Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By sinime
  • 5 Post By vcsg01
  • 2 Post By cgk
  • 1 Post By APV
  1.    #1  
    Although pre-mature, there has been a lot of talk of HP switching to licensing webOS to hardware manufacturers rather than doing it themselves.

While this sounds great, I believe its flawed. If HP comes out and says that they are "discontinuing webOS device operations" it doesn't matter what way you word it, people will take it as webOS being discontinued. At the very least people will think twice about the platform if they already didn't.

The problem is that if they don't come out and state a clear strategy immediately they WILL lose a large majority of developers. While I don't think you need 90 000+ apps, a larger majority of the public does (thanks to Apple Ads).

So the question becomes why would Samsung, HTC, etc. want to license webOS when a huge marketing aspect of the phone (app-store) would be even more non-existent than it is now.

I Personally think HP wanted webOS to help integrate Synergy across all its products. Remember one of the first things mentioned was a webOS printer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokia_webOS View Post
    So the question becomes why would Samsung, HTC, etc. want to license webOS when a huge marketing aspect of the phone (app-store) would be even more non-existent than it is now.

I Personally think HP wanted webOS to help integrate Synergy across all its products. Remember one of the first things mentioned was a webOS printer?
    They'd want to license ANY platform other than Android because they want options, especially now that Motorola belongs to Google.
    It is questionable however that HP's negotiating position was improved when they said "webOS devices don't make money. Now who wants to build some for us?"

Yeah, that may have been what they wanted initially. A myriad of devices - phones, tablets, printers, PCs, toasters, you name it - all running the same OS. Great idea.
    They just didn't want to invest money into that idea over the course of a few years.
    The problem for HP the entire time is management. They don't have clear leadership and the ability to follow through. WebOS had the bones to take on Windows Phone which is all they needed to do. HP had the money just like Microsoft however they clearly don't k ow how to run an consumer product. Hopefully they sell WebOS to someone who cares about it -- like HTC or Samsung.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I could see HTC or Samsung interested with using Webos. HTC might see Android as more of a liability than Webos that doesn't have any patent infringements, but if Webos does start to grow, I'm sure Apple and other companies will find some patent infringement to throw at them.
    And if the phones were made by 3rd parties, who would buy them?

BTW, can I sue HP for mental pain and suffering?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    And if the phones were made by 3rd parties, who would buy them?

Well, honestly, if the phone was made by 3rd parties, it's probably much better than what HP made. HP has no idea how to make the high end devices. Doesn't matter what your hardcore webOS fan thinks, Veer sucks. TouchPad is fat plastic last year device. And Pre 3 is so uninspired.
    Saying future WebOS phones are DOA assumes that they will in fact arrive. I don't see that happening.

Why would a 3rd party license WebOS when they have Android for free and people will actually buy Android phones.
    How does a company as big as HP take possibly the best mobile operating systems (hardware & app support asside) and run it into the ground like this?

Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    How does a company as big as HP take possibly the best mobile operating systems (hardware & app support asside) and run it into the ground like this?

Nokia did the same thing with Meego.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Saying future WebOS phones are DOA assumes that they will in fact arrive. I don't see that happening.

Why would a 3rd party license WebOS when they have Android for free and people will actually buy Android phones.
    Because they don't want to compete with Google. Google and Motorola combined could rule the Android market place and become unfair. And Windows Phone 7 -- although promising -- has no apps and the apps they so have are overpriced. At least WebOS has apps I want. Don't get me wrong, I like Motorola and I like Google, but LG, Samsung and HTC must be shaking in their boots not knowing what Google is doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Because they don't want to compete with Google. Google and Motorola combined could rule the Android market place and become unfair. And Windows Phone 7 -- although promising -- has no apps and the apps they so have are overpriced. At least WebOS has apps I want. Don't get me wrong, I like Motorola and I like Google, but LG, Samsung and HTC must be shaking in their boots not knowing what Google is doing.
    LG, Samsung and HTC just want to sell phones. Android phones sell, WebOS phones never really have. WP7 isn't selling that well either.

Most of Android is opensource so if HTC et al want to they can create their own version.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    webOS is out there in the public now. People who have never heard of it, now know it by name. It is relevant. While that will surely die off over the next 8-12 months (the absolute soonest I would expect any new hardware), people will still know the name and people will still remember.

If the hardware is what it should be, the right steps in marketing/training are taken, the same tired mistakes arent repeated...I can definitely see webOS as being a real player again.

I also think they need to come out with 2-3 phones at launch. A Flagship slab, a "higher" tier slab, and a pre style with a slider.
    Treo 680, Treo 750, Pre-, Touchpad
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post

Android isn't necissarily free anymore.. Read this article Microsoft Reaps Android Licensing Fees - TheStreet

Also I think that one of the big failures of android is the fact the the manufacturers can custimize it. Speaking as someone that has used htc, samsung, and motorola phones it really bothers me that they are all a little bit different. Plus the manufacturers have found out how much of a pita it is to maintain their custimized version of android in trying to keep up to date with the current software version. Its also frustrating for the user when they see a bunch of new features when the software is updated but the phone maker take 6-12 months to update their handset. I think that the phone makers could save a lot of money if they licensed webos and didn't have to also have a dedicated team working on software developement.

Btw, My touchpad is my first experience with webos and I bought it with the thought that sombody would port android to it. I can tell you now after using it I would never put andoid on it, webos is a great operating system and I think that other people will realize the same thing.
    Jozz, duanedude1, etx and 2 others like this.
    I'm no expert and I hope HTC, Samsung, or some other company with resources, will buy or license webOS, but I think the chances are slim. I think it would make sense for one of these companies to offer a few webOS models alongside their Android phones and really give it a chance (unlike HP). It's just that I don't think they will when their Android phones are selling. Once they pay licensing fees to MS and pay their legal bills for defending the OS, they are probably still making money. If they aren't, we should see them jump ship soon.

Just about anyone who has owned a webOS device knows that this webOS can succeed if it is given a chance. It just needs decent hardware delivered on time, and good marketing. With this, the users and developers will come to the platform in time.

I loved my Pre Plus and recently bought a Pre 2 off contract since my Pre Plus was having some issues (still works as a PDA) and since I won't be getting a Pre 3. I will be eligible for a phone upgrade in a few months and I will see what the future of webOS looks like at that time to help me decide what I should get. If webOS seems to have a future with then I will get another Pre 2 as a backup, if Verizon still has them. If webOS doesn't look like it has a future, I will get an Android. Although I would still be willing to switch back to webOS if it does come back. Some friends have Androids and they are good phones, but I have been spoiled by webOS. I just don't think Apple or Android come close. If I do get an Android phone, I would prefer a Google Motorola with pure Android rather than any of the skins that current Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and LG insist on installing. Also need an unlocked bootloader. It's not homebrew/Preware, but it's something.

Please, HTC, Samsung...somebody, don't make me get an Android!!!
    Last edited by whartpence; 09/01/2011 at 10:31 AM.
    Even a the new low end phones built like today simple Clam Shell phone, Talk text mms web email phone , license it cheap not Nokia or Samsung LG Sony other low end , end points for that matter.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's not going to happen - if we were really really optimistic, we could say there are currently three million WebOS users with a mixture of phones and tablets - that's after two owners, multiple devices and a $99 firesale.

HTC sold 3.5 million android phones in the UK alone without the need for desperate actions.
    Premium1 and SmartFah like this.
    It just doesn't have the base that others have. I mean look at the other manufacturers making phones and selling it at higher prices and still selling like crazy. WebOS was never really marketed that well, most(other than die hards) even knew what it was.
    webOS has always suffered from a combination of lack of multiple form factors, and primarily being on a form factor that has a more limited appeal (though one I personally like). What HP should do, instead of losing all the money and investment they put into this platform, is contract HTC to make the phones for them. Apparently, the biggest issue in getting all of the new phones was the fact that they lacked enough capability in the hardware division to get new phone designs vetted and rolled out. Apparently the Pre 3 took so long because they were having problems getting the phone's core functions to work properly.

If HP had been able to release 2 or 3 more phones, with different form factors, during the past 6 months I don't think they would be in this position right now. What they should do is take their conceptual designs, at least 3 or 4 new form factors (2 different sized slabs, horizontal slider, and a Pixi replacement (larger screen, glass, and a powerful CPU, instead of make it weak)), and get HTC to build the actual phones. Let a real phone manufacturer deal with all the grimy details. They could offer HTC a patent umbrella to get a good deal on the phones, and then allow HTC to have their name on the phone along with HP. People know HTC and would be more willing to pick up their latest phones and try them. Quite frankly, if HP hasn't thought about this, then they are really lacking any brains in the leadership ranks.
  19. APV
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I honestly think that in order for webOS to succeed, it needs to be completely re-written. (It's still using a bit of the original Pre code if I remember right, and doesn't support any sort of powerful processor, comared to phones coming out now and in a few years.)

Really the only thing it's good for is all of the patents or whatnot that it carries with it. Everything else would probably be changed, including the name.

If it is rewritten though, I want it to be made open for any manufacturer to use, (after it has enough time to incubate.) With it's refresh, it should have support built-in to the OS, (and every API developers could possibly use,) to be able to scale and change dpi to fit nearly any device. This also means an app that works on a 3.6" 480x800 screen will also work on a 16" 1920x1090 touchscreen laptop.

Oh yeah, and webOS should also be made available on laptops, as some sort of "quick-start" os. Not to replace Windows. Unless there are dedicated webOS laptops. Keyboard and mouse support should be in every version as well... (When you hook your smartphone to your television you could use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with it, for example.) This means it can also work on computers, like I said it should have before.

IDK... Just some thoughts. Not much really...

If some manufacturer DOES indeed do this, I think they should make it a seperate division, that focuses on only making one new AMAZING phone refresh per year, and makes it the best phone possible, instead of making a new device for it every two weeks and they are all mediocre. This would be the flagship webOS phone device, the best possible. Mediocre devices would be for any other manufacturer to make. Then, like the phone, only have one new awesome flagship webOS tablet every year, while making it the best possible. For computers, the software just needs to rock, and a lot of computers need to be supported.

There. :-/
    Last edited by APV; 10/24/2011 at 06:17 PM.
    joen05 likes this.