Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 397
Like Tree44Likes
  1. #161  
    Attached is a palm-log file. While logging was on, I opened up WiFi File Sharing and then changed the netbios name preference.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  2. #162  
    And here's a more detailed log file, with logging level set to info. While logging was on, I opened up WiFi File Sharing, changed the netbios name preference, and then exited the app.

    From these logs, it looks like the Samba service is having some issues.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Stanley Krute; 03/05/2012 at 11:55 AM.
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    I can't find it in Preware on either my phone or my Touchpad. Tapped "List of Everything" in both cases and typed "Enyo". No go.
    It's called Network Drives.
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    @Stanley The service is definitely running then, did the last command successfully change the netbios name in smb.conf? It might be a case of plugging your device in, running 'palm-log -f com.shiftyaxel.wifisharing' from your pc and posting the logs. And I think you can copy/paste via the right click menu in windows' commandline. Oh yeah, and is your workgroup WORKGROUP? I figure it must be since the TP worked, but it's worth asking.

    @BlueRQ Sweet! Tis no trouble, I'll add them in now. I'm definitely up for a separate background for phones & tablets, could you do a Pre2/3 type thing? That way I can use one for phones and one for tablets without having to worry about specific device checks.

    Also, what do you guys say to me removing the bottom bar? I'd like it to look as much like usb mode as possible, but am not sure where to put Preferences/About. Moving them to the app menu would work, but it'd impact the fast user experience imo. Any thoughts?
    I'd say go for it. Having those items in the menu will cleanup the display, and speed is not a concern of mine. Looking forward to your next update!
  5. #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Update! See OP!
    A new version's on it's way to Preware packed with all sorts of goodies, including the ability to set your Workgroup, which should hopefully fix some people's inability to connect.
    1.4.0 update from Preware applied - all works fine (have installed on 2 TPs and 1 Pre2

    NOW TO FIND THE ENYO DRIVE MAPPER AND GET webOS SQUARED WORKING

    I CANNOR FIND THAT TOOL IN PREWARE

    HELP
    Dave
    ... Not really and definitely willing to help.
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Also, what do you guys say to me removing the bottom bar? I'd like it to look as much like usb mode as possible, but am not sure where to put Preferences/About. Moving them to the app menu would work, but it'd impact the fast user experience imo. Any thoughts?
    I like it the way it is. I'm thinking you'll get all sorts of thoughts on this. Go with whatever YOU like. It'll work either way.
  7. #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    It's called Network Drives.
    What feed is it in - I also cannot find it (Network Drives)
    Dave
    ... Not really and definitely willing to help.
  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Krute View Post
    I like it the way it is. I'm thinking you'll get all sorts of thoughts on this. Go with whatever YOU like. It'll work either way.
    +1
    Dave
    ... Not really and definitely willing to help.
  9.    #169  
    @katefields Ah, I'm afraid WiFi File Sharing won't work on 1.4.5, it lacks node.jsjsjs $which$ $is$ $what$ $it$ $uses$ $to$ $execute$ $the$ $commands$. $Why$ $not$ $meta$-$doctor$ $to$ $2$.$x$? $It$'$s$ $relatively$ $painless$ $if$ $you$ $read$ $through$ $the$ $webOS$ $Internals$ $wiki$ $page$, $and$ $you$'$d$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $do$ $loads$ $more$ $stuff$.

    @koehler732 I won't be able to make it do anything without launching the app. It might be possible to make a patch to enable/disable sharing when charging on the touchstone, or I might be able to talk to sconix and see if he can use my samba service in Mode Switcher. And with regards to a media syncing solution, I don't really have any experience in coding extensions. I've heard good things about DoubleTwist though, that syncs music to a user-specified drive/folder.

    @Stanley Lol, you made me think of . Those logs look pretty standard to me, Tellurium seems to be a subscription thing, which my service isn't. Also it looks like the services are all returning okay, I think the last one doesn't return anything but 'true' because of the way I wrote it, though should probably change it for good practice's sake. As for another smb.conf, it's hardcoded to use /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf, but one exists in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/com.shiftyaxel.wifisharing.samba/samba. You might have somehow ended up with a testing version of the script that modifies that one instead, but that seems quite doubtful. Also, the fact that the changes persisted through to Preferences means that the service must be running correctly, because all of those values are loaded in from smb.conf when you first open the Preferences menu. Have you edited smb.conf with Internalz at all? Also, I've had errors changing prefs and stuff while smb.conf is open in Internalz, in case you're watching it whilst testing. What OS version are you running? (Forgive me if I've asked this before, lots of questions, so many answers)

    And I'm thinking of going with icon buttons along the bottom of the screen on a black background, with a toaster/pane that slides up from the bottom for mapping drives. That way it'll look good in Exhibition as well as being nice and simple and like the USB mode screen.
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 03/05/2012 at 12:17 PM.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
  10. #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbackdave View Post
    What feed is it in - I also cannot find it (Network Drives)
    I don't believe it is available in Preware. You have to download it from the forum and install using Quick Install or some similar method.
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    @katefields Ah, I'm afraid WiFi File Sharing won't work on 1.4.5, it lacks node.jsjsjs $which$ $is$ $what$ $it$ $uses$ $to$ $execute$ $the$ $commands$. $Why$ $not$ $meta$-$doctor$ $to$ $2$.$x$? $It$'$s$ $relatively$ $painless$ $if$ $you$ $read$ $through$ $the$ $webOS$ $Internals$ $wiki$ $page$, $and$ $you$'$d$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $do$ $loads$ $more$ $stuff$.
    Thanks for replying.

    I just looked into meta-doctoring and it is just too involved. Burning CDs, fiddling with Linux, warnings in every paragraph--with the end result that some things might end up broken. I'm at a point in my life where I just want something to work. For now my phone just works and is fun and cheap. I like that. So no complaints--just wanted to see if it was possible. Thanks again!
  12. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #172  
    Just upgraded to the latest and now I can't get a connection.

    When I tried to update it, the installation failed. So, I deleted the app (from preware) and re-installed it. That worked OK.

    But my PC won't see it - even if I do a \\192.168.45.101 type connection.

    Give me a clue where to start looking?

    Alan

    EDIT - Fixed - I rebooted the TP and it's fired up OK.
    Last edited by alan sh; 03/05/2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Fixed.
  13. #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    [1] As for another smb.conf, it's hardcoded to use /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf, but one exists in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/com.shiftyaxel.wifisharing.samba/samba.
    [2] Have you edited smb.conf with Internalz at all? Also, I've had errors changing prefs and stuff while smb.conf is open in Internalz, in case you're watching it whilst testing.
    [3] What OS version are you running? (Forgive me if I've asked this before, lots of questions, so many answers)
    [4] And I'm thinking of going with icon buttons along the bottom of the screen on a black background, with a toaster/pane that slides up from the bottom for mapping drives. That way it'll look good in Exhibition as well as being nice and simple and like the USB mode screen.
    1. Lemme go examine the /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf file. And do so on both the Touchpad and the Pre+. Perhaps there are some clues there.

    2. No editing with Internalz

    3. webOS 2.1.0 on the Pre+

    4. haha you are indeed in the Questions-and-Answers maze of twisty little passages that all look alike. Dropping questions and then finding them again is the key to mapping the space LOL !!!

    5. You've got an excellent set of UI sensibilities. Go with 'em !!

    -- stan
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbackdave View Post
    1.4.0 update from Preware applied - all works fine (have installed on 2 TPs and 1 Pre2

    NOW TO FIND THE ENYO DRIVE MAPPER AND GET webOS SQUARED WORKING

    I CANNOR FIND THAT TOOL IN PREWARE

    HELP
    Here's a link to the thread. You have to download the latest one (com.nelsun.networkdrives_1.0.2_all.ipk) to your computer, unzip it, then transfer it to your TP's downloads folder.

    Using Internalz Pro, navigate to media/internal/downloads and tap on the unzipped file. Select "Open", then "Install". Once it's installed, swipe that card away. Open Launcher, go to the Downloads tab, and you should see it.

    As far as the source file, I haven't messed with it yet to know what it does. Sorry. Hope that helps.
  15. #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I'm quite sure that's faster than the USB copy. I need to try this with a bigger file.
    It shouldn't be. USB 2.0 has a theoretical throughput of 480Mbps, minus some overhead (lets say 300Mbps for simplicity). Unless your router is 802.11n (150Mbps, 300Mbps or 400+Mbps on the latest high-end models), you wont even approach that kind of throughput. A WiFi g router would max out at 54Mbps (and b at 11Mbps).

    Then, the Touchpad's WiFi capability is another consideration. It meets the 802.11n spec but Im not sure if that means 150 or 300Mbps. Either way, a transfer over WiFi would have more problems sustaining a given throughput due to the inherent problems w/ wireless. For the near term, USB will be higher and preferred for really huge transfers (many files totaling 6+ gigabytes).

    If you do any tests, try a 700MB movie (1 file) vs a bunch of pics adding up to 700MB. Then try a 2GB file and record the sustained transfer speed. Make sure no other devices are using the same router during the transfers. Those will be your best speeds and it will only decrease from there.

    @Shifty
    The clean look is probably best. Easy access to prefs are cool but think of the use scenario; its usually 'set it and forget it'. So the app menu should serve its intended purpose.
  16. #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    It shouldn't be. USB 2.0 has a theoretical throughput of 480Mbps, minus some overhead (lets say 300Mbps for simplicity). Unless your router is 802.11n (150Mbps, 300Mbps or 400+Mbps on the latest high-end models), you wont even approach that kind of throughput. A WiFi g router would max out at 54Mbps (and b at 11Mbps).

    Then, the Touchpad's WiFi capability is another consideration. It meets the 802.11n spec but Im not sure if that means 150 or 300Mbps. Either way, a transfer over WiFi would have more problems sustaining a given throughput due to the inherent problems w/ wireless. For the near term, USB will be higher and preferred for really huge transfers (many files totaling 6+ gigabytes).

    If you do any tests, try a 700MB movie (1 file) vs a bunch of pics adding up to 700MB. Then try a 2GB file and record the sustained transfer speed. Make sure no other devices are using the same router during the transfers. Those will be your best speeds and it will only decrease from there.

    @Shifty
    The clean look is probably best. Easy access to prefs are cool but think of the use scenario; its usually 'set it and forget it'. So the app menu should serve its intended purpose.
    I agree that USB *should* be faster, but in practice, the webOS devices have had horrible USB transfer speeds. My particular reply was in response to how long it took him to copy 2.9gb to his PC over WIFi. I know it takes longer than that to copy a movie to my Touchpad over USB. Perhaps read vs write is more of a factor. So far, my tests haven't been scientific. It has seemed considerably slower on my work laptop running XP than my Win7 desktop though.
  17. #177  
    I don't mind having the preferences in the bottom bar.. It is certainly much faster to access in the toolbar. The top menu tends to be unused on many Touchpad apps, so I rarely ever try to access it.
  18. #178  
    I getting close to the end of my rope. I cannot see the network share in Windows 7, Windows XP, or in an Android file explorer. In any earlier post ShiftyAxel indicated there should be three files in the opt/etc/samba folder. I only have the .conf file indicating Easy Samba did not install properly. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck. I am not sure where to go from here. When starting WiFi file sharing everything looks correct, only no network shares. Any help would be appreciated.
  19. #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by cldavis3 View Post
    I getting close to the end of my rope. I cannot see the network share in Windows 7, Windows XP, or in an Android file explorer. In any earlier post ShiftyAxel indicated there should be three files in the opt/etc/samba folder. I only have the .conf file indicating Easy Samba did not install properly. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck. I am not sure where to go from here. When starting WiFi file sharing everything looks correct, only no network shares. Any help would be appreciated.
    This may or may not be helpful, but I had to turn file sharing on in my computer before it would "see" my Touchpad. Not sure if that's the problem you're having, though.

    Maybe a good restart of everything wouldn't be a bad idea, too. Hope you find the answer..
  20. #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    This may or may not be helpful, but I had to turn file sharing on in my computer before it would "see" my Touchpad. Not sure if that's the problem you're having, though.

    Maybe a good restart of everything wouldn't be a bad idea, too. Hope you find the answer..
    Thanks, tried both of those suggestions. Still no joy.
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions