Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Hey guys,
    I have read through literally dozens of threads where people have the same issues I am having. They have followed instructions on how to put Android onto their Touchpads, but have had no success. Most of the threads I have read go completely unanswered and unsolved, and are therefore no help at all. I am getting ready to chuck my new pad out the window (not that WebOS is bad, but not being able to do something that looks so simple is REALLY frustrating!)

Anyways, at this point, no matter what I do, I cannot get the Palm Novacom service to start (Control Panel -> Services). I am under Windows XP 32 bit and have tried on 2 other computers with the same results (both running XP as well) and with 2 different USB cords. I just recently did a factory reset because of this issue, but that did not seem to clear it. Any ideas?? Is my touchpad just ****ed?
    Hey guys,
    I have read through literally dozens of threads where people have the same issues I am having. They have followed instructions on how to put Android onto their Touchpads, but have had no success. Most of the threads I have read go completely unanswered and unsolved, and are therefore no help at all. I am getting ready to chuck my new pad out the window (not that WebOS is bad, but not being able to do something that looks so simple is REALLY frustrating!)

Anyways, at this point, no matter what I do, I cannot get the Palm Novacom service to start (Control Panel -> Services). I am under Windows XP 32 bit and have tried on 2 other computers with the same results (both running XP as well) and with 2 different USB cords. I just recently did a factory reset because of this issue, but that did not seem to clear it. Any ideas?? Is my touchpad just ****ed?
    did you activate dev mode on the Touchpad?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    did you activate dev mode on the Touchpad?
    Wow, that was a quick reply! Thanks!

And yes, I tried both with Dev mode enabled and without. Same result either way.
    Did you try connecting with novaterm?

Edit: or just Monaco? Let me try that again .... Novacom?

Edit2: I found I can mess up the syntax on novacom, but novaterm usually just works.
    Last edited by Willard; 03/19/2012 at 08:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Did you try connecting with novaterm?

Edit: or just Monaco? Let me try that again .... Novacom?

Edit2: I found I can mess up the syntax on novacom, but novaterm usually just works.
    Is there a simple way to run novaterm? I've only tried Novacom. And I am 98% sure it is not syntax related. Here's why:

Preware installer cannot get the "Palm Novacom" service started and spits out the message:
    "Unable to start the service 'NovacomD'. The following error occured:
    Cannot start service NovaComD on computer '.'.
    [OK]"

I have tried removing and reinstalling novacom drivers from many different sources more times than I can count, rebooting after each reinstall (I must have rebooted 50 times today lol). The touchpad does show up in device manager as bootie.

Not really sure what all this means, but I really appreciate any and all help Thanks again!

Edit: Actually, yes, I did try using Novaterm. No dice, couldn't connect to the touchpad :S
    I just run novaterm from terminal. If the TP is in dev mode it will connect.
    Oh and the TP must NOT be in USB mode. When the TP prompts to switch it usb mode, select cancel.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    The prompt on the touchpad for USB mode disappears before I have a chance to click "Cancel". While I have no doubt I can probably just leave it alone, I mention this because it was "rooted" or "jailbroken" or whatever when I got it. I did a data wipe after getting it, but not sure if that reset everything or not.

When I run Novaterm and hit "Connect" I get the following message:
    Error
    Unable to connect to service
    [Ok]"
    Odd. So does the TP display a USB symbol when connected to the PC or can you still access the webOS interface?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    If I hit the usb in the top right corner, it shows the white usb mode. Otherwise, I can use the webos interface.
    Hmmm... I had a similar issue as you describe but that is everything that I did to ultimately fix the issue. I am sorry I couldn't help you solve it. I don't have windows, so I cannot troubleshoot from that end of the connection.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    It's cool, I really appreciate the effort to help I came from a nook color, and so far I've been impressed with the touchpad community. Definitely did not expect it to be as good as the nook color community, but I've been pleasantly surprised. Hopefully someone else can help figure this out!
    is your java up to date? have you installed webos quick install/updated the novacom drivers/restart your computer after updating the novacom drivers?
    It's probably your OS. There is something running that is prevent NovaComD from running. I suspect it's a port conflict problem. What you should do is check Windows event logs to see if there are detailed errors.

What you should do is run netstat and look for 6968. If that port is running when NovaCom service is not, there is another process running on that port. This is just a piece of advice
    Iíve got a similar behaviour with Windows XP and my Pre3. I cannot connect via the latest Quick-Install (4.4). No problems with Win Vista (32), Win 7 (64) or Linux (64). I had newer tried my TouchPad to connect to XP.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums