Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes
  1.    #41  
    Hey guys. I'm putting together an update that will let you manually set your location. It should be released today, as long as I find enough time to work on it.

-- Sent via mobile
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Added a little color to the app by using Jivesucker weather icons (only had to mod 2 of them).
    The image files are dated (5/1/2005) but still nice.
    I tried searching for the original author of them but had no luck.

Also replaced/modded some of yours with some custom ones.

@Garrett92C
    Let me know if you'd like to get these for use in a future version, or I can just make a Theme Manager theme for Weather Widget with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    not sure what occured but after a reboot mine tells me im in colchester (265 miles away from me) a reboot fixed it, but even pulling it down to refresh and it kept insisting im located in colchester, so the manual option may be handy afterall.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    not sure what occured but after a reboot mine tells me im in colchester (265 miles away from me) a reboot fixed it, but even pulling it down to refresh and it kept insisting im located in colchester, so the manual option may be handy afterall.
    That's an issue with the location you're getting from the GPS service, so there's nothing I can do. However, I do have a new settings menu just about done. Just ironing out a couple little bugs and I'll bring it over to Weather Widget.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by WknThDg View Post
    Added a little color to the app by using Jivesucker weather icons (only had to mod 2 of them).
    The image files are dated (5/1/2005) but still nice.
    I tried searching for the original author of them but had no luck.

Also replaced/modded some of yours with some custom ones.

@Garrett92C
    Let me know if you'd like to get these for use in a future version, or I can just make a Theme Manager theme for Weather Widget with them.
    Oh cool! I haven't really thought about adding icon packs, but it's a good idea. Would be pretty easy to implement too (as long as they're all named correctly). I'll add it to my "Things I'll probably add later" list. lol
    WknThDg likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    That's an issue with the location you're getting from the GPS service, so there's nothing I can do. However, I do have a new settings menu just about done. Just ironing out a couple little bugs and I'll bring it over to Weather Widget.
    this was the touchpad i mentioned, removed it from pre3 as it doesnt really fit in well being the wrong size, i take it instead of GPS, its the google/location wifi service thats messed up then rather than gps?
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    this was the touchpad i mentioned, removed it from pre3 as it doesnt really fit in well being the wrong size, i take it instead of GPS, its the google/location wifi service thats messed up then rather than gps?
    Yea, if the device doesn't have GPS, it uses the WiFi/Google Location Services to get your position. I may have something for your Pre3 later in the week.
    geekpeter and MikeN68 like this.
    cant wait im not too fussed about the wrong location issue atm, its happened 1 single time out of a lot of test and normal launches.
  9.    #49  
    Weather Widget has been temporarily removed from the Preware feeds. Don't worry, it'll be resubmitted soon. More details to come later today.

You can still get it via the link in the first post.
    @Garrett92C
    A few requests/suggestions...

#1a - Change the "iconName =" values of your Widget.jsjsjs $file$ $to$ $the$ $actual$ CONDITION CODES Description names used by the feed.
    Example (for code 33): Instead of using your "l-cloudy-night", use the original Condition Code Description name "fair (night)" and accordingly name the image "fair (night).png".

#1b - Currently, you're duplicating many of the "iconName =" values in your Widget.jsjsjs $file$ $to$ $fill$-$in$ $all$ $the$ $49$ CONDITION CODES (the "status==" values within your "Widget.jsjsjs&$quot$; $file$) $that$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $have$ $separate$ $image$ $files$ $for$.
    Use all 49 of the CONDITION CODES for the .png image file names.
    NOTE: Although there are 49 CONDITION CODES, 3 of them have the same Description name (11 & 12 "showers", 38 & 39 "scattered thunderstorms" and 41 & 43 "heavy snow" so really there's only 46 Description names.
    So instead, duplicate the image files so you can assign 46 different iconNames with the 46 CONDITION CODES Description names.

I've already have done the above and created a new .ipk file that includes the Jivesucker icons that are in the pic of the attachment that I previously posted.
    It includes the duplicate image files that are assigned different file names and the modified "iconName =" values in the Widget.jsjsjs $file$.
    The .ipk file size is 676 KB compared to your original .ipk of 244 KB because of this.
    This modified Weather Widget .ipk seems to work fine and has displayed some of the images that I had applied these changes to.

Doing #1a & #1B, will then allow users the ability to create/use custom weather images (or use other weather icon packs) and easily build their own Weather Widget themes using the same 'standard' with Theme Builder/Theme Manager.

#2 - Just say'n... but since Weather Widget is using the Yahoo! Weather RSS Feed (see Yahoo! Weather - Yahoo! Developer Network), you should also adhere to the Terms of Use.
    An unobtrusive reference to Yahoo! Weather added to the "dash-bg.png" would be best.
    It could then be easily altered by end-users via a theme if desired.

If you would like any of my modified files for a future release (like Widget.jsjsjs $or$ $the$ $new$ .$ipk$ $file$), $just$ $let$ $me$ $know$.
    HP Touchpad 32GB
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by WknThDg View Post
    @Garrett92C
    A few requests/suggestions...

Doing #1a & #1B, will then allow users the ability to create/use custom weather images (or use other weather icon packs) and easily build their own Weather Widget themes using the same 'standard' with Theme Builder/Theme Manager.
    Does Theme Manager support third-party apps? Also, what is the license on those icons you used?

An unobtrusive reference to Yahoo! Weather added to the "dash-bg.png" would be best.
    It could then be easily altered by end-users via a theme if desired.
    Oh yea, forgot to add that back in. I'll be switching away from Yahoo anyway, so it shouldn't matter much in the near future.
  12.    #52  
    If beta testing all goes well (and it has been so far), I'll release the update tomorrow.
    Does Theme Manager support third-party apps? Also, what is the license on those icons you used?

Oh yea, forgot to add that back in. I'll be switching away from Yahoo anyway, so it shouldn't matter much in the near future.
    It's the 1st time I tried Theme Builder/Manager for any third-party app.
    So far everything is OK... all I can tell you is that they both work fine for this app...
    For now, I've only themed Weather Widget with the 1st 6 image files shown in my 2nd attachment in post#42.

I tried searching for the original author of the Jivesucker weather icon set but had no luck.
    Neither was I able to find any license or terms of use info. for them.
    If you Google search for "Jivesucker Weather" you will find several places to download them from.

What will you be using in place of Yahoo?
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    something I noticed is that the weather isn't updated until the touchpad is unlocked then the weather gets updated. It would be great to have it update on wake, so one could just hit the power button to get a quick update on the weather if they wanted without having to unlock. Not a huge deal but I could foresee a negative backlash from the catalog when you make it official.

I'm really not even sure if its possible to get it to update on wake. I'm sure if it is, it would be best to have it as an option fore those that would complain that it wastes too much battery.

also since there may be an options/settings, where the wind speed/humidity is located, option to place high/low w/condition icon under said high/low for next 2 or 3 days could be a nice touch. I have no idea where to start on getting that stuff done through github as I have no coding/app experience whatsoever. Otherwise I'd help out.

anyway take 'em or leave 'em, just thought I'd share some ideas I had while being entertained by the new new on the TouchPad . And while typing this and referencing back through the thread, you mentioned all information displayed was for today, so maybe keeping it that way is best. But we all like options right ?!? ;-)

keep up the amazing work you do! You've got an eye for design!
    <<thread title changed at OP's request>>
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    <<thread title changed at OP's request>>
    Thanks Bev!
  17.    #57  
    Just posted an update! Well, more like a whole new app. Dash Weather will take the place of Weather Widget. Since it's a new app, it uses a new appID and will appear as a separate icon on your launcher. Feel free to delete Weather Widget after installing Dash Weather.

What's new?

- New, more polished UI
    - Added settings menu
    - Added option for dash size
    - Tap to refresh widget. Best for updating it from the lock screen.
    - Added all the bits needed to be a proper AppCat-quality app.
    Last edited by Garrett92C; 09/11/2012 at 10:49 AM.
    Just posted an update! Well, more like a whole new app. Dash Weather will take the place of Weather Widget.

What's new?

- New, more polished UI
    - Added settings menu
    - Added option for dash size
    - Tap to refresh widget. Best for updating it from the lock screen.
    - Added all the bits needed to be a proper AppCat-quality app.
    Can't wait to try this out. Oh, it sucks being at work when the good stuff is released. lol
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    davidtm likes this.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhead View Post
    something I noticed is that the weather isn't updated until the touchpad is unlocked then the weather gets updated. It would be great to have it update on wake, so one could just hit the power button to get a quick update on the weather if they wanted without having to unlock. Not a huge deal but I could foresee a negative backlash from the catalog when you make it official.

I'm really not even sure if its possible to get it to update on wake. I'm sure if it is, it would be best to have it as an option fore those that would complain that it wastes too much battery.

also since there may be an options/settings, where the wind speed/humidity is located, option to place high/low w/condition icon under said high/low for next 2 or 3 days could be a nice touch. I have no idea where to start on getting that stuff done through github as I have no coding/app experience whatsoever. Otherwise I'd help out.

anyway take 'em or leave 'em, just thought I'd share some ideas I had while being entertained by the new new on the TouchPad . And while typing this and referencing back through the thread, you mentioned all information displayed was for today, so maybe keeping it that way is best. But we all like options right ?!? ;-)

keep up the amazing work you do! You've got an eye for design!
    Yea, the only way to get it to update on screen wake would be to use the com.palm domain in my appID. I was trying to avoid that since I was going to put this in the official App Catalog. Since it's staying homebrew now, I can revisit that idea. Shouldn't be too hard. In the latest version of Dash Weather, tapping the widget on the lock screen updates it. This will do until I can add the 'screen wake' option.

I would love to add some forecast info to the widget, but the Yahoo API isn't good for that. The problem with the Yahoo Weather API is that it only gives me data for today and tomorrow. I've been looking around at others and they're either very restrictive or their documentation is a horrible mess (I'm looking at you, Weatherbug). If anyone has an suggestions for a better API with decent documentation, let me know!

Thank you for the kind words. I put a lot of effort into the latest update and I hope it shows.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Can't wait to try this out. Oh, it sucks being at work when the good stuff is released. lol
    There's a preview in the first post. Not as cool as actually using it, but at least you can see what it looks like now. lol
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast