Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
  1.    #1  
    With our hardware moving on to the next stage, our plans move along with it. We have a phone that has taken me quite sometime to get just right. I received a lot of feedback about the device what people thought about the initial reference design. The initial reference platform has been thrown out completely and customized from the ground up. Alienlab was able to get everything we need to make one descent phone. We do not have the funding to create more than one device, but we have continued searching for other options without losing our vision for the platform.

Next up is our commitment with the software. We are still waiting to find out what's next with Open webOS. Luckily, we have been contacted by many people intimate with webOS in regards to making the perfect platform. The next wave of our funding I want to go to software development. I think there is a hole to fill in turning a device into more of an extension of utilities that connect than just a consumption medium. Most of the bigger companies involved with making great hardware, are now thinking about the greater impact of its software. Now that we have something we think people will like for hardware, its time to really feel the void of connected services on webOS.

<<edited by staff>> I stayed up for a few days writing down some ideas to maximize on the connectivity of webOS. On our reference platform we were able to keep the MHL port on the bottom of the phone, we upgraded the camera and shrunk the screen size and blew the resolution up. Since we can only make one phone, the MHL port has expanded my idea of what accessories can be sold after the device. "Eden" won't change for a year or two because, I believe the specs we have chosen will allow the device to remain relevant long after it hits the market. We even managed to cut the cost on the devices materials by using a smaller, slimmer chassis and screen.

There are a lot of developers who build apps for HP/Palm and I'm sure would like to see the platform evolve. I'm going to need every developer who has a vision for greater overall mobile utility to unify and help me make a product for business and personal alike. There are many great apps like GVoice, SmartOffice and even Preware that could evolve and unify at the system level. I don't think the App Store model will ever be as profitable for other companies as it has been for Apple. Instead, I would rather focus on creating new strengths for webOS to stand on.

Everything is right on schedule. Questions or Comments? Please don't hesitate. God bless.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/20/2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: 'crowd funding' note removed
    ShiftyAxel and boovish like this.
    Thank you

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    I'm sorry, where can we see the reference design? Or it's not being published yet?
    Are you talking about building a phone? Could you post more details on how you/your project plan to do this? Could you post the specs of the phone you're talking about?

----

What advantages would this have over getting a popular android phone on ebay and hacking open webOS on it in September? Should be a pretty easy port being that they now share the same kernel.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I have an idea on how to sell millions of this phone if it is real, people dont want or need webos in its current state as it has lots of catchup to do, eden is doomed to failure if it launches with webos 1.0 which we dont know anything about, I mean look at microsoft and nokia two huge companies with all their money and adverstising cant get enough marketshare because the apetite for a new platform just isnt there. what does wp7 and webos have to offer that ics and ios dont. webos can only compete if it has the apps and a feature set that is competitive enough. So my idea is this; u have to make your phone the best possible hardware for the money, design and specs should be comparable to the best 3 phones on the market (galaxy nexus, htc one x, 4s) then once u have that your whole focus should be on selling as many as you can to sustain your business and grow, but the only way to sell millions is by optimizing your phone for stock android and open webos, so its a choice for consumers who want stock android which we all want instead of crappy skinning, and open webos for developers, webosnation users and people who are bored from ios and android, that way your phone will no longer serve a niche audience and u will use android to grow bigger and bigger and then drop android support if u want and go big on webos, by the time u've sold so many devices u'll have enough talent to get webos up to snuff and developer interest will be higher than anyone. The final plan would be to buy webos with the whole patents and get hp out of the way completely, i know people want open source stuff but its not gonna compete if hp is behind it and maybe not open source it fully for anyone to use but for the community to add stuff and improve it. the control of the hardware and software are the only way to success.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I'm sorry, where can we see the reference design? Or it's not being published yet?
    The reference design is being worked into our new site. We started a few months ago with a reference platform built modeled after the Samsung Infuse. We really liked the features of the device and the price we were getting for the individual parts on wholesale. After sharing the devices specs and vision that we wanted to accomplish, we quickly began working with our contractors to start creating a new device. We wanted a faster GPU/CPU combo, the camera was absolutely terrible, and the processor we thought could be updated.

Fast forward to about a month ago. The initial reference design of the "Eden" played very well to the making of its latest prototype. The community asked that we make a smaller phone, with specs more intertwined with how today's mobile market is shaping. A single core processor, no support for 1080p video capture and 16GB of flash storage didn't really have the future of webOS in mind. Our CFO, Kevin F. who has been spending all of his time overseas, took time to make some special relationships with some of our hardware partners. We want to make the absolute best phone we can, and we only will get one shot.

Our Design will be on the Alienlab's website, along with many images and videos to go along with our journey. A majority of the profit gained from selling each device will go directly into more developer support for the hardware.

Now here comes the cool part. When redesigning "Eden" I personally wanted to have a physical shell that was remember-able. We were able to bring together a 4" high res display, 1GB of ram, 32GB/64GB of SSD, Pentaband Networking with 21mbps HSDPA+ up/ 12 down, and MHL. Our team worked closely with our manufactures to have this device ready for Quad-core computing before the end of August. We are excited to bring the world its first Carbon Fibre Open webOS phone.

We will be working closely with other developers to make webOS a more connected experience. I have been thinking of starting a Kickstarter project after I can show the planet our cool phone. My plan is to only gain enough funding for development support for Games and TTS. I'd like to make webOS its own platform with it's own unique features. I guess you would think of the OS as more of an "App" itself.
    zclash likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Are you talking about building a phone? Could you post more details on how you/your project plan to do this? Could you post the specs of the phone you're talking about?

----

What advantages would this have over getting a popular android phone on ebay and hacking open webOS on it in September? Should be a pretty easy port being that they now share the same kernel.
    The reason we have chosen to not use just any Android hardware is that we want a device that's truely different. I don't believe the consumption method for mobile is where its greatest utility lies. Making new webOS hardware was the best way to make something new, that doesn't have to "carry the weight" of its predecessors. The Original Palm Pre, I believe sort of ruined the company. The design of the phone was fresh, modern and new, but didn't have very good build quality and kind of tarnished the good name Palm had worked so hard to build. As far as I'm concerned, Palm made a name for itself on making a better solution for digital organization. The launch of the iPhone I think changed the entire direction of a very promising company. The just wanted to create more of a me-too device (In regard to hardware) than focusing on revolutionizing the mobile utility.

I guess you could say my method is a complete restructuring of how we use devices, with modern hardware.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    How many people do u have working with you??
    Chris,

After what happened last time when you posted fraudulent photos and videos of your alleged hardware, didn't we reach an agreement where you were going to spend "a little more time with the kernel" so that your alleged device would be able to boot, so you could then come back and prove to everyone that it really existed and was not a lie?

Didn't you at that time tell us that you only needed a few more weeks to fix the problems?

So then why is it that now, a few weeks later, you are conveniently sidestepping the issue of proving that you really have hardware in development or not by talking about software, and now are talking about raising money by crowdfunding?

Pardon me it this comes across the wrong way, but I am finding it very difficult to see this as anything other than a scam.

Please don't misunderstand me - I don't know you, and I am not trying to cast any aspersions on your character. But I have been involved in technology business for a long time and have seen my fair share of both vaporware and outright fraudulent schemes, and your approach is setting off all kinds of red flags and alarms:

The lack of any real physical proof of what you say you are doing

The defensiveness in your answers

The sidestepping of legitimate questions raised

The use of fraudulent proof when people refused to go along without seeing proof

The promise that all that is needed is a little more time to solve problem X, waiting for things to cool down for a bit, and then returning and talking about moving on with something else without having addressed problem X

Now the talk of raising money through crowd funding, i.e. ordinary people who aren't going to subject the project to the level of rigorous scrutiny that a professional investor would!

If you are really are trying to do what you say you are, and are not doing a long con, then you need to address our questions head on and provide the reasonable proof that the community has asked you for.

Again, please don't misunderstand my intentions here. I am not accusing you of any wrongdoing at this point. I am merely stating that your whole approach is failing the smell test in every possible way, and if you are really trying to do this and not trying to scam people you need to either prove your earlier claims were true or come clean about them, honestly show us where you actually are, and try and start anew.
    geeksquadkid, i2y4n and benklop like this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaled93 View Post
    I have an idea on how to sell millions of this phone if it is real, people dont want or need webos in its current state as it has lots of catchup to do, eden is doomed to failure if it launches with webos 1.0 which we dont know anything about, I mean look at microsoft and nokia two huge companies with all their money and adverstising cant get enough marketshare because the apetite for a new platform just isnt there. what does wp7 and webos have to offer that ics and ios dont. webos can only compete if it has the apps and a feature set that is competitive enough. So my idea is this; u have to make your phone the best possible hardware for the money, design and specs should be comparable to the best 3 phones on the market (galaxy nexus, htc one x, 4s) then once u have that your whole focus should be on selling as many as you can to sustain your business and grow, but the only way to sell millions is by optimizing your phone for stock android and open webos, so its a choice for consumers who want stock android which we all want instead of crappy skinning, and open webos for developers, webosnation users and people who are bored from ios and android, that way your phone will no longer serve a niche audience and u will use android to grow bigger and bigger and then drop android support if u want and go big on webos, by the time u've sold so many devices u'll have enough talent to get webos up to snuff and developer interest will be higher than anyone. The final plan would be to buy webos with the whole patents and get hp out of the way completely, i know people want open source stuff but its not gonna compete if hp is behind it and maybe not open source it fully for anyone to use but for the community to add stuff and improve it. the control of the hardware and software are the only way to success.
    I was told for $38-50 we would be able to ship "Eden" to any country besides the US and Canada (DHL). I also know the very first quantity of devices will be sold for around $450-500 brand new. Now keep in mind we are the first mobile company to think of ways to sell you a device cheaper. Most online surveys point to price as the number 1 reason to not have your device fly not the shelves. We came up with the ABSOLUTE INNOVATION of selling you a device in increments. In such, we would basically sell you "Eden" for 6 low monthly payments, or maybe even stretch it out to a year. By doing this, we have opened up an entire new market for new phones that can be sold for an affordable price. Also, we can piggyback on services like Paypal or Google Checkout to assist users in even easier payments.

I think everyone will agree, "Eden" is already the best phone on the market. Its based on the Exynos spec, so its faster than the GNex and the US HTC One X, and it's not a "giant" device. I'm going to need someone with a better vision for the marketing of the phone. I'd love to go all out.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Chris,

After what happened last time when you posted fraudulent photos and videos of your alleged hardware, didn't we reach an agreement where you were going to spend "a little more time with the kernel" so that your alleged device would be able to boot, so you could then come back and prove to everyone that it really existed and was not a lie?

Didn't you at that time tell us that you only needed a few more weeks to fix the problems?

So then why is it that now, a few weeks later, you are conveniently sidestepping the issue of proving that you really have hardware in development or not by talking about software, and now are talking about raising money by crowdfunding?

Pardon me it this comes across the wrong way, but I am finding it very difficult to see this as anything other than a scam.

Please don't misunderstand me - I don't know you, and I am not trying to cast any aspersions on your character. But I have been involved in technology business for a long time and have seen my fair share of both vaporware and outright fraudulent schemes, and your approach is setting off all kinds of red flags and alarms:

The use of fraudulent proof when people refused to go along without seeing proof

The promise that all that is needed is a little more time to solve problem X, waiting for things to cool down for a bit, and then returning and talking about moving on with something else without having addressed problem X

Now the talk of raising money through crowd funding, i.e. ordinary people who aren't going to subject the project to the level of rigorous scrutiny that a professional investor would!

If you are really are trying to do what you say you are, and are not doing a long con, then you need to address our questions head on and provide the reasonable proof that the community has asked you for.

Again, please don't misunderstand my intentions here. I am not accusing you of any wrongdoing at this point. I am merely stating that your whole approach is failing the smell test in every possible way, and if you are really trying to do this and not trying to scam people you need to either prove your earlier claims were true or come clean about them, honestly show us where you actually are, and try and start anew.
    Actually you are the entire reason we actually managed to get this far. Believe it or not, the phone spec is what was actually holding us back. The Hummingbird with Adreno we had to scrap, due to the lack of communication and development material between Samsung and our team. We needed to update our reference platform with something based on Open documentation. This has made it extremely easier for us to move forward with just the hardware alone. I don't have enough resources to remake the device for a third time.

1. This post, just like the one I created were about the software. So hopefully we can just stay on topic this time.

2. The only thing I need you to do, is help.

3. The videos I recorded were with my own personal camera and still linked to my own personal Dropbox account. Fraudulent is not only incorrect but it doesn't apply here.

4. If you don't run a technology company, its not surprising you don't understand about anything about how it would work. It's a gigantic effort on my behlaf to pull all the small things together that equal to the much larger whole.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Chris,

I've never asked anyone for anything other than their thoughts.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3illiams View Post
    I was told for $38-50 we would be able to ship "Eden" to any country besides the US and Canada (DHL). I also know the very first quantity of devices will be sold for around $450-500 brand new. Now keep in mind we are the first mobile company to think of ways to sell you a device cheaper. Most online surveys point to price as the number 1 reason to not have your device fly not the shelves. We came up with the ABSOLUTE INNOVATION of selling you a device in increments. In such, we would basically sell you "Eden" for 6 low monthly payments, or maybe even stretch it out to a year. By doing this, we have opened up an entire new market for new phones that can be sold for an affordable price. Also, we can piggyback on services like Paypal or Google Checkout to assist users in even easier payments.

I think everyone will agree, "Eden" is already the best phone on the market. Its based on the Exynos spec, so its faster than the GNex and the US HTC One X, and it's not a "giant" device. I'm going to need someone with a better vision for the marketing of the phone. I'd love to go all out.

Sounds like more side-stepping to me... chris3illiams we in webOS land are hankering for a revival of our beloved and under-rated platform... like marcedhk, I want to believe in your project and the vision it is built on ... but it is a little hard to believe it is little more than a pipe dream at this stage... are u representing a company / project team? Is there a website that spells out the finer details of Project Eden? Like a business plan / organisational structure / some sort of strategy / project milestones?

If you are looking at raising community funding, such things and more are key ..

Work mobes: Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo Pro > O2 Palm Pre- > Palm Pixi+ > Pre 2 > Pre 3
    Home mobes: Sony Ericsson K610 > Sony Ericsson W910 > iPhone 3GS > Verizon GSMed FrankenPre+ > HTC Desire HD > HTC Evo 3D > White HTC Sensation XE
    Tablet: HP TouchPad 32GB / ASUS TF101

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaled93 View Post
    How many people do u have working with you??
    I started with a team of about 13 and we've grown to 18.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dr3wster View Post
    Sounds like more side-stepping to me... chris3illiams we in webOS land are hankering for a revival of our beloved and under-rated platform... like marcedhk, I want to believe in your project and the vision it is built on ... but it is a little hard to believe it is little more than a pipe dream at this stage... are u representing a company / project team? Is there a website that spells out the finer details of Project Eden? Like a business plan / organisational structure / some sort of strategy / project milestones?

If you are looking at raising community funding, such things and more are key ..
    I'm looking for community ideas in regards to funding. We will cross that bridge when we get to it.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by toanedre View Post
    Hmm. By "ABSOLUTE INNOVATION" it sounds like you have stumbled up on a way to extend unsecured credit to all of your buyers. You will deliver a $500 smartphone and your buyers will pay you in increments. That's called unsecured credit. It means that, if for whatever reason, your buyers stop paying you, there absolutely no way to collect what is owed. What are you going to do? Go to small claims court for $500? Get on a plane to go get your used phone back?

Seriously, you sound like you have no business experience at all. This is a basic concept that anyone who has transactions with customers understands. That's what the entire credit card industry and consumer banking system is built on - extending credit to people who want to buy something and pay it back over time. If sellers could do this on their own, we wouldn't need MasterCard or Visa, would we?
    You start by not being sure if we will offer secured methods of payment, and then you end making an obvious conclusion to irresponsible purchase. I'm not sure if your trolling or really that hopeless.

The point would be the option to buy the phone you want and not worry about the plan. It switches the focus from the consumeration of the carrier and billing to just the devices itself. This completely changes the paradigm on which devices are even sold.

Leave business alone Brittany.
    Last edited by chris3illiams; 04/20/2012 at 09:02 AM.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Do you have any job openings?? and can u tell us the names of employees even just the managment team so we can confirm from them.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by toanedre View Post
    The term you are looking for is venture capital and you don't just "cross that bridge when you get to it."
    No, the term I'm looking for is not Venture Capital. Venture Capitalist aren't the enablers of the future. Like I said, if you don't make Whoppers stop filling out positions for line cook.
    Last edited by chris3illiams; 04/20/2012 at 09:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3illiams View Post
    Actually you are the entire reason we actually managed to get this far. Believe it or not, the phone spec is what was actually holding us back. The Hummingbird with Adreno we had to scrap, due to the lack of communication and development material between Samsung and our team. We needed to update our reference platform with something based on Open documentation. This has made it extremely easier for us to move forward with just the hardware alone. I don't have enough resources to remake the device for a third time.

1. This post, just like the one I created were about the software. So hopefully we can just stay on topic this time.

2. The only thing I need you to do, is help.

3. The videos I recorded were with my own personal camera and still linked to my own personal Dropbox account. Fraudulent is not only incorrect but it doesn't apply here.

4. If you don't run a technology company, its not surprising you don't understand about anything about how it would work. It's a gigantic effort on my behlaf to pull all the small things together that equal to the much larger whole.
    1) If you decide to not answer direct questions, or post incredibly rude comments we have to clean up like your last thread - this thread will last about as long as an icecream cone in a hot fat kid's hand.

2) Only thing we need this time is honesty and direct answers to even basic questions

3) I think the description was pretty accurate considering the last thread.

4) Don't even know what to say to that one except the word "ironic". Remember: if someone / many people keep prodding for a direct answer, it would be of benefit to all to give one instead of trying to double-talk or get defensive. We will keep this thread open for discussion, but the doors will slam shut if it turns into one like the previous thread.

<this endeth the staff note>
    Cantaffordit and bevcraw like this.
    As before, in response to your claims this community is requesting proof of their veracity. If you can supply that, great. If you can't, my recommendation (and the best course of action for a business standpoint) is to not talk about it in the first place.

That's my two cents on the matter. After the last bout, I can assure you that many who followed your claims before are looking at this with very skeptical eyes, myself included.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast