View Poll Results: Are you willing to help us?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • WebOS is the future and I can't wait.

137 93.84%
  • I'd rather stick to Android/iOS

9 6.16%
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819
Like Tree258Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    This is an anonymous forum: it's *supposed* to be a collision of patchworked opinions, unfounded claims and colorful thoughts.
    I personally don't come to this forum for unfounded claims.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    And thank God. But really, I thought it was obvious that my list wasn't exhaustive. I can tack on an "etc." for the overly literal minded.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    And thank God. But really, I thought it was obvious that my list wasn't exhaustive. I can tack on an "etc." for the overly literal minded.
    Patchworked opinions, colorful thoughts, "etc." are welcome.

Unfounded claims (especially those that prey upon the hopes of the community) are not.

Hence the reception in this thread.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/31/2012 at 09:33 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    This thread is an example of the vetting process any idea will go through in the marketplace. Any idea must stand up to significant scrutiny along the way, it is a natural process. Today, in the digital arena we live in, ideas get a fire hose in the mouth evaluation so to speak.

The problem in this thread wasn't that Chris had a bad idea, or I don't think it was even that it could not be done, in my opinion the problem was that he started off 1) as arrogant, not welcoming all comers, taking a rather "I know better than you, and your ideas don't matter" approach and rubbing a lot of people the wrong way, and 2) made some initial claims that were unfounded, could not be proven.

I would have liked to see this idea develop here and I hope that if Chris does have a real project, albeit beginning at an earlier developmental point in time (conceptual, without proven working hardware), that he returns with a different perspective himself in order to facilitate a better relationship with a passionate webOS world.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    sledge007, xandros9 and jcmarcos like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    This thread is an example of the vetting process any idea will go through in the marketplace. Any idea must stand up to significant scrutiny along the way, it is a natural process.
    Agreed, but there is a pretty significant difference between polite, reasoned skepticism; and immediately and rudely accusing someone of being a liar. My personal opinion is that some of the replies stepped over that rather large divide very early on.

he started off 1) as arrogant, not welcoming all comers, taking a rather "I know better than you, and your ideas don't matter" approach and rubbing a lot of people the wrong way, .
    My reading of the tread is that this is a pretty accurate description of the community's tones, not the OP; at least to start with. Discussions don't end well once punches have been thrown and if they were thrown, it seems to me it was by the community first.
    DMeister, xandros9 and Garfonso like this.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    Agreed, but there is a pretty significant difference between polite, reasoned skepticism; and immediately and rudely accusing someone of being a liar. My personal opinion is that some of the replies stepped over that rather large divide very early on.

My reading of the tread is that this is a pretty accurate description of the community's tones, not the OP; at least to start with. Discussions don't end well once punches have been thrown and if they were thrown, it seems to me it was by the community first.
    Up until he made this statement on the 2nd page of his thread, he was just being asked for proof, real evidence that he had what he said he had. This is when he started going down hill, and he never recovered:

Quote Originally Posted by chris3illiams View Post
    Our Devices won't run on terrible networks such as Sprint ...
    And I am not saying this because he was replying to me, I am use to people talking about Sprint being third class, but there was a professional way to reply to why he could not focus on Sprint, this was not it. Chris started the real negative talk here.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    That definitely turned me sour on it. Then I got over it.

This guy is spending way too much time on keeping this going, imo. Might be going about things in completely the wrong way, but I do have this feeling that he's serious, even if doing things wrong. A lot of people demanding proof of things in the thread were just demanding entirely too much at this point, as well -- you can't just make webOS run on other devices right now -- the few people who've done it (Jason I think being the only one that I can recall) did it with a phone that was virtually identical to a TouchPad architecure wise, and it still didn't actually work.

He seems to have dropped off of this forum, but he's still talking on Twitter. *shrug* As I said, I'm skeptical, but hey, if anyone wants to do whatever with webOS .. well, it's going to be an open source product, and good luck.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Garfonso and chris3illiams like this.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Might be going about things in completely the wrong way, but I do have this feeling that he's serious, even if doing things wrong.
    Agreed completely, I do believe he was or is serious, he carried on too long to be a hoax in any way, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    A lot of people demanding proof of things in the thread were just demanding entirely too much at this point
    Until he took it in the gutter, the only thing asked of him was to prove he had what he said he had, a working device.

I hope he comes back, as well as others like him, with a better approach and proof.
    chris3illiams likes this.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I always say this about rim, u shouldn't talk about what you are going to do instead laser focus on doing it then u can share with the world. efficency is a great deal.....
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    keep up fellas... on twitter, he's now talking about how the app store will work!

It's amazing what you can do in your house off an old kitchen table.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Spot on Rod! I come here for information about how to get the best use from my webOS device(s). I have very little interest in speculation or somebody's fantasies.

Any animosity in this thread developed because of Chris's refusal to directly answer any questions put to him
    Last edited by johncc; 03/31/2012 at 10:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    keep up fellas... on twitter, he's now talking about how the app store will work!

It's amazing what you can do in your house off an old kitchen table.
    His tweets are interesting. Fact or foe, you must give him props for devotion.

"Our #webOS mobile phones will be made in America. For Americans by Americans."
    chris3illiams likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    His tweets are interesting. Fact or foe, you must give him props for devotion.

"Our #webOS mobile phones will be made in America. For Americans by Americans."
    Updated slogan:

"Made in America. For Americans by Americans. Unless you're on Verizon or Sprint cause we don't do CDMA."
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    ...Business is business and nothing personal. Just as long as I can convert your currency into U.S. Dollars.

Peterdev
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    "Excited for on the verge"
    Last edited by gbp; 04/01/2012 at 07:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Updated slogan:

"Made in America. For Americans by Americans. Unless you're on Verizon or Sprint cause we don't do CDMA."
    Updated, updated slogan :

"Made in America. For Americans by Americans. Unless you're on Verizon or Sprint because they are terrible ."
    first hardware beta:

How to build your own smartphone
    bevcraw and AwesomePalmPre127 like this.
    And with Cantaffordit's report on the state of the art, it is probably time to close down this thread.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819