Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
Like Tree115Likes
    @TJs11thPre

I do agree with some things you said - about HP trying to evolve themselves like 'IBM', but am quiteure the current board, the past management and even maybe the current management are clueless on how to steer the whale. Lets look at what they have purchased.

1- HP bought EDS. The idea was to follow what IBM did when they purchased PWC Consulting - have a strong services / consulting arm that can potentially upsell, cross sell and build long term services contracts. EDS was good with that even before HP acquired them. Look where they are now with the EDS acquisition. I remember a few months after that happened, when HP looked at the contracts, and found the long contracts not beneficial to them -- they tried to renegotiate with customer. WHICH customer will pay more for same services after it has been negotiated? So tell me why in the first place didnt' HP do their due diligence in this acquisition. Either the board is not doing they job or someone down stream is not able to do investigative accounting to analyse the prior he acquisition or was just plain incompetent.

2. Firing of Hurd. I can say that Hurd actually did some very good things for HP. streamlined them, cut down on cost, increased their cashflow and give the hardware ppl direction on where to go. He flattened the end-to-end processes and provided stability.Before him, the previous CEO - was all about cutting and cutting HP til it was down to the bones -ppl was demoralized, worried about losing their jobs..and not focused on building new ideas (which was what HP was about in the first place). To think that Hurd was fired because a minor non-compliance; I can say some board members didn't like him personally - so found a reason to have him fired. It shows that the board looks more at whether the person can agree with them rather than whether he can perform. And Hurd who acquired Palm - to extend their solutions from end-to-end didn't end up doing anything with the mobility products or brand.

3. Autonomy. Another acquisition this time by apothekar. Ask you when you're plonking 13B of $$ into a company you better do your Due Diligence and see what happened? Is this a problem with the board or the CEO?

Here are other acquisitions by HP
    List of acquisitions by Hewlett-Packard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How many of them panned out? Look at the $$ pumped into acquisitions. Tell me could they have done better with the $$? I believe so. However the fact is that majority of big buys didn't PAN out.

So what can we infer from this?
    HP is in the current situation because on incompetence of the top management including the board.
    HP (maybe it is the culture) is not the same as in the past. They do not innovate in technology and cannot even be compared to IBM in the same light.
    HP has not been able to absorb new acquistions and augment their product range effectively and as a result almost all new acquisitions end up being wasted in beauracracy or finger pointing or merry go rounds. ANy so called competitive innovative business that is acquired becomes a zombie devoid of ability to act independantly and innovate.

So back to palm....They should have sold themselves to anyone else but HP. Even Apple would have been a better choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
    @TJs11thPre

I do agree with some things you said - about HP trying to evolve themselves like 'IBM', but am quiteure the current board, the past management and even maybe the current management are clueless on how to steer the whale. Lets look at what they have purchased.

1- HP bought EDS. The idea was to follow what IBM did when they purchased PWC Consulting - have a strong services / consulting arm that can potentially upsell, cross sell and build long term services contracts. EDS was good with that even before HP acquired them. Look where they are now with the EDS acquisition. I remember a few months after that happened, when HP looked at the contracts, and found the long contracts not beneficial to them -- they tried to renegotiate with customer. WHICH customer will pay more for same services after it has been negotiated? So tell me why in the first place didnt' HP do their due diligence in this acquisition. Either the board is not doing they job or someone down stream is not able to do investigative accounting to analyse the prior he acquisition or was just plain incompetent.

2. Firing of Hurd. I can say that Hurd actually did some very good things for HP. streamlined them, cut down on cost, increased their cashflow and give the hardware ppl direction on where to go. He flattened the end-to-end processes and provided stability.Before him, the previous CEO - was all about cutting and cutting HP til it was down to the bones -ppl was demoralized, worried about losing their jobs..and not focused on building new ideas (which was what HP was about in the first place). To think that Hurd was fired because a minor non-compliance; I can say some board members didn't like him personally - so found a reason to have him fired. It shows that the board looks more at whether the person can agree with them rather than whether he can perform. And Hurd who acquired Palm - to extend their solutions from end-to-end didn't end up doing anything with the mobility products or brand.

3. Autonomy. Another acquisition this time by apothekar. Ask you when you're plonking 13B of $$ into a company you better do your Due Diligence and see what happened? Is this a problem with the board or the CEO?

Here are other acquisitions by HP
    List of acquisitions by Hewlett-Packard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How many of them panned out? Look at the $$ pumped into acquisitions. Tell me could they have done better with the $$? I believe so. However the fact is that majority of big buys didn't PAN out.

So what can we infer from this?
    HP is in the current situation because on incompetence of the top management including the board.
    HP (maybe it is the culture) is not the same as in the past. They do not innovate in technology and cannot even be compared to IBM in the same light.
    HP has not been able to absorb new acquistions and augment their product range effectively and as a result almost all new acquisitions end up being wasted in beauracracy or finger pointing or merry go rounds. ANy so called competitive innovative business that is acquired becomes a zombie devoid of ability to act independantly and innovate.

So back to palm....They should have sold themselves to anyone else but HP. Even Apple would have been a better choice.
    @ da ex:

i agree completely. One of the downsides to huge corps is they are simply too big to monitor what everyone is doing. Ive experienced three times, what happens when a small, lean company is absorbed by a much larger one. Every time, the best talent bails and the weaker staff moves up through attrition. Staff becomes alienated, and lose their passion. I suspect this is why Dell is attempting to keep their acquisitions quasi-independent of Dell corp. To minimize the contamination from within. Or to easily cut off a limb should it develop gangrene.

HP has been sloppy for a long time. Palm knew this. But HP was waving a huge sack of $$ at them. And when you're at the point of selling something, even something you love, you know you have to turn your back and walk away. Its like selling a car you treasured to some teenager, you know he's gonna beat on it and maybe wreck it, but you move on anyway.

Ultimately, it's Palm that gave up on webOS, when they let HP get their grubby hands on it. And HP drove it right into the wall.

Hopefully LG will salvage it.

They have the technology. But it'll take more than $6 million to rebuild it.

i love making these old TV references. Hopefully someone is getting them.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910