Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
  1.    #1  
    Some of you might remember a couple of years ago, when we had a WebOS device design contest, amongs all of the excitement of what HP would produce right after the Palm acquisition.

I went right to work and designed the HD2 - a business class portrait slider, with a 3.8" diagnal display. The keyboard was a 5 row style, fully designed for real usability by today's on-the-go multitasker, as he/she would use this larger screen WebOS device to flick through 10 open cards to get from a calculator, to an open spreadsheet, then copy some of that into an email, while listening to some music while waiting for a flight at the airport. Solid in the hand, sharp and classy looking, with WebOS, this was my first, but, overall favorite formfactor and design.

Next, I thought of the meat of the users,.. teens and young adults.. some really wanted landscape hardware keyboards, and the ability to game, so, I went to work on designing the SuperPhone - a 3.8" diagnal screen with colored border and back finishes (red and blue shown below). The landscape keyboard is, once again, made for real use with that 5 row design, but, the really special thing about this design was that if you slide the screen the other way, you reveal a second display with a hardware button on each side of it, just teaming for gaming.. gone would be the days of the user having to put his fingers all over the small display to control the game.. now, that second screen is available for developers to design custom game controls, right on the screen for their game!

And, then, finally, most recently, I yielded to the most popular form factor: the slab phone design. Thinking this through, I knew that a large screen would be needed to really make the onscreen virtual keyboard usable, so, this wound up being 4.3" diagnal screen, with a standard WebOS gesture area below. The frame is hard clossy plastic or white enamelled aluminum. The back is a finely grained carbon fiber for a true "sure grip" experience, and, if you look closely, the back has an indented circular area to fit the conventional TouchStone charger for stability, since its so big. This is what I called the "webOS One".

I realize that there is no chance of these devices, or anything like these devices to come to fruition, now, unless HP has a huge change of heart. Maybe if they see this they might be inspired, but, on the other hand, I figure that they have had some really talented designers doing way more cool designs than these and still opted for the direction that have taken.. Im not holding my breath, but, being the dreamer I am, I figured I'd share these with the community here, so that we all might share a brief moment of "what might have been" for our beloved OS.

My Pre 3 died (fell off the TS right onto its screen and cracked completely the glass). I now have a Samsung Galaxy S 2. Nice hardware... pretty fast, great camera, Android really, really pales in comparison to WebOS. Even with Duarte's influence of late, its just second rate, and, multitasking is really not even close to WebOS, truly..

Shoulda, Coulda, woulda, HP...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LCGuy; 08/04/2012 at 12:35 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

That is some beautiful concept work. I'd buy into those models.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Rnp likes this.
    Every on of those "concepts" (in the attached photograph) is CRAP.
    Game over!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Mr. Hex;

I appreciate the time you took to comment, but, can you provide some additional insight as to why you feel that way?

As a designer, I'm always looking for ways to improve myself and my designs.

Thanks!

PS.. those aren't "photographs".. they were accurately modelled in 3D, textured, lit and rendered, all by me!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I appreciate the time you took to comment, but, can you provide some additional insight as to why you feel that way?

As a designer, I'm always looking for ways to improve myself and my designs.
    Oops... sorry... I'm a designer too.

But consider the Pre (and several other devices from Handspring, Palm, palmOne, palm... whatever), they were innovative... the proportions... the user experience... nothing to match these, purely from the "designer" point-of-view.

There were a few dogs too... the Treo Pro, for example.

Last edited by GreenHex; 08/04/2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Opps->Oops
    Game over!
    Rnp likes this.
    Great concept work LCGuy I'd have love to see any one of those come to reality.

@GreenHex... if you can do better, please do. Your comment was simply rude.
  7.    #7  
    Oops... sorry... I'm a designer too.

But consider the Pre (and several other devices from Handspring, Palm, palmOne, palm... whatever), they were innovative... the proportions... the user experience... nothing to match these, purely from the "designer" point-of-view.

There were a few dogs too... the Treo Pro, for example.

Mr. Hex;

I see... well, the whole point of my 3 designs was not to be innovative - it was to design devices that could be brought to market that would be on par or better in aesthetics and functionality as the current hardware, but, with the added advantage of WebOS to be the deciding factor for a consumer's purchase.

