Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    This was posted today over at Android Central. I know, I know...it's probably guaranteed to run Android. However, it has NO face buttons which is a rare find for an Android handset. It looks exactly like what I would want from a LG webOS phone. Just a thought...at this point we're all hoping against hope!

Mystery LG handset leaks out with no physical buttons | Android Central
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    I was thinking the same when reading about it on Engadget. please LG, make my wish come true.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/04/2013 at 11:48 PM.
    yeah, ifeel the same, plz save our webos
    I doubt it. The description says that it has no buttons (so no home button) and there's not enough space for the gesture area. And LG would hake such a big phone for its first WebOS device since LG doesn't know if they will profit or not. If LG would make a WebOS phone they'll start with a smaller one first.
    Quote Originally Posted by webOS780 View Post
    I was thinking the same when reading about it on Engadget. please LG, make my wish come true.
    yeah me too. they said it had a large "sensor" area. would be a shocker if true. Though I'm pretty happy now with android just got the galaxy S4 sweet phone. webOS would be missing many of the mainstream apps still.
    MAMISHO likes this.
    Hate to burst any bubbles but Google has been making the move away from hardware buttons for some time, perhaps LG are going with on screen ala Nexus range.

As for apps if this is webOS then that wouldn't bother me, why else would I still have a Pre 3 if it was all about apps? Though some may disagree as its purely a personal choice.

P.s. My Nexus 4 sits in a cupboard :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    ananimus likes this.
    The new Android phones all don't have physical buttons at the front. Even the Nexus 4's 3 "buttons" at the front are soft buttons. That's the new design since Android 4.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Why do you guys do this to yourselves? Lol

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    The new Android phones all don't have physical buttons at the front. Even the Nexus 4's 3 "buttons" at the front are soft buttons. That's the new design since Android 4.
    Tell that to Samsung. They can't seem to keep them off their flagship Galaxy line.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 05/05/2013 at 11:29 AM.
    less talk of what buttons they have, more talk of finding working gfx drivers for them
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    RumoredNow, Remy X and jrb363 like this.
    have you seen the buttonless Samsung Galaxy Nexus, the LG Nexus 4, Asus Nexus 7, etc? They all lack buttons

(what etphoto said )
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonononoki View Post
    I doubt it. The description says that it has no buttons (so no home button) and there's not enough space for the gesture area. And LG would hake such a big phone for its first WebOS device since LG doesn't know if they will profit or not. If LG would make a WebOS phone they'll start with a smaller one first.
    I agree that this is highly unlikely as a new webOS phone since LG just acquired it and wouldn't have hardware ready that quickly (not to mention they purchased webOS for TV's, not mobile devices). Still, I may be wrong, but I think webOS may have been the first smartphone without a home button (it was removed from the Pre+ and Pre 2), as the swipe up gesture made the button redundant. Also, I am using a Galaxy Nexus right now, and the "soft buttons" appear on the screen, but disappear when not in use (i.e. watching a video in landscape mode). There's no reason the gesture area couldn't be included as the bottom part of the screen, then activate when needed and disappear when not in use.
    Quote Originally Posted by nawadley View Post
    I agree that this is highly unlikely as a new webOS phone since LG just acquired it and wouldn't have hardware ready that quickly (not to mention they purchased webOS for TV's, not mobile devices). Still, I may be wrong, but I think webOS may have been the first smartphone without a home button (it was removed from the Pre+ and Pre 2), as the swipe up gesture made the button redundant. Also, I am using a Galaxy Nexus right now, and the "soft buttons" appear on the screen, but disappear when not in use (i.e. watching a video in landscape mode). There's no reason the gesture area couldn't be included as the bottom part of the screen, then activate when needed and disappear when not in use.
    LG actually has been working with webOS with Gram before the acquisition.

NOTE: This is just to mess up those who still think LG is doing a phone.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Why do you guys do this to yourselves? Lol

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Mystery LG handset leaks out with no physical buttons | Android Central

Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    have you seen the buttonless Samsung Galaxy Nexus, the LG Nexus 4, Asus Nexus 7, etc? They all lack buttons

(what etphoto said )
    Samsung only ditched the buttons on the GNex because that was the price for launching a Nexus. Samsung loves it's buttons and its TouchWiz.

Chances are this is a new Android handset. The buttonless approach is gaining momentum. I'd love for it to be a new webOS handset too, but am not holding my breath.

Now if they would port webOS to the open and unlocked Nexus 4, I'd be ecstatic.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    jrb363 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nawadley View Post
    I agree that this is highly unlikely as a new webOS phone since LG just acquired it and wouldn't have hardware ready that quickly (not to mention they purchased webOS for TV's, not mobile devices). .
    That's what I thought when FF OS came to fruitition but Alcatel had a almost-ready-to-ship (according to the FF OS devs) unit in just a matter of weeks.

Oh yeah, and don't forget what Toni pointed out: LG was already working with Gram before the aquisition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    That's what I thought when FF OS came to fruitition but Alcatel had a almost-ready-to-ship (according to the FF OS devs) unit in just a matter of weeks.

Oh yeah, and don't forget what Toni pointed out: LG was already working with Gram before the aquisition.
    Don't forget that HP got it running on their desktop PC within a day. Ports got it running (though very alpha) on a device just hours after release of Open webOS! I'm quite sure that LG COULD get it done in a matter of weeks and to have it run properly if they would put the proper resources to do it!
    Ide say no....but you never know
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    I don't even consider this as a carrot but we can't going gaga over it
    Nexus series is buttonless... I don't mind the physical home button and capacitive buttons on Sammy phones... they don't take up too much space (just look at the narrow bottom area of GS4 with the physical button) unlike all the bezel area taken up by another flagship, HTC One.

I don't see a need for gestures anymore. Its just a waste of bezel space and cripples hardware design b/c you always need to account for that space. If Touchpad can do without it, I don't see why the phone version needs it. Back button is good enough... or on-screen gesture area (which takes a lot of vertical pixels tho; waste of screen space).
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I don't even consider this as a carrot but we can't going gaga over it
    Nexus series is buttonless... I don't mind the physical home button and capacitive buttons on Sammy phones... they don't take up too much space (just look at the narrow bottom area of GS4 with the physical button) unlike all the bezel area taken up by another flagship, HTC One.

I don't see a need for gestures anymore. Its just a waste of bezel space and cripples hardware design b/c you always need to account for that space. If Touchpad can do without it, I don't see why the phone version needs it. Back button is good enough... or on-screen gesture area (which takes a lot of vertical pixels tho; waste of screen space).
    No back button please. But they could do a two-finger back swipe on-screen or just a button in the app like with a lot of Enyo apps.
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    ...I don't see a need for gestures anymore. Its just a waste of bezel space and cripples hardware design b/c you always need to account for that space. If Touchpad can do without it, I don't see why the phone version needs it. Back button is good enough... or on-screen gesture area (which takes a lot of vertical pixels tho; waste of screen space).
    Have you looked at Ubuntu Touch running on a Nexus device?

I think they solved it rather neatly. It's gesture intensive without loosing screen real estate. Swiping in from each edge is a different gesture, with short swipes and long swipes accomplishing different tasks.

On my GNex 100% of the screen is used for display and the UI is loaded with gestures.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast