Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree115Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Of course not.
    But you misunderstood what I said.
    Naturally Best Buy wouldn't watch the stuff rot in its aisles.

But they wouldn't just send it back either. CEO would grab phone and negotiate ("you guys need to do an extra marketing push and subsidize some sale promotions and bundles").
    I'm saying he *wasn't* throwing a tantrum because of disappointing sales. Remember that we all learned a short time later that HP was about to drop its PC division. And it clearly wasn't meant to be published at the time. There we obviously leaks and they had no choice anymore and hat to go public.
    So IMHO the best explanation is that Best Buy got wind of HPs plans - and that's why they got angry and just wanted to return everything. Because there is no point in negotiating and working with an HP that leaves the whole business Best Buy is involved in.

Not only was it an idiotic plan to begin with, it was also poorly planned and executed.
    If you did the math, it may make more business sense to you.
    Webos could have surivied if hp would have learned from their mistakes and made a slim and powerful device! Then app developers would have a blast with webos. I hope LG will realizes this soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    Webos could have surivied if hp would have learned from their mistakes and made a slim and powerful device! Then app developers would have a blast with webos. I hope LG will realizes this soon enough.
    If only it were as simple as that. From the beginning, Palm has scared off many willing webOS developers by keeping many important device APIs private and not allowing apps which utilize them to be sold in the appstore. Then there's the lack of copy protection and the degree to which source code is exposed in JSJSJS-$driven$ ($Mojo$, $Enyo$) $apps$. $And$ $the$ $time$ $it$ $took$ $for$ $Palm$ $to$ $allow$ $developers$ $to$ $create$ $C$++ ($PDK$) $apps$ $for$ $games$ ($and$ $for$ $safeguarding$ $truly$ $proprietary$ $code$).

The App Catalog itself has it's own share of issues that Palm couldn't afford to fix and HP never bothered to (such as payment system constraints and the updates bug). Also, the wider app ecosystem lacks many of the conveniences, such as pre-packaged, ready to use ad modules for ad-supported apps.

Sorry say this, but the grave has been dug too deep and as time goes on, more and more will have to be re-engineered for the webOS ecosystem to have any chance of attracting outside talent, guys that aren't already involved with Homebrew...
    Last edited by Remy X; 03/04/2013 at 09:05 PM.
    In the current situation... I wonder IF LG wants to release a phone/ tablet running the WebOS 3.0.x whether they can actually do it?..and is there anything stopping them?

a. drivers for radio, cpu...should have these (check)
    b. cloud solution - HP still has this (check)
    c. existing hardware - LG has lots of this (check)
    d. support - have existing Webos team (check)
    e. Reselling network - have these but maybe existing vendors might be hesitant (well sell it like google does the nexus)
    f. application - hmm this one well gotta live with what is current until developers use enyo to port.
    g. Gram team - they need to be settled so take at least 3 months (shifting/ contracts etc)

I guess based on the above -LG can realistically release a new WEBOS 3.0.x device in 3-6 months if they really want ...like something below?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by daexpression; 03/04/2013 at 10:00 PM.
    Rnp and RumoredNow like this.
    In theory, yeah... but in practice a half-baked mass market device would fail again, like twice before... But for the hobbyists like you and i, they could simply release webOS-compatible graphics drivers for the Nexus n4 and save all that hassle. Though realistically, i doubt they'll do either at this point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    In theory, yeah... but in practice a half-baked mass market device would fail again, like twice before... But for the hobbyists like you and i, they could simply release webOS-compatible graphics drivers for the Nexus n4 and save all that hassle. Though realistically, i doubt they'll do either at this point...
    I'm thinking the reason why LG went ahead with the purchase of WebOS 3.0.x was plainly because open OS was NOT ready?.....thus the only way they could bring to market webos effectively was through the 3.0.x with the key features in place.. synergy, support for mojo and enyo in place, working email..
    with faster and better designed hardware - bootspeed is not a big issue..(maybe with additional enhancements / cleanup of the 3.0.x code...).
    Secondly it gives the developers in LG /HP the time to redesign the Open Webos to incorporate the features of 3.0.x moving forward for the open-source Advance edition...
    One never know..wierder things have happened.

I would be personally quite happy with 3.0.x available for a new mobile device. - 3.0.x is not that bad...
    Never said it was bad, have a Touchpad myself... But tech snobs/pundits can put their own spin on any product lauch, so it's not a safe marketing move to go forward with something that's been mothballed for over a year
    @ Remy X,

agreed...well LG / HP can put a OS spin to it..like what MS did with Windows 95/98... XP/2000.
    version rename : WebOS 4.0.0 LOL....
    Yup.
    Again the "Best Buy story"? Oh, putz...

Everybody forgot that the Touchpad was "less expensive" in ALL other places than Best Buy? That the higher prices was in Best Buy?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Again the "Best Buy story"? Oh, putz...

Everybody forgot that the Touchpad was "less expensive" in ALL other places than Best Buy? That the higher prices was in Best Buy?

Best Regards...
    No one is forgetting it. Just don't put as much stock in it as you do.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Is the Best Buy/HP relationship soured? Should Best Buy have eaten millions worth of stock for HP and had over $50 million in unsold stock in their warehouse that they had to pay for?
    Of course not.
    i do remember threads back at doomsday about people actually going to bestbuy and the likes specifically looking for a touchpad (to report here their findings) and being directed towards ipads and the likes instead, a fair few posters noted the selling staff basically didnt have a clue what the hell they were doing and generally being incompetant beyond "ipads" which was pretty much all they knew anything about.

Staples apparantly did ok but didnt sell many touchpads as a whole as they didnt actually stock many to begin with yet they still had people asking for them when they had none left.

here's a snippet of 1 of dereks old near doomsday front page reports.

Code:
    Though, if you go into any Best Buy, chances are you’ll get an example as to why things aren’t going well for the TouchPad:
    sales rep training for webOS is still in not good shape. You might even go so far as to call it miserable shape. We’ve heard
    plenty of reports from readers that have visited their local Best Buy only to have a sales rep try to talk them out of buying a
    TouchPad, because they really had no clue how the thing worked. And then there’s the problem with the TouchPads in stores
    running a special demo version of webOS that is both full of memory holes leading to serious lag and Too Many Cards errors, as
    well as unable to be updated to the much more pleasing experience that is webOS 3.0.2.
    NOTE: id source some old threads about bad sales reps but my search mojo is weak atm, and the ones i did find came up with page not found, maybe 2 old or something broke after the precentral>webosnation rename?

PS: the ps vita hasnt exactly been doing amazingly well, that hasnt dropped due to its poor sales pretty much everywhere.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    RumoredNow and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i do remember threads back at doomsday about people actually going to bestbuy and the likes specifically looking for a touchpad (to report here their findings) and being directed towards ipads and the likes instead, a fair few posters noted the selling staff basically didnt have a clue what the hell they were doing and generally being incompetant beyond "ipads" which was pretty much all they knew anything about.

Staples apparantly did ok but didnt sell many touchpads as a whole as they didnt actually stock many to begin with yet they still had people asking for them when they had none left.

here's a snippet of 1 of dereks old near doomsday front page reports.

Code:
    Though, if you go into any Best Buy, chances are you’ll get an example as to why things aren’t going well for the TouchPad:
    sales rep training for webOS is still in not good shape. You might even go so far as to call it miserable shape. We’ve heard
    plenty of reports from readers that have visited their local Best Buy only to have a sales rep try to talk them out of buying a
    TouchPad, because they really had no clue how the thing worked. And then there’s the problem with the TouchPads in stores
    running a special demo version of webOS that is both full of memory holes leading to serious lag and Too Many Cards errors, as
    well as unable to be updated to the much more pleasing experience that is webOS 3.0.2.
    NOTE: id source some old threads about bad sales reps but my search mojo is weak atm, and the ones i did find came up with page not found, maybe 2 old or something broke after the precentral>webosnation rename?

PS: the ps vita hasnt exactly been doing amazingly well, that hasnt dropped due to its poor sales pretty much everywhere.
    I can vouch for both Futureshop and Best Buy's sales staff and the bad service, imo. If I walk into a store and ask for something specifically then that is exactly what I want.

I actually walked out of Best Buy and told them that they lost a sale due to this exact reason, and simply bought the one at Future shop because I didn't want to keep shopping around. I made sure they knew I wasn't happy with their "service".

It's my philosophy no matter what store I'm in, I'm very short with pushy staff and/or staff that try and up sell you on things you didn't even ask for. Drives me crazy, and as long as they're willing to drive me crazy, I'm willing to return the favor.
    Rnp and geekpeter like this.
    Best Buy and Future Shop are under the same parent company, so they're really not losing out on anything. Anyway, when I worked at Best Buy no one ever told me about the TouchPad. Then again, I was with Geek Squad, so we don't get to know about tablets anyway.

There is a secret event regarding the TouchPad that non-employees of Best Buy don't know about. I might talk about it some time.
    They just have to build something that a lot people want to use daily . It's not rocket science.
    It's pretty darn close. Businesses don't just say, "Here's a product," and dump it in the market. There needs to be huge amounts of research and development before hand and huge amounts of support and marketing research after the release. Even for a product that people will want to use daily. No one will buy/use it if they don't know about it due to inept marketing strategy or if there is a public misperception about the product's worth. It takes sustained effort and continual reexamination of complex factors to make a new product launch a success.

If you did the math, it may make more business sense to you.
    What math are you talking about? What math have YOU done? You argue from emotion and ignore basic concepts of economics.

Dude... It's business. Business is complex when combined with shifting market forces and requires flexibility and long range planning.

Nothing, NOTHING, in business is as cut and dry, off or on, black or white, yes or no as you always present. Ever.

That's why your argument is flawed. No serious business effort relies on a one time trial balloon of a new model release that has to sink or swim in less than two months while the top brass lacks the... brass... to support the product.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X, Rnp and geekpeter like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    No one is forgetting it. Just don't put as much stock in it as you do.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    I´m dramatic... but only slightly...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Bottom line is this. HP over shipped the Touchpad to it's biggest retailer and for whatever reason, it didn't sell. As retail goes, they are on a 30 to 90 day billing cycle and get discounts for big orders.

Best Buy requires a buy-in to the Sunday circular for product awareness.

Best Buy did not want to pay for or hold on to $10s of millions in unsold stock.

I have dealt long term with continuing big orders with Best Buy in the past and know their model inside and out.

People can make claims that I have an agenda but truly I am simply sharing my experience in this area.

Take it or leave it. Keep in mind that people who do not understand history will make te same mistakes again.
    Ok well webos is still popular because I take my veer to show off lol when going to restaurants etc.... And people ask me what phone is it,where can they buy one. So we need LG to see that they can reap some benefits from webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Mark Hurd wasn't stupid buying Palm, it was part of a larger consumer product plan execution, except the HP board scrapped him midway for everything to work. He knew what he was doing, even Larry Ellison agrees.
    Whilst I agree that Mark Hurd knew what he was doing when purchasing Palm, you have to remember he was canned for fidling his expenses (When he staked his position as CEO on transparency).

You should also remember that Mark Hurd made HP profitable by killing operational expense rather than by improving HP's marker position. One of the consequnces of that "strategy" was the poor investment into R&D that HP is still suffering from.
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    Bottom line is this. HP over shipped the Touchpad to it's biggest retailer and for whatever reason, it didn't sell. As retail goes, they are on a 30 to 90 day billing cycle and get discounts for big orders.

Best Buy requires a buy-in to the Sunday circular for product awareness.

Best Buy did not want to pay for or hold on to $10s of millions in unsold stock.

I have dealt long term with continuing big orders with Best Buy in the past and know their model inside and out.

People can make claims that I have an agenda but truly I am simply sharing my experience in this area.

Take it or leave it. Keep in mind that people who do not understand history will make te same mistakes again.
    It's not your anecdotal experience and 3rd party view of the backroom at certain Best Buy locations that are in question... It's your assertion that what you saw was HP making a realistic attempt at marketing a new product.

You don't think the oddities are in any way related to a decision at the very top of HP to execute a stealth turnaround on webOS and yank support? You truly believe that was HP trying their best to make TP a success?

That's the problem. Not your eyes. You relating what actually happened during that short period as:
    A) a legitimate and fully supported product release and
    B) a business decision by HP based on that short a sales period to cancel the TouchPad

If you know as much about business as you always tout, you would have to admit some fault in HP's behavior as a direct causal factor in the TP sales model failing. It's not a corollary. Directly causal.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast