View Poll Results: Are you willing to help us?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • WebOS is the future and I can't wait.

137 93.84%
  • I'd rather stick to Android/iOS

9 6.16%
Page 1 of 19 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree258Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have awesome news community of webOS users. My name is Christopher Williams, and I have created a webOS device from the reference design of the Samsung Infuse 4G. My company, wants to take webOS and add everything missing from the fantastic OS it started as. This phone would be 4.5" SAMOLED, 1.2GHZ Hummingbird, and 8MP camera. I have made a few prototypes and also a laptop is on the way as well. WebOS is the best thing to ever happen to the mobile phone industry and we plan to create some exciting hardware to go with it, while adding functionality to the core. We want to ask every user in the WebOS community what they want in this amazing new journey.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/30/2012 at 09:19 AM.
    matchqq, kataran, pgarcia and 13 others like this.
    Wait it's not yet April 1
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Well there are some classic names being wasted. Palm is the best name for an handheld device, pilot, treo, centro. Just saying.

My wish list; a slab as you mentioned, one each pre2 and pre3 sized sliders (in smaller quantities) with virtual and physical keyboards with gesture area and touchstones of course.
    Last edited by laingman; 03/17/2012 at 06:08 AM.
  4.    #4  
    We have been working to make the perfect reference device. There are no physical buttons, but a nice big 4.5 inch display and an MHL port. We thought that would be the best usage for a bar style phone. We are making a list of features to add to the core of WebOS such as:

Wireless Device Mirroring
    Predictive Test
    Voice Assistant (wolfram alpha)
    Fast Keyboard Language Switching
    Wireless Syncing
    Camera flash notifications
    Use as controller for games
    Make something cool like Airplay
    Navigation Program
    unify messaging
    Native Tether
    Native Transcoder "Code on the fly"
    Native MKV, M2TS, TS support
    Flac support
    Bitmap and Raw Image support
    IRC
    Camera on lockscreen
    screen capture
    Connected Devices (DLNA)
    Devices and Printers
    Robust File Manager
    Add Spotify
    text and email shortcuts
    Window Snap and Drag-to Aero feature (tablet)
    slide camera to the right for built in gallery
    slide right for camcorder
    Set program defaults
    Wallpaper Switcher
    Hold search for voice..
    Add Panorama to camera
    Automatically download purchases option
    Energy Saving Mode
    Remind for Later
    Swipe down on home for downloads
    Advanced Reset Options
    swipe broswer down to dupiclate windows
    Always Show Previous and Next Buttons
    Previous and Next buttons for email
    No video Pause on minimize
    Non throttling downloads

This is the most exciting time in my human life.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Well that's an impressive list. Can I suggest that I would like an option to choose where new cards open. Instead of always to the right of the one in focus. +1 for the no video pause on minimize/ screen change, it doesn't seem to work too good on the latest versions of webos. Also flash in the browser pauses on screen change is very annoying if listening to audio, one cant do anything else.
    Equalizer for music player
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3illiams View Post
    . We want to ask every user in the WebOS community what they want in this amazing new journey.
    Proof. No photoshop images. No spec sheets pulled out of a hat.

Working.
    Video.
    PROOF.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    -native support for all the languages
    above all it should be world ready phone ..no US/EU version..
    and yes pl show the working video....
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
    Wait, Christopher Williams? This Christopher Williams:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christo...lliams_(singer) ?? The guy who used to sing "Promises, Promises"?
    I have awesome news community of webOS users. My name is Christopher Williams, and I have created a webOS device from the reference design of the Samsung Infuse 4G. My company, wants to take webOS and add everything missing from the fantastic OS it started as. This phone would be 4.5" SAMOLED, 1.2GHZ Hummingbird, and 8MP camera. I have made a few prototypes and also a laptop is on the way as well. WebOS is the best thing to ever happen to the mobile phone industry and we plan to create some exciting hardware to go with it, while adding functionality to the core. We want to ask every user in the WebOS community what they want in this amazing new journey.
    Christopher, I hope you understand why people on here are skeptical. You're saying that within 6 months (the time from which HP announced the cancellation of webOS), without the benefit of source code from HP, without a clear indication of what would happen with webOS and therefore what your business model would look like (it was only in December that the open source initiative was announced), you were able to secure the resources, organize a team, and design and produce a working webOS reference device? Is it impossible? No. But it seems highly unlikely that a person who COULD do that WOULD HAVE DONE THAT. It seems more likely that someone spent a few hours using Photoshop.

Of course we could be wrong, but until you provide stronger evidence to back up your statement (a simple grainy YouTube video showing the device in operation, even if not all the functions work would go a long way), I don't think the people on here that could really make a valuable contribution towards bringing your device to the market will pay much attention.
    paulbartlett likes this.
    I believe him, he said laptop instead of tablet which would be the logical thing to say.

Reminds me of the early days how much grief the guy said need for speed was possible on webOS. Even if he posted a video not much would change.

A 4.5" phone is not for me though, and does it have gesture area? Touchstone? If not its not really webOS to me.
    VasTheGreek and domicius like this.
    By the way, when it come to the screen size issue, I am with Ruby. I want my phone to be good for the things I do the most: phone calls, emails, messaging, music. I don't want to carry around a giant phone just in case I need to watch a movie or do heavy web browsing. Pre2 or a little bigger is good enough for me.
    domicius likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Proof. No photoshop images. No spec sheets pulled out of a hat.

Working.
    Video.
    PROOF.
    The reference design is based on real working phone, which is the Samsung Infuse. We felt that the spec sheet: 4.5" SAMOLED, Hummingbird at 1.2GHZ, 8mp LED with Flash, HSDPA+ 21MBS, and 16GB rom and MHL was a great affordable starting point for most consumers. Our main objective with our first couple of prototype devices, was to shave down the 9.9mm chassis. We gave it a nice Stainless Steel and Carbon Fiber body and we really think its an awesome phone.

I assumed 4.5 would be the best single option for everyone. Not too big, not too small and enough contact on the surface for great looking videos and games. Getting the devices hardware right and our vision for the OS is our main priority at the moment.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    By the way, when it come to the screen size issue, I am with Ruby. I want my phone to be good for the things I do the most: phone calls, emails, messaging, music. I don't want to carry around a giant phone just in case I need to watch a movie or do heavy web browsing. Pre2 or a little bigger is good enough for me.
    Also keep in mind, of the 4.5 inch device only about 4.17-4.27 is actually usable. 4.5 inches was chosen based on the utility of the entire environment. Iaingman I agree with you, the usability and user focus of the software will be our achievement.
    Vistaus likes this.
    The reference design is based on real working phone, which is the Samsung Infuse. We felt that the spec sheet: 4.5" SAMOLED, Hummingbird at 1.2GHZ, 8mp LED with Flash, HSDPA+ 21MBS, and 16GB rom and MHL was a great affordable starting point for most consumers. Our main objective with our first couple of prototype devices, was to shave down the 9.9mm chassis. We gave it a nice Stainless Steel and Carbon Fiber body and we really think its an awesome phone.

I assumed 4.5 would be the best single option for everyone. Not too big, not too small and enough contact on the surface for great looking videos and games. Getting the devices hardware right and our vision for the OS is our main priority at the moment.
    Got few questions:

1/ How is your company called?
    2/ FCC certifications?
    3/Are you in touch with HP/openwebOS Team?
    4/Do you have a roadmap? When are you planning to release it?
    5/ VIDEO :-)
    jdlashley likes this.
    So then, if I'm understanding correctly, what you've done so far is really a design mockup, not an actual working device which is running webOS? I think most of us thought you were claiming to have actually created a working device..
    jdlashley and china shiguofu like this.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Samsung's lawyers are going to love that you have openly admitted using their design for reference.

I am with sledge, this is a wind-up, even if it was real that admission would make the phone impossible to sell as it would to legal action as soon as it saw the light of day.
    i hope this is something real....n i do wish u all the very best n luck in ur grand endeavor ..
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Samsung's lawyers are going to love that you have openly admitted using their design for reference.

I am with sledge, this is a wind-up, even if it was real that admission would make the phone impossible to sell as it would to legal action as soon as it saw the light of day.
    Samsung Lawyers are happy to know we use their Soc's. We have a licensing agreement for not only the display tech but for the Soc's too. We are the 1 of the only American computer manufactures.
    jdlashley, tbc, Vistaus and 1 others like this.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    So then, if I'm understanding correctly, what you've done so far is really a design mockup, not an actual working device which is running webOS? I think most of us thought you were claiming to have actually created a working device..
    We have moved passed the "mock-up" stage. Currently, our engineers are getting WebOS working on the Hummingbird with Adreno combo BEFORE the Open WebOS roadmap is complete. We want to get a major jump on the system to catch up to our own expectations. Thanks so much for the support guys. We have seen Windows 8 and Mac OSX and are trying to bring a substantial third option for real people with great hardware/software.
Page 1 of 19 12345611 ... LastLast