Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By p41m3r
  • 1 Post By Vistaus
  • 4 Post By fxspec06
  • 2 Post By fxspec06
  • 2 Post By chejlava
  1.    #1  
    So Nokia & Microsoft have entered the smartphone fray with the Lumia 900 at $100 ($50 on Amazon) with an international launch complete with concerts, etc. Plenty of reviewers say it's one of the best smartphones out there with exceptional hardware. What's more, they are offering a $100 rebate because of the software glitch making this a free phone for anyone who wants to sign up over the next several weeks.

One has to wonder whether the mythical HP slab phone, Pre 4 or whatever would have been able to compete with a free Lumia 900 running Windows Phone. If not, then all HP could have aspired to would be 4th place in the smartphone platform wars.
    Quote Originally Posted by toanedre View Post
    One has to wonder whether the mythical HP slab phone, Pre 4 or whatever would have been able to compete with a free Lumia 900 running Windows Phone.
    Since the Pre3 is already 'competing' w/ it on the hardware front (LTE notwithstanding), one has to think that any successor to the Pre3 would have had much beefier hardware than the current 1.4GHz/512MB/16GB/HSDPA/3.6"... Such a device would not have been free, but the Lumia, as it is now, would have been outclassed by this flagship. Different class, no direct competition. Palm would have had to come up w/ a Pixi or Veer successor to take on the Lumia.

The question of competition would be best centered on the OS and supporting infrastructure. Its a tough call to make, and one that has been argued ad nauseum.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Indeed p41m3r. Also, the TS is a bit biased as he's only talking about the US-market. Dude, there is more in the world then only the US. In other countries, you don't get off that cheap with the Lumia 900.
    lavo96 likes this.
    Was she right about what? What was the question again? Meg hasn't done or said anything of or pertaining to the smartphone market.

Leo pulled the plug on anything and everything. AFAIC, Meg could release a webOS phone or phones in September or next year. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Was she right about what? What was the question again? Meg hasn't done or said anything of or pertaining to the smartphone market.

Leo pulled the plug on anything and everything. AFAIC, Meg could release a webOS phone or phones in September or next year. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility.
    Well, Meg said something along this line to the Verge back in December:

“In the near term what I would imagine – and this could change, in full disclosure – is I would think tablets, I do not believe we will be in the smartphone business again,”

So no it's not ruled out entirely, but it doesn't look promising either. But things can change in 4 months time
    Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    Well, Meg said something along this line to the Verge back in December:

“In the near term what I would imagine – and this could change, in full disclosure – is I would think tablets, I do not believe we will be in the smartphone business again,”

So no it's not ruled out entirely, but it doesn't look promising either. But things can change in 4 months time
    i would like you to provide examples of times in history when companies have actually done what they said they would

also, here is the amount of space you have to write:
    |-----------------------------

-----------------------------|
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

renater and mafu6 like this.
    i would like you to provide examples of times in history when companies have actually done what they said they would

LOL too much space
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think this would indicate to HP that if they want to within shouting distance of fifth they would need to throw hundreds of millions into the effort and then still not be certain of success. I would give Nokia their due, the lumia 800 is now almost six months old and they are still throwing a lot of marketing cash at it, developing good apps and providing prompt updates to fix problems.

Even if they and RIM do (eventually) go down, their thrashing around to stay relevant sector is going to make it difficult for another OS to get much attention.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Last edited by CGK; 04/14/2012 at 06:02 PM.
    RIM won't go down as Microsoft is talking with RIM executive to buy RIM.

And maybe in the UK is Nokia still throwing the 800 ads, in The Netherlands they have slowed it down now and they're slowly moving to the 900 ads. The 800 sold well here, but in other countries like Belgium for example, it didn't.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    RIM won't go down as Microsoft is talking with RIM executive to buy RIM.

And maybe in the UK is Nokia still throwing the 800 ads, in The Netherlands they have slowed it down now and they're slowly moving to the 900 ads. The 800 sold well here, but in other countries like Belgium for example, it didn't.
    I'm yet to see a Lumia 800 (or 900) in the wild here in Perth (Aus). I've seen a few N9s - I use one too - but I'd have to sale sales of the Lumia range have been lacklustre at best.

A big issue that I think sways people here to buy iPhones is the apps coming out from local companies that are iPhone only (or maybe an Android version coming out soon). Banks are a great example.....there is even an app for Carlton Draught beer that is iPhone only. Any player outside of Apple and the Google consortium will find it hard to get a foothold in markets such as this one here in Australia without hitting the ground running. At full speed!
    I think what really killed WebOs was the lack of apps. If they could have gotten more developers on board somehow( maybe even buy them like MS is doing for wp) that could have kept them around at least a little longer
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    what killed webOS was not one thing, it was a lot of things.

1. Poor quality hardware at launch, really turned people and carriers away from wanting/pushing webOS devices.

2. Sprint exclusive launch in the US.

3. Palm/HP's Inability to get key developers interested in webOS

4. WORST MARKETING EVER. Seriously, the worst I have ever seen for a cell phone.

5. Lack of money. (Pre HP buyout)

All those plus many more are pretty much why webOS failed. Too bad really, it would be so nice if it was iOS / webOS instead of iOS / Android. Imagine webOS after 3 years if they had the marketshare that Android has now.
    1 Palm didn't had the money to bring something better.
    2 Palm didn't had the money to push it to more carriers.
    3 True to some extent.
    4 I've seen worse, but they could've marketed it somewhat better.
    5 Yup.

But there's one your forgetting: for Palm I understand point 2, but HP really ****ed it up by only launching the TP and Pre 3 in select countries. They should've entered in more countries. For example, here in The Netherlands. Yes, The Netherlands is quite small for a market, but it would amaze you how many people here are interested in tablets. Even carrier shops are full of tablets demos here.
    I can imagine there are more countries where the same applies.
    So for Palm I understand the point (they launched the original Pre here exactly one year after date! with no commercials at all), but HP had the money to launch it in more countries. They should've done that. Maybe it still would've failed to some extent, but at least more people would've known about the existence that way.

Actually, from the "inside", Meg is still doing pretty good: All of the things she's told us and stated publicly have occurred more or less on-time. That of course doesn't mean that we won't be thrown under a bus next week (or month or year) but so far is OK.

Note: I was not originally expecting much from her - I don't like her politics - but as CEO she's been as open and honest with us as any I've worked for. Considering that Palm originally made up about 1/3% of HP's workforce (at the time), just the 2 face-to-face meetings we had here in Sunnyvale were impressive.

edc
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent Hewlett-Packard or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own warped point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP and Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by chejlava View Post
    Actually, from the "inside", Meg is still doing pretty good: All of the things she's told us and stated publicly have occurred more or less on-time. ...
    Exactly. And now they have announced new Pads ... albeit with Windows OS, but Pads as she promised.

Turns out, that while they do the things we are waiting for, they do it in a way that don't help us much.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Exactly. And now they have announced new Pads ... albeit with Windows OS, but Pads as she promised.

Turns out, that while they do the things we are waiting for, they do it in a way that don't help us much.
    there have always been windows based tablets - there is currently a windows 7 based slate out there now..but its not a consumer based device, and I should think the windows 8 ones will be initially targeted at the corporate environments anyway as that is HP's bread and butter.

Ive said this in other threads, I wouldn't be betting anything on the first openwebos hardware having an HP badge on it.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3