webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  TouchPad Patches > [Patch] Cycling Email Notifications
[Patch] Cycling Email Notifications
Like Tree15Likes

Old 01/03/2013, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Here's something I've been working on recently. This patch allows new mail notifications to automatically cycle to the next one so you can see the entire stack before dismissing the ones you don't care about. It's sort of like an answer to this patch request, but you don't swipe to see the next notification; you just wait: [patch request] cycle email notifications This is a preview patch, which means the basic idea has been implemented, but it's not quite finished to the level I'd like it. Currently there is no visual feedback when the notification changes, other than the text is different. The automatic cycling interval is set statically to 5 seconds. You may change it near the end of the patch if you'd wish. I plan to have the dashboards animate when they cycle, and have the cycling interval adjustable in Tweaks.

Now available on Preware.

Updated: Now also available for phones! webOS 2.1.0 and 2.2.4, maybe any version >=2.1; PM me if you need it for a different version. May not be compatible with Sconix patch.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor

Last edited by GMMan; 03/07/2013 at 11:28 PM.
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, OldSkoolVWLover, Pilotovef and 6 others like this.
Old 01/04/2013, 01:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oh nice

It's one of the patches laingman requested... i'm sure it'll be a nice surprise when he logs in next time
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 01/04/2013, 05:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Here's something I've been working on recently. This patch allows new mail notifications to automatically cycle to the next one so you can see the entire stack before dismissing the ones you don't care about. It's sort of like an answer to this patch request, but you don't swipe to see the next notification; you just wait: [patch request] cycle email notifications This is a preview patch, which means the basic idea has been implemented, but it's not quite finished to the level I'd like it. Currently there is no visual feedback when the notification changes, other than the text is different. The automatic cycling interval is set statically to 5 seconds. You may change it near the end of the patch if you'd wish. I plan to have the dashboards animate when they cycle, and have the cycling interval adjustable in Tweaks.
Thanks, I recall now just asking if it was possible. We have the greatest community ever.
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, geekpeter and Vistaus like this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 01/04/2013, 05:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Oh nice

It's one of the patches laingman requested... i'm sure it'll be a nice surprise when he logs in next time
That is really nice, gonna install shortly. Actually I am surprised more people didnt find that annoying and that it was not one of the very first patches. I just spend a lot of time just looking at webos and asking why not.

Trivia question: What was the very first patch?
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 01/04/2013, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Couldn't install with quick install or internalz, maybe need to delete some email related patches?
Old 01/04/2013, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

It applies fine on my end. What webOS version are you using?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 01/04/2013, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
It applies fine on my end. What webOS version are you using?
Franken pre webos 2.1.0
Old 01/04/2013, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

There's your problem. This is for the TouchPad, so it won't apply right. I've got a copy of the 2.2.2 emulator, though I'm not sure if the code would be the same. If you could send e a copy of the Email app, I can work on it for you.
Old 01/04/2013, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
There's your problem. This is for the TouchPad, so it won't apply right. I've got a copy of the 2.2.2 emulator, though I'm not sure if the code would be the same. If you could send e a copy of the Email app, I can work on it for you.
I'll see what I can do. But this app for the touchpad is needed too cause with all the improvements they made there is still a point where one has open the app. Like they didn't finish the job, thanks again
Old 01/05/2013, 01:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

So we can swipe away and rotate the notifications from the TP, any chance we can patch in deleting from notification like on phones? I want the trash can icon to delete from notification on the TP. The rotating + delete from notification would be the best.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 07:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

I noticed a little side effect when using the patch. The center button LED will turn off every time the notifications cycle. Not sure why it does that, though it probably has something to do with dismissing notifications. Not a big deal, unless you have something with keeping the LED on when an app is active.
Old 03/07/2013, 08:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

I forgot to submit this to Preware. Nothing has changed, but if I have time I may try to get animation working. The patch should be up in a couple of hours.

Edit: I don't think I'll implement animations, because the way the Dashboard kind and the actual rendering DashboardContent is separated. I won't be able to make any animations appear unless I do DOM wrangling, or try to manipulate the dashboard layers, adding sleeps, and annoying the heck out of people with constantly blinking notification light.

Last edited by GMMan; 03/07/2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03/07/2013, 10:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've finished a new version for phones, specifically webOS 2.1.0. It's a lot less elegant than the TouchPad version (mainly because the Dashboard class is tangled in a minified file), but it delivers the same results.

Update: Checked the source file for 2.2.4, and it's identical to the one from 2.1.0, so feel free to give it a try for any webOS phone >= 2.1.x.

Last edited by GMMan; 03/07/2013 at 11:29 PM.
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 03/08/2013, 02:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I've finished a new version for phones, specifically webOS 2.1.0. It's a lot less elegant than the TouchPad version (mainly because the Dashboard class is tangled in a minified file), but it delivers the same results.

Update: Checked the source file for 2.2.4, and it's identical to the one from 2.1.0, so feel free to give it a try for any webOS phone >= 2.1.x.
Great work! Any chance you could post some screenshots?
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 05:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks a lot. Great to have new/improved features for our devices.
Old 03/08/2013, 09:10 AM   #16 (permalink)

Is the phone version on preware too?

Baldric

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 09:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Not yet. I'd like to get confirmation that the patch works on different webOS versions so.I may tick as many boxes as I can when submitting.
Old 03/08/2013, 12:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

I installed with quick install with no problem on my frankenpre running 2.1, didnt have to delete any email patches, At first it didnt work with a luna restart so I did a full reset and now it works like a charm. Happy to report that delete from dashboard still works and no conflicts with advanced email prefs

One of the greatest patches ever.
Old 03/08/2013, 12:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

Good to see it works without having to sort out compatibility.
Old 03/08/2013, 12:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Not yet. I'd like to get confirmation that the patch works on different webOS versions so.I may tick as many boxes as I can when submitting.
Works fine on pre2 v.2.2.4.
Do mind sharing the location of the minified file dashboard file.
I guess you didn't want to mess with the minified code and that's why you did with the email dashboard.
If the patch is done on the mojo framework dashboard then it can apply to all the dashboards that have multiple layers
I'm sure you have that in mind but simple index number or time stamp on the right upper corner could do wonders - adding it might be another thing

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0