View Poll Results: Are you willing to help us?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • WebOS is the future and I can't wait.

137 93.84%
  • I'd rather stick to Android/iOS

9 6.16%
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree258Likes
  1.    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's trolling to be skeptical of claims with no evidence?

This place is starting to remind me of a post-apocalyptic film - in the space of a year we have gone from

HP is doubling down because this is a marathon and WebOS will be on every PC

to

It is likely that Sony/HTC/samsung will buy/licence webOS

to

Well we can hack it onto android hardware

to

Some dude with a PC repair business is going to make new webos smartphones

What is the next low going to be? Someone claiming to have carved a working smartphone out of a bar of soap and some string?
    And more importantly, I didn't graduate from college with a degree in fixing computers. I have a clear, precise and achievable goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3illiams View Post
    Even though I love the physical keys, Its a broader approach for all languages that we are aiming for. In doing so, people who aren't English speaking Americans aren't stuck with an English only keypad.
    I just want to correct this point - using physical keys does not leave non english speakers stuck - there are long established input methods that non english users are long accustomed to which allow them to input text in their native languages. Also, you can always have both hard keys and soft keys and let the user choose which one to use in a particular situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3illiams View Post
    Me and my team literally locked ourselves in a bedroom
    Credibility takes a dive right there. :-)
    SnotBoogie likes this.
  4.    #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Credibility takes a dive right there. :-)
    This project may not be for people like you.
    Forgive me for saying this, but how do bedroom coders/hardware hackers have the resources to buy parts and manufacture?
    Pre 3 & TouchPad. Flying in the face of the jesusPhone!
    @chris3william are You in contact with webOS Internals team or OpenwebOSdev, too?
    webOS Italia Community Manager

User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by DMeister View Post
    @chris3william are You in contact with webOS Internals team or OpenwebOSdev, too?
    WebOS Internals has not been contacted with any plausible endeavours.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Well he's updated his website (which it appears I'm not allowed to link to as the link was deleted from my last post by the mods) - it seems that as well as selling smart-phones, it also provides 'female piercing' as well.

Maybe the new webos device will enable you to make calls and fit nipple-clamps at the same time?
    As I wrote on the blog of the Italian community yesterday, We received an email from a seller of webOS device that could confirm what chris3william is saying, here's the excerpt:

Hi *******,
    I am in talks with a 3rd party Hardware Manufacturer (unnamed) and with another company’s blessing (unnamed) to produce Open webOS hardware. Please, help us with this project by getting the word out to people and direct people to our PhoneAlley.com website to take our poll.
    We will make announcements on our website, so please stay tuned.
    All distribution and trade will temporarily suspend until September 2012. ….hint hint!

Arnold Pena Enterprise Seller
    PhoneAlley
    ... it's our/your Turn, go and vote
    Last edited by DMeister; 03/20/2012 at 07:10 AM.
    webOS Italia Community Manager

User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad
    That description matches the site I saw the other day when I clicked the link in this thread. At the top of the page it said the domain name was for sale, so I took it as being owned by a cyber squatter and not a legitimate website.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/23/2012 at 06:52 AM.
    I just want to say first off I was on sprint for 12 yrs, just leaving them last month to AT&T. Though Sprint to me IMO a good company, cheap, and with plans like unlimited data has the other companys beat, it does lack in a specific area WEBOS. I have pleaded like the rest of you with sprint about picking up the Pre2, then the Veer, then the Pre3 and ultimatly it came down to Sprint not wanting to deal with Webos anymore.

Even Verizon who did nothing to market the Pre plus picked up the Pre2, and advertised, and as we all know was picking up the HP Pre 3..Sprint even stopped supporting WIndows phone 7 the arrive (which I owned and thought was a very good phone) to keep focusing on more bad deals like the billions up front for a Apple Product that is on its way down from the top spot. The reason why Dan Hansen is in the hot seat, about his bad practices (google it).

So to me people on here backing sprint regarding webos is wrong in doing so, because sprint has not been loyal to us in that respect. Also if Webos is going to be open source why cant the OP be serious about his company making a device running webos, regardless if all the open source tools are available yet? If hes false or not, lets give him the benefit of the doubt atleast, because at this point we need any major or small company to go ahead and assist our community in making whatever device they feel may help make Webos relevant again.

Another thing yes WCDMA is the biggest currently, but most companys and countrys are GSM, as well as its much easier to make devices running such technology. To me the only feasable approach is to make a Device runnning GSM unlocked so that more people can get their hands on it, without going through such carrier woos like some of us has (sprint). So to the OP please keep us informed on your progress, because there are some of us that are very curious on what you manifest in the months to come. As well as I have reached out to HP in sponsering Webos through our Record label, and I would like to reach out to you and offer the same courtesy, if and when you get a webos device up and running and for sale. GOOD LUCK
    chris3illiams likes this.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That description matches the site I saw the other day when I clicked the link in this thread. At the top of the page it said the domain name was for sale, so I took it as being owned by a cyber squatter and not a legitimate website.
    Well he links to it in his twitter profile and says that he is the President of the company so take from that what you will.
    Well he links to it in his twitter profile and says that he is the President of the company so take from that what you will.
    I did
    Quote Originally Posted by DMeister View Post
    As I wrote on the blog of the Italian community yesterday, We received an email from a seller of webOS device that could confirm what chris3william is saying, here's the excerpt:

... it's our/your Turn, go and vote
    This simply cannot be the same project that Chris Williams is working on - the timeline can't possibly match up. If a product is supposed to hit the market in September, when you consider the steps that it has to pass through before then (FCC and CE approval, ordering of components, production run, quality inspections, packaging, shipping to distribution point), I think you need a good 3 months to get that all done, and that's assuming you're experienced and are running everything like a well-oiled machine, not someone venturing into manufacturing for the very first time. Maybe a behemoth like Apple can get this all done quicker, but very few companies have the resources it takes to significantly improve on that, and certainly a startup doesn't.

To meet this timeline Chris would have to have a final prototype ready by early June - only 11 weeks from now. Based on where he says things are now, that is obviously impossible.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    hum... wonder who the "3rd party hardware manufacturer' is? The other company is clearly intended to be HP.

I don't know anything about Phonealley - who are they? Who is backing the company? All I can find is their barely functional website.
    Not to mention that open webOS won't even be in beta until August - that doesn't leave any real time for proper integration, testing, and optimization. How can anyone possibly have a market ready product available to release the following month? It's not like Windows 8, where manufacturers have been working with the beta for months already and can have something out the week after Windows 8 if finalized if they want to...
    ...it seems too much traffic caused the crash.

Peterdev
    Guys, it's not so difficult to request someone else to manufacture a phone. At all. In fact, if you pick a reference device, it's easy.

I'm not saying he's doing it, I only say it's not difficult, you only need money.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Guys, it's not so difficult to request someone else to manufacture a phone. At all. In fact, if you pick a reference device, it's easy.

I'm not saying he's doing it, I only say it's not difficult, you only need money.
    If that was all he was saying he was doing, I would agree. But he's talking about doing a lot of modifications - did you read the laundry list of features, and creating a device that is going to run an operating system which has not even been completely written yet, and won't be in beta until August. The only company in the world that could manage getting a market ready open webOS device out by September is HP, or a very experienced hardware manufacturer that is working very closely with them, and "having the blessing" of HP is not quite the same thing as that. Putting out a product anything close to what Chris is talking about will take money and time.
    I don't know anything about Phonealley - who are they? Who is backing the company? All I can find is their barely functional website.
    Just look the domain up on Whois and it'll return the registrants address etc.

Usually a company will do it to their business address, e.g. Google: Whois google.com
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast