View Poll Results: Are you willing to help us?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • WebOS is the future and I can't wait.

137 93.84%
  • I'd rather stick to Android/iOS

9 6.16%
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree258Likes
    Looking at the publicly available specs, and then building one like it spec wise isn't exactly something that will easily get you in trouble. Producing one using technical design information, such as the circuit board layout, might, though.

Forgive me if I look at this with a lot of cynicism, though. No one here has any idea who you are, you haven't provided anything other than a poorly photoshopped example,. a screengrab of someone with some kind of circuit board, and a really really lengthy "feature" list that includes all kinds of stuff that would be unlikely to see the light of day built into a handheld - IRC? Really?

Also, you're only handpicking a few questions to respond to.

If you're building something, I'd probably buy it, but I'm not going to count on this until there's something to show, which wouldn't be until Open webOS is available, unless you have something going with HP already, and if you did, that'd probably be announced.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3illiams View Post
    Samsung Lawyers are happy to know we use their Soc's. We have a licensing agreement for not only the display tech but for the Soc's too. We are the 1 of the only American computer manufactures.
    Jon Rubinstein, is that you??
    tovivekmishra and Trovatore like this.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    They see me trollin', they hatin'
    Laptop going to be convertible or regular clamshell? You could probably get some help from hp to build something like the tm2. I would be your first customer

I REALLY like hardware and software keyboard on the same device
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    Got few questions:

1/ How is your company called?
    2/ FCC certifications?
    3/Are you in touch with HP/openwebOS Team?
    4/Do you have a roadmap? When are you planning to release it?
    5/ VIDEO :-)
    We would like to release the device about January. My company used to be called Syscom LLC, but we have been "gobbled up" and now are becoming something bigger.

Depending on the type of devices, FCC certification might be required. The two most common FCC Certifications requirements are FCC Part 15 and FCC Part 68.

Telecommunications equipment has to be tested and be in compliances with FCC Part 68. FCC Part 68 is the FCC Certification for connection to the telephone network. FCC has privatized some of the FCC Part 68 requirements. More information on regulatory compliance can be found at FCC Part 68

The other most common FCC Certification for most electronics it is FCC Part 15. FCC Part 15 covers unintentional testing and evaluation as well as low power un-licensed transmitters. More information on this can be found at FCC Part 15

Also, The Samsung Soc's are already Ce and RoHS certified. We need to stabilize WebOS before we submit for Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL).
    VasTheGreek likes this.
  6.    #26  
    The traditional App market has failed us. Why do you ask? Because now your starting to see the platforms that developers have created becoming apart of how the core OS functions. What that means is the Apple, Google and Microsoft are working on all trying to prevail selling the exact same thing....the ecosystem. Apple adding tweet to Safari, Siri working on Wolfram Alpha and Yelp. Its time we continue the best "truely" open OS available.

WebOS was missing three things, a direction, support and great hardware. We aim to provide all three.
    Last edited by chris3illiams; 03/17/2012 at 01:36 PM.
    We have moved passed the "mock-up" stage. Currently, our engineers are getting WebOS working on the Hummingbird with Adreno combo BEFORE the Open WebOS roadmap is complete. We want to get a major jump on the system to catch up to our own expectations. Thanks so much for the support guys. We have seen Windows 8 and Mac OSX and are trying to bring a substantial third option for real people with great hardware/software.
    So then are you saying that, as of 2:33 PM EST March 17, 2012, webOS is actually running on at least one of your custom built prototypes? Which variant, 1.x, 2.x or 3.x? Can you boot into webOS, unlock it, and run any of its standard stock apps? Do all of them work? If not, which ones currently work? Do you realistically foresee getting webOS running well on your device before HP releases the open source code? Why are you reluctant to post a simple video clip of the device, rather than static images that could be taken from anywhere? It's not like there are a whole set of competitors waiting in the wings to rip off your idea and beat you to market - you're the only one who is allegedly this far along.

These are all questions that should be really easy to answer for someone who is actually doing this, doesn't give away any confidential secrets, and good answers to questions like these would instantly unlock all kinds of support for your project from many people on here, as well as provide important reassurances to your financial backers on whether there is enough interest to invest in mass production.

So....what are your answers?
    jdlashley likes this.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Laptop going to be convertible or regular clamshell? You could probably get some help from hp to build something like the tm2. I would be your first customer

I REALLY like hardware and software keyboard on the same device
    I have personally fell in love with a nice tegra 2 based tablet. It has 1GB of ram , 32GB SSD and weighs about 680g. I feel in love with the speed of the device and I'm excited to curate WebOS with my team on it. Since it doesn't require Dalvik like the Android platform, we can get it really running efficiently like the core of Linux should.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    So then are you saying that, as of 2:33 PM EST March 17, 2012, webOS is actually running on at least one of your custom built prototypes? Which variant, 1.x, 2.x or 3.x? Can you boot into webOS, unlock it, and run any of its standard stock apps? Do all of them work? If not, which ones currently work? Do you realistically foresee getting webOS running well on your device before HP releases the open source code? Why are you reluctant to post a simple video clip of the device, rather than static images that could be taken from anywhere? It's not like there are a whole set of competitors waiting in the wings to rip off your idea and beat you to market - you're the only one who is allegedly this far along.

These are all questions that should be really easy to answer for someone who is actually doing this, doesn't give away any confidential secrets, and good answers to questions like these would instantly unlock all kinds of support for your project from many people on here, as well as provide important reassurances to your financial backers on whether there is enough interest to invest in mass production.

So....what are your answers?
    Thank you so much for your interest in our project. We call the UI "Eden". We loaded a few Virtualbox installations of WebOS on a few different hardware combinations and tried to decide the best way to handle the approach. As you know, Web OS in its standard package can boot to any standard x86 platform. We used 3.0.4 (Because of the pixel density), and was able to get the dump parsible from the unlocked bootloader functioning on the Hummingbird platform (Thanks to the Cyanogenmod Team and their work on the Touchpad). We hope to have WebOS up and functioning before the end of next month, we absolutely need to get the bootloader figured out so we can move forward. This is the first time anyone has even attempted this and we personally feel honored. I will try to update you with the first image as soon as we can get it to function.
    jdlashley likes this.
  10.    #30  
    Thank you so much for your interest in our project. We call the UI "Eden". We loaded a few Virtualbox installations of WebOS on a few different hardware combinations and tried to decide the best way to handle the approach. As you know, Web OS in its standard package can boot to any standard x86 platform. We used 3.0.4 (Because of the pixel density), and was able to get the dump parsible from the unlocked bootloader functioning on the Hummingbird platform (Thanks to the Cyanogenmod Team and their work on the Touchpad). We hope to have WebOS up and functioning before the end of next month, we absolutely need to get the bootloader figured out so we can move forward. This is the first time anyone has even attempted this and we personally feel honored. I will try to update you with the first image as soon as we can get it to function.
    Also WebOS is the first part of our start. We are developing a Unix based 64-bit environment to accompany our goals.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Chris, in the event this is real, I thought I would through out my questions and thoughts:

1. My understanding is phones are not welcome on carriers unless approved. In particular, I am on Sprint. How do you get carrier support for a device that will surely get launched from a largely unknown position?

2. If this does catch on, it will take some serious amount of time to get app developers on board. Do you plan to incorporate OpenMobile to get apps in short order?

3. How about a dual boot device running ICS and webOS, something like the Note/Journal?
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Chris, in the event this is real, I thought I would through out my questions and thoughts:

1. My understanding is phones are not welcome on carriers unless approved. In particular, I am on Sprint. How do you get carrier support for a device that will surely get launched from a largely unknown position?

2. If this does catch on, it will take some serious amount of time to get app developers on board. Do you plan to incorporate OpenMobile to get apps in short order?

3. How about a dual boot device running ICS and webOS, something like the Note/Journal?
    1. We reached this goal based on how the market shaped up. We don't think OSX is the future, and Windows want to give us the same thing with more crap on top. We loved WebOS, but we didn't want Apple, Blackberry or WinMO phones and we thought to ourselves, "Sure, We'll do it." People deserve to have a real viable option.

2. Open Mobile is what kicked off our aspirations. If you can match them for those basic utilities (Mainly AppStore and Support/Hardware) you can stand a chance. The bigger that catalog grows, even with how easy it is to port iOS apps to WebOS, we have a good chance.

