Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1.    #1  
    Can webOS run in another hardware? I've read some articles where the new (still not released) NOKIA N9 runs ANDROID... wouldn't it be cool if instead of meeGo OS it could run webOS? Think about it, not button at all doesn't remember anything to you? or gestures? (i mean swipe) Is this even possible?
    I used to run ANDROID on my jailbroken iPhone and was terrible, trying to replace all the search, menu, back, home buttons with the power, home and volume buttons is just a painful experience... imagine ANDROID in a device with no buttons at all :S otherwise with webOS would suit just perfect don't you think?
  2. #2  
    Short answer "No".

    Long answer, webOS is not an open OS, HP is not even licensing it at this point in time (if it did, Dell Venue Pro with webOS would be my ideal form factor and they could put HTC EVO3D innards in it to make it easier to port webOS).

    There has been some talk by Jon Rubenstein about licensing to manufacturers that bring something unique to the platform but it has been all talk so far. Putting webOS on non-Palm hardware at this point in time is illegal AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $as$ $it$ $will$ $require$ $some$ $sore$ $of$ $reverse$ $engineering$. $IF$ $you$ $put$ $webOS$ $on$ $that$ $same$ $hardware$ ($innards$) $as$ $a$ $Pre2$ $then$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $get$ $anything$ $extra$ $and$ $lose$ $soem$ $functionality$ $as$ $webOS$ $requires$/$expects$ $a$ $gesture$ $area$ $not$ $available$ $on$ $other$ $phones$ $and$ $a$ $physical$ $keyboard$ ($not$ $always$ $available$).

    There was an effort to put webOS on a droid but it is similar hardware to Pre - and would not get you anything new.
  3. #3  
    Coming back to N9 with webOS, it might have a better camera than Pre3 and you might like the form factor better but otherwise Pre3 is actually a better device. Nokia N9 hardware is similar to Palm Pre2 (with a better higher res screen and camera).
  4. lactose's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    #4  
    My perfect smartphone would be WebOS on some really nice hardware. Maybe a 4" screen version of the pre 3. Unfortunately Nokia is about to learn what happens to companies that partner with Microsoft. (Ford just learned a hard lesson !). You have wonder what those executives are smoking, they must be idiots. Well, Mango does look decent, now that they are copying WebOS
  5. bnceo's Avatar
    Posts
    533 Posts
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by naokrei View Post
    Can webOS run in another hardware? I've read some articles where the new (still not released) NOKIA N9 runs ANDROID... wouldn't it be cool if instead of meeGo OS it could run webOS? Think about it, not button at all doesn't remember anything to you? or gestures? (i mean swipe) Is this even possible?
    I used to run ANDROID on my jailbroken iPhone and was terrible, trying to replace all the search, menu, back, home buttons with the power, home and volume buttons is just a painful experience... imagine ANDROID in a device with no buttons at all :S otherwise with webOS would suit just perfect don't you think?
    Hah. A dreamer. Answer: no
  6.    #6  
    Just a dream dude... But it was a beautiful dream
    Have u heard something about licensing webOS to SAMSUNG? (just something I read today)
  7. #7  
    Why are all of you saying no?

    Here is an article which has 3 images, one where the N9 is sporting ugly old Android, and the ever so beautiful WP7. Who's to say WebOS couldn't work on that baby?
  8.    #8  
    Being possible or not ain't it funny to dream or imagine what device could suit webOS?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Coming back to N9 with webOS, it might have a better camera than Pre3 and you might like the form factor better but otherwise Pre3 is actually a better device. Nokia N9 hardware is similar to Palm Pre2 (with a better higher res screen and camera).
    N9 also has better GPS and Maps, and app-switching. Notification system seems fairly robust as well. Closest to webOS so far. It will also likely have the ability to install Android apps.

    The only thing the Pre3 has over this is the hardware keyboard.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokia_webOS View Post
    N9 also has better GPS and Maps, and app-switching. Notification system seems fairly robust as well. Closest to webOS so far. It will also likely have the ability to install Android apps.

    The only thing the Pre3 has over this is the hardware keyboard.
    it's a shame N9 is the first and last meego device... i really cannot believe they are getting rid of such a great OS and replacing with windows :S
    I'd really prefer (again) the webOS partnership with NOKIA instead of SAMSUNG (as rumored)
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokia_webOS View Post
    N9 also has better GPS and Maps, and app-switching. Notification system seems fairly robust as well. Closest to webOS so far. It will also likely have the ability to install Android apps.

    The only thing the Pre3 has over this is the hardware keyboard.
    How does Nokia have better GPS? and app switching on webOS is arguably better than meego/maemo hermattan. Ovi maps ARE better than default bing or google maps but that is not a feature that alone sells a device otherwise garmin phone would have been the most popular phone.

    What Nokia N9 has over Pre IMHO are the following features:

    - Better Screen (3.9" Gorilla glass AMOLED display Vs 3.58" regular LCD display)
    - Better camera (8 MP, Carl Zeiss optics, dual LED flash Vs 5 MP single led flash)
    - More RAM (1Gb vs 512 MB on the Pre 3)

    This next feature is arguably in favor of N9:

    - World Phone (Quadband 2G and Pentaband 3G (GSM) Vs Quad band 2G and Dual band 3G (900/2100) + CDMA 800/1900)

    What Pre3 has over Nokia N9:

    - Better Processor (1.4GHz snapdragon S2 Vs 1 GHz Cortex A8)
    - Better Graphics Co-processor (high speed Adreno 205 Vs SGX530) Adreno 205 is about 2+ time more powerful than SGX 530
    - Hardware Keyboard
    - front facing camera
    - arguably more developer support
  12. #12  
    In theory it could work, but I believe nobody in the hobbyist community has the time and resources to do it. But I too like the N9 and especially its MeeGo OS
  13. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    In theory it could work, but I believe nobody in the hobbyist community has the time and resources to do it. But I too like the N9 and especially its MeeGo OS
    It will be a collectors edition, Nokia will push it out in a couple of countries for a couple of weeks, fulfil their contractual obligation and we'll never see it's likes again.
  14.    #14  
    Sorry for the poor Photoshop skills... but just couldn't resist to see how it would look like...
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by naokrei View Post
    Sorry for the poor Photoshop skills... but just couldn't resist to see how it would look like...
    :S where's my profile picture??
  16. cvp
    cvp is offline
    cvp's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    #16  
    and its possible to take Meego with N9 UI on Pre 3 ?
  17. #17  
    N9 and pre3 were my favorite phones for 2011, great design and great OS.

    Too bad both will be discontinued. Hopefully N9 will launch in my country and I will get the chance to play with it in a store.
  18. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by barenomore View Post
    N9 and pre3 were my favorite phones for 2011, great design and great OS.

    Too bad both will be discontinued. Hopefully N9 will launch in my country and I will get the chance to play with it in a store.
    ditto.
    Mediocrity seems to win.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  19. dunivanm
    dunivanm's Avatar
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Why are all of you saying no?

    Here is an article which has 3 images, one where the N9 is sporting ugly old Android, and the ever so beautiful WP7. Who's to say WebOS couldn't work on that baby?
    Porting/reverse-engineering hardware drivers/firmware/modules is hard enough, but the N9 is very hard to come byŚNokia is making sure it only releases it in markets that won't make the phone a success. And webOS's complete source code is needed to create the custom image (hazy here) parts of which are not open source.

    It would have be nice to see HP/Palm release an N9/iPhone 4 'esk phone when they were releasing the Pixi, Veer, Pre 2, and Pre 3... But right now HP could donate all of webOS to the Free Software Foundation and have webOS freed for everyone's use, modification, and redistribution.

    I think the board is going to fire the CEO and stay with Palm and webOS, so maybe I will see a non-physical keyboard webOS phone.
  20. Fatfool's Avatar
    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #20  
    Meego is fine. In fact, it's the only other phone OS I've been impressed about even after the general feeling that nokia's symbian was crap.

    It's like trying to load Android onto the touchpad. What's the point?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions