Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barenomore View Post
    Hopefully N9 will launch in my country and I will get the chance to play with it in a store.
    It will be launched in mine...on contract and unlocked. (In fact, there is no such thing as a simlock on any local phone as mandated by law)

That gives me an idea though. The killing I can make on ebay with the N9's limited launch and sim locks everywhere else...
    Meego is closely related to maemo which has been around since 2005 (yes, Nokia had an internet tablet back in 2005) and has a strong homebrew community at maemo.org:
    maemo.org - maemo.org: Home of the Maemo community

Meego applications use the Qt Giu framework so Symbian Qt apps can be ported to meego. Even though the N9 is thought to be the last meego phone from Nokia, at least it's backed by a company that is still in the mobile devices business... and it might not be the last Nokia linux phone either:
    Nokia Aims Software at Low-End Phones - WSJ.com
    Quote Originally Posted by colen219 View Post
    Nokia N9 a perfect Smartphone. very good!
    It is really neat. But still as proud TP user which never did get Pre3 I keep dreaming that I can boot webos on my N9. WebOS is soon opensource Duh, I hope I would have skills to start that kind of project..
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Doesn't the N9 have the same SoC as the Pre2? There might be hope after open-source to get it on there but functionality is a different question.
    I am thinking that by putting out Windows Phone on the same hardware platform as N9, Nokia sort of "reserved the right" to back out from a possible flop with Microsoft, perform OTA updates from WP7 to MeeGo and call it a day. The factory may still be running and making the same hardware...
    Nokia's all in with WP7, there's no backing out. They've killed Meego worse than HP tried to kill webOS. They have no fallback option, unless they want to switch to Android (ehhh...)
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Exactly how they "killed" MeeGo? Erased from their servers and all backups?
    Exterminated everyone who could develop, improve or test the next MeeGo?
    They may discredit the idea but even this has not been done.
    They "killed it" by making the N9 the one and only Meego phone. They killed it by going all in with WP7.

Sure, Meego's not actually "dead," but it's not far from zombie either. Nokia's bet their future on WP7. If they and Microsoft can't make it succeed, Nokia ends.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I have a different view here.
    By making only one N9 phone, the are limiting MeeGo deployment and risks associated. They also reduce effort. Apple had done the same in 2007.
    By going "all in"...wait, they don't "go all in" - they still have Symbian, S40, that new thing they recently bought, MeeGo...WP7 is "new" in same way as MeeGo was. It's just commonly shared external view that seems to please Nokia's CEO. If WP7 flops, Nokia still has enough market share to try something new (MeeGo or even webOS). My worry so far has been that they have too many things, not too little.

The most important aspect here is not how many phones or OSes a company has, but whether it attracts, pleases and keep the right sort of engineering folk. Nokia has got brilliant hardware engineers and designers, and now with departure of OPK who was stuck in the 80s, they seems to be more adequate with software, too.

N9 is the best thing that happened to Nokia for many years, in fact since N95.
    There has never been a better time to buy a Nokia.

Elop wants to swipe it under carpet, the news is that Nokia is finally good enough to stand on it's own merit. Too late, you say? Well, same true for WP7. It's just that MS may have deeper pockets, and just...persevere for few years - like they did with Xbox.

As for "zombie" - hm, can't be a zombie if you have not died...and it's still a current system.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubeover View Post
    I am thinking that by putting out Windows Phone on the same hardware platform as N9, Nokia sort of "reserved the right" to back out from a possible flop with Microsoft, perform OTA updates from WP7 to MeeGo and call it a day. The factory may still be running and making the same hardware...
    I wish it were true, but from my understanding, while the case appears to be the same, the hardware inside the WP7 phones are quite different. E.g. the chipsets.

Nokia N9 --> TI OMAP 3630 with 1GHz Cortex A8 CPU, PowerVR SGX530 GPU
    Nokia Lumia 800 --> Qualcomm MSM8255 Snapdragon with 1.4 GHz Scorpion, Adreno 205 GPU

Nokia Lumia 800 vs. Nokia N9 - GSMArena.com

That is not to say that you couldn't modify MeeGo or any O/S to run on the Nokia 800, but it isn't just going to be plug and play.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex80386 View Post
    I wish it were true, but from my understanding, while the case appears to be the same, the hardware inside the WP7 phones are quite different. E.g. the chipsets.

Nokia N9 --> TI OMAP 3630 with 1GHz Cortex A8 CPU, PowerVR SGX530 GPU
    Nokia Lumia 800 --> Qualcomm MSM8255 Snapdragon with 1.4 GHz Scorpion, Adreno 205 GPU

Nokia Lumia 800 vs. Nokia N9 - GSMArena.com

That is not to say that you couldn't modify MeeGo or any O/S to run on the Nokia 800, but it isn't just going to be plug and play.
    I haven't verified it myself but a close friend and respected developer told me last night that the Lumia 800 (and 900 by the way) both have the exact same processor and core hardware specs as the Pre 3 but with better screens and camera(s). So once webOS is available open source he is going to attempt a port of webOS to one or both of those devices.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This is interesting! I'm currently using a Lumia 800 myself (I used to have a Pre 2). It would be nice to be able to dual boot and be in the wild of webOS again, even if im not using it as my primary OS.
    Not sure if anyone has mention it. Argos is selling the Lumia 800 for just under £120
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by idiotboxxer View Post
    Not sure if anyone has mention it. Argos is selling the Lumia 800 for just under 120
    It was an error and they cancelled all orders.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12