Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by axolos View Post
    Btw, I did actually tweet with the German LG Blog dudes about this couple of weeks ago...

My question was, when is a new LG webOS smartphone coming to the market.

Their answer:
    We cannot make any statements about this at the moment.

Here is the whole conversation:
    https://twitter.com/occasiary/status/343008121238732801

I am not saying it is a "yes"... but it is not a "no" either.
    There you have it. If they really weren't interested they would've simply replied "no" (or "nein" since it was the German LG ). But they didn't. So that doesn't mean it's a "yes" but it does mean that they are exploring their possibilities which doesn't rule out the idea of an LG webOS phone.
    wolfgart likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    There you have it. If they really weren't interested they would've simply replied "no" (or "nein" since it was the German LG ). But they didn't. So that doesn't mean it's a "yes" but it does mean that they are exploring their possibilities which doesn't rule out the idea of an LG webOS phone.
    Or they are in an irrelevant work sphere at LG and have no idea...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I think it's unlikely it'll run webOS, but I agree it would be awesome if it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    True. But that still doesn't rule out an LG webOS Phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by axolos View Post
    Btw, I did actually tweet with the German LG Blog dudes about this couple of weeks ago...

My question was, when is a new LG webOS smartphone coming to the market.

Their answer:
    We cannot make any statements about this at the moment.

Here is the whole conversation:
    https://twitter.com/occasiary/status/343008121238732801

I am not saying it is a "yes"... but it is not a "no" either.
    True. But that still doesn't rule out an LG webOS Phone.
    The answer contains a nullity of information... It neither rules out an LG webOS phone or confirms one. It's Schrodinger's Cat and the Twitter conversation is NOT a peek inside the box.

If someone asks me: Are you going to start singing opera?
    And I reply: I cannot make any statements about this at the moment.

It does not follow that I am even considering singing opera - only that I am not discussing it.

I would assign absolutely zero value to the Twitter conversation and I have long championed LG making a webOS phone.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    geekpeter, T-Pad and Buddy1969 like this.
    The answer contains a nullity of information... It neither rules out an LG webOS phone or confirms one. It's Schrodinger's Cat and the Twitter conversation is NOT a peek inside the box.

Maybe we just need to be all calm and the waveform collapses on itself all by itself? hehehehe

I liked your reference, RumoredNow, it waked the geek in me
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    When it comes to Twitter, you're looking for Schrodinger's bird, which may or may not be in the cat...

Anyway, I searched for this or similar thread to post that sometime this week I saw that some new Optimus was coming out powered by... snapdragon which I think is quallcomm. Am I right that webOS (legacy) prefers Quallcomm chips?

Therefore, a possibility exists, but again, the box is closed and there's no sweet birdsong to be heard...
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    When it comes to Twitter, you're looking for Schrodinger's bird, which may or may not be in the cat...

Anyway, I searched for this or similar thread to post that sometime this week I saw that some new Optimus was coming out powered by... snapdragon which I think is quallcomm. Am I right that webOS (legacy) prefers Quallcomm chips?

Therefore, a possibility exists, but again, the box is closed and there's no sweet birdsong to be heard...
    i think someone mentioned on the forums before that while Quallcomm stuff was quite impressive it was also notorious for the hardware largely being undocumented or just being hard to get information for if you wanted to do anything at the hardware level yourself.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post

Qualcomm is a famously closed company that offers no help to those who try to reverse-engineer its products. The Touchpad, Veer and Pre3 run on Qualcomm chips while the older generations used Texas Instruments OMAP A8... i forget what's in the Pre2, probably a faster (1GHz) TI chip...

The are both ARM-derived CPU designs and that's all that matters for webOS. Qualcomm is bad news for hackers, but for manufacturing, anything goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Qualcomm is a famously closed company that offers no help to those who try to reverse-engineer its products. The Touchpad, Veer and Pre3 run on Qualcomm chips while the older generations used Texas Instruments OMAP A8... i forget what's in the Pre2, probably a faster (1GHz) TI chip...

The are both ARM-derived CPU designs and that's all that matters for webOS. Qualcomm is bad news for hackers, but for manufacturing, anything goes.
    +1 and isnt this one of the only reasons the cyanogenmod people had luck with the touchpad as there were several quallcom touchpads with their own native android packaged with it that got leaked into the public so those drivers/source got used as a much needed boost to their porting efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
    This was posted today over at Android Central. I know, I know...it's probably guaranteed to run Android. However, it has NO face buttons which is a rare find for an Android handset. It looks exactly like what I would want from a LG webOS phone. Just a thought...at this point we're all hoping against hope!

Mystery LG handset leaks out with no physical buttons | Android Central
    LG better release this phone with webos installed I have a upgrade and want to go a galxay s4 but if this is truly LG actually supporting webos then i will even buy the phone off contract! (am i getting my hopes up again lol ) Until the final day webos dies once and for all, i will be support anyway i can! Long Live Webos!
    purplepansy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    LG better release this phone with webos installed I have a upgrade and want to go a galxay s4 but if this is truly LG actually supporting webos then i will even buy the phone off contract! (am i getting my hopes up again lol ) Until the final day webos dies once and for all, i will be support anyway i can! Long Live Webos!
    We all wish that LG will support WebOS, but so far they haven't expressed any interest in the OS besides their old announcements of making Televisions. To make matter worse, they continuing on making Android devices and the latest points that they will be announcing (on their August event on 7th) their G(previosuly known as Optimus G) line of smartphones loaded up with Android v4.2.2 software on it. Which again puts into doubt the future of WebOS with LG....
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    We all wish that LG will support WebOS, but so far they haven't expressed any interest in the OS besides their old announcements of making Televisions. To make matter worse, they continuing on making Android devices and the latest points that they will be announcing (on their August event on 7th) their G(previosuly known as Optimus G) line of smartphones loaded up with Android v4.2.2 software on it. Which again puts into doubt the future of WebOS with LG....
    Why should this be a surprise to anyone?

Business as usual, it would be insane for LG to stop making and marketing Android devices. And we'll be lucky if we'll even see an unlocked/off-contract device running webOS out of the box...
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Why should this be a surprise to anyone?

Business as usual, it would be insane for LG to stop making and marketing Android devices. And we'll be lucky if we'll even see an unlocked/off-contract device running webOS out of the box...
    IF LG is developing webOS for mobile... That won't happen overnight. Why would they withdraw all mobile products while they wait for a device that might be 12 months+ in the pipeline? How long was the G line in the works? Why scrap that? They are getting good traction with that line and to discontinue it now would mean a loss on investment in R&D and production...

IF LG is developing webOS for mobile... It wouldn't be "all in." It would start as a niche market. I'd like to think LG learned a lot by putting out the Nexus 4. Hopefully (with over 3 million N4s sold and counting) the lesson includes the realization that an unlocked developer style device sold independently of carriers can be a success and generate lots of good buzz in the media and among users.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I've said it a zillion times, just doesn't make sense to spend all that money on a "mobile" OS just to put it in a TV. Idk

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I've said it a zillion times, just doesn't make sense to spend all that money on a "mobile" OS just to put it in a TV. Idk

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    You assume that they paid all that money...

It was never public what the amount was...

Here is how I think it went down (I could be wrong)...

HP: LG take webOS from us, we have no clue what to do with it, we will pay LG money to support it, make it look like we got paid, LG you can turn it into a media center with a TV... Here is a full license to all patents...

LG: Yeah we need the patents to make sure Apple does not sue us, as long as you keep paying for this webOS stuff we will string it along (make it look like we will update it, update web sites here or there, even put a few post of job's)....
    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    Dumping Android for webOS would be suicide. Plus, they make some really nice Android devices.
    Why "dump"?

The LG is big enough to make both!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    You assume that they paid all that money...

It was never public what the amount was...

Here is how I think it went down (I could be wrong)...

HP: LG take webOS from us, we have no clue what to do with it, we will pay LG money to support it, make it look like we got paid, LG you can turn it into a media center with a TV... Here is a full license to all patents...

LG: Yeah we need the patents to make sure Apple does not sue us, as long as you keep paying for this webOS stuff we will string it along (make it look like we will update it, update web sites here or there, even put a few post of job's)....
    I doubt it was THAT bad....

But you aren't too far from the truth either. HP was already working on spinning of webOS as Gram (starting the moment they got to work on stripping out proprietary code to release a working open source version) and this was a chance to distance themselves from the bad publicity of shutting down Palm.. basically, they wanted to show the public and their investors that they (HP) are letting webOS sink or swim on its own.

Originally, the web/cloud services division was part of Gram (brand created but never fully spun off), and LG was one of several companies that went to check out webOS as it was being offered. They liked what they saw, and after a pilot project they decided to go ahead with with building out an actual SmartTV platform, based, in part on their experience with GoogleTV. They had a chance to correct everything they didn't like about the Google offering, so it was a breath of fresh air for LG, even if they possibly had to invest more into R&D than they could have while using an "off the shelf" product.

The HP board was relieved to see a large company invest into a fairly big and visible project based on webOS, and it sounds like they basically said, "Like it? You can have it!"... I'm not sure how much money exchanged hands, but LG felt that it was easier to keep the webOS engineers full time than to maintain their own fork of webOS in-house, and it made more sense to have full control of the source, while HP was happy to deflect the blame for any future happenings and wash their hands of the Palm mismanagement situation.

I'm fairly sure LG got the webOS division at a bargain price compared to what Palm was worth with all of its IP, but HP with its writedowns and furious shareholders wouldn't pay to prop up webOS past the point where LG is using it for its own gain. It's a market economy rather than the Soviet Union, and LG is as big of a player as HP, with its own decision making. It liked what it saw and knew that Gram would go out of business without corporate sponsor. It knew this was a good deal. HP knew that selling webOS eliminates all headaches, and while LG didn't care for the legacy app store and cloud backup, HP wanted to turn that into an enterprise solution, so it's win/win for everyone.

No, i wasn't there, but that's my logic. HP made a show of "due diligence", LG saw a good product, decided to use it and got offered a good deal to take it off HP's hands. I really doubt HP would invest in a product (SmartTV) that they themselves aren't selling and won't get a penny out of.

Maybe i'm too much of an optimist, but... webOS was already considered "dead", so whatever happened to Gram at that point, nobody even cared. Meg Whitman has her own reputation to build, hence the "extra care" to give webOS another chance post-shutdown, a proprietary product they were spinning off that was already "killed" by Apotheker. IMHO, if you were offered a "free" refrigerator on Craigslist, i doubt the owner would pay for delivery AND your electricity you use for it
    RumoredNow and renater like this.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who says LG is coming out with a webOS phone.
    RumoredNow and Buddy1969 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgcorn View Post
    My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who says LG is coming out with a webOS phone.
    the mystical rainbow colored unicorn webOS device.
    xandros9 likes this.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast