Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Well, IMHO, LG can't just sit there and be dependent on Google for all its OS needs... so I'm not entirely surprised to see them buy webOS when HP was so focused on unloading it in a graceful and face-saving manner...

The price was right, and the product still has some potential, so best of luck to them
    still a common misconception we seem to be falling into.

LG (the mobile device makers) didnt buy webOS to use or even acknowledge
    LG (the tv device makers) did buy webOS

so when people say "LG" they assume 1 thing (shiney phones etc) but its actually the other totally unrelated LG (shiney new TV's) that have webOS.

the 2 "different" LG's have utterly nothing to do with each other, what 1 does doesnt affect the other so we shoudl stop saying "LG" and "webOS" while thinking of phones/tablets.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    still a common misconception we seem to be falling into.

LG (the mobile device makers) didnt buy webOS to use or even acknowledge
    LG (the tv device makers) did buy webOS

so when people say "LG" they assume 1 thing (shiney phones etc) but its actually the other totally unrelated LG (shiney new TV's) that have webOS.

the 2 "different" LG's have utterly nothing to do with each other, what 1 does doesnt affect the other so we shoudl stop saying "LG" and "webOS" while thinking of phones/tablets.
    Er, I think you will find they most certainly ARE the same company.

Sure, they are different divisions within the company but they both operate under the same Vice Chairman (Bon-Joon Koo). It may be unlikely that they will do anything we like with WebOS but it is not impossible.
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Er, I think you will find they most certainly ARE the same company.

Sure, they are different divisions within the company but they both operate under the same Vice Chairman (Bon-Joon Koo). It may be unlikely that they will do anything we like with WebOS but it is not impossible.
    i just mean that the phone division dont have or want webOS so why would they even entertain the idea of using it, webOS was bought for use on televisions by their TV division so thats all it will get used for.

LG / "they" as in the mobile division wont do anything with webOS (good or bad) because "they" dont have it or want it, its not on their radar.
    i just mean that the phone division dont have or want webOS so why would they even entertain the idea of using it, webOS was bought for use on televisions by their TV division so thats all it will get used for.

LG / "they" as in the mobile division wont do anything with webOS (good or bad) because "they" dont have it or want it, its not on their radar.
    I think you are making an artificial division, having worked at Nokia (Telecom's division before they sold it to Marconi) and there was a similar separation between Telecom's and Mobile but anything one division had access to all did.

I agree that is not on their radar but to say they don't have it is disingenuous, if they wanted to use it I am sure they could. The problem at the moment is they don't want to. I guess it is our job as fans to make them want to - or at least to investigate it.
    Remy X, Vistaus and Rnp like this.
    I dont believe there is any chance for webOS LG phone. Maybe they release optional open webOS image for some of their Android devices as a sign of good will if comunity managest to pass all obstacless.
    As time goes by, I'm more and more interested in their webOS TV. Idea of gesture pad on remote and option to have every source (tuner, digital tuner, hdmi 1,2,3...) in separate cards which you can control with gestures looks great.

Again, the point you are missing is that the webOS team (former HP/Palm) currently works at LG USA R&D. R&D=Research&Development. Which is a newly formed division researching tech. TECH. That includes phones, tablets, smart watches and whatnot. So who knows what the webOS team is researching ATM beyond TV? Again, they work for LG R&D.
    bluenote and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I dont believe there is any chance for webOS LG phone. Maybe they release optional open webOS image for some of their Android devices as a sign of good will if comunity managest to pass all obstacless.
    As time goes by, I'm more and more interested in their webOS TV. Idea of gesture pad on remote and option to have every source (tuner, digital tuner, hdmi 1,2,3...) in separate cards which you can control with gestures looks great.
    That's to say it will support gestures. webOS 3.x doesn't have a gesture area nor does it have support gestures (due to the lack of a gesture area). So either they add support for it in 3.x or OWO or they ship it without a gesture remote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    That's to say it will support gestures. webOS 3.x doesn't have a gesture area nor does it have support gestures (due to the lack of a gesture area). So either they add support for it in 3.x or OWO or they ship it without a gesture remote.
    LunaCE is based on Open Source and supplies some nice gestures...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    I think you are making an artificial division, having worked at Nokia (Telecom's division before they sold it to Marconi) and there was a similar separation between Telecom's and Mobile but anything one division had access to all did.

I agree that is not on their radar but to say they don't have it is disingenuous, if they wanted to use it I am sure they could. The problem at the moment is they don't want to. I guess it is our job as fans to make them want to - or at least to investigate it.
    unless we somehow pull a ton of apps out of thin air its not happening in reality, they have access to OS they have used for a while and know have a wealth of apps/resources they dont have any reason to want to use webOS and i cant think of a single good reason we could put forward to convince them otherwise, eps when 99% of the arguments would be shot down with "theres little to no apps".
    unless we somehow pull a ton of apps out of thin air its not happening in reality, they have access to OS they have used for a while and know have a wealth of apps/resources they dont have any reason to want to use webOS and i cant think of a single good reason we could put forward to convince them otherwise, eps when 99% of the arguments would be shot down with "theres little to no apps".
    I'm sure that if they put enough resources to it, they could quite easily make the 50 biggest apps available natively using Enyo fairly quickly. For the rest of the not so big/famous app they could rely on ACL or any other technology to run Android apps.
    renater, Vistaus, Rnp and 2 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    LunaCE is based on Open Source and supplies some nice gestures...
    I know but that's not via a gesture AREA which the guy I responded to was talking about... Unless you have uncovered a hidden gesture area on the TP and WindsorNot?
    Well... the fact is one: the system begun in smartphones and can be adjusted to TVs, okay?

Let's gonna imagine that the SO is a sucess in TV's market, right?

In this days, the "technofashionword" is "ecossystem"... with the webOS bringing shine to LG TVs, can be interesting invest in smartphones with webOS, a "bazilion's" customers market that can gain with his "home ecossystem"...

And more: with Google giving attention to his Glass, the Google TV have no space and is leaving a vacuum to webOS TVs grow fast.

I don't know about USA or Europe but here; in Brazil, TV's are more important in a home than computers & mobile phones... with Fifa World Cup, we gonna beat the TV sell's records! All years this happens...

So, I want the smartphones & tablets, of course... but... If we can have smartphones & tablets & TVs... well... why not?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    I know but that's not via a gesture AREA which the guy I responded to was talking about... Unless you have uncovered a hidden gesture area on the TP and WindsorNot?
    It's a supplement to your response to chalx...

The notion that a separate area is needed for effective gesture driven UI has proven to be outdated.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    It sounds to me like they will use webOS for tvs (and other appliances) and try to use firefox os for phones as firefox is a well known brand so it has a chance to stand out to consumers buying at the local phone shop. So the firefox phone should be able to interface nicely with the webos Tv. Maybe they make webapps that can technically run on both?
    HP gains if the LG app store takes off as HP retains ownership of the app catalog.

If this is all true, I'm worried that LG only works on the parts of webOS that can work on a tv and the rest of webOS which is needed for phones/tablets gets stripped out--I don't know if webOS ports can bridge the gap.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    It sounds to me like they will use webOS for tvs (and other appliances) and try to use firefox os for phones as firefox is a well known brand so it has a chance to stand out to consumers buying at the local phone shop. So the firefox phone should be able to interface nicely with the webos Tv. Maybe they make webapps that can technically run on both?
    HP gains if the LG app store takes off as HP retains ownership of the app catalog.

If this is all true, I'm worried that LG only works on the parts of webOS that can work on a tv and the rest of webOS which is needed for phones/tablets gets stripped out--I don't know if webOS ports can bridge the gap.
    FirefoxOS is targeted at really low end phones, like the Pre- spec, which will eventually replace some feature phones... so i doubt that low end phones will be designed to interface with high end TVs... the high end Android lines though, you can count on it...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I tried the FireFox OS emulator... It's pretty fugly and it drives like a scooter.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Btw, I did actually tweet with the German LG Blog dudes about this couple of weeks ago...

My question was, when is a new LG webOS smartphone coming to the market.

Their answer:
    We cannot make any statements about this at the moment.

Here is the whole conversation:
    https://twitter.com/occasiary/status/343008121238732801

I am not saying it is a "yes"... but it is not a "no" either.
    It would be great just to hear that someone on the planet is working on a smartphone. One person. Anyone... anyone?
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by axolos View Post
    Btw, I did actually tweet with the German LG Blog dudes about this couple of weeks ago...

My question was, when is a new LG webOS smartphone coming to the market.

Their answer:
    We cannot make any statements about this at the moment.

Here is the whole conversation:
    https://twitter.com/occasiary/status/343008121238732801

I am not saying it is a "yes"... but it is not a "no" either.

I pressed Thanks and No Thanks... Like and Don't Like...

Advancement of information = 0.00

Mobile Nations Devotee
    xandros9 likes this.
    No clue it this was suggested before BUT
    .... If I was LG I would consider making a a WebOS TV / Tablet combo, whereby the tablet controls the TV interface and allows user to be browsing, tweeting, etc... A lot of folk like to be on tablets and TV same-time.

Tablet allows
    - typing on tablet appears on screen,
    - Acts as remote for smart WebOS TV
    - swipe around TV via tablet and so on.

LG TAVLET

Next step a phone to add to eco system.
    Vistaus, jrb363, k4ever and 2 others like this.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast