View Poll Results: Are you willing to help us?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • WebOS is the future and I can't wait.

    137 93.84%
  • I'd rather stick to Android/iOS

    9 6.16%
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 378
Like Tree258Likes
  1. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #161  
    It is run by someone called Arnold Pena and that's about the information there is - the contact address is a gmail one - it doesn't strike me as if they are players.
  2. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Guys, it's not so difficult to request someone else to manufacture a phone. At all. In fact, if you pick a reference device, it's easy.

    I'm not saying he's doing it, I only say it's not difficult, you only need money.
    I'm doubtful that someone doing PC repairs via a facebook page has access to that sort of cash.
    Last edited by CGK; 03/20/2012 at 12:22 PM.
  3. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #163  
    And for those hoping to hack WebOS onto an android device but like wireless charging...

    http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...eless-charging
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    The only company in the world that could manage getting a market ready open webOS device out by September is HP, or a very experienced hardware manufacturer that is working very closely with them, and "having the blessing" of HP is not quite the same thing as that.
    You know what, after thinking a bit more I'm going to have to walk this statement back a little. If you were given reference design info from HP detailing the hardware that open webOS is being developed and tested on/for, then I suppose you could get a device out there in September, though I would still wonder how refined a device it would be. Let's not forget that the TouchPad hardware design was allegedly set in stone long before the software was ready, and as we can testify it took a couple month's of fine tuning before the performance reached a level most of us were happy with.
  5. #165  
    Guys, for all we know could be there even after Dell ... I would say that money can be found if you want. Then he said that there's a bigger company behind it, so... could be also Dell!!!
    webOS Italia Community Manager

    User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I'm doubtful that someone doing PC repairs via a facebook page has access to that sort of cash.
    Not too much cash is needed (relatively). I know about taiwanese companies that ship you finished product for relatively small orders, and the bigger the orders, the smaller the prices.

    But, frankly, this doesn't seem the case. Well, we'll only have to wait.

    (P.S. Maybe I get a score from mods, but that back cover doesn't look like a p*ssy?)
    Newness Developments apps:

  7. #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    If that was all he was saying he was doing, I would agree. But he's talking about doing a lot of modifications - did you read the laundry list of features, and creating a device that is going to run an operating system which has not even been completely written yet, and won't be in beta until August. The only company in the world that could manage getting a market ready open webOS device out by September is HP, or a very experienced hardware manufacturer that is working very closely with them, and "having the blessing" of HP is not quite the same thing as that. Putting out a product anything close to what Chris is talking about will take money and time.
    Bah, they do it, if you put an order. Manufacturers will put a price, and if you're ok, will do it.

    Timing and financing is another beast.
    Newness Developments apps:

  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    You know what, after thinking a bit more I'm going to have to walk this statement back a little. If you were given reference design info from HP detailing the hardware that open webOS is being developed and tested on/for, then I suppose you could get a device out there in September, though I would still wonder how refined a device it would be. Let's not forget that the TouchPad hardware design was allegedly set in stone long before the software was ready, and as we can testify it took a couple month's of fine tuning before the performance reached a level most of us were happy with.
    I think that since HP has publically stated that they are not in the phone business anymore, and that they are no longer manufacturing pre3's, it can be assumed that there is no reference design.
    Pre 3 & TouchPad. Flying in the face of the jesusPhone!
  9.    #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I just want to say first off I was on sprint for 12 yrs, just leaving them last month to AT&T. Though Sprint to me IMO a good company, cheap, and with plans like unlimited data has the other companys beat, it does lack in a specific area WEBOS. I have pleaded like the rest of you with sprint about picking up the Pre2, then the Veer, then the Pre3 and ultimatly it came down to Sprint not wanting to deal with Webos anymore.

    Even Verizon who did nothing to market the Pre plus picked up the Pre2, and advertised, and as we all know was picking up the HP Pre 3..Sprint even stopped supporting WIndows phone 7 the arrive (which I owned and thought was a very good phone) to keep focusing on more bad deals like the billions up front for a Apple Product that is on its way down from the top spot. The reason why Dan Hansen is in the hot seat, about his bad practices (google it).

    So to me people on here backing sprint regarding webos is wrong in doing so, because sprint has not been loyal to us in that respect. Also if Webos is going to be open source why cant the OP be serious about his company making a device running webos, regardless if all the open source tools are available yet? If hes false or not, lets give him the benefit of the doubt atleast, because at this point we need any major or small company to go ahead and assist our community in making whatever device they feel may help make Webos relevant again.

    Another thing yes WCDMA is the biggest currently, but most companys and countrys are GSM, as well as its much easier to make devices running such technology. To me the only feasable approach is to make a Device runnning GSM unlocked so that more people can get their hands on it, without going through such carrier woos like some of us has (sprint). So to the OP please keep us informed on your progress, because there are some of us that are very curious on what you manifest in the months to come. As well as I have reached out to HP in sponsering Webos through our Record label, and I would like to reach out to you and offer the same courtesy, if and when you get a webos device up and running and for sale. GOOD LUCK
    We believe we have a killer device (with more to come) and a good goal towards moving the platform forward. I'll be sure not to let you down.
  10.    #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Not too much cash is needed (relatively). I know about taiwanese companies that ship you finished product for relatively small orders, and the bigger the orders, the smaller the prices.

    But, frankly, this doesn't seem the case. Well, we'll only have to wait.

    (P.S. Maybe I get a score from mods, but that back cover doesn't look like a p*ssy?)
    This is best way we have found to be able to order all the specific parts we need for a very low price. We import our guts (as most do) but we handle the rest.
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by snorri788 View Post
    I think that since HP has publically stated that they are not in the phone business anymore, and that they are no longer manufacturing pre3's, it can be assumed that there is no reference design.
    It just comes down to whether open webOS will be tablet only or will also include handsets. If it's going to include handsets, then they'll have to be testing it on some handset hardware, even if it is not physically configured as an actual handset that you hold in your hand, but is just the handset components wired into a development board.
  12. #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3illiams View Post
    This is best way we have found to be able to order all the specific parts we need for a very low price. We import our guts (as most do) but we handle the rest.
    Hmm...I'm a bit puzzled by this statement. The labor in Asia is so much cheaper that you save a lot by having all the assembly done over there, so why would you want to handle the rest?
  13. #173  
    Chris, could you tell us a bit about the team members you are working with on this project? We've heard a bit about your background, and I think some of us would like to know about the others you're working with - especially those who are heading up your hardware design efforts.
  14.    #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Hmm...I'm a bit puzzled by this statement. The labor in Asia is so much cheaper that you save a lot by having all the assembly done over there, so why would you want to handle the rest?
    I'm glad you asked. Buy getting a few parts delivered to us, we can focus on American people and American jobs as well. When you want to make a product that you believe is ethical, its right to carry that product fully on the lines of ethics, and that includes the manufacturing of the device too. We don't mind having a little help, but we feel that's all that's needed to make a great product, but more importantly we support American jobs. We are American people you know.
  15.    #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Chris, could you tell us a bit about the team members you are working with on this project? We've heard a bit about your background, and I think some of us would like to know about the others you're working with - especially those who are heading up your hardware design efforts.
    The team of people I am working with on this project are about 19-20 people with various backgrounds in design, programming (like me), Java development (again, me too), Hardware/Software Engineering, Operations and Sales, Retail and Development and much more. We have some of the best talent you can ask for.
  16. #176  
    Appreciate the enthusiasm.

    Two points:

    --openwebOS needs to be ready

    -hardware manufacturers need to provide support and warranty, remember the Google Nexus debacle where Google put out the phone but without support and users with issues were left stranded.

    Without those 2 things, the debut of openwebOS on a hardware device could get panned by the reviewers and public, therefore putting the openwebOS project off to a bad start and possibly dooming it as the webOS curse. So I hope everyone who wants to bring the project has their ducks in order and if they don't, the community waits until they do.
    treodoc755 likes this.
  17.    #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Appreciate the enthusiasm.

    Two points:

    --openwebOS needs to be ready

    -hardware manufacturers need to provide support and warranty, remember the Google Nexus debacle where Google put out the phone but without support and users with issues were left stranded.

    Without those 2 things, the debut of openwebOS on a hardware device could get panned by the reviewers and public, therefore putting the openwebOS project off to a bad start and possibly dooming it as the webOS curse. So I hope everyone who wants to bring the project has their ducks in order and if they don't, the community waits until they do.
    Thanks for your interest in our project.

    On your first point, Not only does webOS need to be ready but it needs to be more than webOS at the core. We are in the market for selling webOS phones and supporting the platform.

    Secondly, if there is no compelling hardware and software combination, OWOS will just become a "niche" to play with and help with the selling of more Android phones (In which Microsoft and Oracle are already milking, and they we would have had to pay both companies ourself to make an Android/OWOS device.) This is best for everyone and I couldn't agree more.
  18. #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3illiams View Post
    I'm glad you asked. Buy getting a few parts delivered to us, we can focus on American people and American jobs as well. When you want to make a product that you believe is ethical, its right to carry that product fully on the lines of ethics, and that includes the manufacturing of the device too. We don't mind having a little help, but we feel that's all that's needed to make a great product, but more importantly we support American jobs. We are American people you know.
    That's...admirable, but don't lose sight of the fact that this is a very competitive market you're hoping to break into. You're already going to be at a big component pricing disadvantage because you don't have the economies of scale of the big boys, so I would suggest that you don't saddle yourself with an added disadvantage, no matter how noble the goal. After all, if you manage to make a success of this there will be a lot more American jobs created over the long term, so it would be a shame if the higher costs associated with keeping a handful of jobs in the US ended up being the impediment that kept you from success.
  19. #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3illiams View Post
    The team of people I am working with on this project are about 19-20 people with various backgrounds in design, programming (like me), Java development (again, me too), Hardware/Software Engineering, Operations and Sales, Retail and Development and much more. We have some of the best talent you can ask for.
    Thanks. Can you be a bit more specific about the hardware guys? What manufacturers have they worked with, what kind of hardware systems have they developed? I'm not looking to get their names or anything confidential, but rather to get an idea of where their experience lies.

    The same thing goes for the programmers - apart from the programming languages they are competent in, could you give some background on the types of systems, applications, etc that they have worked on in the past?
  20.    #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    That's...admirable, but don't lose sight of the fact that this is a very competitive market you're hoping to break into. You're already going to be at a big component pricing disadvantage because you don't have the economies of scale of the big boys, so I would suggest that you don't saddle yourself with an added disadvantage, no matter how noble the goal. After all, if you manage to make a success of this there will be a lot more American jobs created over the long term, so it would be a shame if the higher costs associated with keeping a handful of jobs in the US ended up being the impediment that kept you from success.
    Our price disadvantage is to be assumed, we have a smaller product, but we also don't have such large margins to maintain either. We won't need to spam the market with devices to keep improving the user experience of just a few core set of devices. We are not in competition with a lot of the bigger guys. They make generic devices for abroad group of people (which is why the phone materials these days are mostly plastic). Our device is a stronger, more aesthetical longer lasting device, which user experience improves. We will use our time wisely while the rest of the market tries to create just another device.
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions