Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    I could tell that the display had quite a bit more resolution than my pre3. I believe it was either 1024x800 or perhaps even 720p. It was much faster in response time than my pre3 overcloked to 1.9ghz. I felt like it must have had more than 1 CPU core. It felt at least as fast as my 1.7ghz overclocked touchpad. It had no gesture area, and a home button just like the touchpad. It would have been a beautiful device, the back was either glass or some kind of hard plastic and upon removal there was the familiar charging coil in it for touchstone use. I believe the screen size was about 4.3 in. I was told it was originally a Verizon version but had at&t software flashed onto it to demonstrate it working for us. I didn't get any more detail about the software than that other than it was said to be running "3.0.5".
    The specs looks to be very nice(4.3 inch display/high-resolution display/probably dual-core chip processor with WebOS 3.0 installed), by the way you are describing the "Windsor Not" decent phone but wouldn't qualify it high-end either...When you describe the device as having glass back you mean like the Nexus 4/iPhone 4 kind of glass panel back on the Windsor Not ? And did on that meeting they mention probably the speed of the device maybe a Qualcomm chip like a dual or quad-core processor ?

And talking about crime, I think it was bigger crime that the WebOS team being lazy didn't put their act together to release WebOS 3.0 together with WebOS phones. I think that it would be smarter for them to unite the TouchPad OS with the phones, instead of each of them running on different version of WebOS.....it seems like if the WebOS engineers at HP(at that time) did not have a whole lot of motivation or ideas to optimize/finish things in the final days of WebOS.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    I wouldn't disparage the effort that went into webOS then or now, for that matter. I am quite comfortable saying that webOS 3 wasn't built by lazy people, but by people who were constrained to suffocating deadlines. If you read the developer forums, at the time everything went down, a lot of the efforts that have taken many months, such as the move to a modern qtwebkit, and upgrading node and qt to less custom and more modern versions were well underway at that time, and were significantly derailed by the leopocalypse. While the base of the system is a brilliant system (just look at fireefox and meego and blackberry and others trying to clone it now), the implementation suffered from the deadlines that it has had. As many have said, if the pre2 was the first webOS phone, the phone landscape might be different entirely.. But there's no way the pre2 could've happened in 2009.

Webos did a lot of things no one had ever done, in 2009. I have every confidence that it will do them better than all the people who are now trying to do the same things a few years later.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Is that an HP TouchPad Go in the back of the 4th pic
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Woah. That is so cool.
    Words currently fail me atm
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    I could tell that the display had quite a bit more resolution than my pre3. I believe it was either 1024x800 or perhaps even 720p. It was much faster in response time than my pre3 overcloked to 1.9ghz. I felt like it must have had more than 1 CPU core. It felt at least as fast as my 1.7ghz overclocked touchpad. It had no gesture area, and a home button just like the touchpad. It would have been a beautiful device, the back was either glass or some kind of hard plastic and upon removal there was the familiar charging coil in it for touchstone use. I believe the screen size was about 4.3 in. All around feel was very hi end, had a bezel that was soft touch and kind of tacky so it wouldn't slip from your hand. All you could do was wish they had released such a wonderful product. This would never have been confused with a less than flagship device. It was quite nice in finish, and a joy to use on WiFi (couldn't try phone radio, the one I was using didn't have that functioning). I was told it was originally a Verizon version but had at&t software flashed onto it to demonstrate it working for us. I didn't get any more detail about the software than that other than it was said to be running "3.0.5".

It felt further along than I expected it to, like it wouldn't have taken that much to finish it. Which makes it even more of a crime that it never happened...
    Wait, so they did update it after the leopocalypse? Because 3.0.5 was released quite some time after Leo pulled the plug.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Blimey, this is a surprise!

The WindsorNot looks great, it running webOS 3 does make me wonder what HP's plans were with the Pre3 for its next (big) OS update, though I'm guessing webOS 4 would 'merge' the best from webOS 2.x and 3.x.

Do like the larger screen, too, and the high resolution, and oddly enough it reminds me quite a bit of the Nexus 4 in the way the matte black rubberised plastic curves around to a flat glass back.
    The Pre 3 wouldn't have gotten webOS 3. I'm pretty sure of that. The past repeats itself (I'm hinting at the promise of the original Pre getting 2.x). Not that I care, the Pre 3 works great with webOS 2 and would've bought the Pre 4 anyway (or the WindsorNot) but I wouldn't have counted on them bringing webOS 3 to the Pre 3.
    man...
    I would trade my LTE TP Go for the WindsorNot and pay shipping for both devices.
    cbosdell and xandros9 like this.
    I can tell you from having worked on webOS 3.0 and 2.2.1, it wasn't a "lazy effort". The only thing I will say on the matter is that there was a timeline of other things to happen. You can blame what you want for that not happening. But "laziness" you shouldn't blame, as it wasn't there.

Go back to gawking at the WindsorNot. Speculating on the webOS 3 roadmap is only going to make you feel the hurt more. (It does for me.) Not to mention.. There are components that were used in webOS 3.0 sitting in the github openwebos group (LunaCE, mojodb, filecache, etc, etc). So, if any entrepreneuring developers want, you might be able to get that to work on a 2.2.* device. I've considered poking at QtWebKit once I get the chance... And maybe a stab at LunaCE. Just because I am crazy like that.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I can tell you from having worked on webOS 3.0 and 2.2.1, it wasn't a "lazy effort". The only thing I will say on the matter is that there was a timeline of other things to happen. You can blame what you want for that not happening. But "laziness" you shouldn't blame, as it wasn't there.
    Well, since I'm not a developer or have worked on the WebOS cant vouch what you say....but on point of the matter will be that it was laziness from the team of engineers at WebOS. Sadly, it first was the silly way of saying no WebOS v2.0 for older phones which homebrew community proved it was possible, then from where Palm in an event (2010) announced WebOS 2.0 until months later when WebOS v3.0 (2011)was introduced to the TouchPad....no efforts was done to push WebOS 3 to phones(same time as TouchPad was unveiled) it's mind boggling to me.

Simply it's spells laziness or lack of efforts.....but again Palm always suffered from that for years in days when they used to be popular for their PDA's with PalmOS(with slow updates).
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    xandros9 likes this.
    With the disclaimer that I am barred by an NDA, so I cannot mention anything planned after the TouchPad was canceled... I will reiterate my stance: There was no laziness. 3.0 was completed when the TouchPad was released. Everything was stopped 40 days later. Given that you have already stated that you are not a developer, I will explain that this time period is not long enough to have moved 3.0 onto the phones.

I can't speak to the 2.0 on older phones.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Rnp likes this.
    What happened was really a "perfect storm" of bad things. The deadline to get 3.0 out, the way high end-user price tag on the TouchPad, the killing of everything days before the Pre 3 world wide release, and as one article had said, days before the Go would've gone into full production .. of course, none of it would've survived the killing of it all, but without that, and with a couple of extra months in full development mode, with the full staff, lots of nice things could've happened, and who knows what kinds of hardware we'd have now, and what webOS 3 would've become.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Rnp and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
    @Palm_Pixi: I don't think it is good to beat the dog for the mistakes of his master...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    @eblade: The price tag didn't kill it. If so, then why is the BB Z10 still around? It barely has apps because it's a new platform yet it's priced way above the competition. Maybe not in the USA but here in Europe it is. You can buy a Samsung Galaxy S3 here for 499 or an HTC One for 549 yet the Z10 which is officially released here costs 629. Still, I don't see BB pulling back the Z10 even though it's priced way too high.
    I'd say it was probably a factor. If they'd come out at 250 and 300 instead of 500 and 600, they may have swept the market and been in a place where the momentum wouldn't have allowed the leopocalypse. Of course, there were several other points of failure.

Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    @eblade: The price tag didn't kill it. If so, then why is the BB Z10 still around? It barely has apps because it's a new platform yet it's priced way above the competition. Maybe not in the USA but here in Europe it is. You can buy a Samsung Galaxy S3 here for 499 or an HTC One for 549 yet the Z10 which is officially released here costs 629. Still, I don't see BB pulling back the Z10 even though it's priced way too high.
    well the Z10 did drop rather quickly over here in germany its already at ~470€ and its only released a few months but than again I think bb10 is not really primarily a consumer thingy, more business stuff..

And eblade is right if they would have sold that thingy at a flooding price the momentum would have had more market share.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I'd say it was probably a factor. If they'd come out at 250 and 300 instead of 500 and 600, they may have swept the market and been in a place where the momentum wouldn't have allowed the leopocalypse. Of course, there were several other points of failure.

I also will continue to add Leo priced it there so it would fail... he needed an excuse to kill the entire division, self-fullfilling proficy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    @Palm_Pixi: I don't think it is good to beat the dog for the mistakes of his master...
    It's so maddening seeing devices like the Windsor shown in pictures (first page of this post), only to know that it was a project that was never finished(like always in WebOS) and it will never be fully released for public consumption. Then, you see those devices like the mentioned slab phone running WebOS 3.0 and you see how much time was wasted away months before the full announcement of the TouchPad and the months that went ahead to release WebOS 3.0 to phones.....

So it's easier to start pulling the blame on someone....and then you see another company like LG (which honestly speaking their "Me too phones" with Android aren't popular) which acquired WebOS only to be used on televisions ...just more and more it seems to appear another HP acquisition of WebOS back in 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I also will continue to add Leo priced it there so it would fail... he needed an excuse to kill the entire division, self-fullfilling proficy?
    I'm not entirely certain that that was calculated. I think it was hubris on the part of marketing, to think that something that was not really even close to it's only top of the line competition specwise could go to market at or near the same price as the top of the line competition.

The TouchPad, for well over a year after it's cancellation was still a better tablet than most of the junk on the market. You'd still be hard pressed to find a better tablet for $150, I'd think, and we're approaching 2 years. There's still a -ton- of Android 2.0 crap out there flooding the market. A market that pretty much didn't exist until after the TouchPad was cancelled.

If they'd treated the Go (or whatever might've immediately followed it) as the jewel, and the original as the middle product, things might've been different. If Leo hadn't decided to kill everything, things would definitely be different. One may have stopped the other from happening. If webOS 3 had had another 2-4-maybe months put into it, and come out with a more polished version of 3.0.5 instead of the 3.0.0 that came out, or better yet, with a more polished version using the newer Luna and WebKit .. ? who knows?

Anyway. I've met a ton of people that have worked on webOS in the past, and in the present, and there's not a one of them that I'd call lazy.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    cbosdell likes this.