Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/HP-TouchPad-Carries-$318-Bill-of-Materials.aspx
    Aren't those just estimates, based on what they think HP might be paying for components, not actual costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    No, Android tablets in general. All the big news I've heard about is the Nexus 7 and maybe some Samsung tablet.
    I am not an Android fan - I do not own a tablet - but I have a friend with the Nexus 7 and it's well made and operates well.

I bought my 89 year old mom an iPad 2 and it's very organized in terms of operation. It does what she wanted. Email, web, a few apps. It's cool. Better than I expected.

Her friend has a Kindle Fire. That is cool depending on who is using it and the goals.

If I were going to get a tablet now, it would be between the Nexus 7 and the iPad mini. Our niece has a mini and it's pretty slick.

My wife has an Android phone. I goof around with it and keep it updated, etc. I could live with Android. It's not WebOS, but in reality WebOS is out of date enough TO ME that it has it's own issues that don't make it a first choice for me anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Aren't those just estimates, based on what they think HP might be paying for components, not actual costs?
    To me it looks like those costs are rock bottom. $10.00 to manufacture?
    To me it looks like those costs are rock bottom. $10.00 to manufacture?
    Do you know the hourly rate of some Foxconn "engineer"? I would be suprised if it's more than $3/hour

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    how hard would it be for LG to hire 5 FULLTIME workers and get it up and running on a Nexus 4 which they own,

maybe a easy $100k or something. easy quick investment just to get the ball rolling.
    You know what?
    That ain't a bad idea at all.
    Instead of putting a lot of money into building a device to run webOS, just build dual boot tablets and phones.
    Advertise them as able to run Android or webOS
    Just call me Berd.
    How about a phone that runs any OS? Get a unified bootloader (GRUB for phones, lol), and allow installation of any mobile OS. The only problem might be the carriers, if I understand, they are the ones who distribute updates and put crap in them, and wouldn't like it if someone bypassed their arbitrary software limitations.
    no I"m not saying advertise anything, Just help out homebrew get everything up and running to start,

Once you bring in advertising and saying that it will run webOS means they have to support it. and support cost lots of money and legal fee's and everyhting. Now they would be in the millions a year just for support.

Just give homebrew a chance to spark more interest into webOS for the next couple years until after the TV comes out. Then maybe test the waters again, but only if they have 100k + apps. you can spend a billion on webos but without Apps nothing will sell.
    good point.
    I was thinking that if they wanted to build a webOS device, they wouldn't be taking a lot of risk if they could just as easily release the same device with Android instead.
    But yeah, your idea is even simpler.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    how hard would it be for LG to hire 5 FULLTIME workers and get it up and running on a Nexus 4 which they own,

maybe a easy $100k or something. easy quick investment just to get the ball rolling.
    I'd be willing to bet that by now they have 5 full-time software engineers who already are running webOS on a Nexus 4...

They have to test the dang stuff after all...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Do dual boot systems matter to people?

Intel macs boot Windows natively and the vast majority of users don't seem to care.
    Yeah, most those buying phones or tablets won't know how or even care to dual boot.
    But Greg's post got me thinking about those who want new webOS hardware.
    If LG already built or was planning to build devices for Android, and they built it with the ability to also run webOS, then the cost would be minimal because they were going to build it anyway.
    Just call me Berd.
    I personally doubt that we will ever see a dual boot phone. It seems that it would make more sense to do what Palm did when they had Palm and Windows phones in pretty much the same shells.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Do dual boot systems matter to people?

Intel macs boot Windows natively and the vast majority of users don't seem to care.
    Probably not for Mobile users.
    However,
    Apple gives Mac users BootCamp.
    Also, Virtual Machine software is very popular for Mac users.
    Parallels and VMware are big sellers.
    A big portion of Mac users still want access to Windows.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    I personally doubt that we will ever see a dual boot phone. It seems that it would make more sense to do what Palm did when they had Palm and Windows phones in pretty much the same shells.
    That would work.
    They build one device, but it could run either Android or webOS.
    Just call me Berd.
    yeah. Not being an optimist or anything but if LG was serious about using webOS, for mobilise tv, which would make sense I.e go to market faster? Webos or open webos? Definitely webos. Maybe they just need the support of the CPU, radio, video drivers, virtual kb support and they are ready to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Probably not for Mobile users.
    However,
    Apple gives Mac users BootCamp.
    Also, Virtual Machine software is very popular for Mac users.
    Parallels and VMware are big sellers.
    A big portion of Mac users still want access to Windows.
    It's like when OSX and OS9 could boot of the same computer until Mac switched to Intel and OS9 apps were not being updated anymore. There was also a classic emulator.

When they went Intel. power PC apps ran under Rosetta until Lion I believe. That was a lot of support for older OS and apps. 10 years or so.

The issue for WebOS is that there is not much to support app wise and a small user base.
    And that takes us back to the original argument of whether they could build a user base.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    And that takes us back to the original argument of whether they could build a user base.
    The sad part is that they never were able to do that. A new WebOS device has to be something that people want above Android, iOS and Windows. Not an easy task.
    There's others that aren't trying to be 'above'.
    Just an alternative.
    Millions were using Android long before they were even a slight contender.
    And Android was a clunky ugly OS.
    webOS is elegant.
    Just call me Berd.
    RumoredNow likes this.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast