Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes
    what open webOS needs, be it from the community or from LG is to keep the webOS OS/UI experience and invisibly add support for other android/linux based opensource OS's apps, this way you keep the advantages of webOS with its card/multitasking abilities and invisibly take advantage of the stong points of the other eco-systems, ie their raw apps and nothing else.

doing as some suggest and just adding a webOS type "skin" to android is not the way, it may look the part, talk the talk but its still just a skin hiding the mess underneath, it needs to be the otehr way round, webOS at the core which just uses the apps from Firefox/Ubuntu/Android.

Just making new hardware etc is not much of a selling point, tho obviously still very important, however supporting all the major free opensource apps we can within webOS nativly itsself is the direction to take, when you can run near anything you may have bought on various other OS on a single OS which operates/multitasks/presents apps in a better way to the opposition imho is a better selling point.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    WebOS may have an elegant gui, but it would have a long way to go beyond that to matter.

It's 2013. Android and iOS are far from clunky now. This is the world WebOS has to be competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    The sad part is that they never were able to do that. A new WebOS device has to be something that people want above Android, iOS and Windows. Not an easy task.
    The recent onslaught of alternatives announced and planned points to a shift coming up for the mobile landscape.

OEM's, it would seem, are unsatisfied with the duopoly... Which effectively becomes a Monopoly given that Apple isn't licensing anything.

Competition in the marketplace and added consumer choice is always a good thing.

For Consumer's part - most have never heard of webOS... They don't know the track record of Palm/HP with the OS and won't care. Ditto with any other player besides Android or iOS - they don't know and won't care about a name or a development history. It's what they see on the shelves when they shop for phones that sways them. The real effort is getting a device front and center at Carrier's stores for an attractive price. Getting seen and getting demoed hands on by people with $$$ in their pockets is the true test.

Tech is getting very advanced in the mobile arena, but also somewhat more cumbersome to use. If a product simply works in a reasonably intuitive way (which webOS excels at) it should be a hit IF consumers get a chance to test it before buying. There are too many layers and layers of menu/setting/options that need to poked and pried at. Smart, powerful, simple to operate can carry the day and win a place for itself in the market.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    ...It's 2013. Android and iOS are far from clunky now...
    I have to disagree. Mind you I've tried iOS 6 lately and have used ICS pretty extensively and Jelly Bean somewhat briefly.

They just don't feel slick enough.

My personal take only.

But for average consumers who know nothing else, I can see how it might appear that there is some huge advance. It's a placebo effect, mostly, hyped by Apple/Google/the OEMs and aided and abetted by the tech/mainstream press...

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I have a Webos phone. I don't find it any more intuitive than my wife's android phone and far less that her iPod touch.

You can't confuse favorite or being used to something with intuitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    what open webOS needs, be it from the community or from LG is to keep the webOS OS/UI experience and invisibly add support for other android/linux based opensource OS's apps, this way you keep the advantages of webOS with its card/multitasking abilities and invisibly take advantage of the stong points of the other eco-systems, ie their raw apps and nothing else.

doing as some suggest and just adding a webOS type "skin" to android is not the way, it may look the part, talk the talk but its still just a skin hiding the mess underneath, it needs to be the otehr way round, webOS at the core which just uses the apps from Firefox/Ubuntu/Android.

Just making new hardware etc is not much of a selling point, tho obviously still very important, however supporting all the major free opensource apps we can within webOS nativly itsself is the direction to take, when you can run near anything you may have bought on various other OS on a single OS which operates/multitasks/presents apps in a better way to the opposition imho is a better selling point.
    ^Yes^
    Just call me Berd.
    I don't have a webOS phone.
    And I find webOS to be leagues above android in the User Interface.
    Just call me Berd.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    WebOS may have an elegant gui, but it would have a long way to go beyond that to matter.

It's 2013. Android and iOS are far from clunky now. This is the world WebOS has to be competitive.
    Unfortunatly i think their still annoying and unfriendly to use compared to webOS, they may be fast but imho they are idd still "clunky" and unfriendly, and their lack of real multitasking is still infuriating.

i wouldnt confuse the word "speed" with "good", they may be fast but their far from user friendly.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    It's a placebo effect, mostly, hyped by Apple/Google/the OEMs and aided and abetted by the tech/mainstream press...
    The press gave WebOS huge props in 2009 with the Pre.
    Round and Round.
    The hardware and apps... Remember?
    Just call me Berd.
    The recent onslaught of alternatives announced and planned points to a shift coming up for the mobile landscape.

OEM's, it would seem, are unsatisfied with the duopoly... Which effectively becomes a Monopoly given that Apple isn't licensing anything.

Competition in the marketplace and added consumer choice is always a good thing.

For Consumer's part - most have never heard of webOS... They don't know the track record of Palm/HP with the OS and won't care. Ditto with any other player besides Android or iOS - they don't know and won't care about a name or a development history. It's what they see on the shelves when they shop for phones that sways them. The real effort is getting a device front and center at Carrier's stores for an attractive price. Getting seen and getting demoed hands on by people with $$$ in their pockets is the true test.

Tech is getting very advanced in the mobile arena, but also somewhat more cumbersome to use. If a product simply works in a reasonably intuitive way (which webOS excels at) it should be a hit IF consumers get a chance to test it before buying. There are too many layers and layers of menu/setting/options that need to poked and pried at. Smart, powerful, simple to operate can carry the day and win a place for itself in the market.
    Another great post.
    Combine this with geekpeter's post and you're talking about something that'll work.
    Just call me Berd.
    You give me the solid hardware, and my favorite most used apps, support it within webOS, and people will buy it.
    We went through this many times over.
    Palm and HP failed webOS, not the other way around.
    Just call me Berd.
    I have a Webos phone. I don't find it any more intuitive than my wife's android phone and far less that her iPod touch.

You can't confuse favorite or being used to something with intuitive.
    I was addressing the advances in UI by the major two.

When I got an iPhone it was at iOS4 and I used it for awhile then went to iOS6... I didn't see any great advance that made the device suddenly leap ahead in how it is used.

I've used Cupcake and later made the leap from Froyo to ICS... ditto the lack of Angelic choirs singing hosannas. Granted it does beat the past iterations.

Both iOS and Android still have the same underpinnings and design philosophy they have always had. Yes there are refinements... incremental advances. Yet the software designers act like each release is something revelatory and the press parrots that to a large degree. Consumers then lap it up.

Yes, webOS is my favorite. I'll readily admit that. Yes, it does have flaws. All things made by man lack perfection.

But, right out of the box, webOS has been the only OS (mobile or otherwise) that has just plain made sense in how the UI behaves for me. There is a definite "ahhhh" of satisfaction in using it. Maybe I am biased, but I'll swear it made the world a bit brighter for me in a way none of the others have.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Why did Palm buy into webOS?
    They immediately saw its elegance, but failed to put it on solid hardware.
    People went through Pre after Pre - plastic falling apart.
    So they left.
    Why did HP buy webOS?
    They immediately say its elegance.
    They built pretty solid hardware but still failed to support development of the most needed apps.
    'I had elegance, but my device is falling apart.
    I'm outta here'
    I then have elegance and solid hardware, but by this time the developers of apps didn't want to take another risk.
    'I just don't have replacement apps for this beautiful device and elegant UI.
    I'm outta here.
    So why did Palm and HP and LG spend so much money on a OS if you didn't like it with your perspective and realist attitude?
    Just call me Berd.
    RumoredNow and geekpeter like this.
    <<Edited by Staff>>
    im not imho a "die hard blind webOS fan" im someone who owns various ios/android/webOS tablets and an old android phone (updated to cm10) and a webOS phone, i USE them all, compare them all regularly every time i pick one up and can honestly say that webOS "feels" better to use, ill easily accept any argument that the webOS app position is limited, youd have to be blind not to see that but that doesnt make webOS somehow worse than the rest.

IPad3/Ios6 - Check
    2x android tablets, 1x ICS, 1x Cm10/JB - Check
    1x (pretty old i know) LG optimus one P500 with Cm10/jb - Check
    1x Pre3 - Check
    3x Touchpads, 2x with CM10 Native ubuntu13.x, Chroot Ubuntu 12.x and Armel-Aros, 1x Vanilla webOS - Check

i have these so far, have apps on all of them, many the same apps on differing OS/devices, so i can easily say with a fair and honest judgement that i personally prefer the look and feel fo webOS when compared to all the others i own. Granted there are other options i dont have yet such as blackberry/ubuntu/etc but from the stuff i do own, yeah i can easily make a judgement that is not "fanboyish" i havent owned a webOS device long enough to be branded a ****** just yet.

My opinion may differ to others but that doesnt make me wrong, and im not that clueless that id arbitrarily pick one device or OS i use and lift the opinion i have of it without good reason. I can pick any of my devices up and pick good and bad points up about any of them, and idd each one DOES have good and bad points and the good point i have picked about webOS is the fact it operates better than all the others i own.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/18/2013 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Calling members names.
    So, if webOS was nothing to get excited about, then Palm was pretty stupid to buy into it.
    No wonder it failed. Not only was the OS not worthy to purchase, but Palm was too stupid to not know that.
    And then HP was even more stupid, because they also were duped. How stupid could they have been to not know webOS wasn't worth buying?
    Just call me Berd.
    And on top of geekpeter's comments I can add that I own/use iOS/Android/Symbian devices along with webOS hardware. I've had Palm OS and Windows Mobile devices in the past. I've used feature phones too.

I'm currently experimenting with the Ubuntu Touch developer preview.

I'm not closed off to trying new things. I'm very open to it, in fact.

There is a huge difference between being a tech fan and a fan-boi.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    And on top of geekpeter's comments I can add that I own/use iOS/Android/Symbian devices along with webOS hardware. I've had Palm OS and Windows Mobile devices in the past. I've used feature phones too.

I'm currently experimenting with the Ubuntu Touch developer preview.

I'm not closed off to trying new things. I'm very open to it, in fact.

There is a huge difference between being a tech fan and a fan-boi.
    more replies where i wish we had an "agree" button.
    HP bought Palm as a whole, not just WebOS. Were they stupid to buy it? It appears so.

Their idea was much more than phones and tablets.

As people love to speculate here - I think they were stunned at the lack of interest from the carriers and public in general in regard to WebOS.
    Did they have good things, or bad things to say about webOS?
    Just call me Berd.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast