Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By greenoyster
  1.    #1  
    There are a couple of threads that have already reported that MS has made a change to their EAS servers that has cut off EAS Hotmail for many users (not just WebOS devices, but also Android and even Windows mobile!). A moderator on their MS Answers site finally provided some substantive answers today as to what happened, at this link:

Hotmail Sync (EAS) Broken on Mobile Devices - Microsoft Answers

Folks have posted what look like doable but annoying workarounds for this, but what I was wondering was whether our Homebrew Geniuses (and I mean that sincerely) might be able to do something about this issue.

Possible?

Any takers?

Thanks in advance for any meaningful responses!
    Has Microsoft elaborated on the exact cause of the problem? It only seems to affect some users, even on webOS/Android devices.

Also, given that webOS/Android sync *correctly* with different versions of Exchange servers, how is this not just a Hotmail issue?

According to the thread they even had to put in a patch on the server side to revert the behavior for Windows Mobile 6.5, their own product, which means either their server is misinterpreting the protocol or *everyone* got it wrong and the server is refusing to interoperate with them.

I think the ball is still in Microsoft's court at this point.
    Last edited by greenoyster; 06/17/2012 at 05:58 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post
    Has Microsoft elaborated on the exact cause of the problem? It only seems to affect some users, even on webOS/Android devices.

Also, given that webOS/Android sync *correctly* with different versions of Exchange servers, how is this not just a Hotmail issue?

According to the thread they even had to put in a patch on the server side to revert the behavior for Windows Mobile 6.5, their own product, which means either their server is misinterpreting the protocol or *everyone* got it wrong and the server is refusing to interoperate with them.

I think the ball is still in Microsoft's court at this point.
    They have been PMing folks on their Answers site, asking them to try to re-set up their accounts at https://debug-m.hotmail.com and then your supposed to respond back with the exact time and date of when you hit their servers so that they can look at it. I did the above but still haven't heard back from them. One guy just posted that Windows Mobile 6.5 is working again after a one month hiatus, so it looks like they are making server side corrections starting with their own products. Only time will tell if they ever get to WebOS

I was hoping that maybe there was a way to spoof the server to think I'm using whatever OS is working via a patch.

Just wishful thinking?
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    They have been PMing folks on their Answers site, asking them to try to re-set up their accounts at https://debug-m.hotmail.com and then your supposed to respond back with the exact time and date of when you hit their servers so that they can look at it.
    Thankyou for the insight. But it helps too little in mitigate my urgent need to burn fire to Redmond headquarters. I mean, my contacts list is EMPTY, and I now have to carry a PAPER with phone numbers noted down. You know, all this with a smartphone in my pocket?!

One guy just posted that Windows Mobile 6.5 is working again after a one month hiatus,
    ONE MONTH? In their own product? Oh my... And I laughed at the Blackberry people when they had their own e-mail shortage some time ago. I thought "this can't happen to me, I'm with the big boys".

so it looks like they are making server side corrections starting with their own products. I was hoping that maybe there was a way to spoof the server to think I'm using whatever OS is working via a patch.
    That's the only positive idea I've heard of lately. Any takers? Or is the Exchange ActiveSync protocol deep down inside some webOS block that can't be changed?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    If you do a "ps" from a shell you can see that the mojomail-eas process is started up with "Palm Palm/1.0.1" in the arguments.

The startup arguments are listed in /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.eas.service . You need to run "ls-control scan-services" or reboot for changes to service files to take effect.

Probably safest to remove any existing EAS accounts before messing with the user agent type just in case.
    jcmarcos and Grabber5.0 like this.
    If you do a "ps" from a shell you can see that the mojomail-eas process is started up with "Palm Palm/1.0.1" in the arguments. The startup arguments are listed in /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.eas.service . You need to run "ls-control scan-services" or reboot for changes to service files to take effect. Probably safest to remove any existing EAS accounts before messing with the user agent type just in case.
    Hey, that looks brilliant! So indeed, an Exchange ActiveSync client says its name somehow when connecting.

I've been reading a bit about "exchange activesync spoofing", and there are solutions for Android, for those folks working at companies whose Exchange server denies access to anything but Windows Mobile clients (and for a reason).

And... do we know what to replace "Palm Palm/1.0.1" for? As you've mentioned this, perhaps you've done it already?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  7.    #7  
    If you do a "ps" from a shell you can see that the mojomail-eas process is started up with "Palm Palm/1.0.1" in the arguments.

The startup arguments are listed in /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.eas.service . You need to run "ls-control scan-services" or reboot for changes to service files to take effect.

Probably safest to remove any existing EAS accounts before messing with the user agent type just in case.
    greenoyster, it clearly sounds like you know what you are doing. I unfortunately do not. Is what you describe something that could be uploaded to the feeds as a patch downloadable from Preware?
    I haven't tried it myself since my Hotmail account hasn't been one of the ones affected. No guarantee that it'll work.

Not sure if it can be made into a patch -- in the past the patch system had problems with patching service files (see the whole Muffle System Logging troubles).