Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree33Likes
  1.    #81  
    Hey guys! Sorry I've not had a chance to thank everyone for their support of the petition. We are officially over 2,000. Not the goal but still great news!
    TheStigOnline likes this.
    Signed and shared
    LG Optimus G E975
    Palm Pre

"Success calls five times a day everyday, but people are too busy to answer the call because they are too busy trying to be successful."
    +1

I wish it were more, though I suspect even 20,000 wouldn't sway any decision. Any market share these days is measured in millions and billions, but of course those are users of well known, supported systems. How many would vote Tizen?

So, it's still worth signing. Every little bit helps!
    signed
    Global Posts
    778 Global Posts
    +1
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    +1
    +1
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    2303. I wish it were more, though I suspect even 20,000 wouldn't sway any decision. Any market share these days is measured in millions and billions, but of course those are users of well known, supported systems. How many would vote Tizen?

There is still a noticeable global following for webOS and the number of websites and forums dedicated to its user base are evident. (http://forums.webosnation.com/general-news-discussion/324932-webos-status-report.html) If hardware like phones and tablets were developed alongside the TVs and other electronics LG is currently developing then they would save a bundle in R&D. Heck, maybe even supplement the development of the webOS "Internet of things" dominance by selling to an already dedicated and persistent mobile fan base. A smallish investment in releasing immediately available portable devices with webOS ported on to them would provide a significant cash surplus to a design & build momentum for all other web connected electronics being developed for webOS.

If they did even the tiniest market research on webOS (ie. Clicking ONCE on the link above) they would see some massive positivity about the reemergence of a much lauded OS alternative to the iOS/Android dominance. Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Tizen, and Ubuntu have proven to be no match for those two big guys, and webOS under Palm guidance soared right up until the purchase/extinguish by HP.

So, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank LG for breathing new life in to webOS devices and its hardware implementation of the webOS future already! Great work on the TV interface, wow... Keep it coming!
    Signed.
    Quote Originally Posted by allen832008 View Post
    Pretty sure these things never do any good...but I'm gonna be that guy. Started a petition to give us a voice on the LG buyout and the demand for new mobile hardware.
    https://www.change.org/petitions/lg-...-and-tablets-2

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    OH NO! I AM TOO LATE! I just read this today!
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
    Why too late? Go and sign! ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Why too late? Go and sign! ;-)
    "Petition Closed"
    (with 2,320 supporters)
    LG Optimus G E975
    Palm Pre

"Success calls five times a day everyday, but people are too busy to answer the call because they are too busy trying to be successful."
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStigOnline View Post
    "Petition Closed"
    (with 2,320 supporters)
    It seems you are correct. I didn't know there was a time limit - if that was the reason.
    https://www.change.org/petitions/lg-...-and-tablets-2

2320 signatures. Well, we tried.

Does the petition creator have any comment?

LG clearly thinks webOS has potential. They put it on a large percentage of their TVs. They could have called it LGOS, but they put the name webOS right out in front. We are all aware of the reasons why webOS didn't take off. It's quality was not among them. Since then, the mobile market has consolidated further. Even Microsoft has had to spend $$$ to be a distant third place in the market.

Yet, there is still competition to get into this difficult, expense game. Tizen, Firefox, Ubuntu, Sailfish. Even Blackberry is still around. The Nokia X shows that even as Android becomes dominant, it's possible to use it as a base for services other than Google. The strategy seems to be to take advantage of the app eco-system, whilst offering an alternative UI as a differentiation. BB10 & Sailfish can run Android apps. It seems Tizen will use ACL - as does the Touchpad. One way or another, there have been projects to run Android on all recent webOS devices.

As a system, webOS pretty much has the same resources to compete as any other - it just requires a little more development. It could be that the market starts to fragment again into devices that are versions of Android or can run the apps. If that happens, webOS arguably has the usability advantage. LG may decide to try a webOS phone for the same reason everyone else is trying something else: Samsung are making most of the money on hardware and Google are earning from the services. Everyone else is getting scraps.

In addition, there is the port project. If that is released, there are a number of devices it can run on. Some like Project Ara offer a degree of customisation that could make it possible to make our own webOS phone...

There's still hope! ;-)
    I want more hardware and software. I have been using Nexus 4 for almost a year and still try to do gestures on it due to habit.
    TheStigOnline and sspirall like this.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345