View Poll Results: Are you willing to help us?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • WebOS is the future and I can't wait.

137 93.84%
  • I'd rather stick to Android/iOS

9 6.16%
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree258Likes
  1.    #181  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Thanks. Can you be a bit more specific about the hardware guys? What manufacturers have they worked with, what kind of hardware systems have they developed? I'm not looking to get their names or anything confidential, but rather to get an idea of where their experience lies.

The same thing goes for the programmers - apart from the programming languages they are competent in, could you give some background on the types of systems, applications, etc that they have worked on in the past?
    When we first set out to do this project, hardware was one of our top priorities. We wanted something that was fast, not too expensive, and easy on the wallet whether contract or no contract. We reached out for some help from some chipset makers and was able to get a good price for the components on the reference platform. Two of our engineers have a background in Android phone kernel modifications, system and db data and cache.

I'll tell you about my main software engineer he really manages the other two. He graduated from UMSL, just like me and has been making software for a company called Kennedy Capital Management. He has created just about every major efficient software utility that the corporation use, as well as maintain the communications server. Before his departure from the company, he was head of Software and Systems Analysis, managing over 4 Billion in annual revenue.

We have a great team that makes me excited to wake up everyday.
    Your device will be marketed in Europe? Especially in Italy? I ask this because one of the biggest mistakes made Palm/HP has been not to sell it's products in Italy, where there are more smartphones than people...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    webOS Italia Community Manager

User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad
  3.    #183  
    Quote Originally Posted by DMeister View Post
    Your device will be marketed in Europe? Especially in Italy? I ask this because one of the biggest mistakes made Palm/HP has been not to sell it's products in Italy, where there are more smartphones than people...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Europeans of course are included in our launch. Whatever we decide to name her, will be available unlocked for use on any GSM carrier. Open WebOS has a new plan and focus, as far as we're concerned, and that goes all the way up to distribution.
    VasTheGreek likes this.

...and that's the problem: This "Eden" project is yet another example for the single mistake I've made more times in my life: Believing that someone, came out of nowhere, is going to save my favourite computer of choice, which was killed from the inside by its idiotic mother company.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  5.    #185  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Click to view quoted image

...and that's the problem: This "Eden" project is yet another example for the single mistake I've made more times in my life: Believing that someone, came out of nowhere, is going to save my favourite computer of choice, which was killed from the inside by its idiotic mother company.
    I'll share something with you that I figured out a while back that the world as a whole is just catching up to speed with. There has to be something else for the rest of us.

Developer interest in Android fades, more interested in iOS | Electronista
  6.    #186  
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3illiams View Post
    I'll share something with you that I figured out a while back that the world as a whole is just catching up to speed with. There has to be something else for the rest of us.

Developer interest in Android fades, more interested in iOS | Electronista
    This very well written post about the current state of electronic devices is why I have this mission. All platforms have to created around standards. WebOS is that platform we have chosen.

Also, Google just found out that Android Apps suck. They didn't find out from the phone division, but the tablet market provided this amazing data. Developers want to spend their time on a platform that is solid and well executed. Not market spam.

Don't worry, this fight ain't over yet
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3illiams View Post
    Fantastic suggestion. Me and my team literally locked ourselves in a bedroom and decided to try and implement many of the available API from services. The App Store is great because it gives you a lot of variety when using similar tools. If we can just focus on those core tools, the need for the App Store will become more of a "feature" itself and not apart of how the core experience is reshaped. You guys are awesome.
    Credibility takes a dive right there. :-)
    Many successful endeavours have been started in a garage...rock groups, PC companies (oops - well HP today isn't what it once was). If I understand my parents correctly, a bedroom-type scenario was at the origin of my present situation. (Or did they say elevator?)

Which part of the house should an entrepreneur avoid when starting a business?

I'm throwing in on the side of the believers. I'm not listing my reasons or asking for proof. Skeptics should get constructive or GTFO, since if you believe in webOS, then you believe someone else will come along, and this person will most likely find this thread anyway.

My list:
    - a fully functional Google maps app. It's gotta be Gmaps and all it's Android functionality. For me, it's the best out there. Google IS evil; too pro-Android (this is a "duh" statement, I realize, but still - the desktop is platform agnostic, why not mobile?)
    - why not crowd funding? webOS fans have no trouble putting their money where their mouths are, at least in the form of a pledge against a concrete result.
    - gesture areas
    - the phone functions should have priority. Occaisionally I can't pick up a call on my Pre 3 because I'm multitasking heavily.

How about international sales, notably Europe? I live in France...an internet provider has been making a killing because they've started offering cell phone plans at 19.99 EUR (15 EUR if you have them as an ISP) with unlimited data, and unlimited minutes domstically AND internationally. All this WITHOUT a contract or engagement. There aren't so many phones available, but the ones that are, are reasonably priced. Check out the free.fr for more.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    jcmarcos, w2wpaul, Rnp and 1 others like this.
    I would love to believe, but I haven't seen anything yet that gives me any reason to do so.
    I want believe it's true.
    But don't forget a good strategy and some changes need on webOS.
    I don't have read all reply, but how many dev you have to work on Open webOS? Also you need developer for the store...
    I'll keep an eye on this. But for myself, no physical keyboard no sale.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by goyena View Post
    in france, an internet provider has started offering cell phone plans at 19.99 eur with unlimited data, and unlimited minutes domestically and internationally. All this without a contract or engagement.
    whaaaaaat!?!?!?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    whaaaaaat!?!?!?
    ...the crisis spreads...
    webOS Italia Community Manager

User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Many successful endeavours have been started in a garage...rock groups, PC companies (oops - well HP today isn't what it once was). If I understand my parents correctly, a bedroom-type scenario was at the origin of my present situation. (Or did they say elevator?)

Which part of the house should an entrepreneur avoid when starting a business?
    I can't believe it took until Post #188 for somebody to say this. Has American attitude and ingenuity really plummetted so far that we've forgotten that a lot of the giant companies that we have today were started in humble beginnings? We do not have to be resigned to what the established companies and technology offers... I've been with webOS since the beginning and have been through all of the BS and heartache with everybody here, so I'll be holding my grain of salt, but "Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. "
    DMeister, tbc and chris3illiams like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by w2wpaul View Post
    I can't believe it took until Post #188 for somebody to say this. Has American attitude and ingenuity really plummetted so far that we've forgotten that a lot of the giant companies that we have today were started in humble beginnings? We do not have to be resigned to what the established companies and technology offers... I've been with webOS since the beginning and have been through all of the BS and heartache with everybody here, so I'll be holding my grain of salt, but "Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. "

....true true!

Peterdev
    tbc likes this.
    Chris, have you a name to this device?

I can suggest POS (idea from "Palm Open Source") that; in portuguese, comes after "Pre". ;-)

For example: here we have pre-paid carrier plans and pos-paid carrier plans...

Well... hummm... this can be a ***** idea, too...

Other suggestion: we have a fantastic market in Brazil, that you can sell anything to customer pay in many times (12x, 18x, etc) from many companies that are not the carriers. To you have an idea, it's possible you find people that receives $ 300.00/month and buy a IPhone 4 that costs more than $ 1.100.00 here.

Okay, we have the most expensive IPhone of the world, but with a good price, our market is great!

Serious, if you wants to sell here, send me a PM and I can help you to drive how you can come to our market.

Best Regards...
    Last edited by Rnp; 03/21/2012 at 02:46 PM.
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Chris, have you a name to this device?

I can suggest POS (idea from "Palm Open Source") that; in portuguese, comes after "Pre". ;-)

For example: here we have pre-paid carrier plans and pos-paid carrier plans...

Well... hummm... this can be a ***** idea, too...

Best Regards...
    RNP, I'm afraid this is where the language barrier comes in - in English, POS has two common meanings - one is Point Of Sale, the other is Piece Of Sh*t.

So people will say "This is a real POS" - so while it might work in português it may raise a few eyebrows in English.
    As I'm sure webOS does to all Spanish speakers

(that would be prairie oysters)
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Heh - which is why when you search twitter for WebOs you get lots of responses in Spanish.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Heh - which is why when you search twitter for WebOs you get lots of responses in Spanish.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Balls. That's what you're searching on Twitter.
    Newness Developments apps:

Rnp likes this.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Hum.. I guess Derek is a troll and naysayer as well now?

http://www.webosnation.com/fast-good...ild-smartphone
    SnotBoogie likes this.
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast