Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #1  
    I think there are three possible contenders, and one is out there. One -- who I want to buy WebOS -- Samsung. They are being sued up and down by Apple. Then there is HTC. I like HTC but Samsung makes better designs. And then there is ... Google themselves. Imagine Google buying Palm and then using WebOS and incorporating WebOS into Android.

So what do you guys think?
    something224 likes this.
    facebook
    SmartFah and jonnyg like this.
    I'm usually an optimist, but it's very hard for me to see a light at the end of the tunnel on this one. I can only see someone buying webOS for the patents. Even if HP sold off webOS by next month, it would take at least a year before we saw a new webOS device, if not more.

At this point, I would be happy if Apple bought it, and just integrated all the awesome features of webOS into iOS. All I ever really wanted in a device was webOS with the iOS app store and hardware. If Apple bought webOS, and integrated it nicely into iOS, I'd be a happy person.
    I will buy it
    xandros9 and something224 like this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I'm usually an optimist, but it's very hard for me to see a light at the end of the tunnel on this one. I can only see someone buying webOS for the patents. Even if HP sold off webOS by next month, it would take at least a year before we saw a new webOS device, if not more.

At this point, I would be happy if Apple bought it, and just integrated all the awesome features of webOS into iOS. All I ever really wanted in a device was webOS with the iOS app store and hardware. If Apple bought webOS, and integrated it nicely into iOS, I'd be a happy person.
    I know how you feel. But if someone bought Palm they would be able to release the Pre 3. The work is almost done. All they would have to do in my name is rename the device and run with it. People would buy it. The problem with HP is they are complete idiots and they are going down for that to. Hopefully Palm does not go down with them.
    Web OS has brought down two companies. It is cursed.
    Lehman Brothers...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    facebook
    *facepalm*
    xandros9 and tirk like this.
    Maybe we all misunderstood HP. Maybe they didn't want to kill webOS, maybe they just legitimately want out of the hardware business altogether. (Even so, of course, the HOW and WHEN and WITHOUT TELLING HIGH-LEVEL EXECS are pointing to HP sucking big time at management, strategic leadership and public relations - but that's a different story).

If so, that leaves us at this situation:

* Potentially millions of TouchPad units available for $100, Veer and Pre3 in dollar bins.
    * (Enyo/TP) webOS app catalog still bigger than Honeycomb's app store
    * HP no longer making any hardware and concentrating on software and services

HP has been in talks with OEMs about webOS licensing for a while and no matter how destructive the timing of that press release the other day, they may be close to reaching deals but aren't done yet, in which case prudence commands to stay mum.

Now introduce one possible future course of events:

* HP is able to convince one or more of their suitors that they didn't bow out of webOS hardware because they don't believe in webOS anymore, but because they simply want out of the hardware game entirely to focus on their software and services -- including webOS.

The result of that one possible course of events?

* HP announces (to name an example) Samsung as a new hardware partner, possibly in conjunction with Samsung taking over HP's entire PSG, in a month's time.

Now what's the situation?

* Millions of dirt-cheap webOS devices seeding the market? Check.
    * Hardware by respected name-brand manufacturers? Check.
    * HP, now a pure software company, focussing on pure software development without having to care for a hardware sideshow? Check.
    * Still more apps than Honecomb? Check.
    * Big-time news that will make all the developers who abandoned their Enyo projects when they believed webOS was dead pick up where they left off? Check.

The death of webOS may yet turn out to have been greatly exaggerated.

(And yes - this is me hoping here. I just don't want to imagine a world where I can't stack up my apps into logical groups with easy overview and plop my phone down on a Touchstone to charge at night)
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 08/20/2011 at 01:49 PM.
    renater and something224 like this.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I wish they would just give it to the community. There are some great people here who genuinely care about webOS. They also are talented enough to enhance it.
    something224 likes this.
  11.    #11  
    @Godshapedhole Now I do agree that is why no announcement has taken place, but seriously bad timing. And if the deal has not been struck, it might fall apart because the public think HP dropped WebOS -- which is not the case, but it was badly handled. Hopefully Samaung buys Palm from HP because HP obviously lacks intelligence and business know how.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    @Godshapedhole Now I do agree that is why no announcement has taken place, but seriously bad timing. And if the deal has not been struck, it might fall apart because the public think HP dropped WebOS -- which is not the case, but it was badly handled. Hopefully Samaung buys Palm from HP because HP obviously lacks intelligence and business know how.
    I completely agree on the implications of HP stopping hardware manufacturing - but if they are able to prove to a suitor that they are in fact merely giving up hardware altogether, without any plans to stop doing webOS, that manufacturer will know that an announcement of new webOS hardware coming from them will be just as widely received as the HP's announcement that made everybody believe webOS is dead. With TouchPads for sale at $100, lack of existing userbase should not be a problem.

If Samsung bought webOS, I'd say that's a step backwards because it'd leave Samsung where HP was until recently: doing the vertical Apple thing that, it appears, the market only wants to see from Apple. The new owner would, once again, be forced to spend half its time on software and half its time on hardware - a model that is apparently inferior to the old Microsoft and Google model of one company focussing on software and others focussing on hardware.
    If, however, Samsung (and/or HTC, and/or LG, and/or a few others) *licensed* webOS, they could keep focussing on making great hardware while leaving the software question to HP, who will be a pure software company with a division devoted entirely to improving and evolving webOS.

Once again - I realize that from all we know right now, things are looking as glum as they haven't in a while. Then again, we don't know everything and we seriously have no idea what HP is cooking up. For all we know, HP may really intend on simply writing off webOS and all the talk we're hearing is mere chatter.

But I'm of the opinion that if there is a possibility to explain human action (with the exception of romantic affairs) as driven by a rational idea, that explanation is most of the time superior to a competing explanation according to which the human action in question was spontaneous and not driven by any deeper idea. This is doubly true in business.

So HP, while disastrous at public relations and predicting how an ill-timed announcement will tear their stock to shreds, may yet have been acting with a goal in mind and with eyes on the prize and we're just not able to fully acknowledge it because we (as consumers getting our news from blogs) are missing quite a few pieces of the puzzle.

Maybe HP will make webOS the new Android: open to anyone or almost anyone, while Android is becoming something different: an OS with one preferred, vertical manufacturer and a whole gajillion of much cheaper, horizontal OEMs.
    Android would still outsell it, and I fully expect Android to hold 50% of the mobile device market in the medium run, but I don't think you need to dominate a market to be an economically viable platform, and nothing more is required of webOS to stay on the market. They can be third, and still make enough profit to keep on going.

A man can keep dreaming. And who knows? A lot of people have been dreaming, hoping beyond hope, that one day a black man could perhaps become the President of America.
    And despite how unrealistic that has always sounded, a lot of people who have been dreaming that eventually woke up one morning and found that their dream had come true.

I find that to be the single greatest power of dreams: that they can become reality.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 08/20/2011 at 02:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    ...Potentially millions of TouchPad units available for $100, Veer and Pre3 in dollar bins.
    OK, I've seen this a couple of other times on this site. In what universe did HP manufacture "millions" of Touchpads??? I'd be shocked if there were even a million in existance. As for the Veer, nobody has been standing in line to buy those, and the Pre3 has to actually have a carrier to be worth anything.

I appreciate that we'd all like to find a light at the end of this tunnel that isn't an oncomming train...but let's at least try to stay in the realm of reality.
  14.    #14  
    @GodShapedHole You are forgetting that if Samsung bought WebOS, they would also buy thee people behind it. Along with the entire PCS Division of HP. And Samsung is more then capable of letting Palm handle all things software, while their trusted engineers design a new line of products. And people who think it would be a year before we see any products -- not true. Samsung could possibly retain the right to finish the Pre 3 and simply revamp it for WebOS 3.0, rename it and have ot ready for a soft launch in the first half of next year. Not saying that will happen but it is possible.
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Samsung will take over HP's PC division and acquiring Palm and nuking webOS was some hidden agenda requirement to make it all happen, planned years in advance.

It ain't paranoia if it's true.
    +1

I think Samsung has started looking after it's own <hind end> after the Moogle thing

As for licensing the OS think this: Would you trust a company (HP) that is so quick to abandon ship in the sight of declining profits, to be in charge of developing your software?

I wouldn't
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/23/2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: posting around language filter
    purplepansy likes this.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Amazon.

I guess I doubt it, but Ruby is on the board there. And they are retailing gods. They and everyone else have to be watching this fire sale and learning how consumers react to a lower price.

Amazon is alone in that they could downgrade the components slightly, make a tablet they could sell at breakeven for say $250 or so, and market it as an "upgraded" kindle instead of a "downgraded" tablet. And they have an established marketplace to sell on.

Probably unlikely, but I just can't imagine them releasing just another Android tablet, especially post Motorola deal, and from all accounts they are heck-bent on releasing a tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    OK, I've seen this a couple of other times on this site. In what universe did HP manufacture "millions" of Touchpads??? I'd be shocked if there were even a million in existance. As for the Veer, nobody has been standing in line to buy those, and the Pre3 has to actually have a carrier to be worth anything.

I appreciate that we'd all like to find a light at the end of this tunnel that isn't an oncomming train...but let's at least try to stay in the realm of reality.
    I don't know what universe you're from or what news you've been reading, but HP manufactured millions of TouchPads in the universe I live in. That's the same universe where it was widely reported that Best Buy got 275,000 TouchPads and only sold 25,000 of them within the first month.

Are you saying that the news about Best Buy alone having received more than a quarter million units in their first shipment (i.e. only 16 and 32 GB WiFi units) was wrong, thereby implying that the news of the TouchPad having bombed at Best Buy was also wrong because they were, in fact, the same news?

Do you otherwise wish to imply that Best Buy (one retail chain in one country) got a supermajority of the entire global production run?

And that's just talking 16 and 32 GB WiFi units. 64GB TouchPads with *and* without cellular radios exist as well (perhaps not surprisingly, they're already sold out here in Germany), and those were never in Best Buy's inventory.

Veer is completely sold out, as is the Pre3. Carriers aren't all-powerful anywhere outside the USA where you need to take or leave whatever your carrier is ready to graciously offer you. People elsewhere have what you'd call "freedom" in that they're able to take a new phone and put their old SIM card in it.

So as I said, millions of webOS devices in peoples' hands or in the mail, shortly to reach peoples' hands.
    Or, you know, available for $200+ on eBay - but people are buying them at that price. Just go and check if you don't believe me.

Also remember that HP's plan was to sell like 5 million TouchPads through 2011. Can't sell that many if you don't build them. Now I don't know if they actually built that many before they stopped manufacturing them - but even if they stopped the machines after half of the planned production run for 2011 that would make two and a half million TouchPads, plus Veers and Pre3s (although it does seem like they didn't make so many Pre3s).

So if you think that that kind of sales number is a light at the end of the tunnel (your words, not mine), feel free to smile. It's not an oncoming freight train, and it's not a mirage either. It's just a million TouchPads or two - although I'm not sure whether ALL of them were blown out at the firesale. I can believe that tens, if not hundreds of thousands are still in a warehouse somewhere... perhaps Best Buy's warehouse, ready to be shipped back to HP for another firesale, which will probably be sold out as quickly as the first one since a lot of people were sad they couldn't get any in the first firesale. Stuff like that drives up demand.

I'm always happy to bring you back to the realm of reality

<edit> in fact, now that I've backed up my claim with a deduction from reported numbers, would you care to tell us why you would be "shocked if there were even a million in existance"? Is it just pessimism or do you have numbers?
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 08/23/2011 at 05:24 PM.
    At this point, I would be happy if Apple bought it, and just integrated all the awesome features of webOS into iOS.
    Anyone but Apple!!!!
  19. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    The thing about that is that Apple would just pick and choose the bits they wanted, even if the webOS equivalents might be better.

I wouldn't want it to be Apple, Google or Microsoft. Of course, everything I've read points to HP keeping webOS and just selling off the rest of the PSG--which I hope would mean getting the buyer to license webOS and put out phones and tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    I will buy it
    I WIS I ould buy palm and have the funds to support it. I would make make great hardware and great specs too match plus I would implement all or most of the the patches from preware.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast