Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 2 Post By Rnp
  • 1 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 1 Post By eblade
  • 2 Post By ananimus
    Yowtch... That's gotta cost more than a compact car.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    xandros9 likes this.
    Can I bring in my pocket?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    boovish and xandros9 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Yowtch... That's gotta cost more than a compact car.
    I saw an article several weeks ago that speculated that a 4k 80" screen would cost around 25k. It was fairly close to the beginning of April, though, so it might've been a joke.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Aye, they're really going to have to updated the webOS graphical assets for that one...
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    xandros9 likes this.
    Maybe someone could enlighten me -- I must be missing something.

[I say this as someone who uses their Pre3 and Touchpads daily - I won't go to Apple on principle and Google likely for the same reason ]

Ever since I saw the article last year about HP, I mean Gram working with LG for the possibility of a WebOS powered TV -- it just made no sense to me. No more sense than a WebOS powered printer which HP was talking about.

What is the advantage to having WebOS on a tv? or any sort of non phone/tablet sort of device? One idea would be some level of integration between the devices but that kind of thing usually happens at the API level and WebOS runs on linux so you could just port the needed service(s) to any other device running Linux.

I'll be the first to admit I was expecting very tight & fluid integration between Tablets and Phones on WebOS -- touch to share is flaky at best, and before things died there was nothing I saw that talked about how Palm planned to expand upon the concept.

Is the excitement simply to be able to say yes there is one or two other WebOS devices out there? Some of the unique things that WebOS may bring don't seem to really matter much on a device like a TV. Whether it's fancy notifications, or gestures or inductive charging. The lack of apps, specifically media apps for streaming stuff I believe would put a larger burden on a WebOS powered TV than using something like Android (and customizing it heavily for TV usage).

I like WebOS, and thought it had a lot of promise - there's still a part of me that is holding out hope (I wish I could let go easier) that things would/will turn around. But really every single day that goes by WebOS falls further and further behind -- it's been this way for a good two and a half years now. Sure they may have feature X or feature Y that some of the competition may still lack -- but the amount of work to get feature X and Y on a competing platform is likely significantly less effort then getting features A-M on WebOS.

If HP had invested the $10B they spent on Autonomy on WebOS+mobile -- we could of been somewhere. Because it really will take spending in the multiples of billions to make it happen (even back when HP acquired Palm I believed this). Otherwise your just fooling yourself. Samsung and Apple have massive war chests(easily $10B a piece) to wage against anyone who shows even the slightest bit of competitiveness. It's really unfortunate that the mobile space has come to this.

Fortunately my own needs are quite meagre so I can get by fine with WebOS for now (and have 2 more Pre3s, a Pre2 and a Veer as backups - along with 2 backup touchpads).

But I just don't understand how anyone can get excited about a WebOS TV.

I guess I'll go back to my hole for now, I don't visit the message boards here often but today I saw this at the top of the list and I just wanted to ask the Q -- because I haven't seen it explained to me yet.

*big sigh*
    Internally, webOS is a lot more than just those things. The service bus, the all JavaScript underpinnings, the all html/JavaScript outer shell.. Its a beautiful system, in theory, with a lot of ugly glue that made it all work. The major upgrades in components are getting rid of the ugly stuff.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Can I bring in my pocket?

Best Regards...
    Well, this is the next logical step after the Note 2's success, yeah? ;-)
    Rnp and xandros9 like this.
    maybe, it is good to make the webos become a luxury