webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Upcoming & Rumored webOS Devices > Windsor Not
Windsor Not
Like Tree104Likes

Old 04/28/2013, 03:07 PM   #141 (permalink)

How many WindsorNot are known to be in existence? Single digits? Is this the only one?

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2013, 01:43 AM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Other big box (Rovio) have updated there apps on Android/iOS, but ignore webOS, and we paid....

Open webOS is webOS 3.0.5, stripped of close source code, still 2011 code based....

Bricking the phone would be hard, do not flash touchpanel firmware, boot.bin, modem firmware, and a6 firmware (extract what is on the device)...

If I got the extract of the files above, a memboot backup... I would be able to create a doctor...

Can't get past activation because he does not want to modify the code without a backup first...
@john Steffes

You nailed it right about Open WebOS. It is not ready for daily use..and it's like WebOS 3.0.5 minus 50% of the important codes ..synergy, integration to profiles, catalog, and a few other key areas. Therefore even if WebOS ports can get it working on Nexus -- can we use it? No...
So we're back to square one again.
Truth be said Steffes, there is no way HP or LG will allow Open Webos to include all the 'removed' code into the open source for so many reasons in the near future, and it's the same reason why LG decided to just license WebOS and not try implementing Open WebOS.

Truth be also said. whoever that is trying to port Open WebOS to a 'new' device, reality is setting in, and the other pieces at this moment are not in place - catalog, applications, profile all of which are not within the control of the community but in the hands of developers...Which is why HP was trying to positio Enyo 2 for developers to easily port applications to various mobile devices. Not sure on the technicality of such activities or the effort/resources required..but from analysis - not much traction among non-webOS developers.

So for those existing WebOS users - Pre 2, 3, Touchpad..I'd say the nearest visible hope is this PIC -ACL layer. Not sure how legit they are or whether the wrapper works on ALL android apps..But getting those applications compatible to WebOS 3.0.x OR Open WebOS (if it happens) is just one piece of the jigsaw puzzle.

It is depressing that even within the community there is no unity- but the fact is that Open WebOS on a new device will not cut it to build market share, we need applications and it seems right now ACL is one possible solution upfront to solve the lack of applications. Besides that is new hardware...a phone...and right now there is no light either from LG or HP on this.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Onanii likes this.
Old 04/29/2013, 01:55 AM   #143 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
How many WindsorNot are known to be in existence? Single digits? Is this the only one?
I know of at least 3.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 and Vistaus like this.
Old 04/29/2013, 02:38 AM   #144 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

daexpression,

LG did not license webOS, they purchased webOS.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2013, 04:09 AM   #145 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@daexpression: Don't forget that HP is licensing webOS Pro which *does* include the App Catalog and Synergy and stuff. So all an OEM has to do is license that and bada-bing bada-boom.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2013, 04:58 AM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
@daexpression: Don't forget that HP is licensing webOS Pro which *does* include the App Catalog and Synergy and stuff. So all an OEM has to do is license that and bada-bing bada-boom.
@vistaus -- IF OpenWebOS pro was already available and is equal or better then 3.0.5 ...THEN why didn't LG Bite? it would make lots of sense to take up the newer code / an open source code for their TV initiatives..unless they had already done their Due D..and found that Open WebOS is still cooking and is not ready for prime time for many more months....
Anyway at this point - HP is very quiet on Open WebOS which is expected. after all they've "transferred" the soft skills to LG when they sold away WebOS?...so what team they have right now are those related to profiles, catalog, synergy related stuff..
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2013, 01:50 PM   #147 (permalink)
News Contributor

would be nice if we could have a video of Windsor in action detailing full specifications Thanks.
akitayo is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 05/12/2013, 01:00 AM   #148 (permalink)

Does anyone know the model identifier of the WindsorNot?

If so, it might be easier to find the rare model that goes up for sale, presumably on chinese websites like the TPGo prototypes.
quiestbml is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 05/12/2013, 09:18 AM   #149 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
Does anyone know the model identifier of the WindsorNot?

If so, it might be easier to find the rare model that goes up for sale, presumably on chinese websites like the TPGo prototypes.

Well, I guess you could always try for an 'HSTNH-C30CN' - and see what comes back at Ya? - If anything.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT A-D. ~ HP iPaq. hx-2110. WM 6.01.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 05/12/2013 at 09:39 AM.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and lemanho like this.
Old 02/27/2014, 01:39 AM   #150 (permalink)

great!!!!!
i want it!!!!!!!!!!!
solar1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2014, 06:29 PM   #151 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
I could tell that the display had quite a bit more resolution than my pre3. I believe it was either 1024x800 or perhaps even 720p. It was much faster in response time than my pre3 overcloked to 1.9ghz. I felt like it must have had more than 1 CPU core. It felt at least as fast as my 1.7ghz overclocked touchpad. It had no gesture area, and a home button just like the touchpad. It would have been a beautiful device, the back was either glass or some kind of hard plastic and upon removal there was the familiar charging coil in it for touchstone use. I believe the screen size was about 4.3 in. All around feel was very hi end, had a bezel that was soft touch and kind of tacky so it wouldn't slip from your hand. All you could do was wish they had released such a wonderful product. This would never have been confused with a less than flagship device. It was quite nice in finish, and a joy to use on WiFi (couldn't try phone radio, the one I was using didn't have that functioning). I was told it was originally a Verizon version but had at&t software flashed onto it to demonstrate it working for us. I didn't get any more detail about the software than that other than it was said to be running "3.0.5".

It felt further along than I expected it to, like it wouldn't have taken that much to finish it. Which makes it even more of a crime that it never happened...
Wait, IT WAS ON VERIZON. I WILL GIVE YOU BOTH MY KIDNEYS! AND ALL MY MONEY!
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2014, 05:15 AM   #152 (permalink)

are this phone still work today?!!
newphonescomingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2014, 09:36 AM   #153 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newphonescomingout View Post
If you could get it past the login screen, then yes, but we only have knowledge of a few in existence
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2014, 02:50 PM   #154 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
@john Steffes

You nailed it right about Open WebOS. It is not ready for daily use..and it's like WebOS 3.0.5 minus 50% of the important codes ..synergy, integration to profiles, catalog, and a few other key areas. Therefore even if WebOS ports can get it working on Nexus -- can we use it? No...
So we're back to square one again.
Truth be said Steffes, there is no way HP or LG will allow Open Webos to include all the 'removed' code into the open source for so many reasons in the near future, and it's the same reason why LG decided to just license WebOS and not try implementing Open WebOS.

Truth be also said. whoever that is trying to port Open WebOS to a 'new' device, reality is setting in, and the other pieces at this moment are not in place - catalog, applications, profile all of which are not within the control of the community but in the hands of developers...Which is why HP was trying to positio Enyo 2 for developers to easily port applications to various mobile devices. Not sure on the technicality of such activities or the effort/resources required..but from analysis - not much traction among non-webOS developers.

So for those existing WebOS users - Pre 2, 3, Touchpad..I'd say the nearest visible hope is this PIC -ACL layer. Not sure how legit they are or whether the wrapper works on ALL android apps..But getting those applications compatible to WebOS 3.0.x OR Open WebOS (if it happens) is just one piece of the jigsaw puzzle.

It is depressing that even within the community there is no unity- but the fact is that Open WebOS on a new device will not cut it to build market share, we need applications and it seems right now ACL is one possible solution upfront to solve the lack of applications. Besides that is new hardware...a phone...and right now there is no light either from LG or HP on this.
Based on your honest but depressing truths the question for me is why did HP bother? What did they really hope to gain open sourcing what little they did? And that much seemed half hearted at best as the end product is really little more than the skeleton of what you need for a true OS. Were they expecting OEM's to beat down their door and make it work for their phones when HP already washed their hands of anything WebOS related? It doesn't make much sense, but then again the entire HP/WebOS implosion didn't make a lot of sense to me either.
joeytino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2014, 06:52 PM   #155 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
Based on your honest but depressing truths the question for me is why did HP bother? What did they really hope to gain open sourcing what little they did? And that much seemed half hearted at best as the end product is really little more than the skeleton of what you need for a true OS. Were they expecting OEM's to beat down their door and make it work for their phones when HP already washed their hands of anything WebOS related? It doesn't make much sense, but then again the entire HP/WebOS implosion didn't make a lot of sense to me either.
Well the best is yet to come... WebOSPorts, comes out with LunaOS (pivotCE: webOS Ports surprises with TouchPad port, name/logo change)... LG came out with webOS on T.V.'s(WebOS is back baby! at CES 2014), iOS copies cards (YEP, iOS7 has card multitasking.), and Android's designer Matias Duarte: "Wow, it's WebOS nostalgia week!" (former webOS designer) dreams of webOS...

Even if Palm/HP/LG/Qualcomm do nothing for Mobile/Tablets, the rest of the world is copying the idea's although not as good as the original...

Although HP released a half baked source, it does not surprise me that the community would take it and attempt to make it shine...

Last edited by John Steffes; 06/20/2014 at 07:00 PM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2014, 07:21 PM   #156 (permalink)

Quote:
Well the best is yet to come... WebOSPorts, comes out with LunaOS (pivotCE: webOS Ports surprises with TouchPad port, name/logo change)... LG came out with webOS on T.V.'s(WebOS is back baby! at CES 2014), iOS copies cards (YEP, iOS7 has card multitasking.), and Android's designer Matias Duarte: "Wow, it's WebOS nostalgia week!" (former webOS designer) dreams of webOS...

Even if Palm/HP/LG/Qualcomm do nothing for Mobile/Tablets, the rest of the world is copying the idea's although not as good as the original...

Although HP released a half baked source, it does not surprise me that the community would take it and attempt to make it shine...
the rest of the world is STEALING the idea's although not as good as the original...

There, fixed that for you.

I cannot think of another OS that had so much of it used by all of the competition. I don't think Apple from PARC or Microsoft from Apple took as much as Apple and android have picked from WebOS. but at the time all maligned it and thought it was terrible.
Old 06/20/2014, 07:28 PM   #157 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
the rest of the world is STEALING the idea's although not as good as the original...

There, fixed that for you.

I cannot think of another OS that had so much of it used by all of the competition. I don't think Apple from PARC or Microsoft from Apple took as much as Apple and android have picked from WebOS. but at the time all maligned it and thought it was terrible.
I agree, but the original designer defected to Google when HP bought Palm, but Android is not as clean as webOS's interface and you can see his design from Honeycomb on, it is not just Android, but all it's Apps, the interface/apps have to support several versions, which does not help, and the fact that you can switch out the launcher does not help them to make a common interface.

iOS is trying to be the you do not need to be a computer geek to love computers, Android is trying to be Hackers world, Windows Phone is just trying, and Blackberry is trying to be corporate... All the others are trying to fill some void, that webOS had, but lost in the great game of competition...

I accept that copying can be thought of stealing, but it is all in the name of the game of innovation. If you can not build a better one. copy, copy, copy...
Old 06/20/2014, 08:10 PM   #158 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree, but the original designer defected to Google when HP bought Palm, but Android is not as clean as webOS's interface and you can see his design from Honeycomb on, it is not just Android, but all it's Apps, the interface/apps have to support several versions, which does not help, and the fact that you can switch out the launcher does not help them to make a common interface.

iOS is trying to be the you do not need to be a computer geek to love computers, Android is trying to be Hackers world, Windows Phone is just trying, and Blackberry is trying to be corporate... All the others are trying to fill some void, that webOS had, but lost in the great game of competition...

I accept that copying can be thought of stealing, but it is all in the name of the game of innovation. If you can not build a better one. copy, copy, copy...
I agree about copying. My only gripe is just how much of WebOS was taken by all that originally condemned it. It came down to not getting the word out correctly to the public and not initially being on AT&T or Verizon. All it would have taken were those things and perhaps it might have made a difference.
Old 06/20/2014, 08:59 PM   #159 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newphonescomingout View Post
Just to clarify, the windsornot was intended to run webOS 3.0.5 (the version on the touchpad), but development never got it running properly before it was cancelled, so no, it doesn't work.

This is the WindsorNot - the webOS slate smartphone that never was | webOS Nation

I suppose there is the extremely unlikely possibility that knowledgable devs could get 3.0.5 working (if they could actually get hold of a windsornot). If that were possible, then possibly both LunaCE and even LuneOS might be ported to it, but I'd guess that would be conditional on access to drivers for the specific hardware.

To finally crush the fantasy, what would be the point of all that effort for a handful of devices? Only to create a rare collectors device.
Old 06/20/2014, 09:15 PM   #160 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Just to clarify, the windsornot was intended to run webOS 3.0.5 (the version on the touchpad), but development never got it running properly before it was cancelled, so no, it doesn't work.

This is the WindsorNot - the webOS slate smartphone that never was | webOS Nation

I suppose there is the extremely unlikely possibility that knowledgable devs could get 3.0.5 working (if they could actually get hold of a windsornot). If that were possible, then possibly both LunaCE and even LuneOS might be ported to it, but I'd guess that would be conditional on access to drivers for the specific hardware.

To finally crush the fantasy, what would be the point of all that effort for a handful of devices? Only to create a rare collectors device.
Well. Well...

If I got a hold of the device and get a hold of the software, it might/might not have the drivers, but the better would be to get webOS 3.0.5 (Phone version) to work on the Pre3 (assuming the devices used the same/similar comm board, as it did not have LTE only 3G), which does have drivers?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0