Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51
Like Tree1Likes
  1. mafu6's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    #41  
    landscape slide out keyboard like the HTC Pro 7
    4 inch touch screen
    named HP Prodigious
  2. ahitz's Avatar
    Posts
    412 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #42  
    How about slicing off the corners for a BSG-style aesthetic and less ripped pants?
  3. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #43  
    There's a reason that the majority of phones (really ALL) out there have a gentle curve to most edges. It provides the least resistance for pocket-ability but also help distribute force when dropped and feels good in your hand.

    When designing something like this you have to take into account how it's going to be used (and misused). Things like ergonomics when it sits in someone's hand, how it feels against someone's face, to how easily it goes into or out of purses, pants, holsters, backpacks. You also have to think about what it's going to look like after some mistreatment.

    This design is going to fail on several fronts both in hand comfort, storage, and durability. The device WILL get dropped and those sharp corners can become a weapon. Once dropped on a solid surface they'll deform or worse crack and break off. You have to look at shapes that will distribute force and reduce the likelihood of a catastrophic failure after a minor fall.

    Are you using Photoshop to create your mocks? I would suggest getting Blender to do more detailed 3d renders. Not that Photoshop is bad but I think you'll have more control of some of the finer details with less effort if you use a dedicated 3d app. If you want to stick with a 2d tool you could also try Inkscape. It's reasonably easy to learn and free and I've seen some amazing work done with it.
  4. cainhunpi's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
       #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    There's a reason that the majority of phones (really ALL) out there have a gentle curve to most edges. It provides the least resistance for pocket-ability but also help distribute force when dropped and feels good in your hand.

    When designing something like this you have to take into account how it's going to be used (and misused). Things like ergonomics when it sits in someone's hand, how it feels against someone's face, to how easily it goes into or out of purses, pants, holsters, backpacks. You also have to think about what it's going to look like after some mistreatment.

    This design is going to fail on several fronts both in hand comfort, storage, and durability. The device WILL get dropped and those sharp corners can become a weapon. Once dropped on a solid surface they'll deform or worse crack and break off. You have to look at shapes that will distribute force and reduce the likelihood of a catastrophic failure after a minor fall.

    Are you using Photoshop to create your mocks? I would suggest getting Blender to do more detailed 3d renders. Not that Photoshop is bad but I think you'll have more control of some of the finer details with less effort if you use a dedicated 3d app. If you want to stick with a 2d tool you could also try Inkscape. It's reasonably easy to learn and free and I've seen some amazing work done with it.
    Thank you for your feedback, this design is actually not a production one, I made this for someone that wanted a pure "box/Monlith" design for a phone, and I made it as he described it. I'll be making another design soon, one that I can actually see being used. As for the 3d app, I have mudbox and 3dsmax from autodesk. mudbox is for modeling and 3dsmax more for rendering the model with lights and etc. I just dont know how to use those apps as much as photoshop, I am learning tho. Illustrator would actually better than photoshop because of the vector. ( I think that who ever does the "concepts" for HP uses illustrator or some other vector based program. )
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    Are the dimensions of the phone a ratio of 1x4x9?
    If anyone were to make a perfectly 1:4:9 monolith phone, I'd be forced to immediately pre-order 10 units even though I don't like slab phones.
  6. #46  
    I think I'd appreciate a slab with webOS...but it would need to be a bit more rounded, like many of the HTC phones out there. They have a more organic design which is appealing to me. I'm not a huge fan of the iPhone 4 or any other phone that has too industrial a design. I just don't tend to think of beauty as being industrial and square w/ too many straight lines. CURVES are BEAUTIFUL lol.
  7. #47  
    everyone gets the 2001 Space Odyssey reference right?
  8. #48  
    ya think?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  9. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by cainhunpi View Post
    Thank you for your feedback, this design is actually not a production one, I made this for someone that wanted a pure "box/Monlith" design for a phone, and I made it as he described it. I'll be making another design soon, one that I can actually see being used. As for the 3d app, I have mudbox and 3dsmax from autodesk. mudbox is for modeling and 3dsmax more for rendering the model with lights and etc. I just dont know how to use those apps as much as photoshop, I am learning tho. Illustrator would actually better than photoshop because of the vector. ( I think that who ever does the "concepts" for HP uses illustrator or some other vector based program. )
    Cool.

    Illustrator is good, quirky and frustrating at times. I like Inkscape much better. Not quite as full featured but free and pretty straight forward.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    Cool.

    Illustrator is good, quirky and frustrating at times. I like Inkscape much better. Not quite as full featured but free and pretty straight forward.
    Once you get used yo Illustrator there's nothing like it. I like your mock ups by the way but I prefer curves a little more
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodWulf View Post
    Oh my God.. It's full of stars...
    Was thinking the same thing. That and Mr. Bowman would like his phone back now. He calls it HAL I believe.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions