Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By gbp
  • 1 Post By gbp
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  • 2 Post By don_falcone
  1. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #2  
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHDE_7iIAs[/YT]
  2. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #3  
    Apparently the person behind this Meego effort was this woman who wants a cheaper but feature rich phone for people who cannot afford the expensive phones.
  3. #4  
    Nokia is still in the smartphone market, and HP said they were getting out of it completely.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  4. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #5  
    <quote deleted>

    I am 100% positive that Veer will be a smash hit in Emerging markets. I sent few to friends in India. I am being asked to buy more ( though its firesale price).
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/28/2012 at 01:45 PM.
    Vistaus likes this.
  5. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Nokia is still in the smartphone market, and HP said they were getting out of it completely.
    I know, pretty dumb decision.
    Last edited by gbp; 03/28/2012 at 01:51 PM.
  6. #7  
    Great value for the price. Where else can you get a 4G phone for ~$100?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  7. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Great value for the price. Where else can you get a 4G phone for ~$100?
    If they can sell the Veer for $ 250.00 unlocked with warranty (probably asking too much here) they probably break even, but it paves way for building webOS eco system. There are close to 2.5 billions customers out there in Emerging markets. Most of the time these folks pay full price on their phone. They also take care of the phone well. No crackings , no broken screens.
    Vistaus likes this.
  8. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #9  
    You'd need another CEO to come in first - HP are a write-off for this cycle of mobility (however long it actually lasts).
  9. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    If they can sell the Veer for $ 250.00 unlocked with warranty (probably asking too much here) they probably break even, but it paves way for building webOS eco system. There are close to 2.5 billions customers out there in Emerging markets. Most of the time these folks pay full price on their phone. They also take care of the phone well. No crackings , no broken screens.
    Based on current eBay prices, I doubt they would be able to ask that much, along with the TTS/2.2.x update fiasco, but you never know.

    Maybe with an extra cord, a Touchstone and an extra headset adapter.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Vistaus likes this.
  10. #11  
    It's with _very_ high probability not MeeGo in its pure or API-compatible (MeeGo Harmattan) sense, but Meltemi instead. Which would stand in line with all the other wind-named projects, and so would inherit more Maemo than MeeGo genes - just like Harmattan. Btw TFA was updated to reflect this.
    As Meltemi will include Qt as the framework/widget stack (and strong indicators that N9's SwipeUI will live on), it will be more prized than anything else available or planned. No webapp stuff here, but feature-rich C++ and QML for the easy stuff - a bliss.
    Last edited by don_falcone; 03/28/2012 at 02:43 PM.
    "On ComScore's smartphone market share chart, Nokia's Symbian comes in dead last at 0.5% of the market. Somewhere below that are a few holdout open-source WebOS users who just can't let their dream go." -- Jason Notte // thestreet
    lavo96 and gbp like this.
  11. vimak's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #12  
    I thought MeeGo project was dead since Intel stopped any further development on it and moved on Tizen?
  12. MINKIN2's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
    It's with _very_ high probability not MeeGo in its pure or API-compatible (MeeGo Harmattan) sense, but Meltemi instead. Which would stand in line with all the other wind-named projects, and so would inherit more Maemo than MeeGo genes - just like Harmattan. Btw TFA was updated to reflect this.
    As Meltemi will include Qt as the framework/widget stack (and strong indicators that N9's SwipeUI will live on), it will be more prized than anything else available or planned. No webapp stuff here, but feature-rich C++ and QML for the easy stuff - a bliss.
    I couldn't have put it better myself. Nice to see another TMO member here too
  13. #14  
    This isn't really anything new. Marko Ahtisaari, head of design at Nokia, already hinted at upcoming Meltemi devices when the Nokia N9 was still fresh and the move to Windows Phone with Lumia just behind: (skip to about 29:05). I highly recommend watching the whole video, it really opens up a new perspective when thinking user interaction and user interfaces in smartphones.
  14. #15  
    To me Nokia has lost the race. It does not matter what they introduce now.

Posting Permissions