Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    This is about why most Android handsets don't get the latest version of Android, but most of it shows the difficulty in getting ANY OS onto other handsets.

Why you'll never have the latest version of Android | Android Central
    Interesting read, but something I already knew. The last bit is what really applies to Open webOS; porting. And it won't be as easy as putting Jellybean on ICS hardware...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    theres no real incentive for carriers/device manufacturers to allow the newest and greatest OS upgrade onto their old phones anyways, theres no $$/ to be made from software upgrades, they want your cash for the latest hardware that happens to run what you want.

so why would they want it to be an easy upgrade, these days what we want is very rarely what we get.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    theres no real incentive for carriers/device manufacturers to allow the newest and greatest OS upgrade onto their old phones anyways, theres no $$/ to be made from software upgrades, they want your cash for the latest hardware that happens to run what you want.

so why would they want it to be an easy upgrade, these days what we want is very rarely what we get.
    There are two different things going on here, chip companies providing drivers, and handset/tablet makers supporting webOS. The real problem right now is that there are no drivers for Linux Kernel 3.3, so even handset makers would be stuck until they asked and worked with the component makers to get drivers released. Going forward, having driver support would mean we could get webOS on just about anything with driver support, so it all comes back to that. It isn't just old devices, it is NEW devices as well. With KERNEL support, Open webOS SHOULD be able to be built to run on many devices, and that is what has us stuck right now.

Basically, HP screwed us by going with Linux 3.3 kernels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    There are two different things going on here, chip companies providing drivers, and handset/tablet makers supporting webOS. The real problem right now is that there are no drivers for Linux Kernel 3.3, so even handset makers would be stuck until they asked and worked with the component makers to get drivers released. Going forward, having driver support would mean we could get webOS on just about anything with driver support, so it all comes back to that. It isn't just old devices, it is NEW devices as well. With KERNEL support, Open webOS SHOULD be able to be built to run on many devices, and that is what has us stuck right now.

Basically, HP screwed us by going with Linux 3.3 kernels.
    sorry, didnt mean my reply with regards to webOS, it was a mroe general reply to the info regarding what was in the article when they stated androids issues on upgrading their OS.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I'm in the 57.5% in the android 2.3 camp on my sprint Motorola Photon. I want to put ICS (now JB) on it but that requires unlocking the bootloader and that breaks 4g. Can't give up 4g no way (esp since Sprint 3G is crap). ICS was supposed to come in Q3 but now it's Q4... a full year after release... will never see JB on this phone.