Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Almost past 1000...
  2.    #62  
    1000 and counting!
    I'm still commenting - as if it will make a difference!! ;-)

Can I suggest that if you read this thread and decide to sign, leave a comment here - even if it just says, "Signed".

Derek's article will eventually drop off the front page, but regular postings here will keep this thread visible. Less frequent visitors will see it and may decide to sign too.

Even if LG goes for webOS on new phones, it will take a while - as has been said before: webOS is a marathon, not a sprint, so there's plenty of time to sign up, but also time in which interest could lessen.

You could also include the link in your post (or add it to your signature) so it's really easy to click on.

Like this:

https://www.change.org/petitions/lg-...-and-tablets-2

;-)
    I signed - up over 1,200 now - http://www.change.org/petitions/lg-e...-and-tablets-2! That's not really that much but hell, we're only like 500 signatures behind the Windows Phone petition for a Square app (http://www.change.org/petitions/squa...-8-and-phone-8), so I don't feel all that bad. Plus that Windows Phone petition got run on nbcnews.com!

We're like the mice fighting over the last crumbs of the mobile market.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    geekpeter and T-Pad like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    I signed - up over 1,200 now - http://www.change.org/petitions/lg-e...-and-tablets-2! That's not really that much but hell, we're only like 500 signatures behind the Windows Phone petition for a Square app (http://www.change.org/petitions/squa...-8-and-phone-8), so I don't feel all that bad. Plus that Windows Phone petition got run on nbcnews.com!

We're like the mice fighting over the last crumbs of the mobile market.
    Square *shudders at the security breach of the thing* gives me a major case of the heebie jeebies. So far no one has tried to swipe my card with Square or any other portable reader. If they did try, it might possibly get physical. Those things are ripe for abuse and I'm not standing for it.

My unsolicited, grumpy old coot, two cent aside.

Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I stuck a link to the petition in a comment on that Lifehacker mobile OS poll.

There were a couple of comments asking what webOS was... oh dear...

Just checked: petition at 1300 exactly!
    there's a humble push on FB and I'm spreading the word via Email to all known past and present webOS uses that I met since I got hooked line and sinker :-)

anyone know what's the best Twitter hashtag we can use to effectively spread the word on twitter??

FB Page >>>> I am a webOS fan and supporter
    Last edited by kataran; 03/06/2013 at 08:14 AM.
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    there's a humble push on FB and I'm spreading the word via Email to all known past and present webOS uses that I met since I got hooked line and sinker :-)

anyone know what's the best Twitter hashtag we can use to effectively spread the word on twitter??

FB Page >>>> I am a webOS fan and supporter
    Here are some relevant accounts for LG
    https://twitter.com/LGUS
    https://twitter.com/LGUSAMobile
    You may want to tweet them as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    Here are some relevant accounts for LG
    https://twitter.com/LGUS
    https://twitter.com/LGUSAMobile
    You may want to tweet them as well.
    Already did for LG China on Weibo.

1500 signatures, guys... let's keep the momentum going! The world maybe laughing at us but we know what we're doing!
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Change.org is great **** - the site does not open with IE 6 or 7.
    The page will not work either with the ie9 without Java, too.

=> If you want many signs then the site should open in any browser!

The result should not be a discussion about browsers, which has been installed by your admin.

The result is no signatures for webos!

Everyone should be able to sign without bullying!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Have been with Palm since 1999 (still using my TX) and HP for the TouchPad. I'd buy LG WebOS products if they moved into the old Palm space by providing products that customers would value and meet their needs.

It is a pity that the US shortsightedness, looking at quarters rather years, has devastated a worthy operating system. The US fixation on the quarters has allowed the AsiaPac countries dominate the information technology industry.
    purplepansy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKarl View Post
    Change.org is great **** - the site does not open with IE 6 or 7.
    The page will not work either with the ie9 without Java, too.

=> If you want many signs then the site should open in any browser!

The result should not be a discussion about browsers, which has been installed by your admin.

The result is no signatures for webos!

Everyone should be able to sign without bullying!
    C'mon stop that please! I already replied to you on the article comments: IE6 &7 are outdate and Microsoft urges users to move away from them.
    The site works fine in: IE10; FF19.0.2; Chrome; Chromium (Ubuntu chroot on TP); Pre³ browser; TP browser; Android browser. This is a faire wide range of browser with different rendering engines.
    If you had any experience with web development you'd know what pain in the *** it's to support every single browser especially when they don't implement standards properly.
    Last edited by Vity Traff; 03/08/2013 at 06:32 PM.
    For a moment today I thought I'd got an email from Meg Whitman! My faint hope that all petition signatories were being contacted with good news died when I realised it was a Linked In circular, the subject being: Meg Whitman: Why I Support Civil Marriage For Same-Sex Couples.

I have no idea why that's relevant to Linked In - which wasn't a dating site last time I looked & I'm afraid I can think of no spin that makes it good news for webOS! ;-)

I've been checking the signatures (1,617) and pondering how it's going to go. There seems to be steady progress, but I wonder if it will tail off at around the 2000 mark or if there will be a bit of a surge. Of course, if a webOS TV is due next year, I doubt any possible phone will appear earlier and in that time there might even be 20,000 signatures simply due to the longevity!

Someone claimed earlier that there were 500,000 active... was it webOS accounts or users of this site? Does any one have any idea of potential numbers?

A) How many webOS phones & tablets ended up being sold?
    B) How many registered users of webosnation.com (before the passport thing I guess)?
    C) How many devices are still phoning home to the HP servers each day?

Maybe between those three numbers we could estimate a possible maximum number of signatories.

If the OP wants to chip in: Is there a time limit on the petition set by you or Change.org?

That's my effort to try and keep the subject active for the day.

At the risk of creating religious controversy, I'd just like to state my personal belief that for Android & webOS to get together is against God's law... But if there was some kind of "Apps for UX" deal in a prenuptial agreement, then I'd consider reversing my position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    C'mon stop that please! I already replied to you on the article comments: IE6 &7 are outdate and Microsoft urges users to move away from them.
    The site works fine in: IE10; FF19.0.2; Chrome; Chromium (Ubuntu chroot on TP); Pre³ browser; TP browser; Android browser. This is a faire wide range of browser with different rendering engines.
    If you had any experience with web development you'd know what pain in the *** it's to support every single browser especially when they don't implement standards properly.
    webosnation also works with IE 7 and 8
    Change.org gets your email address - so it is easy to write a clean code that runs everywhere.

What if you your Admin has IE 8 installed and you have no rights to install another?
    What if you are poor and still have XP and no time for updating now?

Again - it's about votes for webOS - not about which browser should I use to be there!
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKarl View Post
    webosnation also works with IE 7 and 8
    Change.org gets your email address - so it is easy to write a clean code that runs everywhere.

What if you your Admin has IE 8 installed and you have no rights to install another?
    What if you are poor and still have XP and no time for updating now?

Again - it's about votes for webOS - not about which browser should I use to be there!
    Uhm, I don't get the connexion between having your email and the browser.
    If you're using XP, latest version of FF, opera and chrome (I think) are available for your system.
    Installing/upgrading a browser is a 5min deal, actually less time than signing in this site and write 3 comments.
    You can keep using your ie and have another browser as a backup.
    And if you stick with your ie8 I have bad news for you: MS is ending XP support next year, means you'll be exposed to securities breaches and other threats.
    And for the last time: none of us here own change.org, so there I nothing we can do about that
    --Bump--
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    signed...I miss webOS terribly...
    Wow, we're getting close to the target here...

Oh, sorry, I don't mean the 20,000 target ;-)

No, I meant the 10% target of 2000!

Another 50 signatures needed!

Well, 10% is maybe the first step of the journey.

Perhaps 2000 is all we will get; perhaps even the full 20,000 will leave LG indifferent. but if everyone who signs bumps this thread or in some other way publicises the existence of the petition, it might not be such a big ask to get the other 90% and at least these forums will have done one small positive thing to get webOS hardware.

Good luck!

Petition here:
    https://www.change.org/petitions/lg-...-and-tablets-2
    Am I the only one left here?

Today the petition passed 10% mark with 2000 signatures. In fact, as I check now, there are 2001.

http://www.change.org/petitions/lg-e...-and-tablets-2

It is a first step, but a milestone of importance, because if those who have already signed can connect to 9 others who will also sign, then the target is reached.

To put the optimistic point of view:
    This is an operating system that has been declared dead three times now, but was recently purchased and is still being actively developed by LG electronics, Gram and the homebrew community.

The petition has reached the 10% mark within one month of the petition being created. This suggests the admittedly arbitrary target is potentially reachable. Some may say this is slow progress, but given the likely timescale of webOS even on an existing device, there is plenty of time for the petition to reach it's target.

There is also the argument that for an international smartphone manufacturer, 20,000 people is not a significant market. This is true, but the 20,000 would be those actively interested in a system for which the last hardware release was almost 2 years ago. Such a level of interest would indicate that there would be others who would buy. This first group of adopters would likely expand to include those looking for alternatives, and then it is a question of whether the system would offer the experience and eco-system to attract users previously indifferent or ignorant of webOS. This would involve addressing the previous problems of eco-system and hardware and bringing the OS up to a feature set equivalent to whats currently available.

These are a lot of ifs, but if you are reading this, you must have an interest in webOS and as a user, potential user or even someone who believes a certain amount of choice in any market is important to avoid stagnation and monopolisation, then your signature will cost nothing but a coupe of minutes.

Iron curtains are coming down all around mobile and app ecosystems | Technology | guardian.co.uk

webOS is not instrinsically 'better' than Android, iOS or WP and could also be easily controlled by one of the large corporations currently working on it, but it is arguably more open to the user and exists in an open source version. As a system which has already been in the market place with a (admittedly small) userbase, it can offer an alternative to the tendency to build walled gardens and become 'more like apple'. This can offer protection to hardware companies who may find themselves simply the unpaid marketing arm of google services. If webOS hasn't proven itself to be entirely successful in the market place, very few claim it is because of inadequacies in the system itself. The general view points the finger at successive management failures.

Keep plugging away!

Is the OP and petition creator reading? Do you have a comment?

It would be interesting to see if how many signatures would be on a petition for Tizen which Samsung as just released. They have many users, but how many would want to jump from Android?
    -- bump di bump ---

I signed a while ago, but thought it might be nice to do the "bump" now and then

-- and OT on a personal note:
    No, I don't think, WebOS is a marathon. To me it feels like a threadmill. In former days, there was a dynamo hooked to it, so we actually produced something of value. Nowadays the threadmill seems to be off the hook and running empty. Maybe LG can hook it to something again.
    So far my feeling about WebOS.
    -- /OT
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast