View Poll Results: Are you willing to help us?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • WebOS is the future and I can't wait.

137 93.84%
  • I'd rather stick to Android/iOS

9 6.16%
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree258Likes
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Also im not sure if ur allowed but put on preware from stock
    Quote Originally Posted by minipot View Post
    No one's allowed to do anything at the moment, as no one has licensed webOS from HP, and we don't currently have an open source version.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by minipot View Post
    Preware is GPL2, which means anyone can distribute it as-is as long as they in some fashion make the source available for download. They can even roll it into other software packages but then they need to expose that source code as well.

So unless the final HP WebOS license has some totally insane "you can't add additional software' restriction, there's nothing preventing anyone from bundling the current Preware on a WebOS device.

Even if this particular project winds up falling apart like that "Phantom" game console, the basic ideas here are the same basic roadmap that anyone looking to produce a WebOS device should follow.

1. start with a proven reference design that is already linux/android validated and preferably already in production under several labels (i.e. the Playbook and the Kindle Fire are built to the same reference design, same for several Windows Phone devices from different manufacturers). Multiple existing devices means more parts suppliers and the possibility of using another product's aftermarket parts (i.e. Touchpads use iPad cases)

2. find parts suppliers and/or an ODM with experience with that reference design that meets your price/reliability targets. Cheaper devices will be jankier.

2b. Consider hunting for a product of opportunity. It is possible that a very reliable ODM like FoxConn or HTC might be sitting on some poorly selling devices that could be rebadged & reflashed at a discounted price. (I'm looking at you, first-generation Windows Phone devices).

3. get engineering samples and use the new linux kernel to begin validation/calibration/performance testing prior to full WebOS release

4. Do whatever testing is possible on the partial WebOS release using other linux apps to make up the lack of a complete webos, i.e. using generic WebKit on X11 with the new Enyo framework to be able to test some apps.
    Garfonso likes this.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    As for naming with all skeptism aside id say dunimos (if thats how you spell it) if that is the right spelling it means power in greek or something
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I found a chinese website selling KIRFs for $ 200.00

http://wx100.taobao.com/

Makes me think about some developer porting webOS when its ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    There's a reason those phones are so cheap. That reason is because they're utter crap.
    Aren't they so bad just because of non tuned software? Or you mean the hardware has unevitable glitches, and fails early?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Aren't they so bad just because of non tuned software? Or you mean the hardware has unevitable glitches, and fails early?
    Fails early, poor battery life, bad reception, early cosmetic wear and tear to name a few. I've used generic cheap Chinese devices quite a bit, and Derek's right, you do get what you pay for.
    Just wait until Sunday and I think Mr Williams will be back with an "April Fools guys! " post.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    oh, and how could I forget another one of my favorites - RF interference resulting in noisy audio signals.

Bottom line, if you want to get the type of refined devices we're accustomed to, you're either going to need to put some investment into joint R&D, or find the very rare China manufacturer for whom quality is job one, in which case the price will be much higher. You won't get the desired quality off the shelf at those prices.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Fails early, poor battery life, bad reception, early cosmetic wear and tear to name a few. I've used generic cheap Chinese devices quite a bit, and Derek's right, you do get what you pay for.
    Don't they have decent upscale devices ? something with dual core processor ?
    This thread's like watching Jerry Springer.
    Most of the posts are like fat, ugly people with bad teeth living in trailers, saying all sorts of thing just to get noticed or try to be funny.
    How am I doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Don't they have decent upscale devices ? something with dual core processor ?
    Yes - but just not at those $200 prices. I mean think about it - we know from iSuppli that the parts alone that go into an iPhone 4S cost somewhere around $200 - those are the type of quality components it takes to result in a quality device.

A China manufacturer is going to have to spend that same $200 odd dollars, or the device will definitely be sub par. And then they have to add on a reasonable profit if their company is going to stick around. So the second you see a device selling at $200 retail, that means they might be getting it as low as $140 from the OEM (yes distribution channel markup as high as 40% is not unusual for China devices), and the OEM manufacturer would have added a good 10% above their costs, so we can estimate that at about $127. Each phone probably has about $7 labor, packaging and logistics cost going into it, so we can estimate the cost of components in that phone to be about $120 - that's $80 less than the components going into an iPhone, so the phone just won't be in the same league.

Looking at these numbers, if you want to get a real quality phone from a Chinese manufacturer, you need to be looking more in the $300 and up range.
    Troll or no troll, am I the only one who read through this thread and found it needlessly vicious and hostile?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    chris3illiams and Garfonso like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    Troll or no troll, am I the only one who read through this thread and found it needlessly vicious and hostile?
    Yeah, funny what two or three disappointments could do to people.

The point is that we all have heard enough stories about webOS devices and they just don't work for me anymore. It would be nice to see new webOS hardware again, though.

Yeah. Easily one of the worst threads ever. Personal attacks instead of constructive critisism and advice.
    Garfonso and chris3illiams like this.
    one of the worst threads, yet one of the best. i've long moved on to another mobile os, but i keep glancing over here for the entertainment value. put this thread in another OS' forum, and it wouldn't fly. put it in the webos forums, and it gets 18 pages of replies and 12,000+ views. It's a reflection of the state of webos and the mentality of the fan community more than anything. it is what it is.
    dignitary likes this.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    This thread's like watching Jerry Springer.
    Most of the posts are like fat, ugly people with bad teeth living in trailers, saying all sorts of thing just to get noticed or try to be funny.
    How am I doing?
    You want us to be not funny and cry over the demise of webOS ?
    BTW you are doing great.

I am actually waiting for Chris to post. I just want to know what he is upto.
    chris3illiams likes this.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    one of the worst threads, yet one of the best. i've long moved on to another mobile os, but i keep glancing over here for the entertainment value. put this thread in another OS' forum, and it wouldn't fly. put it in the webos forums, and it gets 18 pages of replies and 12,000+ views. It's a reflection of the state of webos and the mentality of the fan community more than anything. it is what it is.

There really is nothing else to do - there is no hardware, no sign of hardware, there is no sign of any news and so we have flights of fantasy like this to keep us all amused.

You are not alone. Instead of being supportive, constructive but understandably wary, it went right to hostile. It begs the question, why should anyone new invest any time or effort in webOS if this is the reception they can expect?
    Garfonso likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BradE View Post
    You are not alone. Instead of being supportive, constructive but understandably wary, it went right to hostile. It begs the question, why should anyone new invest any time or effort in webOS if this is the reception they can expect?
    I disagree. I think that if the OP had come on here and shown the signs of progress one would expect to see from people developing something (hardware in various stages of assembly, videos of failed boot attempts, the development board on which they are trying new components, information who his team members are etc) he would have been met with open arms. This is not the Manhattan Project, and there are no competitors hungry to just get a glimpse of what you're doing so they can steal your designs. And then when it became clear that ppl were very skeptical,rather than just post a video showing what they have actually done, he attempted to mislead us with a faked video and photos.

Given all that, some still believe in him and are expressing support, and even those that don't are not blasting him, but are instead just telling him to come back when he really has something to show. I think the responses have been overwhelmingly appropriate, and if Chris does come back with something to show he will get a fair hearing.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    This is an anonymous forum: it's *supposed* to be a collision of patchworked opinions, unfounded claims and colorful thoughts.

The real pity is not this thread, but the article it produced. Derek, instead of throwing down here, jumped onto a soapbox on the webOSnation front page to voice his own opinion (one of many) on how one can't produce and market a smartphone without being an enormous tech corporation.

Like HP?

Admittedly, a tech blog is a simply a collection of op ed piece about gadgets so to each their own point of view...however, for webOS, community = survival.

Do you really want to discourage *any* hopeful entrepreneurs, regardless of their shape and size?

Was it really necessary to post a huge "GO AWAY" sign on the homepage of the premier webOS site?

Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)