I didn't want to design something way out, or "innovative", but, rather, just get webOS onto some serious competitively powerful hardware, quickly. Innovative is very chancy, and requires a much longer development and proving time to market.. my devices could be produced very quickly and into the consumers hands withing 6 months.

Glad you are a "designer" as well! If you had any smartphone designs, post them so we can all see them!

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    @GreenHex... if you can do better, please do. Your comment was simply rude.
    Apologies to LCGuy if my comment came off as rude.

However, there are two things:

There is nothing wrong into "evaluating" designs (whatever the criteria; personal, business, social etc.). But it is wrong to ask the critic to do better; it is an unfair stand to take. Just like with movies and painting, the critic may have additional insights and viewpoints to provide.

Secondly, I recognize that Palm did require "mainstream" devices in its portfolio when it went with webOS. By "mainstream", I mean devices that did not "stand-out" and intimidate lay users.
    Game over!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    There is nothing wrong into "evaluating" designs (whatever the criteria; personal, business, social etc.). But it is wrong to ask the critic to do better; it is an unfair stand to take. Just like with movies and painting, the critic may have additional insights and viewpoints to provide.
    Sure, they're not really good enough to actually be sold, but it's clear that he put some thought and effort into his work (and he has some good ideas, by the way), and some actual criticism would be nice. I mean, if you're going to talk about insights and viewpoints, give the guy some freaking insights and viewpoints!
    The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
  10.    #10  

Secondly, I recognize that Palm did require "mainstream" devices in its portfolio when it went with webOS. By "mainstream", I mean devices that did not "stand-out" and intimidate lay users.
    Mr. Hex;

With a lifelong career as a "professional designer" I've been exposed to a world of critiques at every step of the road in the full history of my designing, from college all the way up to, and including your most recent comment on my work above (not paid or commissioned, this was voluntary and for art's sake). I have developed a pretty thick skin when it comes to people giving their opinions about my, or any artist's work - if you are truly a designer, then you will know, for fact, that the most vocal of critics are always the negative, and, even the best artists and designers have more than their share, so, it is no suprise to me that some who do not like what I have done will post as much, emphatically, while most others who may like or just feel "ok" about it, feel no compelling reason to respond in any regard. That's just how it works, and I accept that.

What I was asking for was "why" you felt that way about each solution. Your immediate response to that was that you felt that they were not "innovative". Now, Im not sure how that makes them "CRAP", then, so, perhaps you can explain further, because, if you read and truly comprehend my signature line below, you'll understand that I fully accept that it is what I don't know that is most important, and, exposing my work to others always gives me the opportunity to learn so much more by being given a view from somene else's point of view that I could never have concieved of, and that, Mr. Hex, can make me a better designer, not to mention, a much better person.

I further asked that if you have designs of your own, particularly in this genre, to post them, so that maybe i can learn from them, as well. Im not requesting this to critique your work, but, just to see if there is anything I can learn from it, and, as a side benefit, so that all vieing this thread can see, further, "What might have been"...

Last edited by LCGuy; 08/05/2012 at 07:13 AM.

i dont have to be a designer to know thats some impressive work regardless of what another designer thinks, phones/tablets arent made to appeal to designers afterall, their for normal folk like us

personally i like the above designs, their pretty good, im more a fan of your black/silver themed design, id definatly be interested to see if your able to come up with one closer to the pre3/pebble design, imho theres lots of slab type phones and while hard to re-invent the wheel its not often i see non-slab types (i was a fan of samsung clamshell types for a while quite some time ago).

also like that you dont seem to have left out the gesture area
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<

There absolutely is nothing wrong with evaluating designs. We all do it every day on many levels as we make our consumer choices...

However, the top statement in no way evaluates anything. For you to claim it is legitimate critique is backpedaling. I'm very experienced at providing critique and constructive criticism. A simple statement of like or dislike in no way qualifies as an evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    That is some beautiful concept work. I'd buy into those models.
    My first post here is similar (if from the opposite opinion) and I would NEVER claim it as an "evaluation" of the work. It is simply a declaration of how I feel. There is no why, there is no constructed argument of fact and opinion, no reasons are presented.

Please don't try and excuse your hastily written note of personal dislike as an "evaluation" because it isn't one. It's just a gut reaction. And that is fine and allowable. It simply wasn't very nice the way you presented it and you compound the error by trying to dress the statement up as something it isn't....
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    OK... I think we covered the bad comment. How about we take this back on track and discuss the OP's first post
    Impressive! The webOS One looks pretty awesome!
    "The best way to get something done is to begin" ~ Author Unknown
    Those are images of phone bodies that mimic whats already in the marketplace with WebOS logos on them. I guess these can be called designs.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Those are images of phone bodies that mimic whats already in the marketplace with WebOS logos on them. I guess these can be called designs.
    Hi;

Well, no, not really.

They were conceived of from scratch, in each of the popular form factors for smartphones: portrait slider, landscape slider and slab.

Although they are in those formfactors, there are none like each of them in the wild - read my post to understand how, as they each are different, hardware wise from thier market competition; in that regard, they stand out. They were designed to be better than those in their class, hardware-wise, and, then, add the real game changer onto them each: WebOS.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Not quite relavent, but this reminds me of the 'Superior HD' mockup. I thought it was quite ludricrously large at the time, but seeing how successful the galaxy note is...
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    as weve seen with the apple/samsung arguments, how many different ways can you make a rectangular slab touchscreen device and say it doesnt look like any other?.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Garrett92C likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Some of you might remember a couple of years ago, when we had a WebOS device design contest, amongs all of the excitement of what HP would produce right after the Palm acquisition.

I went right to work and designed the HD2 - a business class portrait slider, with a 3.8" diagnal display. The keyboard was a 5 row style, fully designed for real usability by today's on-the-go multitasker, as he/she would use this larger screen WebOS device to flick through 10 open cards to get from a calculator, to an open spreadsheet, then copy some of that into an email, while listening to some music while waiting for a flight at the airport. Solid in the hand, sharp and classy looking, with WebOS, this was my first, but, overall favorite formfactor and design.

Next, I thought of the meat of the users,.. teens and young adults.. some really wanted landscape hardware keyboards, and the ability to game, so, I went to work on designing the SuperPhone - a 3.8" diagnal screen with colored border and back finishes (red and blue shown below). The landscape keyboard is, once again, made for real use with that 5 row design, but, the really special thing about this design was that if you slide the screen the other way, you reveal a second display with a hardware button on each side of it, just teaming for gaming.. gone would be the days of the user having to put his fingers all over the small display to control the game.. now, that second screen is available for developers to design custom game controls, right on the screen for their game!

And, then, finally, most recently, I yielded to the most popular form factor: the slab phone design. Thinking this through, I knew that a large screen would be needed to really make the onscreen virtual keyboard usable, so, this wound up being 4.3" diagnal screen, with a standard WebOS gesture area below. The frame is hard clossy plastic or white enamelled aluminum. The back is a finely grained carbon fiber for a true "sure grip" experience, and, if you look closely, the back has an indented circular area to fit the conventional TouchStone charger for stability, since its so big. This is what I called the "webOS One".

I realize that there is no chance of these devices, or anything like these devices to come to fruition, now, unless HP has a huge change of heart. Maybe if they see this they might be inspired, but, on the other hand, I figure that they have had some really talented designers doing way more cool designs than these and still opted for the direction that have taken.. Im not holding my breath, but, being the dreamer I am, I figured I'd share these with the community here, so that we all might share a brief moment of "what might have been" for our beloved OS.

My Pre 3 died (fell off the TS right onto its screen and cracked completely the glass). I now have a Samsung Galaxy S 2. Nice hardware... pretty fast, great camera, Android really, really pales in comparison to WebOS. Even with Duarte's influence of late, its just second rate, and, multitasking is really not even close to WebOS, truly..

Shoulda, Coulda, woulda, HP...
    That looks pretty cool but i am not a fan of the ear piece area. It looks weird and I am one for clean aesthetic designs
  20.    #20  
    Just a bump for this thread to stay alive and give some hope for those who really are hoping LG can come through with a smartphone...

If I can dream up the above phones and design them, model them and render them, LG HAS to be able to at least look at the possibliities and throw a little money at it, too, I believe.

Still hoping - on Android now for almost a year, and I miss my WebOS tremendously!

Grabber5.0 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast