Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes
    I don't think anyone will buy webos. HP really killed it by just all of the sudden cancelling all devices pretty much out of the blue. Nobody is going to risk buying webos unless they were doing it just for the patents. HP ticked off a lot of customers and that would be hard to get them to come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by ckochinsky125 View Post
    I don't think anyone will buy webos. HP really killed it by just all of the sudden cancelling all devices pretty much out of the blue. Nobody is going to risk buying webos unless they were doing it just for the patents. HP ticked off a lot of customers and that would be hard to get them to come back.
    I agree that HP did p**s off a lot of customers but it's HP that were p**sed at. The OS is still one of the most solid out there. It still rivals iOS and Android. If they build it, they will come. I believe that whom ever decides to buy or license WebOS will have an instant following. I realize that it will take some time to get a few back but overall it's the OS that we would be supporting. All that WebOS needs is someone to build the hardware. Samsung, Motorola, Nokia, HTC. I realize that it might compete with existing software and hardware but it's yet another solid performer just waiting for a chance to shine with someone that can back this OS with decent hardware.
    klx300r likes this.
    The new Apple tv project makes me think that the tv manufacturers are looking at it:
    Panasonic
    LG
    Sony
    who else makes tvs?

Apple TV Effort Is Said to Be Led By ITunes Creator Jeff Robbin - Businessweek
    i don't think anyone will buy it. Not because of HP but because none of the webos products under Palm or HP has sold very well even before they stopped making them. I don't see any company willing to risk billions on something that hasn't historically sold well. My gut says that the last webos phone ever has already been made.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    webOS is dead.

Great in theory, but no one wants it, no one really bought the devices, and the other mobile OS' can slowly roll into similar features with each new update. iOS has the notification center and iCloud, ICS has some webOS like features, even WP7 can do a bit of the cards functionality, and they all have more apps and better HW available.

It could have been possible under HP, but they didn't want to put forth the effort, and I don't believe in third time is the charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by guinny1759 View Post
    It could have been possible under HP, but they didn't want to put forth the effort,.
    to be specific i think HP did not want to spend the money. In addition to issues you mention, i think that is a massive hurdle for anyone buying. I think it limits who is capable of buying it and making it truly successful. I'm sure people on precentral that just love webos would be fine with it just existing and having a very small but loyal following but that's unlikely to mean its profitable. And for a company to pay a ton to build it out, add to the software, build and eco system etc they'll want some certainty of return on their investment. And it's not certain. So i think that expense is a huge deterrent to potential buys even though.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Yes, after all of this drama I also expect complete webOS shutdown. I cant see anyone powerful enough to risk with webOS, and more, I don't see any reason why should someone buy it and take a risk in first place.
    LG, Huawei or ZTE. If anyone is interested in buying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish Berserk View Post
    LG, Huawei or ZTE. If anyone is interested in buying it.
    LG is in trouble ... I doubt it.

I am still wondering why HP wasn't able to do this right. Looks like amateurs at work...
    The idea of Sony buying webOS excites me. Their experience with games and making beautiful products would be much welcome. Plus they know how to price high-performance and great hardware attractively while still retaining a profit.
    Any news on what hp is going to do with webos?
    Uh - HP has announced that webOS is going to be released as open source. It is going to take some time as we have to rejigger all of the source to be open source compliant and replace certain non-OSS components with OSS equivalents (database, for one).

There are more details in various places - search for webOS and OSS
    edc
    HTC and Samsung are going to be very worried about Google/Moto Either of them might be keen.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123