View Poll Results: Are you willing to help us?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • WebOS is the future and I can't wait.

137 93.84%
  • I'd rather stick to Android/iOS

9 6.16%
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree258Likes
    It's a shame how this has evolved.
    Newness Developments apps:

Cantaffordit, Sanjay and xandros9 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    It's a shame how this has evolved.
    Indeed. It is also a shame how easily it could have been avoided.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Cantaffordit, Sanjay and xandros9 like this.
    OP, Chris, time to let this conversation go. There is no percentage in arguing with Mods and the Admin (they are just trying to protect the community and keep it all together. A hard and thankless job even at the best of times.) Come back when you have a product and do a reset. Good luck to you.

I suspect that webOSnation will see a lot of startups in here, each trying to make webOS products in the weeks after OpenwebOS gets released. There is a lot of talent here, maybe there should be a mentoring section for those that want some advice and guidance?

Nobody here wants to get their hopes up only to be crushed (again), but maybe a process and a team to vet and help incubate legit startups might not hurt.

My 2 cents.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    tbh, if I were going to try to build a device on the cheap, I'd grab something similar and available and mod it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    invalidopcode likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3illiams View Post
    got all of our domain registration figured out
    "Excuse me guys, I'm going to build a webOS phone from scratch right after I figure out this whole domain registration thingamabob."

Sorry, but this somehow inspired even less confidence than getting called out by Derek on the screenshots did.
    zhephree and Cantaffordit like this.
    Maybe we should just restart this thread from step one.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Maybe we should just restart this thread from step one.
    Why? what would be different? The OP gets caught in a lie with his first post.
    Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    Who stops this early April fool's joke? It's too long to have this going on till 1 April. Still hope something good and useful comes out of this.....
    Although it had some entertaining value at times and probably increased site traffic considerably, it's sad to see that nothing good came out of this......

Agree with previous posters. We'll get multiple startups, it's good to support them as a community, but we might need some rules around it so both parties are not wasting their time or upsetting others including site admin.

Still would appreciate to see Chris Williams providing some answers to the questions raised in this forum. Maybe his reply can be forwarded and posted by one of the moderators or Derek. Just a final post before we close this. If he can't answer certain questions at all and it appears like that I would also like to hear that.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by renater; 03/26/2012 at 02:37 AM. Reason: typo
    We have a lot of great things we are working on. We just recently found our building, got all of our domain registration figured out (super fun stuff!, and soon we will be ready to show you are all new company store and webpage. I try to stay is busy as I possibly can.

People gotta be able to shop and follow the news
    You might (or might not be) be a great engineer or CEO - or whatever your role is.

But PRPRPR $is$ $certainly$ $not$ $one$ $of$ $your$ $strengths$. $Please$ $get$ $somebody$ $else$ $to$ $do$ $that$ $for$ $you$.

Plus when people saw it I was hoping they would say "Look at that webOS phone, OMG".
    Without a gesture area why would I care about this phone as a "webos device"? (did I overlook the mentioning of a gesture area?)

When open webos is fully released I can take any Android phone and put webos on it myself.

In case you really are working on a webos device - good luck.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    When open webos is fully released I can take any Android phone and put webos on it myself.
    You are thinking to easy here... sure the os will most probably run somehow. But even with some Android drivers going upstream into the linux kernel, there still is hardware in those phones that has no default drivers in the kernel and that is kept more or less a secret... and if it's "only" the modem part. But usually wi-fi and bluetooth are problematic, too.

There are usually kinks to iron out or to life with if you are running alien software on a phone. It's just much to specialized hardware to run multiple systems without adaption. Did you ever try something like this? I did, and I always came back to the original OS after some time, because some things could not be solved... I hope it will be different with open webOs. But better keep some sort of backup plan.

I sure hope someone will do webOs phones again, someday. If that is chris3williams, I'm fine with that. If it's somebody else, that's ok, too. Just go out there and build them.
    So i skimmed a couple of pages. Anyone wanna gimme a quick summary of the events on the last 17 pages?

Is this device real or just someone attempting to make me more depressed?
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    So i skimmed a couple of pages. Anyone wanna gimme a quick summary of the events on the last 17 pages?

well, mr.Chris Williams said he has a working model of a webOS phone using Samsung Infuse hardware. When questioned by everyone he showed rather fake video. Now he asked for sometime to show videos of booting webOS on Samsung Infuse.

I don't believe him till I see a clear video.

Short summary -- someone is talking a big talk, doesn't have any proof to show, and that's pretty much to be expected for something that is in development, so it's pretty understandable that no one believes him, and then he took offense to the way people were being about it, and then it got out of hand.

We all ahve good reasons to be skeptics, but this has gone on too far to be someone just casually trolling. Either he's legit, or he's in for a ridiculously long con, and all three options all seem ridiculous.

SO, I'm just going to follow along here, and hope that he's legit, and encourage it, and hope that everyone else will be nice.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Garfonso and treodoc755 like this.
    Fair enough. lol. I guess I'll hold on for the ride and see what happens. I really hope he's truly got something in the works. Just wish he would give us something that shows a booting OS on it, even if it isn't usable yet.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    You missed out an obvious option "that he is a fantasist".

Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Short summary -- someone is talking a big talk, doesn't have any proof to show, and that's pretty much to be expected for something that is in development, so it's pretty understandable that no one believes him, and then he took offense to the way people were being about it, and then it got out of hand.

We all ahve good reasons to be skeptics, but this has gone on too far to be someone just casually trolling. Either he's legit, or he's in for a ridiculously long con, and all three options all seem ridiculous.

SO, I'm just going to follow along here, and hope that he's legit, and encourage it, and hope that everyone else will be nice.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Just wish he would give us something that shows a booting OS on it, even if it isn't usable yet.
    Oh no, We cannot read another 17 pages.
    1. I sent him a reply already.

2. You can't say anybody has been a fan of anything longer than anyone. There's no way to know that other than what transpires on your website. What unit of measurement would you use anyway?

3. I love webOS and I love this community, I couldn't possibly state that again in another way but plain English.

4. It would be great if the moderators would stop saying that there are "wishlists" of features available on other parts of this forum. I don't want the moderators opinions I want the fans opinions of a specific device, created just for their interest. Moderators "wishlist" serve absolutely no purpose for a device thats non-existent so please don't remove my way of communicating with my people. I want my device(s) complete more than anyone on this forum. Its for you, its for me and its for the future... OWOS4LIFE.

5. Juice still taste good. I'm kidding, I'm a nice person and I want to do some good. So PLEASE join me and fight or give up and lose.
    I think it's high time you gave up. No one believes you and continuing to anger moderators, the community leader and Ron Whitby is totally the wrong way to go about it. Quit while you have a shred of dignity left.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I found a chinese website selling KIRFs for $ 200.00

http://wx100.taobao.com/

Makes me think about some developer porting webOS when its ready.
    There's a reason those phones are so cheap. That reason is because they're utter crap.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I have awesome news community of webOS users. My name is Christopher Williams, and I have created a webOS device from the reference design of the Samsung Infuse 4G. ... We want to ask every user in the WebOS community what they want in this amazing new journey.
    With the obligatory "You better not be Leo Apotheker come to ruin my dreams again" comment out of the way...

The basic hardware selection looks good. I've been hoping someone would take a reference design that required minimal engineering & retooling and try to get WebOS running on it. I'm a sprint user but I'm off contract and every 3-4 months I check to see if I should jump carriers. I'll buy an unlocked GSM phone just to have it even if I keep my main lines with sprint.

Suggestions for features:

1. Do like the Droid Razr Maxx and sacrifice the thinness for a bigger battery. It must last a full day for a power user. If that deeply offends you, or the plans are too far gone, at least make sure the battery door mounts are capable of dealing with a significant extended battery in an ergonomic fashion. If you can make it be compatible with another phone's existing extended battery pack you get extra special brownie points.

2. I almost hate to say this but do what Steve Jobs would do and focus on user performance not features. The iPhone is not and never was the fastest/bestest piece of hardware but it's got a wonderful user experience on 400Mhz devices because they threw out multitasking and limited functionality.
    With a 1.2Ghz CPU you don't have to go that far but anything that keeps the phone from responding instantly should be pruned. If that means disabling a "stock" WebOS function, I say turn it off by default and add a control panel that notes "turning this on can impact performance."
    Given the homebrew community, having the ability to turn features on and off is kind of our bread and butter.

3. Be willing to abandon HP/Palm-specific technologies. Yeah, I've got TouchStones but to go mass market you should be compatible with the those Energizer PowerMats.

4. Give preference to full Bluetooth functionality over Touch-to-Share or NFC. Having BT vcards, file transfer, keyboards, modem, etc is much more useful. TTS and NFC are both are dependant upon an ecosystem you cannot control. If you feel you have to do one, install NFC hardware but leave the software for later.

5. Keep the Konami-code for unlocking Developer mode and have doing so reveal PreWare. You might want to have a Preware Feed of your own to manage any software updates or to re-enable those slow-features you disabled.