• 2 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  • 3 Post By etphoto
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  1.    #1  
    Hello all....letter below to Meg Whitman via HP's website:

HP Executive Team: CEO email

Dear Ms Whitman,

I am a longtime Palm user and found interesting your recent comments regarding an HP Phone. The irony to me is that HP already has one of the best smartphones and smartphone operating systems ever!

I am the proud owner of an HP Pre3. This was the phone that was never released to the public. I own two iPhones and I can attest to the fact that the user experience of the Apple products is not even close to that of my webOS phone. I have had 4G for a year while the iPhone only had 3G. I have used the Skype functionality on my Pre3 via 4G while the iPhone could only run it's Facetime via wifi. It's physical keyboard is much better for texting and email than the iPhone's virtual keyboard, making the Pre3 a better solution for enterprise users.

I also own an HP Touchpad, and while it lags behind the iPad, it was a noble first effort. Using these devices together I am able to transfer data between them, which is a feature that competitors are just now embracing. And the ease of charging via the wireless Touchstone chargers is unmatched by anyone!

My point is this; You already have what you need to produce a phone and a tablet and they already work better than 90% of what is on the market! And, with incremental improvements, webOS could flourish. HP made some serious fumbles when it came to it's webOS devices. I became convinced that they were intentionally trying to kill the Palm brand. Releasing the Veer before the Pre3 was egregious. The launch of the Touchpad was ABYSMAL! A kiosk that sat empty for weeks and then I had to beg a BestBuy employee to go to the back and open their shipment of Touchpads on release day in order to buy one! He tried his best to talk me out of it!

My question for you? Have you ever used the Pre3? It is my everyday phone and I love it. Could it be better? I'm sure. Could it have more apps? Definitely! Does it do 90% of what I need right now? YES! And it does those things exceedingly well. Email, texting, Skype, phone calls, an excellent backup service, unmatched contact management, it's all there and it's ready to go! All it needs is a champion! The most ironic part of my story??? I first embraced Palm back in the '90's because it was the only PDA that would interact with my Apple Mac!
    only a pity its not really her choice, there are bigger fish above her, who are the ones really running the show (hi ray lane and crew), this should have been somewhat apparant after numerous threads showing HP's cataclysmic fail pre/current/post leo apotheker.

i dont think it matters what she does, im not convinced she has any real power of her own, shes just a face for damage control imho, remember she was on the board during leo's corporate apocalypse/suicide, the real power lies above her tbh.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    There are a lot of cards left un-revealed in this game.

What is gr.am going to be doing?

What's up with Bender?

How tied to Window's mobile efforts has HP become through backroom dealings?

As much as those on this forum (with certain exceptions) would love HP to start back up where they left off under Hurd, I don't see that happening. Apotheker pretty much burned all the webOS hardware bridges. The HP Board of Directors won't want to rebuild on those charred ruins. It's easier to move forward and ignore that history.

Something is brewing at HP, but what exactly that will be is still just a guessing game. I guess they could do (another) about face in regards to webOS, but I sure wouldn't bet on it.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    xandros9 and creepingmee like this.
    You know what this is starting to shape up to be like... the very thing that killed Palm back then.

Anyone remember PalmOne and PalmSource?

Now HP Mobility and gr.am?
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    There are a lot of cards left un-revealed in this game.

What is gr.am going to be doing?

What's up with Bender?

How tied to Window's mobile efforts has HP become through backroom dealings?

As much as those on this forum (with certain exceptions) would love HP to start back up where they left off under Hurd, I don't see that happening. Apotheker pretty much burned all the webOS hardware bridges. The HP Board of Directors won't want to rebuild on those charred ruins. It's easier to move forward and ignore that history.

Something is brewing at HP, but what exactly that will be is still just a guessing game. I guess they could do (another) about face in regards to webOS, but I sure wouldn't bet on it.
    another irritation HP has is many of their Divisions seemingly dont interact with one another and seem seperate/distant, almost competative (hinted in another thread about internal HP disasters), if thats still going on it seems counter productive, it didnt work for commodore, it wont work for them in the long run.

a bad example would be 1 part of HP having some kickass/awesome innovation ongoing yet not wanting to spread that wealth/knowledge to...... well, themselves elsewhere within HP, an older post on webosnation demonstrated this not logn after meg took control and numerous threads from here or sourced elsewhere from ex-Palm/HP employees stating their facts and disbelief.

If their still running as before then it wont matter that we have the new Open Source webOS or new Enyo etc, if other parts of HP are doing other things and making their own descisions then they will just bypass open webOS and enyo etc all together, whcih is likely why we have gr.am sat wondering what their all about and what their going to do as yet another HP seperate entity.

again tho regarding tablets/smartphones im expecting way more (like everything) from the community devs and them doing their magic with other companies hardware, rather than HP doing it, or whatever ruins of HP remain.

id love to be wrong ofc, as it happens, im non too fussed while my current devices still work, ill be more nervous when they start to show signs of impending death.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I like the letter and thank you for sending it. I hope it reaches her desk. More should do the same thing.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Vistaus, laingman and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I like the letter and thank you for sending it. I hope it reaches her desk. More should do the same thing.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Agreed.

Thanks for sharing, very well written and makes valid points.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Good Letter. I would add to Meg and powers at HP: Nothing in HP's large portfolio of consumer and enterprise devices elicits passion like WebOS. In fact, arguably nothing in HP's portfolio elicits passion at all. All of your other devices are commodity, low margin devices that could be interchanged with products from Dell, Acer, Lenovo.
    You need to find somehow to keep webOS alive and developing. If you make phones yourself, allow the possibility of dualbooting into open WebOS.
    You only have "FauxG" to be exact which the 4S has as well. Also you can download the free skype app on the iPhone which works perfectly well over 3.5G speeds.
    I just wanted to clear that up to prevent spread of misinformation.
    Also the Verizon Pre3 would not be able to get "4G" at all
    Last edited by boovish; 09/18/2012 at 06:16 PM.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    Good Letter. I would add to Meg and powers at HP: Nothing in HP's large portfolio of consumer and enterprise devices elicits passion like WebOS. In fact, arguably nothing in HP's portfolio elicits passion at all. All of your other devices are commodity, low margin devices that could be interchanged with products from Dell, Acer, Lenovo.
    You need to find somehow to keep webOS alive and developing. If you make phones yourself, allow the possibility of dualbooting into open WebOS.
    Now on this point I could say that HP has some less commodity things that can elicit passion

hp-ux
    openvms

but these products are slowly being killed in favor of a port of functionalities to "sic" linux.
    And as now happened to webos , you should not forget how alpha and pa-risc got scrapped, too, alongside with the hp3000 series. And I could include Tru64 into the mix...
    To the OP: nice effort, it shows a lot of heart.

But knowing CEOs of various companies, I doubt, that Mrs. Whitman has the time to read all the mails she gets by herself. Those people are up to their necks in reports and numbers. They are NOT in the habit of caring too much for details.
    So the best we can hope for, when sending letters like these is, that they reach the right person which is in a position to steer the stream of information that reaches Mrs. Whitman. Because THOSE people, the ones behind the throne are in fact the most powerful. They decide what reaches her ears and what not.
    Sadly, most of those peoples have their own agenda and if WebOS doesn't fit into that agenda you can be sure, that Mrs. Whitman will never realize, that there are still a lot of fans out there who care for WebOS.

To put it in a bit "simplified" terms: all she sees is the numbers. She sees if the profit center in regard (be this i.e. the GBU or the Gram company) is returning positive numbers. That's all. By these numbers and the informations of the consultants, she plans a course of action. The board will then decide about that course.

So, good effort, but I personally would be interested on who's desk the letter actually lands.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...