Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By RumoredNow
  • 3 Post By ToniCipriani
  • 3 Post By RumoredNow
  • 2 Post By Sanjay
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  1.    #1  
    So the new buzz on the front page is that LG is making a FireFox OS phone for emerging markets.

LG turning to Firefox OS for developing markets, whither webOS? | webOS Nation

I say that's fine. Have a look at in their emulator (requires the FireFox browser): https://people.mozilla.com/~myk/r2d2b2g/

It looks very much "emerging."

This deal was inked long ago, I'm sure. Mozilla and LG announced the partnership in late February and LG already had a demo device ready. It's all good for emerging markets. LG wants market share and it is a decent enough strategy for the low end where entry level smart phones are what consumers will buy.

But what about North America, Europe, Japan, Korea, Australia and more affluent population segments throughout India, China, Asia, South America and Africa?

Is that the level of hardware LG would want to push for more affluent markets? I think not.

WebOS 2.x (or beyond) needs better hardware than what the FireFox "basic" phones are likely to see. Certified 'Powered by Firefox OS' devices require Firefox Marketplace, minimum hardware specs | The Verge
    • 800 MHz Processor
    • 256 MB RAM
    • QVGA Display

Heck, lets bump it up for arguments sake: how about 1.0 GHZ on the processor and double the RAM at 512 MB? That's a Pre 2. That's standing still. Taking a step backward even.

How many webOS enthusiasts wish fervently that the hardware were better? Most of 'em? I can't remember a single post around here saying "we want new phones with the same old spec."

Now... If LG would release a port of webOS 2.x or 3.x to the Nexus 4 that would be worth something. Or a phone with that same spec running a newly revamped webOS 4.x. Heck, to test the waters they could even dilute that spec a bit. How about dual core 1.2 GHZ and 2 GB RAM. 8 GB internal storage and a micro SD slot that takes up to 32 GB. Maybe back off the screen resolution as well. These would be worth waiting for.

There is plenty of room in the middle. webOS need not start a resurgence on the high end. It definitely would suffer at the low end. The hardware has to support the OS in a reasonable fashion to make it a pleasant user experience.

Never mind the low end. Let FireFox keep that...

My two cents.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 04/10/2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typical typo transgression
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Don't even attempt with 512MB. Pre 3 has 512MB (granted, the Qualcomm modem takes up a sizable chunk so actual useful is more like 384MB) and right out of the box I get TMC errors. Had to install Uberkernel and JSTop, plus constant garbage collecting for it to even work properly. That is actually one thing I don't like about webOS, it's a crazy memory hog, memory management is just outright terrible.

IMO it needs at least 1GB.
    jrb363, RumoredNow and Remy X like this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Don't even attempt with 512MB. Pre 3 has 512MB (granted, the Qualcomm modem takes up a sizable chunk so actual useful is more like 384MB) and right out of the box I get TMC errors. Had to install Uberkernel and JSTop, plus constant garbage collecting for it to even work properly. That is actually one thing I don't like about webOS, it's a crazy memory hog, memory management is just outright terrible.

Right as rain. Thanks for backing up my point.

Anyone looking at the upcoming FireFox phone and saying: "why not webOS?" is ignoring the bargain basement spec that FireFox has for compatibility...

Mobile Nations Devotee
    jrb363, Rnp and Remy X like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post

Actually, I respectfully disagree. In a full year on my Pre 2, I never had a single TMC error. Sure was shocked to see I get it on my Pre 3 with the same habits if I don't reboot every few days.

Maybe RumoredNow is right to some degree about webOS, but I don't think it's anything that some attention and development wouldn't fix. You shouldn't have to require more than 512MB for a midrange mobile device, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Actually, I respectfully disagree. In a full year on my Pre 2, I never had a single TMC error. Sure was shocked to see I get it on my Pre 3 with the same habits if I don't reboot every few days.

