1.    #1  
    I live in Canada. I have a reasonably new Pre... and I love it. I was going to upgrade to the Pre 3 with ATT this year but they dropped the line. Now I see Veers on ebay clearing out for under $100. Pre 2's unlocked are still available for $150+ (with web OS 2.0) but the whole Pre market will dry up fast. I don't have the $$$ to buy one of each and the Pre 3's are still selling at a top dollar across the pond with out a plan. What would you do?
    Tx
    Doug
    If I could, I'd grab a Pre 3. Unfortunately, I'm on Verizon so I'm going to have to settle for a Pre 2.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I would most like a verizon Pre 3, but I'm not sure that will happen in the US yet. Too many unknowns. I almost pulled a switch for the ATT veer for 1 cent, but that would have been silly with our verizon family plan. Hated to give up my mobile hotspot on verizon with the Pre +. Free tether seems like a good option, so I bit the bullet and held my nose on an ebay Pre 2.
    Its funny how things work.... I wanted the Pre when it came out on Sprint. Then waited for Verizon to get their version. And then waited even more because I was afraid Palm was going to go bankrupt. The week HP jumped in to buy Palm I was happy enough that my wife and I both got Pre + phones.....what a disaster the wonderful folks at HP have been.
  4. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I just bought a lightly-used Pre 2 to replace my heavily-used Pre- on Bell. It's the Roger's model so I have to unlock it and move it over, but the hopes of a Pre 3 for me are drying up.

I'm going to ride this Pre 2 until HP figures out what the hell they are doing, or a white knight arrives...

...maybe i should get a 2nd Pre 2 ;-)
  5.    #5  
    I think the Veer doesn't even have an ear phone jack, that a minus for me. But the Pre 3 has the biggest screen but a slightly bigger phone too. Not sure if that is better or not. One big thing for me is the font size. I can read the Pre OK but if the font on the Veer is slightly smaller then that could be a deal breaker. If the font on the Pre 3 is slightly larger than the Pre then that will be a deal maker.
    The Pre 2 is all the same as the Pre but has webOS 2.0 and a non glare screen.
    What are other pros and cons????
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    If anyone here had or have a choice between the Pre 2 and the Veer, which would you choose and why? Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I have the Veer and Pre3 (UK version) in the US. Overall the Veer is the better phone for me as it has longer battery life and more apps/homebrew so far...and of course it has UMTS 850 MHz which is key for AT&T 3G here in the states. Still, the Pre3 is a fun phone. I plan to take it on my 6-8x/year trips to Asia. Pre2 looks great except it has no UMTS 2100 MHz band for 3G (which is VOICE in Korea and Japan).
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonb View Post
    If anyone here had or have a choice between the Pre 2 and the Veer, which would you choose and why? Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
    I had the Pre 2 and switched to the Veer. The Pre 2 keyboard is just like the Pre's with the 'gooey' buttons. The Veer's are a lot more clicky and raised which makes it a lot easier to type on. Even though the keyboard is smaller I find typing on my Veer a lot more enjoyable than on the Pre 2.

The biggest drawback for me is the headphone/charging adapter. I have a ton of touchstones but just this Saturday I stayed over at a friend's (unexpectedly) and the Veer didn't stand a chance of staying alive.

The screen is crystal clear, so even though I do more scrolling to see text I do not find the font to be unreadable.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonb View Post
    I'd take the pre2 myself. In the past few weeks I've bought a Veer, a Pre2 and two Pre3s (one AZERTY which I'm using today and one QWERTY which arrives tomorrow). Before that I was using a Sprint feature phone since my Pre- mostly died early this year.

The veer's lower resolution severely limits the number of apps and games you can get on it, I was honestly surprised to see many many more of my apps download to the pre3 than the veer. Also the veer with only 8GB of storage is small compared to pre2 which has 16GB. I haven't counted the apps but just size wise the backup of my apps and games(games are big) Veer has a 100MB backup (uncompressed), Pre2/Pre3/Pre1 are 1-2GB.

I've seen more recently a lot more people complain about bugs on the veer than other WebOS phones, I only used mine for a short time.

The keyboard on the veer was easier to type on than I was expecting(i have big hands so that was a concern I had). Much easier than the pixi or even pixi plus.

The only reason I bought a Veer is because I was changing to AT&T (to use Pre3) and ATT gave it to me for a penny.

Veer has faster network performance than pre2 (I think), and for sure faster than a euro pre3.

The GSM SIM slot is nicer on the veer, very easy to pull the card out, much more difficult on the pre3 and pre2.

Pre2 and Pre3 also have removable batteries if that is important the veer is locked up tight

I plan to use my veer again on occasion when I need a very small light phone.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Thanks you guys for your input. It really helped. I have to be honest that my predilection was towards (and still is) the Pre 2 because of the size of the screen and other pros mentioned by natepre509. I want the device as a backup since I currently have a Pre Plus and don't intend on changing mobile OS for a while so I wanted another device to use after my Pre Plus dies. I like the removable battery option a lot so I can purchase a few batteries and keep also. I am still open to the other option though so if anyone else has input, please feel free to share! However, I do have to make a choice soon since the prices on ebay are climbing.

P.S. Can anyone recommend their frequently used apps. I would like to know what's best to load on my new Pre Plus to make full use of it. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    pre 2, what I got since im on sprint. and im coming froma pixi. I dont like my phones to big. and the pre 2 has great reviews and runs fast.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    @giggles, what cellular devices do you have? Do you have any Android phones or would you move to Android? Just asking...
    Quote Originally Posted by twivey View Post
    I would most like a verizon Pre 3, but I'm not sure that will happen in the US yet. Too many unknowns. I almost pulled a switch for the ATT veer for 1 cent, but that would have been silly with our verizon family plan. Hated to give up my mobile hotspot on verizon with the Pre +. Free tether seems like a good option, so I bit the bullet and held my nose on an ebay Pre 2.
    Its funny how things work.... I wanted the Pre when it came out on Sprint. Then waited for Verizon to get their version. And then waited even more because I was afraid Palm was going to go bankrupt. The week HP jumped in to buy Palm I was happy enough that my wife and I both got Pre + phones.....what a disaster the wonderful folks at HP have been.
    VZW still has the Pre2 online for free after rebate
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    VZW still has the Pre2 online for free after rebate
    Check the marketplace, here at Precentral - many good deals on Pre 2's, bot CDMA and GSM unlocked.

To the OP:

To hedge my bet, I bought an unlocked Pre 2 and an ATT unlocked Pre 3 to replace my Pre+.

Between them both, the one I choose will last for the next 1 - 2 years, at which point I am sure I'll know where WebOS is heading, as well as any other OS's that might become viable options to it (RIM's QNX being a WebOS knockoff comes to mind, along with Mango).

I'm inclined to believe that the Pre 3 will be my weapon of choice, due to its superior CPU and increased overall size, while still providing that portait keyboard. If Mugen makes an enhanced/extended battery for it as suggested in another thread here, that would be even better, but, I have to say, the Pre 2 is one solid device - its the Pre+ in an armored suit on steroids.

I hope that helps.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Love my Veer, love the wifes Pre2, I would like a Pre3 (especially for TTS), but at current prices I am looking at an unlocked Pre2, then dumping the insurance plans on our Veers and keep them as backup devices or for use when we want a smaller phone, just swap in the SIM and go.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I can't for the life of me figure out why AT&T & Verizon aren't going to release the Pre 3. There has to be a fair number of them that were already produced since AT&T at least was just weeks away from intro'ing their TP's & Pre 3 lineup, with the 7 in TP then to be introduced like around the end of this month / start of Oct. They would sell in 2 seconds. I was even contemplating switching from Sprint due to lack of webOS options & I have a great plan & been with Sprint for 13 years....
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    for size i prefer the Pre 2 .. its usable for web browsing and games and everything ... the best of things is the one in middle
    Quote Originally Posted by jmleese View Post
    I can't for the life of me figure out why AT&T & Verizon aren't going to release the Pre 3. There has to be a fair number of them that were already produced since AT&T at least was just weeks away from intro'ing their TP's & Pre 3 lineup, with the 7 in TP then to be introduced like around the end of this month / start of Oct. They would sell in 2 seconds. I was even contemplating switching from Sprint due to lack of webOS options & I have a great plan & been with Sprint for 13 years....
    There must be tens of thousands of US Pre3 rotting in a warehouse somewhere - possibly scheduled for destruction. :-(

My best guess why they weren't sold while the FR, UK and DE versions all eventually appeared on the European market is the carrier-bound mess you have over there.

The European GSM/UMTS Pre3 are HP branded and not bound in any way to a particular carrier. HP can firesale them and people just put in any SIM card of any provider they like.

US Pre3 OTOH are more bound to particular carriers and even branded with their respected labels. HP can't just sell AT&T or Verizon branded phones without their respective agreements. People buying a Verizon branded phone will show up at Verizon shops for warranty issues and other kinds of support.
    And thanks to the brain-dead policy of locking phones to particular providers people aren't free to use them for Sprint either (and Sprint would be even less happy about customers coming in with warranty problems on Verizon branded phones).

So unless Verizon agrees to a deal we'll have to assume that all those Verizon Pre3 are going to be destroyed.

The situation is slightly more hopeful for the AT&T Pre3. HP *could* replace the backsides with HP versions (and throw away or cover-up AT&T branded packaging) and sell them without incurring carrier-wrath (including possible lawsuits). But that would involve a lot of work and cost and the firesale prices are ridiculously low and below-cost anyway. Destruction is probably the cheaper choice for HP. If the AT&T Pre3 ever show up, it will either be due to an agreement with AT&T (unlikely) or as part of a strategy to bolster the platform. The latter would mean that HP found a buyer/partner for webos.

TL;DR: Most of the US Pre3 will likely end up getting destroyed. :-(

IANAL - just my best guess.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5