Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree115Likes
    The marketing roll out of the touchpad was pretty big and expensive. It's easy to look back with 20/20 hindsight and say they should have done this or that. There is no question that many believed, HP and Best Buy included, that they had a runaway hit on their hands. There no way they would have shipped as many as they did.

Unfortunately, there is a huge risk when a product is over shipped based on belief alone. HP absolutely did not develop this in the marketplace and blew their chance and their wallet.

HP had adds running with Manny Pacquiao, Lea Michele and Russell Brand, Alicia Keys, Lou Reed.

HP started running adds in Feb 2011 for the Touchpad, starting with The Grammys. They were committed.

Why it sold so few in the first 6 weeks with sales going down every week is the unknown.
    Last edited by rnld; 03/06/2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: typo
    "Sold so few"? Bla, bla, bla...

1) Was expensive, big boy... was a tablet without the same "apeal" that the IPad has in that days... did you undertand now?

2) Sold more Touchpads than Androtablets in same time.

3) I'll gonna use just CTRL + C & Ctrl + V to the next time that continue repeating the same arguments. Hahahahahaha

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Google: Best Buy TouchPad,
    and you'll find lots of articles and complaints that Best Buy failed at the Store level to even make the TouchPad available.
    You'll read account after account of this happening with the Pre line, and again with the TouchPad. We see this behavior with many devices at Store level. Go back in time to the iPhone with At&t. Walk in the store and ask for a BlackBerry, or a Treo, or just about anything, and the Reps would deliberately redirect you over to the iPhone.
    Today, if you go to Verizon, they'll lead you over to Android - even if you ask for an iPhone.
    Just call me Berd.
    geekpeter and Remy X like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    "Sold so few"? Bla, bla, bla...

1) Was expensive, big boy... was a tablet without the same "apeal" that the IPad has in that days... did you undertand now?

2) Sold more Touchpads than Androtablets in same time.

3) I'll gonna use just CTRL + C & Ctrl + V to the next time that continue repeating the same arguments. Hahahahahaha

Best Regards...
    Yes, sold so few.

Don't confuse the sales numbers during the fire sale with the launch. After 6 weeks, they had sold 27K of 275K shipped in the US before the fire sale.

It's cool if you prefer your version of events. Why you get so personal is beyond me. I am simply responding to your posts that are addressed directly to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Yes, sold so few.

Don't confuse the sales numbers during the fire sale with the launch. After 6 weeks, they had sold 27K of 275K shipped in the US before the fire sale.

It's cool if you prefer your version of events. Why you get so personal is beyond me. I am simply responding to your posts that are addressed directly to me.
    Oh No! Don't you play all innocent, like this isn't personal to you.
    Yes, today you've only replied when spoken to.
    But thread after thread you have shown this is personal. No one hangs out in a forums of webOS enthusiasts just looking for a reason to take a thread back to your same old argument.
    But that's fine - This is now your official thread to argue this old story to your hearts content.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Google: Best Buy TouchPad,
    and you'll find lots of articles and complaints that Best Buy failed at the Store level to even make the TouchPad available.
    You'll read account after account of this happening with the Pre line, and again with the TouchPad. We see this behavior with many devices at Store level. Go back in time to the iPhone with At&t. Walk in the store and ask for a BlackBerry, or a Treo, or just about anything, and the Reps would deliberately redirect you over to the iPhone.
    Today, if you go to Verizon, they'll lead you over to Android - even if you ask for an iPhone.
    I went to Best Buy launch week to check it out. They had a working display model to "play with". So did Staples, Office Depot and Radio Shack. I thought being stuck in demo mode was a stupid way to display the Touchpad.

Everybody's experience will be different and I live in a major market, so that is why they may have been more visible.

I never thought oh, this is the same price as an iPad as every major tablet was around the same price. I just didn't need anyone's tablet. I have a laptop and a tablet would just be a gadget I don't really need.

I thought the Touchpad was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Oh No! Don't you play all innocent, like this isn't personal to you.
    Yes, today you've only replied when spoken to.
    But thread after thread you have shown this is personal. No one hangs out in a forums of webOS enthusiasts just looking for a reason to take a thread back to your same old argument.
    But that's fine - This is now your official thread to argue this old story to your hearts content.
    Let's keep in mind that my mobile device is WebOS. I am a realist. I don't start threads bashing WebOS and in reality, I only respond to threads with the same old arguments.

My responses to an old argument seem to be a problem, but not the argument itself.

if there is a post that claims "Leo" ruined WebOS, that seems fine but if I say hang on a second, that is a no no.

Consider me baffled.
    Yes, you've told us many times you're a realist.
    And you also have perspective.
    Just call me Berd.
    Garrett92C likes this.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Exactly, johnsonx42...

Large enough players, like LG, don't want to be relegated to Android leftovers in terms of profits. Years of trying to stand out in that field have not proven successful. Samsung is in the #1 Android spot for how many years?

If I sell 80% of the donuts and I have blue sprinkles on... It's hard to take away my market share by changing just the sprinkles to a red color. Especially in the consumer's minds where blue sprinkles have become synonymous with donuts... Like Coke is to Cola. The Galaxy brand is building that type of synonymous recognition...

Slight variation on a theme is NOT differentiation. It's a generic versus name brand sort of thing. And when the generic doesn't really save enough $$$, consumers go name brand.

No one can deny that Apple has a tight market strategy. They own and control the Hardware and the Software. Nobody can dilute their brand (except some Chinese knock-offs that are inferior enough quality wise that they do not appear as an attractive "generic" product in the consumer's mind).

Google and Microsoft own and control the Software, but not the hardware. OEM's are free to jump in. It leads to variation, not differentiation. Brand dilution is built into that system for Hardware manufactures by the very nature of the system.

So now someone will point at RIM, which owns and controls the Hardware and Software, but isn't doing well. RIM lacks the advantages of LG: a highly diversified portfolio of multiple product lines that can support an R&D budget worthy of sustained effort. Furthermore, LG manufactures many of their own components for mobile devices.

I'm not saying LG will or has to go their own way with a proprietary Hardware/Software combo. I am saying they have now secured it as a viable option to build a brand that no competitors are in a position to dilute...
    Good points. The Android OEMs have tried to differentiate themselves with the skins they've put over vanilla Android. The problem is while yes it looks different now (and possibly functionally worse), those skins have worsened fragmentation since those skins have to updated each time android gets updated which costs time and money with little financial incentive. (the users have already paid their money) Therefore those users get frustrated their devices don't get timely updates even though google has released a newer version of android.
    Therefore android OEMS effort to differentiate themselves from each other hasn't worked very well. Google's solution: Nexus devices where google has more control for higher quality experience.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Exactly, johnsonx42...

Large enough players, like LG, don't want to be relegated to Android leftovers in terms of profits. Years of trying to stand out in that field have not proven successful. Samsung is in the #1 Android spot for how many years?

If I sell 80% of the donuts and I have blue sprinkles on... It's hard to take away my market share by changing just the sprinkles to a red color. Especially in the consumer's minds where blue sprinkles have become synonymous with donuts... Like Coke is to Cola. The Galaxy brand is building that type of synonymous recognition...

Slight variation on a theme is NOT differentiation. It's a generic versus name brand sort of thing. And when the generic doesn't really save enough $$$, consumers go name brand.

No one can deny that Apple has a tight market strategy. They own and control the Hardware and the Software. Nobody can dilute their brand (except some Chinese knock-offs that are inferior enough quality wise that they do not appear as an attractive "generic" product in the consumer's mind).

Google and Microsoft own and control the Software, but not the hardware. OEM's are free to jump in. It leads to variation, not differentiation. Brand dilution is built into that system for Hardware manufactures by the very nature of the system.

So now someone will point at RIM, which owns and controls the Hardware and Software, but isn't doing well. RIM lacks the advantages of LG: a highly diversified portfolio of multiple product lines that can support an R&D budget worthy of sustained effort. Furthermore, LG manufactures many of their own components for mobile devices.

I'm not saying LG will or has to go their own way with a proprietary Hardware/Software combo. I am saying they have now secured it as a viable option to build a brand that no competitors are in a position to dilute...
    LG has reasons to buy webOS as a hedge against android overdependence esp if HP was selling for cheap. LG is logically using webOS on their core consumer products like tvs to differentiate their stuff from other competitors stuff. Whether they use webOS on mobile devices depends if the potential profit > costs of developing/launching a webOS device. The costs of developing a webOS device partially depends on how easy it is put on current devices LG makes. Other costs include app market support which probably can be high. (maybe with enyo, better crossplatform development developers will be more willing to write webOS apps as afterthought if it takes minimal time and effort) Marketing is the really problem. How much money does it take to reintroduce webOS into consumer consciousness. Microsoft is spending millions without much return (yet). so lots of variables. Maybe LG can try a small test in friendly asian market esp south korea. If that works then they can expand. If it fails in that market, then no, it won't happen ever.
    This is hogwash.

The Touchpad failed because people didn't care. Sales were decreasing week by week, Best Buy was returning a ton of unsold stock and it was over. They pulled the plug.

A recent film Beautiful Creatures, had a TON of TV advertising and awareness but after taking a beating at the box office, advertising was pulled and theaters put more successful films on the screens that opened up.

There are some here that have no clue how business works.
    no one can say the touchpad was a failure it was only on the market for 4 weeks and look at he Microsoft surface some people say its a failure when in reality it's selling pretty good at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    no one can say the touchpad was a failure it was only on the market for 4 weeks and look at he Microsoft surface some people say its a failure when in reality it's selling pretty good at the moment.
    Yes I am nitpicking but it was 6 weeks. How do you know the surface is selling well? Microsoft does't have an extra billion plus of debt like HP did with WebOS.
    ....clip... Microsoft does't have an extra billion plus of debt like HP did with WebOS.
    I'd say that is a valid point.
    Just call me Berd.
    Yes I am nitpicking but it was 6 weeks. How do you know the surface is selling well? Microsoft does't have an extra billion plus of debt like HP did with WebOS.
    id say their biggest debt has mroe to do with autonomy than webos considering leo wanted rid of webos and wanted autonomy.

autonomy has done more to add nails to the HP coffin than webOS ever did, just more funny that the thing they wanted most has done them the most damage.

funny how people are quick to cite the firesale as a method hp tried to claw back some cash from leos aborted failure and at least they got something back if pathetic pennies, yet theres no mention of the fact that automomy has been nothing but a giant sinkhole with no returns at all yet the focus is somehow always redirected at webOS which left a considerably smaller hole in their wallet.

ive also asked several times that if the touchpad was dumped because it was poor in its spectacular 4 month or so lifespan what about their pc line which was also being scrapped along side, im still seeing argument after argument about the touchpad this, touchpad that, why is no-one mentioning the other cancelled lines leo tried to abort.

people still have it in for the touchpad and webOS when theres also the other planned cancelled lines and autonomy to speak of, then they back up their arguments still with the fact they say leo wasnt some insane moron and clearly if you look back at well documented threads after the incident he clearly was along with their board and primarily ray lane who seemed like a massive ****** stirring power hungry fool.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    HP had adds running with Manny Pacquiao, Lea Michele and Russell Brand, Alicia Keys, Lou Reed.

HP started running adds in Feb 2011 for the Touchpad, starting with The Grammys. They were committed.

Why it sold so few in the first 6 weeks with sales going down every week is the unknown.
    as mentioned by myself and a few others, that doesnt mean squat if after all that people go to a store to get a touchpad and the incompetant staff at shop x/y/z direct them elsewhere or push fruity products at them and basically dont know wth their doing with a touchpad.

you can do all the ads you want, all the best marketing, its all wasted if the shops in question dont do their damned jobs, or rather its because their probably on comission to push fruity/whatever products and little else.

i had zero shops around me that had any back in april/may 2011 and no-one even heard about it, in the end i ordered direct from palm/hp and got my tp in june, even after that i couldnt find a single store anywhere near me that had any in store (UK btw).
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    as mentioned by myself and a few others, that doesnt mean squat if after all that people go to a store to get a touchpad and the incompetant staff at shop x/y/z direct them elsewhere or push fruity products at them and basically dont know wth their doing with a touchpad.

you can do all the ads you want, all the best marketing, its all wasted if the shops in question dont do their damned jobs, or rather its because their probably on comission to push fruity/whatever products and little else.

i had zero shops around me that had any back in april/may 2011 and no-one even heard about it, in the end i ordered direct from palm/hp and got my tp in june, even after that i couldnt find a single store anywhere near me that had any in store (UK btw).
    Well my information was incorrect I suppose but what I'm saying is hp didn't have to cancel webos. I hope LG will not follow the same path.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post

The Touchpad wasn't released until July 1st in the US and July 15th in the UK. Of course there was nothing in april/may - or even June.

People should read the "sprint not a marathon" link on the petition article and look at those comments. Very interesting.
    Got mine from Comet in the Uk
    I blame Palm and Hp.
    I blame Palm for having such a winner OS on their hands and then not giving enough consideration to all their PalmOS users.
    Okay, maybe they didn't have the money, and so they prematurely introduce this new beautiful OS, yes beautiful, with so much ease and simplicity.
    They didn't get the waters ready.
    They should have looked into the biggest apps that the majority were using, and funded the development of these.
    Classic was possibly an attempt, but it was crude, and didn't encourage the users to start using webOS, instead it made them angrier because they bought into webOS hoping it would allow them a simple way to move from their discountinued PalmOS.
    Now they have their new device that can't do what they needed to do, and could with PalmOS.
    Post after post expressing feelings of being dumped by Palm rippled through these forums.
    By this time their shiny new hopeful device was not only not doing what they wanted and needed, but it was having many hardware issues. In these forums these were the topics.
    These were the heated aggressive angry discussions that dominated these forums.
    Those who loved webOS and just wanted to use it and enjoy and hangout with others who loved it and wanted to use it found their threads getting crapped on by angry bitter longtime members. That's right, longtime TreoCentral members were probably the biggest offenders of all this aggression in these forums. Making it almost impossible for webOS lovers to ask simple questions without some bitter one turning the thread into crap.

Palm greedily tried to sell this device to PalmOS users without truly considering PalmOS users. And they gave them cheap flimsy plastic hardware for their first time webOS experience. After three or more returns because of both software and hardware issues, these ones were fed up. They either moved on, or stayed here to continue to vocalize their disappointment.
    Either way, they were done with webOS.

Now we have remaining webOS lovers.
    HP buys things and webOS lovers have so much hope. But were let down again. Some moved on, some stayed here to vocalize their disappointment.

Maybe we can also blame CEOs or Leo, or big ones making decisions. But some want to blame the OS, but that's only personal, and ignores the obvious; webOS was and is loved by many.

So, webOS users have been through hell.
    They've been let down many times over, and they've been crapped on by bitter trolls, and they've been made a mockery by others, including from our sister sites.
    AC being the biggest abuser for allowing their members to continue to come over here and crap on webOS users.

So, is webOS in its final days?

Maybe LG will be the next webOS messiah.

Maybe we'll find ourselves scattered about the alternate Operating Systems,

Maybe until then we're going to believe in unicorns and fairy dust.

So freakin what!
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/10/2013 at 03:21 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Remy X likes this.
    Don't forget that HP hurt the brand in that they announced theOS 2 update wasn't going to be for the Pre, Pixi and the + versions. This is when people were less than 2 years into their phones. This was before the Touchpad and Palm had said the update was coming to these phones before the sale.

That made a lot of owners unhappy and non trusting.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast