View Poll Results: Are you willing to help us?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • WebOS is the future and I can't wait.

    137 93.84%
  • I'd rather stick to Android/iOS

    9 6.16%
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 378
Like Tree258Likes
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post

    What is the next low going to be? Someone claiming to have carved a working smartphone out of a bar of soap and some string?
    You've rumbled me! You'll be hearing from my lawyers.

    While you mentioned it, I'll announce that my business is also making a new webOS phone:



    But seriously, I want evidence before I believe anything about a spec list from the heavens and a miracle team with a turnaround time of 5 femtoseconds.I think the community at large has seen so many rumours and hearsay that it knows to pop out to the grit bin at the end of the street before listening to the next pretender.

    However, if you post some DECENT images, I'll happly bake everyone here a big humble pie.
    Last edited by snorri788; 03/19/2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Correcting my spilling.
    Pre 3 & TouchPad. Flying in the face of the jesusPhone!
  2. #122  
    If the OP can come up with an acceptable webOS product then we all win. If not - we are not out anything in the process. So no loss. And being kind while being skeptical is not a sign of weakness and costs us nothing.

    OP I really don't have much to add to your list or the additions by others. I do like the gesture area, especially on a phone - seems easier than buttons. Anyway good luck and keep us apprised.
    PDA History:

    Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

    Touchpad
  3. #123  
    obviously we'd all like this to be true, but it does seem hard to swallow on many levels.

    as to the feature list, how about integrating an OpenVPN client? The code is already available, just needs a ui and simple means of importing the SSL certs and config file.
    chris3illiams likes this.
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by BradE View Post
    If the OP can come up with an acceptable webOS product then we all win.

    That's the tough thing though. I don't think there's a one size fits all solution. "Acceptable" will vary by users. I've compromised before and ended up stuck with a phone i didn't like for two years. I won't compromise anymore. So these things need to hit every characteristic for me. And that's gonna vary from person to person.

    And i'm not really a spec guy but i saw a rumor of some new lte phone coming out rumored in June and the specs where higher which got me wondering it by the time any phone came out would the specs be below par to many users.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 03/19/2012 at 04:59 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    That's a tough though. I don't think there's a one size fits all solution. "Acceptable" will vary by users. I've compromised before and ended up stuck with a phone i didn't like for two years. I won't compromise anymore. So these things need to hit every characteristic for me. And that's gonna vary from person to person.

    And i'm not really a spec guy but i saw a rumor of some new lte phone coming out rumored in June and the specs where higher which got me wondering it by the time any phone came out would the specs be below par to many users.
    Well WebOS goes "free" in September - so if you think about early 2013/mid 2013 for a device, you'd need something that was at least comparable with a middle-range android phone by then.
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Well WebOS goes "free" in September - so if you think about early 2013/mid 2013 for a device, you'd need something that was at least comparable with a middle-range android phone by then.
    I'm sure that's a realistic time frame but wow that's a long time off isn't it. But yes i totally agree with the general point that whatever is "acceptable" will probably be judged according to whatever is average when that phone is release in say 2013. But man i wonder if people can hold on that long. Even the many faithful hear. Although by that time maybe they will have a new enthusiasm and patience based on whatever HP is doing or the community is doing to improve the OS.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  7.    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by gerzhwin View Post
    Are you considering a Pre-like formfactor? Because that is what makes webOS so fantastic. scalability. I’d love to see a phone with a hardware keyboard an a Pre’s screen size!
    Even though I love the physical keys, Its a broader approach for all languages that we are aiming for. In doing so, people who aren't English speaking Americans aren't stuck with an English only keypad.
  8.    #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
    chris3illiams, as I understand the phone will not have a gesture area?
    Instantly upon viewing the device, we thought the gesture area would be best applied to the actual screen. Adding a robust language switching keyboard supported the idea for the 2nd or so prototype.
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Well i'm surely not calling the guy fraud. I do question some of the choices.

    But i think the skepticism by many in this thread and the questioning comes from the first post because there are a couple statements made that are gonna invoke a request for proof. They are:

    "I have created a webOS device from the reference design of the Samsung Infuse 4G."
    "This phone would be 4.5" SAMOLED,.."
    "I have made a few prototypes"

    He's said he's created a device and prototypes so when you say that you gotta expect request for evidence. Especially on this forum where every body and their mom claims a sprint rep told them something about a new webos phone. Also the term "would be" adds confusion. It makes people wonder if the device is actually created as the first quote says or its something that will be created. It's just sounds confusing. Regardless, i don't think the guy is a fraud but from the OP i would expect questions asking for more info and "proof."
    You have to create many phones continually to make a prototype with realistic dimensions. THE SOFTWARE does not have to function 100% for the devices look and feel to be created.

    I don't understand why hate me so much, but that means I have to try that much harder to impress you.
  10. #130  
    And what about touchstone?
  11.    #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's trolling to be skeptical of claims with no evidence?


    This place is starting to remind me of a post-apocalyptic film - in the space of a year we have gone from

    HP is doubling down because this is a marathon and WebOS will be on every PC

    to

    It is likely that Sony/HTC/samsung will buy/licence webOS

    to

    Well we can hack it onto android hardware

    to

    Some dude with a PC repair business is going to make new webos smartphones

    What is the next low going to be? Someone claiming to have carved a working smartphone out of a bar of soap and some string?
    You have been left in the dark by a lot of news outlets claiming that everyone can resurrect this beast. In those frustrations I share with you. That's why we are doing this in the first place! We deserve better from our mobiles.

    If I played Isaac on Love Boat would that be acceptable?
  12.    #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    And what about touchstone?
    I have some great plans for the touchstone and I personally am very familiar with the touchstone after hacking the EVO to function with it. The touchstone is a must have.
  13.    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by snorri788 View Post
    You've rumbled me! You'll be hearing from my lawyers.

    While you mentioned it, I'll announce that my business is also making a new webOS phone:

    Click to view quoted image


    But seriously, I want evidence before I believe anything about a spec list from the heavens and a miracle team with a turnaround time of 5 femtoseconds.I think the community at large has seen so many rumours and hearsay that it knows to pop out to the grit bin at the end of the street before listening to the next pretender.

    However, if you post some DECENT images, I'll happly bake everyone here a big humble pie.
    Isn't that the new Xperia Galaxy HD Blaze Quadro 4G?
  14.    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    That's the tough thing though. I don't think there's a one size fits all solution. "Acceptable" will vary by users. I've compromised before and ended up stuck with a phone i didn't like for two years. I won't compromise anymore. So these things need to hit every characteristic for me. And that's gonna vary from person to person.

    And i'm not really a spec guy but i saw a rumor of some new lte phone coming out rumored in June and the specs where higher which got me wondering it by the time any phone came out would the specs be below par to many users.
    Don't get trapped in the consumerism of devices. Yeah the keep pumping new phones out.... but the user experience isn't keep up. The staggering and stuttering of my Android device proved this to me over and over. I love smartphone and I want something better, so I made a team that can make that happen.

    One size fits all gives us differentiation to our competition in the market. Keeping one phone means everyone gets the same updates ON A TIMELY MANNER. Not next year, or 6 months later or whatever.
    minipot likes this.
  15.    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    If the discussion is about WHAT members want in a phone, that's is one thing. Claiming you've built physical prototypes but showing basic Photoshop pictures of an iPhone with webOS cards layered over the screen image is another. If we look at this thread as tongue-and-cheek banter, we'll all be fine. Otherwise, the sharks will have a feeding frenzy in this thread like chum in the water.
    That's not an iPhone. That is how every device on the market looks right now. We tried to make the back of the device really different for that reason. Secondly, thats how we want the device to look without the gestures on the screen.

    If you would like to improve our design feel free. We could use any help we can get at this point. It must be awesome to know there are people who care so much about a product that no matter how much negativity you try to bring only makes us stronger. WE CARE ABOUT THIS. This is my real human life.
  16.    #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Stop putting up a fight man! Just drink kool-aid it's good for you. lol. Nah, anyone skeptical of anything or that does not have an axe to grind with, companies named after fruit, people named Leo, androids, Microsoft, playbooks, HP, unicorns, or sunny days may be a troll. No matter what is written you are to agree with it without question. Drink up.

    Sssssluurp!!! "Ummmm what is this? Grape? OOOOO! I love grape!"
    We would be better off attacking the only person in the world who really wantsto help this community evolve into something more than "niche features" for other platform's development.
  17.    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Well WebOS goes "free" in September - so if you think about early 2013/mid 2013 for a device, you'd need something that was at least comparable with a middle-range android phone by then.
    We've managed to squeeze these devices down for $270-320.00 a phone (Depends on how much of the carbon is reusable). I think the Spec sheet should hold up, and should allow us to sell the devices for even cheaper. Keep in mind that is the NO CONTRACT price of an unlocked modern smartphone. New phones will continue to only get more expensive, and the updates will happen less often, which means the user experience will come very last no matter the specs.

    We are using every bit of this time now to keep refining our Unix based desktop environment that ties into our mobile device strategy.
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    Who stops this early April fool's joke? It's too long to have this going on till 1 April. Still hope something good and useful comes out of this.....
    I've bet my entire livelihood on this, if this project fails, I become a failure working at burger king.
  19.    #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Chris, despite all of the trolls out there who just want to bash everyone who comes up with a new idea, I encourage you to keep working. I prefer WebOS to the other systems that I have seen, and would like to stay with it.

    I am a Sprint user and will stay with Sprint, so please don't leave us out! Here are the specs/suggestions that I have:

    - Front-facing camera for Skype video calls
    - GPS/Nav
    - Voice dial/control of programs
    - Camera that will read barcodes
    - Tethering ability (wifi, bluetooth, USB)
    - Memory card
    - May be impossible, but Touchstone compatibility
    - Touch To Share?

    I am currently on a Frankenpre 2, so I'm okay for a while. But if a viable alternative comes along what will allow me to run WebOS, my family would consider it. We were (before my daughters left for Droid) a 5 WebOS phone family.
    This is also why we used the reference platform chosen. The device come prepared to move along with us as we add new features.
  20.    #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    obviously we'd all like this to be true, but it does seem hard to swallow on many levels.

    as to the feature list, how about integrating an OpenVPN client? The code is already available, just needs a ui and simple means of importing the SSL certs and config file.
    Fantastic suggestion. Me and my team literally locked ourselves in a bedroom and decided to try and implement many of the available API from services. The App Store is great because it gives you a lot of variety when using similar tools. If we can just focus on those core tools, the need for the App Store will become more of a "feature" itself and not apart of how the core experience is reshaped. You guys are awesome.
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions