Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Have anyone ever think why did HTC scored the billions deal with Beats Audio?
    Are they anticipating webOS as their next phone OS?
    webOS is already coded to support Beats Audio hence the possibility this will make it easier for HTC to go ahead with webOS.

    Anyone?
  2. #2  
    The interview with Chou today certainly made it seem like they're quite happy with Android and WinMo.
  3.    #3  
    Do you have a link?
  4. #4  
    Apperently samsung has gotten real scared of the deal. Let's not forget, apple is also fighting to get samsung's products off europe's shelfs.
  5.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Apperently samsung has gotten real scared of the deal. Let's not forget, apple is also fighting to get samsung's products off europe's shelfs.
    To be honest, I prefer Samsung than HTC since their design is better and the screen is brilliant. Look at the Galaxy II screen. Just amazing. I hate HTC because usually their battery life is crap even worse than pre minus.

    Just imagine on one of the unforeseen day, a webOS running on Galaxy-like phone.
  6. #7  
    There's still the big problem: Palm/webOS is the red-headed stepchild of the mobile market. Everyone seems to love the OS, but every company that's tried to make it work (though I'll admit HP didn't really try) has failed.

    If you're going to adopt the OS, how do you get around that albatross?

    I mean, say Samsung announces on Monday that they'll be building devices to host webOS. You'll hear the laughter and derision 100' underground..

    Though I disagree with a lot of folks that putting out a new machine will take a year. A hardware company like Samsung prolly already has a prototype handset running webOS. Heck, if a few engineers managed to shoe-horn it onto an iPad, it can't be that tough.

    Crafting an ad campaign while avoiding the stigma of "cursed webOS" will be a much bigger obstacle.
  7. #8  
    Though everyone roots for the underdog..
  8. #9  
    Could Sammy (or whomever) license the OS, but rename it something else, just changing enough code so they can say it is NOT WebOS?

    Certainly they can change the icons and some functionality so it is slightly different, maybe better?
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  9. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by gguile View Post
    To be honest, I prefer Samsung than HTC since their design is better and the screen is brilliant. Look at the Galaxy II screen. Just amazing. I hate HTC because usually their battery life is crap even worse than pre minus.

    Just imagine on one of the unforeseen day, a webOS running on Galaxy-like phone.
    I agree. It is most likely Samsung to buy or license. HP would have to make some sort of deal with Samaung where they share in investment.
  10. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Could Sammy (or whomever) license the OS, but rename it something else, just changing enough code so they can say it is NOT WebOS?

    Certainly they can change the icons and some functionality so it is slightly different, maybe better?
    If Sammy buys it, yes. But truthfully no one hates WebOS. Just lost faith. And most of the world has no idea what WebOS is. I don't think changing the name will help.
  11. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #12  
    The problem is that while the $99 firesale sale is great in the short-term for boosting numbers, it actively damages the brand equity of WebOS as it becomes fixed in the minds of the public and the tech industry as something that had to be deep-sixed in less than 50 days and the hardware sold off at a loss of maybe $200 per unit. If HP *really* want to licence or sell this, they are going about it in a funny way.

    I think the only reason it has gone down like this is that they have already approached the main players in the market and they said 'no'. It's the only thing that fits with HP's actions.
  12. pangi's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    #13  
    I'm with you. HTC is the 1 after the Beats rumour.
  13. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gguile View Post
    Have anyone ever think why did HTC scored the billions deal with Beats Audio?
    Are they anticipating webOS as their next phone OS?
    webOS is already coded to support Beats Audio hence the possibility this will make it easier for HTC to go ahead with webOS.

    Anyone?
    HP doesn't own Beats though, they're just using software that meets beats specifications. Theres a lot of talk lately on here about Why it makes sense that HTC should buy webOS because of Beats. That's a pretty poor example on why a company should buy another. Htc seems to be happy with android, they also can fall back on windows phone. You should be looking at the smaller guys like Zte and Huawei they have more to gain than HTC would. But even still, I just don't see anyone paying to license webOS.
  14. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by icstars989 View Post
    HP doesn't own Beats though, they're just using software that meets beats specifications. Theres a lot of talk lately on here about Why it makes sense that HTC should buy webOS because of Beats. That's a pretty poor example on why a company should buy another. Htc seems to be happy with android, they also can fall back on windows phone. You should be looking at the smaller guys like Zte and Huawei they have more to gain than HTC would. But even still, I just don't see anyone paying to license webOS.
    It's true that Beats means NOTHING in relation to webOS - HP licensed Beats and now HTC has bought a majority of Beats. That means nothing at all.

    Then again, HTC would have a lot to gain: yes, they've been "happy" with Android (if making slim profits, having to pay patent fees and being in a state of perpetual litigation qualifies as "happy" because they sell a lot of units) but now that Google makes their own hardware through Motorola, a lot of Android OEMs are taking a long, hard look at their future prospects as second-rate OEMs and at their chances to compete with vertical "Motogoogle" products which will doubtlessly have exclusive features or get new features much earlier than any other products.

    ZTE and Huawei will soon be major players in the west if they aren't already - Motorola has sold rebranded Huawei products for a while now (this is very much like another far-eastern company that couldn't sell products in the west for fear of being laughed out of the house as "chinese crap" up until a few years ago and therefore had to let carriers rebrand their phones as "XDAs"... we're talking about HTC of course) - but I doubt you'll see them license webOS right now. There just is no clear value proposition for them because if they were to sell phones in the west now, nobody would buy them: "hahaha it's a kirf!" and their profit margins at home aren't high enough to pay the licensing fee.

    IF we see one or more licensees, they will be more established brands that will be able to move products in the west, making their job a little easier.

Posting Permissions