1.    #1  
    I believe that wallpaper resolution for the Touchpad should be 1024x1024.
    you're right, I wonder why this forum is still setup as 1024 x 768

google search wallpaper with resolution 1024 x 1024 and you'll find several made for ipad that works perfect on touchpad.
    wallpaper - Google Search
    Quote Originally Posted by pareinai View Post
    I believe that wallpaper resolution for the Touchpad should be 1024x1024.
    Not really. The default wallpapers are 1024x1024 and then stretch to either 1024x768 or 768x1024 depending on orientation of the TP. If you mainly use the TP in one orientation or the other then use 1024x768 (landscape mode) or 768x1024 (portrait mode) to prevent the image from being stretched and looking funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Not really. The default wallpapers are 1024x1024 and then stretch to either 1024x768 or 768x1024 depending on orientation of the TP.
    That's incorrect. They get cropped, not stretched.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That's incorrect. They get cropped, not stretched.
    Either way 1024x768 is what it actually uses.
    I have resized and loaded all my wallpapers at 1024x768 landscape.. and in portrait there is no distortion or stretching, simply a zoom 'enlargement'.

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Either way 1024x768 is what it actually uses.
    In landscape it displays a 1024x768 section from the middle of the image.
    In portrait it displays a 768x1024 section from the middle of the image.

To have an image that fills the screen in both orientations the image must be 1024x1024.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    In landscape it displays a 1024x768 section from the middle of the image.
    In portrait it displays a 768x1024 section from the middle of the image.

To have an image that fills the screen in both orientations the image must be 1024x1024.
    It does do some resizing. For instance, I use 1024x768 wallpapers because I use landscape 95% of the time. When I rotate it it actually ZOOMS IN (sorry I said stretch earlier) so that the whole image is 1365x1024, THEN it displays the center 768x1024 in portrait. If it didn't do this then it would leave black space at the top and bottom, which it does not. Also you can see the image actually get bigger doing this.
    Just FYI, 1024x1024 is the correct size. Any device that has multiple orientations should always be a 1:1 square, every side matching whatever the largest dimension of the screen is. If you do it 1024x1024, then there is no resizing and thus no loss of quality no matter which way you turn it. If you do 1024x768, then the 768 pixels are blown up to cover 1024 pixels when in portrait mode, and it degrades quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboladdade View Post
    Just FYI, 1024x1024 is the correct size. Any device that has multiple orientations should always be a 1:1 square, every side matching whatever the largest dimension of the screen is. If you do it 1024x1024, then there is no resizing and thus no loss of quality no matter which way you turn it. If you do 1024x768, then the 768 pixels are blown up to cover 1024 pixels when in portrait mode, and it degrades quality.
    I guess it's just a preference. I don't like my wallpaper cropped in landscape which I use almost 100% of the time.
    I guess it's just a preference. I don't like my wallpaper cropped in landscape which I use almost 100% of the time.
    That's why you design wallpapers with the specific intent of being cropped either on the sides, or at the top and bottom, depending on which orientation you're in. At 1024x768, your wallpaper is going to be cropped and zoomed/degraded in portrait mode. Why not have a pixel-accurate wallpaper at all orientations?
    An alternate way of getting pixel-accurate wallpaper is using 768x768 photos. I made a set of wallpapers at various resolutions so that you can see just how and when the TouchPad decides to zoom a wallpaper depending upon its orientation.
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    An alternate way of getting pixel-accurate wallpaper is using 768x768 photos.
    Okay but then you have gray bars on the sides. Why would anyone prefer this? Is that really better than filling up the space with a 1024x1024 image and having two edges of the image hidden?
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboladdade View Post
    Okay but then you have gray bars on the sides. Why would anyone prefer this? Is that really better than filling up the space with a 1024x1024 image and having two edges of the image hidden?
    Like I said it's all about preference and the specific image. If the image is a landscape or some abstract then cropping may not make any difference. If the image is a person's face cropping would look stupid. In that case using a resolution that doesn't crop in your preferred orientation may be more desirable.
    This isn't hard.

If you use a 768 x 768 image, you have all your content displayed, but with grey bars on the sides or top. It is 1-to-1 pixel mapping, so the detail is 100%.

If you use a 1024 x 768 image, it is upscaled to fit in portrait. The detail is not 1-to-1. This is like viewing 720p on a 1080p television - some cannot tell the difference, or it doesn't bother them. For me the detail is still pretty good. Also, after scaling content is cropped at the left and right. In fact, more content is lost from a scaled 1024 x 768 image in portrait than a cropped 1024 x 1024 image. This isn't a good solution for everyone, especially people wanting their backgrounds to look super sharp, or people who have pixel-art backgrounds like eboy. This is because in portrait, the height is scaled to 1365. Since it is rounded down from 1365.33333, pixel art doesn't look as good upscaled.

If you use a 1024 x 1024 image, you will have beautiful 1-1 pixel mapping on all of your screen on both orientations. The only downside is that content is chopped off depending on the orientation.

For me, the best is 1024 x 1024. Just have your images be to where the center 768 x 768 of the image contains all the content that is must see. Meaning if you have a family portait and someones head is not in the center box, think about editing your photo.

See attached:
    1024 demo.jpg

As you can see, most of the content is displayed at 100% quality. This works for the majority of backgrounds and is why you see alot of 1024 x 1024 backgrounds on the net.
    This topic has come up many many times
    It's a personal preference and we chose to label this forum this way on purpose. The native resolution of the TouchPad is 1024x768, and in landscape mode that size wallpaper works the best as it won't get stretched (not everyone will agree, so for those who dont just use 1024x1024) - It really doesn't matter. The larger size will simply get cropped on the edges to fit. It really boils down to which orientation do you use the most (portrait or landscape) as to which wallpaper size you choose to use more. I use landscape 95% of the time, so I go with the larger resolution images so they don't have to stretch and look better.