webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  TouchPad Patches > [App] [2.x & 3.x] WiFi File Sharing
[App] [2.x & 3.x] WiFi File Sharing
Like Tree44Likes

Old 02/20/2012, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

WiFi File Sharing

Simple wireless file sharing for webOS
WiFi image by BlueRQ

Fed up of USB cables? You've come to the right place. WiFi File Sharing is a Samba controller for webOS, simply open the App and your device will appear as a Network Share in your favourite desktop OS' file browser. Open it up, and transfer away! Your screen will stay on so long the app is in the foreground, so no need to worry about it locking and disconnecting in the middle of something. When you're done, just close the app and it'll automatically disable the network shares until you're ready to use them again.

• Cross-platform.
  • Requires no proprietary software and no configuration- it just works.
  • Free.

Update - 2012.03.05: Gazillions More Shiny Stuff! Newer New Graphics! 96.5% More Exhibition Mode!
v1.4 has just been submitted to the feeds, including new CSS transitions for the popups, the WiFi icon lighting up to indicate samba status, a Workgroup preference, newer new graphics (thanks BlueRQ!) and support for Exhibition mode! Expect it in Preware in a couple of hours.

Update - 2012-03-03: Bugfixes! New Graphics!
After a day of chasing bugs I'm done, and it's fixed. Version 1.3.0 in Preware should fix things for many, if not all. Also, new Graphics by BlueRQ which better suit webOS' style! Many thanks!

Update 3 - 2012-03-01: Now available in Preware!
Both Easy Samba and WiFi File Sharing are available in Preware via the Precentral feed. Enjoy!

Update 2 - 2012-03-01: WiFi File Sharing submitted to Preware!
WiFi File Sharing has been submitted for moderation, expect it live within a few hours.

Update - 2012-03-01: Easy Samba submitted to Preware!
Easy Samba has just been submitted to Preware and should appear in a few hours. I've had to work around some packaging issues with WiFi File Sharing but should be just fine thanks to Rod watch this space!

Update - 2012-02-28: Point Release! WiFi File Sharing 1.1.0 now available!
I've updated WiFi File Sharing to 1.1.0, the new version adds Preferences (With 3 configurable shares) and auto-detects the presence of an ext3fs partition, adding it as a fourth share if it exists. Each share has Active, Writable and Browseable properties. Also, Easy Samba and WiFi File Sharing should no longer run into problems if installed in the wrong order. It's available in the attachments below. Also, take note:
Due to some backend changes YOU MUST UNINSTALL THE PREVIOUS VERSION BEFORE INSTALLING 1.1.0, IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE. READ. THE THREAD. *ahem*

Update - 2012-02-25: Easy Samba IPK Added!
I've knocked together an IPK for easy installation of Samba. Attached below. Install it before WiFi File Sharing, take note that samba is a large set of files, and it will take time to install. It most likely hasn't frozen, so don't worry. Also take note that with the current version, you MUST install Easy Samba before WiFi Sharing, it won't work properly otherwise. Will fix that in the next version .

Original Post:
*ahem* right, marketing mode off.

Before you get started with WiFi File Sharing, you'll need to install a few things. With any luck the folks at webOS Internals will be able to help me simplify the install and get it into Preware, but for now you'll need the following:
Optware Bootstrap
Optware Advanced Linux Command Line Installer
Homebrew JS Service Framework (Many of you will already have this)
wTerm

From there, you'll need to open wTerm and run the following commands:
su
<Enter root password - you'll have set this up the first time you ran wTerm>
ipkg-opt update
ipkg-opt install samba

su will get you to the root terminal, ipkg-opt update will update the package list, and ipkg-opt install samba will (you guessed it!) install samba.

From there, just install WiFi File Sharing with the attached ipk, open it and away you go.

By default WiFi File Sharing provides a preconfigured smb.conf with the following shares:
Public - /media/internal/public, this directory will be created on install. R/W and can be browsed to through Windows Explorer, Finder or your choice of Linux File Manager.
Internal - /media/internal, R/W but not browsable.
You can map it as a network drive in Windows by using \\<DeviceName>\Internal, or in OSX with smb://<DeviceName>/Internal.

If you already have samba installed with your own smb.conf setup, WiFi File sharing won't overwrite it, so feel free to use it as an easy way to turn your shares on and off as and when you need them.

It's a 1.0 release, so the Preferences aren't implemented yet. Don't worry though, I'm working on it! This is my first app, and I just wanted to get it out there. Enjoy!

Changelog
2012-02-28:
  • Added Preferences
  • 3 Stock Configurable Shares
  • Autodetects ext3fs partition and adds as a share

2012-02-25:
  • Added Easy Samba IPK

2012-02-21:
  • Initial Release

Screenshots
Touchpad
Pre3
Attached Files
File Type: zip WiFi File Sharing 1.1.0.zip (57.5 KB, 523 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 03/05/2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Now available in Preware!
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jeanjean, GreenHex, Rnp and 13 others like this.
Old 02/20/2012, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

I already have WiFi PC-to-device sharing. Any way to make device-to-device sharing?
Old 02/20/2012, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

What method are you using for your sharing, just out of interest? And device-to-device is certainly possible, it's just a matter of mounting the other device's network share. I'll consider it as a feature in a future release.
Old 02/20/2012, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
What method are you using for your sharing, just out of interest? And device-to-device is certainly possible, it's just a matter of mounting the other device's network share. I'll consider it as a feature in a future release.
WiFi Media Sync does device to desktop syncing pretty well, thanks for the alternative method!
Old 02/20/2012, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

You're welcome!
Though I'd like to point out that my method is free, and doesn't require installing proprietary sync software. Just sayin'

Edit: Oh yeah, and it works on Mac and Linux too!

Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 02/20/2012 at 08:05 PM.
Liked by kill_Dano likes this.
Thanked By: derausgewanderte
Old 02/20/2012, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ah that explains it a bit better.... I missed the part of not needing the client program. I use WiFi Media Sync, I've had it for quite awhile, since Pre days, it works well. I think I'll wait for the Preware edition, but I think a paid version to allow file transfers between TouchPad and phone wouldn't be a bad idea
Old 02/20/2012, 11:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

not working here. Windows 7 64 bit. I see the "HPxxxxx" device on the network. I can browse down one level and see a folder "memory_card". If I try to go deeper it refuses with an error.
\\hpxxxx\memory_card refers to a location that is unavailable. and then some.
what am I missing?

edit, never mind, I forgot to read half of the original post. back to the drawing board lol

edit1: still no go. updated package list, downloaded, installed samba.
uninstalled your program and reinstalled it to make sure it makes the folder and starts samba.
same error as above.

edit2: got it now. had the wrong slashes when trying to browse to \\HPxxxx\Internal
it's now showing up as Touchpad in explorer with the public folder
brilliant and thank you!

Last edited by derausgewanderte; 02/21/2012 at 12:08 AM.
Derausgewanderte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2012, 07:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I won't go paid since this relies on the Homebrew JS Service Framework, aka getting it into the app catalog is simply a no-go. Donations wouldn't go unappreciated though I think I'll try and knock together an IPK to install samba and simplify the process a bit, terminal stuff can be quite daunting for many users.

Glad you managed to get it working in the end derausgewanderte, no idea what the HPxxxxx device is though... If you didn't have samba installed then it wouldn't have been broadcasting at all. That and none of the preconfigured shares are called memory_card...
Old 02/21/2012, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
Glad you managed to get it working in the end derausgewanderte, no idea what the HPxxxxx device is though... If you didn't have samba installed then it wouldn't have been broadcasting at all. That and none of the preconfigured shares are called memory_card...
I figured out the HPxxxx device. It's my wireless HP printer's memory card slot. I had no idea that's available on the LAN
Derausgewanderte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2012, 07:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

haha, the more you know
Old 02/21/2012, 07:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

atm i use the enyo network drive mapper app so i can access my nas drives, works well, but as stated above i wouldnt mind a direct webos to webos transfer, thus cutting out needing my pc as a middle man.

pretty nice having the option of accessing a webos device direct from pc instead of the other way round.

edit: any chance of detecting a ext3/ubuntu partition and giving that a default share if present.

Last edited by geekpeter; 02/21/2012 at 07:57 PM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 03:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah, that's totally doable, I'll make a note of it for the next version. It'll have configurable shares too- you'll be able to modify Active, Browseable and Writable properties, as well as Device Name and Description.
Thanked by geekpeter, P356A, sledge007
Old 02/22/2012, 04:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

That's worth a $5 donation from me
Old 02/22/2012, 05:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

another thought, is it worth reducing the activation screen into a topbar icon in a similar vain to neato/datajog etc so it fits more seamlessly into the background, or maybe thats a lot of extra work.

edit: donated, already using it a fair bit now, now i solved my garbage windows7/vista shares issues.

currently changed the samba config to add/alter some folders.

---

changed public to downloads, as i use that already for the likes of dropbox/box.net etc.

added in my applications folder : /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications
did so because i sometimes change files to suit my own needs, pictures/music/config files etc from original to what i want

also added in /media/ext3fs for my ubuntuchroot.

lookin good so far, handy productivity increases allround liking it.

Last edited by geekpeter; 02/22/2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02/22/2012, 06:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derausgewanderte View Post
I figured out the HPxxxx device. It's my wireless HP printer's memory card slot. I had no idea that's available on the LAN
Maybe it was configured to share (along w/ the printer) when you installed the drivers.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 07:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Good to hear people are liking the app regarding the notification area thing- it's possible and not too much work, but I don't think you can prevent screen lock from a headless app. If the screen goes off, the WiFi goes into standby and interrupts the share.
Thanked By: geekpeter
Old 02/22/2012, 10:38 AM   #17 (permalink)

looking forward to hopefully seeing this in preware! Good work!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 01:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

for some reason the app wont let me use the pull down menu in the top left or the preferences button at the bottom (pre3) and it doesnt seem to be transmitting as i cant find it on the network (although its on my laptop which also had problems with the wifi TP file browser). ill try and check the latter issue out on my desktop later
jetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 02:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetz View Post
for some reason the app wont let me use the pull down menu in the top left or the preferences button at the bottom (pre3) and it doesnt seem to be transmitting as i cant find it on the network (although its on my laptop which also had problems with the wifi TP file browser). ill try and check the latter issue out on my desktop later
if it worked on the laptop its not the app, chances are if your on vista or winblows7 its all down to what admin tools/services your running and what your not, vista and w7 are utter garbage for standard home users with regards to simple networking, xp was far easier and less annoying when communicating with linux devices such as the touchpad and many of my nas drives.
Old 02/22/2012, 03:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetz View Post
Please actually read the OP before posting issues, the reason behind the preferences menu not being enabled is outlined threrein. And there is no app menu (pulldown).

Since you don't seem to have read the OP, did you install optware, the advanced commandline installer, wterm and samba? Because the app won't work without samba. It's merely an easy-to-use controller, samba does the actual network stuff.
If that's not the case, try mapping it as a network drive by using \\Pre3\Public in My Computer.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0