Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By intellidryad
  1.    #1  
    My bet is printers.

I have a source who has SEEN a modified Touchsmart printer running webOS (and Angry Birds). All will be revealed at a print show at some point in 2012. Given HP is keeping it's printer division and webOS, this is the most likely fit.

You heard it here first folks! webOS ain't dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by snorri788 View Post
    My bet is printers.

I have a source who has SEEN a modified Touchsmart printer running webOS (and Angry Birds). All will be revealed at a print show at some point in 2012. Given HP is keeping it's printer division and webOS, this is the most likely fit.

OK - but as a printer OS I can't see the developments in that area helping those of us who own and use the current devices.
  3.    #3  
    I think it will just be a way of tying their printers into the current webOS eco system.

Here's a thought however:

Remember all those parts that are knocking around for the unconfirmed yet very real (and dead) TouchPad Go? What if HP were to make a tablet+printer running webOS, similar to the Zeus/Zeen Android Touchsmart printer that was released a while back?

Killer device!
    I could just imagine...

Edit your office documents, receive your emails, open pdf files, all right from your printer! The HP webOS LaserJet! The typewriter for the 21st century!

Thanks, but no thanks.
    snorri788 likes this.
    webOS Pocket Printer...???

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    What if HP were to make a tablet+printer running webOS, similar to the Zeus/Zeen Android Touchsmart printer that was released a while back?
    What if? It'll be widely known and ridiculed at launch as "The WORST idea EVER!" that's what if. I mean that's an idea so legendarily lame, that it's right up there with all those Victorian baldness-curing machines that worked by applying electroshocks to your skull...

What advantage does webOS bring to printers btw? Like any advantage at all?!?
    I really hope webOS doesn't become a printer OS! A printer is supposed to work faultlessly. An OS, no matter how nice, will just add to the complexity to the printer ad overdevelop the products.
  8.    #8  
    HP To Release webOS Printers? | News |webOSroundup

A bit more cred to the rumour. Will it play nice with touchpads though considering they are effectively discontinued?
    Pre 3 & TouchPad. Flying in the face of the jesusPhone!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    This is funny tho. I cannot imagine HP spent $1B for a printer OS.

The don't have a clue what they are doing and there is no hope for long term support of TP's and phones unless a real hardware manufacturer gets involved in some way.
    Dan
  10.    #10  
    They need a hardware partner who can get going very quickly, or they will lose more ground. Realistically speaking even if HP get Amazon (or someone else) to buy webOS and build devices, it'll be months before we hear anything, let alone get to touch new devices. Think about how long Windows and Nokia have been baking Windows Phones, all the while HTC continues to gain market share and another iPhone is imminent.

Ideally what would happen is a partner would buy up the remaining stocks of Pre3s (the lot massed up in a warehouse somewhere in the US) and all the unbuilt Touchpad Gos and rebadge them. Get them into the retail channel ASAP cheap to get the early adopters on board and then work hard and fast at getting a few devices into retail.

Back to the printers though, it does make a bit of sense for HP to make printers with webOS while still selling the OS out to other vendors. Get a phone/tab from Amazon (again, could be someone else) and print with HP. It's innovative given HP's experience in printers and it's a safer bet than a whole mobile ecosystem as the printing division already makes a bucket of profit to cover the potential loss.

I'd buy a wireless webOS printer!
    HP should put it on servers as a recovery operating system...

HP Support> So you can't boot Redhat/Windows 2008 on your blade server?
    HP Support> no problem, let's boot from the webOS ROM and recover...

I've recovered a HP blade server using G4L and disk image that we had to ftp from another machine. But no need to boot from G4L (or PXE boot) if there is already a small ROM/flash based webOS image on each server. Plus, if you have something like webOS which is a bit more powerful than G4L, then you have a better chance of fixing your unbootable server OS, rather than just recovering from a backup image.

In the server room you'll find a lot of hardware running some sort of management software, often with a graphical interface... HP LTO Tape Libraries, HP disk arrays, HP Bladesystem Insight Display, so webOS can be used in a lot of things that aren't phones, tablets or printers.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    My bet is printers.

No one will ever fill the printer now. They'll get there to find the tray empty and just play with the birds..... ARGGGGGGG.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex80386 View Post
    HP should put it on servers as a recovery operating system...

HP Support> So you can't boot Redhat/Windows 2008 on your blade server?
    HP Support> no problem, let's boot from the webOS ROM and recover...

I've recovered a HP blade server using G4L and disk image that we had to ftp from another machine. But no need to boot from G4L (or PXE boot) if there is already a small ROM/flash based webOS image on each server. Plus, if you have something like webOS which is a bit more powerful than G4L, then you have a better chance of fixing your unbootable server OS, rather than just recovering from a backup image.

In the server room you'll find a lot of hardware running some sort of management software, often with a graphical interface... HP LTO Tape Libraries, HP disk arrays, HP Bladesystem Insight Display, so webOS can be used in a lot of things that aren't phones, tablets or printers.
    I think that having a server version of webOS would be quite handy, rather than having to use servers and tape libraries that all have different user interfaces. Thing is though, is it robust enough for use in a server. And is it all that necessary? iLO is really good on a server and I can't see sysadmins WALKING to the server room than remote onto the server and control it from there. Unless the network is down.

One the one hand it's not a bad idea. On the other it's a bit of a waste. All the benefits of webOS are stripped away.
    Quote Originally Posted by tinnedfood View Post
    I really hope webOS doesn't become a printer OS! A printer is supposed to work faultlessly. An OS, no matter how nice, will just add to the complexity to the printer ad overdevelop the products.
    Every printer has an software behind it to make it work. I hope too, however, that webos won't be dumbed down to be printer OS only.