webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Upcoming & Rumored webOS Devices > Which smartphone do I need for WebOS
Which smartphone do I need for WebOS
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By YoeriN
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow

Old 10/11/2012, 07:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello,

In December I can pick a new smartphone from my provider (Vodafone). I use WebOS right know and want to continu using this beautiful software in de near future. But which smartphone do I have to pick?

I know that Open WebOS runs on the Galaxy Nexus. But is there maybe a newer phone that the community will support in the upcoming months?
YoeriN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2012, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

nothing new has been announced yet . But there is a hackathon going down soon that may be adding webOS to a new device . Read the front page of webOS nation , webOS Nation
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2012, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's hard to say. We won't know how well webOS could run on newer phones until they come out, and it would be at least half a year's of work to get webOS running well on a new phone, if not longer, depending on how open the phone is and how comprehensive the source code is.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2012, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoeriN View Post
Hello,

In December I can pick a new smartphone from my provider (Vodafone). I use WebOS right know and want to continu using this beautiful software in de near future. But which smartphone do I have to pick?

I know that Open WebOS runs on the Galaxy Nexus. But is there maybe a newer phone that the community will support in the upcoming months?
While nothing at this point is certain about other phones running WebOS (just like other members have said). I will suggest to place WebOS on the side for now, and buy other alternatives phones like Android or Windows operating systems if you like....At least those phone from competitors have a future when it comes to apps and (some of them) software support, more than we could say about WebOS.
Old 10/13/2012, 04:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

I agree. That's why I'm searching for a specific phone. It should run Android and WebOS once.

The point is that I miss nothing on WebOS right know. There is even a Whatsapp client now
Liked by renater likes this.
Old 10/15/2012, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

There is no safe bet yet, but if you go for an Android device, you should get one with an open bootloader. At least then there is a chance to get anything else on the Phone, that the OS that's already on it.
Old 10/16/2012, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

So an HTC One X could be an option on the long term?
Old 10/16/2012, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
So an HTC One X could be an option on the long term?
Personally I'm waiting for a Beta.

Why buy a phone and wish for it to get ported? As they say: wish in one hand, **** in the other and see which one fills up first....

If there is a Beta for a phone then it might be worth getting that model - otherwise it is all just a bunch of ****.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by eblade likes this.
Old 10/16/2012, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Personally I'm waiting for a Beta.

Why buy a phone and wish for it to get ported? As they say: wish in one hand, **** in the other and see which one fills up first....

If there is a Beta for a phone then it might be worth getting that model - otherwise it is all just a bunch of ****.
Remember how news outlets warned people against getting the TouchPad just so they could put Android on it?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 04:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

How long does it take before WebOS is working well on the Galaxy Nexus?
Old 10/25/2012, 06:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
How long does it take before WebOS is working well on the Galaxy Nexus?
At least, it has the chance of running. See, there are lots of mobile phones out there, but the Galaxy Nexus is among the extremely few that have enough support for developers to put a different operating system inside. Thanks mainly to the fact that its powered by a chipset that comes from a very helpful company. Other companies just want to support big corporations, and are totally open source unfriendly.

In summary, and if I'm not mistaken, the Galaxy Nexus is the only mobile phone where you'll see Open webOS running. Even recent webOS devices are made around chipsets from non supportive manufacturers.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2012, 05:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
At least, it has the chance of running. See, there are lots of mobile phones out there, but the Galaxy Nexus is among the extremely few that have enough support for developers to put a different operating system inside. Thanks mainly to the fact that its powered by a chipset that comes from a very helpful company. Other companies just want to support big corporations, and are totally open source unfriendly.

In summary, and if I'm not mistaken, the Galaxy Nexus is the only mobile phone where you'll see Open webOS running. Even recent webOS devices are made around chipsets from non supportive manufacturers.
Seeing Penk's progress on the Nook Color which basically uses the same generation chipset as the Pre 2, I think we'll see a Pre 2 port shortly as well. As for the other more recent devices with Qualcomm chipset, we'll have to wait and see.

I'm working on things, but since I have very little *nix and kernel compiling experience, it's a very steep learning curve to be honest and progress is extremely slow
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2012, 06:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
As for the other more recent devices with Qualcomm chipset, we'll have to wait and see.
Expect Qualcomm to laugh out VERY loud when any of us calls them for support. They asked my brother's company to buy a 9000 dollar evaluation board, although he just wanted to evaluate IF their chip would be of any use for a project. These Qualcomm guys expect everyone calling them to be a multibillion corporation.

Quote:
it's a very steep learning curve to be honest and progress is extremely slow
Every effort counts! That's why it's better to choose the easiest possible route: Texas Instruments' OMAP based devices, such as the Galaxy Nexus, which happens to be a decent phone. After all, this is about bringing a new baby to life, it's a very big task.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2012, 07:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
Expect Qualcomm to laugh out VERY loud when any of us calls them for support. They asked my brother's company to buy a 9000 dollar evaluation board, although he just wanted to evaluate IF their chip would be of any use for a project. These Qualcomm guys expect everyone calling them to be a multibillion corporation.

Every effort counts! That's why it's better to choose the easiest possible route: Texas Instruments' OMAP based devices, such as the Galaxy Nexus, which happens to be a decent phone. After all, this is about bringing a new baby to life, it's a very big task.
I know There seem to be quite some challenges for the Qualcomm based phones (see the Android CM for TP and the issues they still have after 1 year of development by qualified developers).

There is some hope though, but it all depends on resources and backwards compatibility of Open webOS with kernels < 3.3. There seem to be quite some drivers for the 3.0.x kernel available for most our devices.

I have a BNIB Pre 2 on it's way to me and I'll try and see if I can work together with Penk somehow to see if I can get Open webOS running on it.

I would expect it to be fairly straight forward seeing what he has already accomplished on the Nook Color and the similarities between the devices.

After this I will try to see if I can get some work done on the more recent legacy Qualcomm devices, but it won't be that easy I suspect
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2012, 11:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

well if LG & Open webOS works out you might be looking at getting a LG phone!
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2012, 09:52 AM   #16 (permalink)

Saw this story...does this make it a bit harder to put another operating system on a phone...at least from a legal standpoint...if it is on contract?

Jailbreak older phones may be allowed

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2012, 09:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

Sorry, double posting....it was an accident!

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Last edited by Rockbeast; 11/01/2012 at 09:40 AM.
Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2012, 01:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

Man, LG Nexus 4 is just an awesome device. I mean, webOS Ports have advanced much on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, but the LG's much better (and newer off course!).
I'm taking for granted that LG's Nexus have the same compatibility as Samsung's, right? And at $ 299 unlocked, say whut?! Yes! Almost the same price I paid for my precious Pre│.
ajguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 01:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajguns View Post
Man, LG Nexus 4 is just an awesome device. I mean, webOS Ports have advanced much on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, but the LG's much better (and newer off course!).
I'm taking for granted that LG's Nexus have the same compatibility as Samsung's, right? And at $ 299 unlocked, say whut?! Yes! Almost the same price I paid for my precious Pre│.
Does anywone know if this would happen? It makes me curious :-)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0