3. We thought about running Android and thought to ourselves....Well every Android phone pretty much sucks. The ones that aren't made from plastic are basically bricks. Recent Litigation of Google's Privacy snooping and Apps downloading Data from users phones, and users unhappy with Apps and their horrible UI's or incorrect functioning but missing the refund "15 Minute window" is something we don't want to be apart of. WebOS is where the real innovation is.
    treodoc755 likes this.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    1. We reached this goal based on how the market shaped up. We don't think OSX is the future, and Windows want to give us the same thing with more crap on top. We loved WebOS, but we didn't want Apple, Blackberry or WinMO phones and we thought to ourselves, "Sure, We'll do it." People deserve to have a real viable option.
    Thanks for replying, but I don't see how this answers the question. How do you get the phone you release to run on a closed system environment like Sprint, where they have to approve the device?
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Well, I wish you guys well. Do keep us posted on your progress, and let us know how we as a community can assist.
    jdlashley likes this.
  15.    #35  
    Thanks for replying, but I don't see how this answers the question. How do you get the phone you release to run on a closed system environment like Sprint, where they have to approve the device?
    Our Devices won't run on terrible networks such as Sprint (I know I had an EVO and no bars in my home). They will be sold Unlocked to any GSM carrier. Maybe some Verizon plans may come through eventually. But we are focusing on GSM. And hopefully for not to long because we have a long term goal and it doesn't require GSM at all.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Looking at the publicly available specs, and then building one like it spec wise isn't exactly something that will easily get you in trouble. Producing one using technical design information, such as the circuit board layout, might, though.

Forgive me if I look at this with a lot of cynicism, though. No one here has any idea who you are, you haven't provided anything other than a poorly photoshopped example,. a screengrab of someone with some kind of circuit board, and a really really lengthy "feature" list that includes all kinds of stuff that would be unlikely to see the light of day built into a handheld - IRC? Really?

Also, you're only handpicking a few questions to respond to.

If you're building something, I'd probably buy it, but I'm not going to count on this until there's something to show, which wouldn't be until Open webOS is available, unless you have something going with HP already, and if you did, that'd probably be announced.
    It sounds like you are skeptical that a phone with "Starfleet" written on the back and using the Starfleet delta will actually be released!

I'm pretty sure the first iphone design had "Star Wars is rad!" written on the back.
    jdlashley and SnotBoogie like this.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It sounds like you are skeptical that a phone with "Starfleet" written on the back and using the Starfleet delta will actually be released!

I'm pretty sure the first iphone design had "Star Wars is rad!" written on the back.
    I chose the name Starfleet temporarily. I need a cool name for the device and for the tablet/laptop experience. And the logo stands for an A, which is the first letter of what our new company shall be. The logo is inspired by Star Fox actually.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Well, I wish you guys well. Do keep us posted on your progress, and let us know how we as a community can assist.
    The best way you can truely assist me is helping me expand this list:

This will expand our team and give us a really good shot at making Linux Users proud.
    DuckDuck Go Search
    Open Steet Maps Mobile
    Wireless Device Mirroring
    Predictive Test
    Voice Assistant (wolfram alpha)
    Fast Keyboard Language Switching
    Wireless Syncing
    Camera flash notifications
    Use as controller for games
    Make something cool like Airplay
    Navigation Program
    unify messaging
    Native Tether
    Music Recognition
    Native Transcoder "Code on the fly"
    Native MKV, M2TS, TS support
    Flac support
    Bitmap and Raw Image support
    IRC
    All Language support via the space bar (press and hold)
    Camera on lockscreen
    screen capture
    Connected Devices (DLNA)
    Devices and Printers
    Robust File Manager
    Add Spotify
    text and email shortcuts
    Window Snap and Drag-to Aero feature (tablet)
    slide camera to the right for built in gallery
    slide right for camcorder
    Option to choose where new cards open
    Set program defaults
    Wallpaper Switcher
    Hold search for voice..
    Add Panorama to camera
    Automatically download purchases option
    Energy Saving Mode
    Remind for Later
    Swipe down on home for downloads
    Advanced Reset Options
    swipe broswer down to dupiclate windows
    Always Show Previous and Next Buttons
    Previous and Next buttons for email
    No video Pause on minimize
    Non throttling downloads
  19.    #39  
    Or just talk about what you would like to see in your Oses and why.
    Our Devices won't run on terrible networks such as Sprint (I know I had an EVO and no bars in my home). They will be sold Unlocked to any GSM carrier. Maybe some Verizon plans may come through eventually. But we are focusing on GSM. And hopefully for not to long because we have a long term goal and it doesn't require GSM at all.
    Know how we can be reasonably certain that you're just stringing this along for god only knows what reason? No one in a professional capacity trash talks a carrier. Especially not the carrier with the second largest network consistingly mostly of their own capacity - ATT's network is a patchwork mess of hundreds of smaller carriers that former Cingular absorbed.

Also, Sprint is -the- place for up and coming hardware manufacturers. HTC didn't become a well known phone manufacturer because they produced T-Mobile junk, they became a well known manufacturer because they produced Sprint equipment. Had the relationship between Palm and Sprint not become so farked up back in 2009, we might be in a vastly different situation as webOS users, than we are now, too.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    SnotBoogie likes this.
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast