Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 165
Like Tree105Likes
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    ... Then, you see those devices like the mentioned slab phone running WebOS 3.0 and you see how much time was wasted away months before the full announcement of the TouchPad and the months that went ahead to release WebOS 3.0 to phones.....

    ...
    I honestly wouldn't know why you think, that time was wasted. As far as I am aware of, the WebOS crew was always developing and furthering the OS, month before the Touchpad as well as later, when they turned it to open source.

    The problem is, that the management of that certain "two letter company" was too knuckleheaded to understand anything about the potential of the OS and how to make something out of it. Everyone on the board seemed to have only his personal power struggle in their heads instead of the good of the company.

    So you can have a whole lot of horsepower in your car, but when you let go of the steeringwheel, you will crash it instead of going anywhere.
    (to clarify: horsepower= WebOS dev crew, steeringwheel = management abilities of the board)

    So I really don't like it, when people who work their collective b*tts off to do something for WebOS are called lazy, just because the management does not use what they make and/or set silly deadlines and/or put the brand at a disadvantage due to idiotic pricing and/or fail to give clear directions where the further development has to go to.

    so far my personal 2 Eurocent
    Last edited by Buddy1969; 04/23/2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: typos
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    bradmeister1 likes this.
  2. #102  
    When I read this thread....it makes me sad to see what could have been..if this product did see the light of day ..as mentioned the product was NOT ready for phone because the modem was not working? in this prototype...

    MAN..I wonder right now..they would have considered the design / R&D as amortized costs to be washed down the drain. Can we request for the 3.0.x to be available so that we can look at putting it into another device? or we can request to pay for the OS to be installed into another HP or LG phone lol...(if pigs fly...I guess)
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
    When I read this thread....it makes me sad to see what could have been..if this product did see the light of day ..as mentioned the product was NOT ready for phone because the modem was not working? in this prototype...

    MAN..I wonder right now..they would have considered the design / R&D as amortized costs to be washed down the drain. Can we request for the 3.0.x to be available so that we can look at putting it into another device? or we can request to pay for the OS to be installed into another HP or LG phone lol...(if pigs fly...I guess)
    The source code of 3.x is available and the Luna settings for the WindsorNot are posted on the source code page so if someone manages to get the phone drivers working we could get 3.0.x on the Pre 2/3.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    The source code of 3.x is available and the Luna settings for the WindsorNot are posted on the source code page so if someone manages to get the phone drivers working we could get 3.0.x on the Pre 2/3.
    Vistaus...the 3.x source code that is available is OWS..not WebOS. OWS as it stand is a poor cousin of the Webos since it lacks alot of features that are what makes webos good - e.g synergy.

    So why would I want to run a crippled OWS even if I can get the 2.2.4 drivers from a Pre 3 to work on it?
    Even if we can get say a Nexus to run OWS.. it's not ready for full usage..and is currently in the realm of tinkers, developers...
  5. #105  
    Oops, I meant WOCE, not source code. We could use WOCE with the 2.2.4 drivers (if that's possible somehow) and then use the published Luna settings for the WindsorNot.
  6. #106  
    not going to lie. I think the Veer is what killed webOS. if they skipped that and did Pre 3 and this phone. things might be a little different.
  7. #107  
    We just need a time machine - if you had the DeLorean and could go back to save webOS, what would you do? Take out Leo? Find a way to keep Hurd at the helm?
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

    One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    not going to lie. I think the Veer is what killed webOS. if they skipped that and did Pre 3 and this phone. things might be a little different.
    What does everybody seem to have AGAINST the Veer? The Veer is an unique phone, does everything one needs. Why is everybody always so negative about it? It's been my daily driver for 18+ months and I simply love it.... I have a Pre 2 and a Pre 3 too.

    I just love the form factor of the Veer, it's small yet powerful enough for my needs. (Music, 6 email accounts, calendar, Skype, GPS, workout tracking etc).

    The Pre 2 feels chunky and outdated, the Pre 3 is nice just a bigger and a bit faster version of the Veer.
  9. #109  
    IMHO the Veer is not what killed webOS and the Veer is awesome, wish I had one to accompany my Pre 3. But it would've helped for sure had they released the Pre 3 (or the WindsorNot if it was ready enough) along with or not too long after the Veer.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    What does everybody seem to have AGAINST the Veer? The Veer is an unique phone, does everything one needs. Why is everybody always so negative about it? It's been my daily driver for 18+ months and I simply love it.... I have a Pre 2 and a Pre 3 too.

    I just love the form factor of the Veer, it's small yet powerful enough for my needs. (Music, 6 email accounts, calendar, Skype, GPS, workout tracking etc).

    The Pre 2 feels chunky and outdated, the Pre 3 is nice just a bigger and a bit faster version of the Veer.
    I always kinda wished they made a Verizon compatible Veer. I'd probably have one. Reminds me of the my old Nokia 8290 which I thought was a perfect size back in the day.

    I know there was an exclusivity thing with the Veer and AT&T for a while. I wonder if any Verizon models were produced and will ever leak out like the Pre 3 I've got at home...
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

    One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    I always kinda wished they made a Verizon compatible Veer. I'd probably have one. Reminds me of the my old Nokia 8290 which I thought was a perfect size back in the day.

    I know there was an exclusivity thing with the Veer and AT&T for a while. I wonder if any Verizon models were produced and will ever leak out like the Pre 3 I've got at home...
    I started off with a 8250 which was basically a silver 8290 with a blue screen instead of green, so I can wholeheartedly agree with you
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    IMHO the Veer is not what killed webOS and the Veer is awesome, wish I had one to accompany my Pre 3. But it would've helped for sure had they released the Pre 3 (or the WindsorNot if it was ready enough) along with or not too long after the Veer.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    One big thing that killed the Veer, the memory... The Modem in the Pixi, Veer, and Pre3, takes away memory from the usable memory for applications...

    Starting with the Pixi/PixiPlus, they should have added more memory to fix this, with the Pixi it has 256 of memory of which only ~192 is usable, Veer/pre3 has 512M of ram with only ~384 usable, So a lot of users will see a TMC issue in Pixi/PixiPlus/Veer/Pre3...

    Rebooting the phone everyday, helps but the memory still runs out... I have all three and this is my experience...

    The next Big thing, is the lock down, only on AT&T, when will phone makers get it we want your new phone but we are on carrier x not y...

    Locking to a carrier is the dumb thing to do, I get it they need the subsidy or they can't move the phone, well wrong, how about I lease/rent the phone from the maker (they can get financing), then I can use any carrier I want, as an unlocked phone...

    carriers do not get it yet, they are pricing them selves out of business, but maybe soon they will wake up... But their greed won't let them...

    I want a carrier like I can get a car, I can buy many different cars, they all get me from point a to point b, it is how they do it that matters to most, but the road as long as it is maintained I will continue to use that road... but when they start adding tolls, well then users find a cheaper route...

    Carriers are just a means to get a call or jump on the internet, when they are pricing things to high, users go to month to month plans... Hey here in the USA the month to month still rides the same road as the big box carrier, but the user is now in control...

    Wake up Carriers, it does not cost $100 for a line, just ask AT&T and how many land lines they have?
  13. #113  
    Actually the TMC error with the Veer is pretty much non existing. I might have seen it once or twice in 1,5 years of daily use!

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Actually the TMC error with the Veer is pretty much non existing. I might have seen it once or twice in 1,5 years of daily use!

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Same applies here on my Pre 3 (I don't have a Veer yet). Been using my Pre 3 for about 1,5 years now (bought it not long after HP had bailed on webOS) and only experienced the TMC error a handful of times.
  15. #115  
    I thought the Veer modem didn't have the memory suck that the Pre3 modem does?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I thought the Veer modem didn't have the memory suck that the Pre3 modem does?
    yea I thought it was Pre3-specific as well

    also, it was the dinky screen that I saw most people bash, because this is in the thick of the phone screen size arms race. I just picked up an HTC HD2 with a 4.3" display, and it makes me wonder how people could use anything bigger.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I thought the Veer modem didn't have the memory suck that the Pre3 modem does?
    You guys did seem to ring a bell. I do remember my Veer days were a bit more trouble free.

    Maybe I should go back to my Veer...
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    You guys did seem to ring a bell. I do remember my Veer days were a bit more trouble free.

    Maybe I should go back to my Veer...
    Meh it hurts my eyes... it's an adjustment period.... Pre3 owns TMC when it comes to newer devices... haven't had TMC as much recently, but I daily have to reboot or looks MP3 capability and camera usage. I am also really close to SSD being full daily, so may not be a software issue.
  19. #119  
    A girl once asked me if I had a smartphone so she can look at the radar image. I said yes and proceeded to pull out my pre2 and she started laughing and said that's a dumb phone.

    So I can see the general public judging the veer because of size, equating smart with big.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    One big thing that killed the Veer, the memory... The Modem in the Pixi, Veer, and Pre3, takes away memory from the usable memory for applications...

    Starting with the Pixi/PixiPlus, they should have added more memory to fix this, with the Pixi it has 256 of memory of which only ~192 is usable, Veer/pre3 has 512M of ram with only ~384 usable, So a lot of users will see a TMC issue in Pixi/PixiPlus/Veer/Pre3...

    Rebooting the phone everyday, helps but the memory still runs out... I have all three and this is my experience...

    The next Big thing, is the lock down, only on AT&T, when will phone makers get it we want your new phone but we are on carrier x not y...

    Locking to a carrier is the dumb thing to do, I get it they need the subsidy or they can't move the phone, well wrong, how about I lease/rent the phone from the maker (they can get financing), then I can use any carrier I want, as an unlocked phone...

    carriers do not get it yet, they are pricing them selves out of business, but maybe soon they will wake up... But their greed won't let them...

    I want a carrier like I can get a car, I can buy many different cars, they all get me from point a to point b, it is how they do it that matters to most, but the road as long as it is maintained I will continue to use that road... but when they start adding tolls, well then users find a cheaper route...

    Carriers are just a means to get a call or jump on the internet, when they are pricing things to high, users go to month to month plans... Hey here in the USA the month to month still rides the same road as the big box carrier, but the user is now in control...

    Wake up Carriers, it does not cost $100 for a line, just ask AT&T and how many land lines they have?
    @steffes..

    I think what messed up the plans was the fact - those who decided on which model to release, didn't get the full feedback from the ground on what it took to win market share.

    When the Pre was released - THE WOW factor was there, and the folks at Palm rested at their laurels thinking it was good enough - but unfortunately the Pre sucked in durability and performance.(And when i mean performance - it's relative to the OS. If the hardware cannot run OS at an acceptable speed, then either the hardware is insufficient OR the OS is not optimised). When the Pre 2 was out -- the market sentiment was bigger screens, slabs, high resolution and moving up to 4G, dual core, longer life battery etc.

    Think about it..during that time, HP has at least 3 models to work on - Veer, Pre 3, and the slab. I understand during the conception stage anything goes and the models are cut down to a few, but it seemed the designers, the decision makers and even marketing at HP/Palm was clueless to what the market needed...
    From the Pre (plastic casing, poor battery life, under powered processor, memory issues - using the same as the Palm Treo)--to the Pre 2 (improved screen, but still poor battery life, memory issues) to the Veer - (under powered, poor battery, low memory issues) to the Pre 3..etc etc. Do you see a trend. HP/Palm technical designers could not sync up the hardware with the OS requirements - always going for the minimum. YET the dumb decision makers / marketers made missteps on which operator to sleep with, how to position the device etc etc... and the worst thing..to release a smaller Veer after the Pre 2. Maybe it was already manufactured and could not U-turn. So at least they should have released it at the lower end, and released the Pre 3 to replace the Pre 2...
    In short -- poor communication between the s/w and the h/w group. Poor understanding / or inability to understand or forecast the direction of the general market trends and poor positioning by the marketing department PLUS inept decision makers on all levels screwed up the product plans and resulted in the screwup.
    The slab model here..is what Webos could have been. Seeing it is depressing, because we have not a chance to get this model, and it's not by choice..Guess the only choice is to stay with the Pre 3 till the world freezes or LG pulls a rabbit out of the hat..but that is if "pigs can fly". Any chance of miracles this year...I'd say 5% chance.
    PalmPixi_User23 likes this.

Posting Permissions