Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By netwrkr9
  • 2 Post By Planesdragon
  • 1 Post By SmartFah
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Just got off the phone with Sprint Executive Account management trying to cancel my Pre- line. The account manager went off on a side-chat telling me about all the other technologies (RIM, Android, tablets, WP7 etc in general). But then he didn't know that there was an HP Veer that was already on AT&T.

Overall he regained credibility with the chat as he was very open about all phones, form factors, etc. He owned a Centro among other Palm phones and said he was waiting for a Pre- follow-up that never came before he could get a WebOS phone because of the returns he saw. Now he has an Evo 3D.

We talked tablets and he didnt have any direct knowledge of Touchpad but did say that WebOS was great for tablets and phones. He mentioned how Playbook is available but how their OS doesn't work well on Blackberry phones.

He says that he was told there is a production problem and new WebOS phones (Pre3) weren't coming to any carriers until the end of this month. Digging deeper, it sounds like the Pre3 as he was not familiar with Veer and says the build would be the same size/style as the Pre-. I asked why no announcements from Sprint and he says that it was HP's decision not to go to Sprint first. He mentioned how Apple got the iPhone and then Verizon got it but wanted T-Mobile and Sprint locked out. Then discussed how T-Mobile was acquired by AT&T and in essence Sprint is locked out. He stopped short of calling it a monopoly but did mention that the Baby Bells were broken up for a reason and its happening over again.

Lastly, he did say that Sprint has experience with other phones that didnt sell well and/or had build quality issues and said they have not stopped dealing with those manufacturers. In particular he referenced the Samsung Hero as another phone that had build issues and Samsung is still at Sprint.

Anyway, the conclusion of the call is that he said my phone wont be turned off until August 4th (billing cycle) and that if the new WebOS phone drops I can cancel the shutoff.

He acknowledged that Dan email would be good if there are ideas on how to improve Sprint or what products we want to see.

I know that there are a lot of "rumor" posts out there and I still cancelled my line cause I am tired of waiting on Sprint. I moved to a Veer when it came out and will move my wife in October when she is eligible. Just thought I would share a little bit of my experience with Sprint in case there is anyone looking for info like I have been.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Like I said. . .RUMOR. Nothing is ever promised or consistent so glad I made the move to the VEER and AT&T for the phone I wanted and not for WebOS particularly or the carrier specifically.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarHorn79 View Post
    ...Lastly, he did say that Sprint has experience with other phones that didnt sell well and/or had build quality issues and said they have not stopped dealing with those manufacturers. In particular he referenced the Samsung Hero as another phone that had build issues and Samsung is still at Sprint....

I can see where this has happened. Another phone that had tremendous issues with Sprint was the 1st HTC TouchPro. Everyone I knew that had that phone had issues with it. It was so bad that if you called or went to a Sprint store to complain about it, they just replaced it without even really looking at it. They eventually picked up the Touch Pro 2, and now HTC Android phones & WP7 phones, so I can believe that they will one day work with HP/Palm again. However, after today's story from This is My Next, It's not likely that Sprint will get the Pre 3.
    so it's a no no for pre 3 on sprint? For sure?
    #?
    I am not saying I believe it but webosroundup has an article up saying no webos devices will be going to sprint. They say the info is from a credible source. That is why I posted "what if the Pre 3 does not come to Sprint" in the Pre 3 forum.
    Well we've all seen the articles and posts that claim that credible sources are telling them that webOS phones are not coming/coming to Sprint. I don't get excited or upset because they are what they are, RUMORS people. It's kind of funny to see people put up these very emotional posts on these unfounded rumors. Until there is documentation with a Sprints or HP letterhead on top, I am holding judgment, plain and simple.
    RoverNole likes this.
    I am not saying I believe it but webosroundup has an article...
    Neither WebOS roundup, nor Precentral, nor CNet have an article claiming that Sprint won't get the Pre3. What they have is pointers to a site I've never heard of that says they have a trusted source that says Sprint won't get the Pre 3. If i wanted to get a bunch of easy pageviews to a new news site, I'd take a wild guess on a story like that too.

Here's the simple fact: the Pre 3 hasn't launched yet. When it launches, I'll expect either Sprint to say "We're getting it!" or for them to say "We're getting a webOS device in the next 6 months" or "we're not getting WebOS."

And if Sprint doesn't get the Pre 3, and doesn't announce a new WebOS phone when it launches, I'll do what yo should do: either moving my personal phone from WebOS to Android, or, if AT&T has a comparable plan, moving to AT&T.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    RoverNole and oceanrealm like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    Neither WebOS roundup, nor Precentral, nor CNet have an article claiming that Sprint won't get the Pre3. What they have is pointers to a site I've never heard of that says they have a trusted source that says Sprint won't get the Pre 3. If i wanted to get a bunch of easy pageviews to a new news site, I'd take a wild guess on a story like that too....

I think before you quickly dismiss the site, maybe you should Google search the editors, or ask around. They all have pretty solid track records in Tech Journalism. Also Deter Bohn, the former Editor in Chief here at Precentral / Smartphone Experts left here to go work with the crew at that site you never heard of. Since those guys have been pretty accurate in the past with stories from trusted sources, I'd say it's a safe bet that Sprint won't be getting the Pre 3.

Even before this announcement, it's been looking pretty slim that Sprint would be getting the Pre 3 anyway.
    crucian4 likes this.
    I think Sprint doesn't want the Pre name &waiting on a new

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express
    Phone to be released, like a slab phone rumored for Sprint.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express
    The title on your post is very misleading
    give me slab