Maybe RumoredNow is right to some degree about webOS, but I don't think it's anything that some attention and development wouldn't fix. You shouldn't have to require more than 512MB for a midrange mobile device, IMO.
    Pre 2 uses an TI OMAP360. The memory usage by the modem is less than the Qualcomm, so the problem isn't as apparent, since there's more system memory.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Century22 View Post
    The fact that webOS doesn't work well on underpowered hardware doesn't necessarily make it a high-end brand. Most webOS devices were quickly discounted to bargain prices within a couple months of release.
    I don't know if you're trolling or just stupid. Palm has a long history of supporting their hardware and with the exception of the HP fiasco they did a great job in supporting the Pre, Pre 2, Pixi smartphones. Granted, they weren't where we all wanted them to be but they were definitely NOT "quickly discounted" within a few months.
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    As we all have seen with the WebOS porting to the Nexus device, even on high performance devices it does not run well, as long as the driver issues are not solved.
    So this is not necessarily a hardware issue. And even if it were, I find it ... well, let's call it "daring" ... to take bad performance for a quality sign.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    As we all have seen with the WebOS porting to the Nexus device, even on high performance devices it does not run well, as long as the driver issues are not solved...
    No OS will run well if the drivers are not all in place. An OEM like LG would be in a position to put proprietary drivers onboard and not have to worry about creating open source versions from scratch.

So this is not necessarily a hardware issue...
    Not the hardware issue I was addressing at any rate. I'm sure the OS could be pared down and optimized to run smooth on the spec that FireFox does... How much functionality would get sacrificed to do so? Is that what you envision for webOS... Slim it down, cut out functions and put it at the low end hardware wise?

And even if it were, I find it ... well, let's call it "daring" ... to take bad performance for a quality sign.
    Lack of onboard resources leads to poor performance. Would you say that webOS hardware was always where it should have been to support the OS? Is there a claim that when released the hardware was up to spec with what other makers had on the shelves at the same time?

Computing devices that run at the minimum hardware requirements always suffer with performance issues. One of webOS's heralded strengths was always ease of multitasking. Anyone giving it any thought realizes multitasking takes RAM and CPU speed...

I LOVE webOS the operating system. I am not overly fond of the hardware. Let's not confuse the two. I'm talking about the OS as it exists and could possibly evolve. It has no current hardware. Why limit the vision of what hardware it should run on in future?

Mobile Nations Devotee
    As we all have seen with the WebOS porting to the Nexus device, even on high performance devices it does not run well, as long as the driver issues are not solved.
    So this is not necessarily a hardware issue. And even if it were, I find it ... well, let's call it "daring" ... to take bad performance for a quality sign.
    you're actually looking at a case here, where all of the hardware that webOS ran on had very specific hardware abilities that the drivers supported, which are not supports on very many other pieces of hardware/driver sets. The sysmgr compositor was built very specifically for the hardware that was used.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Now... If LG would release a port of webOS 2.x or 3.x to the Nexus 4 that would be worth something.
    Not that I would not jump at a Nexus 4, if webOS were to be ported to it. But, considering that the 'Nexus' is a Google brand, I seriously doubt that they would condone any such move by LG.

There is plenty of room in the middle. webOS need not start a resurgence on the high end. It definitely would suffer at the low end. The hardware has to support the OS in a reasonable fashion to make it a pleasant user experience.

Never mind the low end. Let FireFox keep that...
    This I totally agree with. I don't mind a phone with less than the latest & greatest specs, but I surely don't want more low end hardware, that is unable to do justice to webOS and in the process make the OS look bad.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    RumoredNow and vasekvi like this.
    but in the end LG only wants/needed webOS and asociated patents for TV's......... and thats about it really.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Not that I would not jump at a Nexus 4, if webOS were to be ported to it. But, considering that the 'Nexus' is a Google brand, I seriously doubt that they would condone any such move by LG.
    And after the 5th Nexus phone launches in October?

*mwahawhawhawhawhawwww*

Mobile Nations Devotee
    kevets likes this.
    And after the 5th Nexus phone launches in October?

*mwahawhawhawhawhawwww*
    Well, I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but I think Google will still have issues with any official LG moves to bring webOS to the Nexus brand. Even the older models.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 05/10/2013 at 02:04 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Well, I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but I think Google will still have issues with any official LG moves to bring webOS to the Nexus brand, even the older models.
    I know I'm just dreaming... But what the heck.

Mobile Nations Devotee