Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    Dumping Android for webOS would be suicide. Plus, they make some really nice Android devices.
    For me LG can do whatever they want with their stupid line of smartphones that barely sells a few thousand units with their cheap Android operating system. But that doesn't change any fact that, if LG decides to make a WebOS Phone it will be more successful than the silly LG devices with the name of Optimus G or Pro (The only successful phone that have sold a considerable amount of units is the Nexus 4, nothing else). In my consideration, WebOS Phone wouldn't be suicidal move for LG could be a smart move only when things gets done correctly instead of rushing things on like stupid HP did TouchPad/Veer.

And second LG doesn't make good phones at all, they just simply copy Samsung designs (Yes, I'm referring to Optimus line of smartphones) and then LG tries fool everyone else that they are innovative and new (Blah, Blah boring). If anyone pays attention to the latest unimpressive G2() new smartphone that will be unveiling this upcoming month, just merely unimpressive that I'm sure it will be "Me Too" phone that barely customers will be impressed by it and pass on to other phones that are better than LG. And it top of that, LG going to copy Samsung S4 case that was released with their Galaxy line that flips onto the screen and gives you a tiny peek into the display without opening the case....Now you going to tell me that their phones are great, they're merely just copy of Samsung, nothing to see people...keep on moving
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    @PalmPixi_User23,

What's the deal with you being so inflammatory?

You call Ms. Whitman "blondzilla" when it was her that saved webOS from sure death by first giving the go-ahead to open source and spin it off as a separate company. She didn't have to. It was her choice to fight on our behalf.

Now you're crapping on LG, our biggest corporate ally, and one that promised to build not one webOS device, but a whole ecosystem.

If you wanna rant, go start a thread in the lounge
    Choorp and rgloor like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    ... But that doesn't change any fact that, if LG decides to make a WebOS Phone it will be more successful than the silly LG devices with the name of Optimus G or Pro ...

Actually, LG seems to do quite well. Don't hit me as I don't know the exact source anymore, but I think I remember a reading a chart somewhere, showing that their revenue (EDIT: ok, given: revenue is not earnings) is somewhere on place tree or four behind Apple and Samsung, together with ZTE.
    So they seem to have something people like. Maybe it's the price? Their TVs are not bad either, my brother in law has one.

I think LG must be doing at least something right, as they are still a player in the smartphone market to be taken seriously (other than HP or the deceased Palm for that matter). So I don't see them fit for any bashing at the moment.

My 2 cents
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    rgloor likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Actually, LG seems to do quite well. Don't hit me as I don't know the exact source anymore, but I think I remember a reading a chart somewhere, showing that their revenue (EDIT: ok, given: revenue is not earnings) is somewhere on place tree or four behind Apple and Samsung, together with ZTE.
    So they seem to have something people like. Maybe it's the price? Their TVs are not bad either, my brother in law has one.

I think LG must be doing at least something right, as they are still a player in the smartphone market to be taken seriously (other than HP or the deceased Palm for that matter). So I don't see them fit for any bashing at the moment.

My 2 cents
    This source for example:

DailyTech - Samsung, Apple Stay on Top as Smartphone Sales Pass Feature Phone Sales

1. Apple
    2. Samsung
    3. LG
    4. Huawei
    5. ZTE

Seeing that Huawei is growing extremely quick (first mainly in China but now also outside) and pumping up their marketing quite a bit for the new flagship phones (Ascend P6, Ascend Mate etc) I wouldn't be surprised if they take over the 3rd place anytime soon.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quicker for LG to have a bonfire with the cash than try to release a WebOS phone.
    xandros9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    Quicker for LG to have a bonfire with the cash than try to release a WebOS phone.
    which could be why their using it for tv's.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    LG phone sales are up because of Android. I cant see them changing their direction. But it would be nice if they release some developer open webOS phone based on some of their existing models. I don't believe such decision could hurt LG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    This source for example:

DailyTech - Samsung, Apple Stay on Top as Smartphone Sales Pass Feature Phone Sales

1. Apple
    2. Samsung
    3. LG
    4. Huawei
    5. ZTE

Seeing that Huawei is growing extremely quick (first mainly in China but now also outside) and pumping up their marketing quite a bit for the new flagship phones (Ascend P6, Ascend Mate etc) I wouldn't be surprised if they take over the 3rd place anytime soon.
    And what market share does that count to? GSMArena notes the same top 5 as your article but only 4.1% of market share for LG even though it's on the third place. I wouldn't exactly call that "fairing well".
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    And what market share does that count to? GSMArena notes the same top 5 as your article but only 4.1% of market share for LG even though it's on the third place. I wouldn't exactly call that "fairing well".
    Different sources, different stats. Anyway it doesn't say anything about the profitability of their phones either!
    There are 4 main groups of players and sales figures on the market today
    1. higher sales numbers and higher profit than previous quarter/year
    2. higher sales numbers and small or same profit as in previous quarter/year
    3. higher sales numbers and actual loss quarter after quarter or year after year
    4. smaller sales numbers and loss than previous quarter or previous year

Actually, except Apple and Samsung no one is doing great. Keeping a head few millimeters above water is a real success today.
    Last edited by chalx; 07/30/2013 at 11:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    For me LG can do whatever they want with their stupid line of smartphones that barely sells a few thousand units with their cheap Android operating system...

...(The only successful phone that have sold a considerable amount of units is the Nexus 4, nothing else)...

LG shipped 12.1 million phones in Q2 of 2013... Nexus 4 sales only recently topped 3 million and that's over 3 quarters...

So to say that N4 is the only phone of LG's that sells well is not exactly true.

And it's great for LG that they are making headway with brand recognition.

However - the mobile landscape is always subject to change and following Android is still an uphill battle. I wouldn't expect LG to go all in with webOS, but there is room in their portfolio to include it. And they have R&D money to pursue an ecosystem for it as they will have to do with a webOS based TV. TV ecosystems are pretty small. I have a Google TV set top box and the App selection at the Play Store is pretty thin. The smart move is to release the TV and then follow up with some mobile device (maybe 1 phone and 1 tablet to start) with the scaled down App store from the TV p[platform and leverage through developer devices to garner interest from some devs. It's definitely NOT an overnight project.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    LG shipped 12.1 million phones in Q2 of 2013... Nexus 4 sales only recently topped 3 million and that's over 3 quarters...

[...]
    And then we should remember that Samsung always ships way more than it can sell, while Apple's shipping numbers are a pretty accurate representation of its sales.

I wonder where LG stands in that regard... probably closer to real numbers, since Nexus 4 isn't the kind of device that sits around waiting to be dumped as a part of a "buy one, get one free" deal, and i'm pretty sure the Optimus G Pro has been doing well until the release of Galaxy S4 (don't know about now). The S4 isn't doing as well as Samsung has hoped, so it would have been nice to have some figures as to who is sitting on unsold stock, and what exactly is getting ignored in favor of what. But i guess only the carriers know.
    Having recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Y for my mum - who just wanted a cheap phone for texts and calls - I got a chance to see what other brands were on sale in the store. I have to say not one phone there would tempt me away from my Pre 2.
    Samsung, LG et al can bring out what they like, but I'm stocking up on Pre 2's so I never have to buy anything else.
    Remy X and Vistaus like this.
    LG.
    So here's that 'G2'.
    It aint webOS ~ but it *should* have been?

LG gets back to superphones with G2 | Mobile - CNET News

&

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g2-review-963.php

Last edited by Mutoidi; 08/08/2013 at 05:18 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    LG - 'G2'
    It aint webOS ~ but it *should* have been?

LG gets back to superphones with G2 | Mobile - CNET News

nice idea them putting the physical buttons on the rear to handle it easier on large phones, i do wonder tho if the button(s) will snag /activate in someones pocket, same applies to their doubletap the screen to wake the device up, interesting tho to see if anyone copies them.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Even if LG released a developer Open WebOS phone, the only folks who are going to snap it up are those few of us who like to tinker. Most of the major app developers have moved on to greener pastures - and to get them back, we'd need to see some significant sales numbers. I just don't see that happening.

Just like with Ubuntu's Edge device; it's a great idea, but they can't even get the 32 Mil they need to get it to production. Ubuntu's got a much bigger following now than WebOS, and they've managed to rack up over 8 million in pledges - but that's far short of what they need.

If Ubuntu can't get the Edge out the door, I see no reason for LG to look into wasting capital to build a phone that's just not going to have the mass draw it needs. It sucks... but that's just the business end of it. These companies are in this to make money, and niche markets do not a fat bankroll make.

I mean, nothing would make me happier than to see me surprised and shocked by an LG WebOS phone, but I just don't see it. It totally blows, no doubt... I loved WebOS as much as anybody, but the folks in charge just plain screwed up, and our beloved WebOS was the casualty...
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    Mutoidi likes this.
    To argue that LG will produce WebOS-phones because they bought WebOS is like to argue that witches do exist, because brooms do exist as well.

Even though I must confess that the new LG G2 is a broom I would like to see WebOS mount it
    To argue that LG will produce WebOS-phones because they bought WebOS is like to argue that witches do exist, because brooms do exist as well.

Even though I must confess that the new LG G2 is a broom I would like to see WebOS mount it
    That statement makes absolutely no sense. Witches do exist, clearly you have no idea what witchcraft is? I do, because I am one (a Wiccan/eclectic Witch to be exact).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchc...ontemporary%29
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchc...orary%29#Wicca
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    That statement makes absolutely no sense. Witches do exist, clearly you have no idea what witchcraft is? I do, because I am one (a Wiccan/eclectic Witch to be exact).
    Yes, and clearly they don't have any sense of humour whatsoever.

And PS:
    1st - yes I know about Wicca and I know about the new pagan movement and all the other things.

And 2nd - I surely do not want to deflate your ego, but the terminus "witch" is not solely occupied by practicants of wicca and for sure not originally so. Just for your info.

And 3rd - you just proved my point. It is silly to think witches exist, because brooms do. They exist for many reasons but not only because brooms do.

Hope this clears the nebula of your understanding what I say.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    And 3rd - you just proved my point. It is silly to think witches exist, because brooms do. They exist for many reasons but not only because brooms do.

Hope this clears the nebula of your understanding what I say.
    So logically...
    If she weighed as much as a duck...she's made of wood.
    And therefore...
    ...a witch!
    Buddy1969 likes this.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast