Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Does /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/com.shiftyaxel.wifisharing.samba exist?
    Yep. And the samba subdir of that. And therein lies startSamba.sh and the rest of the crew. Dunno why the full command lied.

I cd'd down into that dir, and ran startSamba.sh directly. The shell responses:

Stopping smbd:
    Stopping nmbd:
    Opening ports 137,138 on UDP, 139, 445 on TCP
    Starting nmbd:
    Starting smbd:
    Started up WiFi File Sharing. Still no-go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Krute View Post
    Dunno why the full command lied.
    Doh, my typo this time. The full command DOES run.

Same result, a no-go on getting the share available.
  3.    #143  
    The scripts run independently of the application, so it would seem that it's not working for some other reason... That makes things difficult :s can you pm/post your smb.conf?
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Thank you kindly good sir! that sounds a little strange, it should work that way. I presume you pressed 'Apply' after checking the boxes etc? If that doesn't fix it, can you check all the boxes, hit Apply and send me your /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf?

And @bluerq, they're awesome! I like very much and will definitely be adding them, though the WiFi symbol's edges seem a little sharp. Any chance you could smooth/round them out a bit?
    so any ideas for me to get this working? I posted my samba .conf file the other day. really wanna donate once this works for me!
    can you pm/post your smb.conf?
    pm'd

One thing I noticed: the smb.conf file is not picking up ANY of the setting changes I made and applied via Preferences in the app. For example, I set all available and browseable values to true, but they remain false [other than the Public share] in smb.conf
    Last edited by Stanley Krute; 03/04/2012 at 09:09 PM.
  6.    #146  
    @jeanjean Sorry about that, I lost track with all the stuff going on in the thread. It looks like your smb.conf checks out okay, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on. Would you mind pming/emailing me about it? Easier to keep track of things that way.

@Stanley That's very odd indeed, the lack of settings changes implies that the service isn't running, but the fact you can access Preferences means that it must be. It either sounds like the service is running without admin privileges, or that smb.conf is write-protected. Can you run the following via novaterm and post the output?
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.shiftyaxel.wifisharing.samba/activate {}
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.shiftyaxel.wifisharing.samba/deactivate {}
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.shiftyaxel.wifisharing.samba/getPref '{ "inCategory": "global", "inPref": "netbios name" }'
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.shiftyaxel.wifisharing.samba/setPref '{ "inCategory": "global", "inPref": "netbios name", "inValue": "Pre" }'
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    you already can if both touchpads have samba and enyo drive mapper, just map each other, i do for my touchpad to pre3 and other way round.
    Re: Using this app between two webOS devices

1. Not quite sure what it means to "map" something. Would someone be willing to explain it a little?

2. Will it work between a Touchpad and a Pre -/+?
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    Sorry I don't think I could wait 14 hours for a 200 mb file to send to my touchpad. So yeah I'll just plug it in.
    Why 14 hours? Others have no problems transferring files - including 1GB transfers. Its likely a function of your network. There are an endless amount of network variables... WiFi signal interference, LAN congestion (games, torrents, HD videos, other users, etc.), router issues (try restarting it), PC issues (malware, AV client, firewall, network stack...) too many to list.
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.shiftyaxel.wifisharing.samba/activate {}
    {"reply":"Samba activated.", "returnValue":true}

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.shiftyaxel.wifisharing.samba/deactivate {}
    { "reply":"null, "stdout":"Stopping smbd:\nStopping nmbd:\nClosing ports 137, 138 on UDP, 139, 445 on TCP:\n", "returnValue":true}

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.shiftyaxel.wifisharing.samba/getPref '{ "inCategory": "global", "inPref": "netbios name" }'
    {"category":"global", "pref":"netbios name", "reply":"Pre\n", "returnValue":true}

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.shiftyaxel.wifisharing.samba/setPref '{ "inCategory": "global", "inPref": "netbios name", "inValue": "PrePlus" }'
    {"reply":null, "stdOut":"", "returnValue":true}
    [I changed inValue on the last command since the netbios name was already Pre.

Also: just by the way: has anyone figured out a workaround for the Novaterm can't-copy-nor-paste bug ?? Happy to do lots of typing, keeps the old synapses firing/growing, but it'd be cool to have copy and paste work ...
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    Why 14 hours? Others have no problems transferring files - including 1GB transfers. Its likely a function of your network.
    Yep. I did a 2.9GB backup of my Touchpad to a PC using this tool in approx 9 mins

*** EDIT ****

Whoops, yikes, I musta been sleep-typing, there are no excuses, it was early in the wee a.m., and I'd actually done the test mentioned here via USB connection, apologias gigantes, will test again in conscious mode .....

*** ==== ****
    Last edited by Stanley Krute; 03/10/2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: WHOOPS !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Re: Using this app between two webOS devices

1. Not quite sure what it means to "map" something. Would someone be willing to explain it a little?

2. Will it work between a Touchpad and a Pre -/+?
    the samba profile shifty gives you makes a shares folder called Public, all you do is, add that share to the other device in enyo drive mapper, and the other way around for the other device.

My Pre3 = 192.168.0.7
    My Touchpad = 192.168.0.12

You would probably need static IP's assigned instead of lettign your router do it automatically.

So in enyo drive mapper, my pre3 would mount my touchpads IP : 192.168.0.12/Public
    and my Touchpad would mount my Pre3s IP : 192.168.0.7/Public

so that both "see" each others public folders, ofc thats just using the 1 basic share shifty assigned as default, it can be anything you like.
    Yep. I did a 2.9GB backup of my Touchpad to a PC using this tool in approx 9 mins.
    I'm quite sure that's faster than the USB copy. I need to try this with a bigger file.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    hi everyone!
    hope everyone had a nice weekend...

@ShiftyAxel, sorry for the trouble hahaha, but here's an improved version of the icon, this one corrects the shadows, as they where shown gray in some backgrounds... also the white circle is not as bright, in order to look like webOS icons as calendar, memos or calc... and the size of the touchpad is slightly bigger to match the calc icon size.

The RGB color that matches the dark edges of the backgrounds is R= 3, G= 3 ,B= 3. this is to avoid the edges of the picture to be seen, just like when you connect the touchpad in USB mode...

also, if you want me to, i can make pre and/or veer versions of the icons to match the device... haha... just an idea...

and as always, suggestions are welcome...

RQ
    Attached Files Attached Files
  14.    #154  
    @Stanley The service is definitely running then, did the last command successfully change the netbios name in smb.conf? It might be a case of plugging your device in, running 'palm-log -f com.shiftyaxel.wifisharing' from your pc and posting the logs. And I think you can copy/paste via the right click menu in windows' commandline. Oh yeah, and is your workgroup WORKGROUP? I figure it must be since the TP worked, but it's worth asking.

@BlueRQ Sweet! Tis no trouble, I'll add them in now. I'm definitely up for a separate background for phones & tablets, could you do a Pre2/3 type thing? That way I can use one for phones and one for tablets without having to worry about specific device checks.

Also, what do you guys say to me removing the bottom bar? I'd like it to look as much like usb mode as possible, but am not sure where to put Preferences/About. Moving them to the app menu would work, but it'd impact the fast user experience imo. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 03/05/2012 at 09:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    the samba profile shifty gives you makes a shares folder called Public, all you do is, add that share to the other device in enyo drive mapper, and the other way around for the other device.

My Pre3 = 192.168.0.7
    My Touchpad = 192.168.0.12

You would probably need static IP's assigned instead of lettign your router do it automatically.

So in enyo drive mapper, my pre3 would mount my touchpads IP : 192.168.0.12/Public
    and my Touchpad would mount my Pre3s IP : 192.168.0.7/Public

so that both "see" each others public folders, ofc thats just using the 1 basic share shifty assigned as default, it can be anything you like.
    Wow, thank you!

There are a lot of steps implied here, several of which I am unfamiliar (Enyo Drive Mapper? On a +? Static IP address?)

I'll see if I can get this working on my Pre Plus--unless someone says "Don't waste your time, won't work on legacy devices."
  16.    #156  
    Update! See OP!
    A new version's on it's way to Preware packed with all sorts of goodies, including the ability to set your Workgroup, which should hopefully fix some people's inability to connect.

Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Wow, thank you!

There are a lot of steps implied here, several of which I am unfamiliar (Enyo Drive Mapper? On a +? Static IP address?)

I'll see if I can get this working on my Pre Plus--unless someone says "Don't waste your time, won't work on legacy devices."
    It should work fine on Legacy devices, so long as they're running 2.x. Enyo Drive Mapper is available in Preware, it mounts a network drive to a folder in your filesystem. On a plus, it would probably be \\PrePlus\Public, or something like that (You can check in the WiFi File Sharing Preferences under Device Name). And Static IP can be set by opening WiFi settings, tapping on the connected network and entering it from there, it's all relatively self-explanatory.
    It should work fine on Legacy devices, so long as they're running 2.x.
    Lol, by "Legacy" I mean us 1.x folks. Verizon pluses are at 1.4.5.1. (I know, I'm probably one of the few remaining diehards.)

Enyo Drive Mapper is available in Preware
    Hmm, I can't find it in Preware on either my phone or my Touchpad. Tapped "List of Everything" in both cases and typed "Enyo". No go.

And Static IP can be set by opening WiFi settings, tapping on the connected network and entering it from there, it's all relatively self-explanatory.
    Thanks!
    Thanks so much Shifty for this it works beautifully on both my pre2 and touchpad. Im not so much interested in sharing between the two but will be still be thrilled once an easy option is there. I have two sugestions that I hope make it to your features roadmap.

1) Background opening/closing when placed in exhibition mode. It would make it feel like magic to "dock" my phone or touchpad and be able to send files to it without opening the app.

2) A media syncing solution. I understand that this one may be asking more than is possible and goes against the idea of not needing computer side software but I have searched the internet and haven't found a way to automatically sync an smb drive. I am currently using HP Play beta( which seems to be a casualty of halted development ) and I love that I can select a smart playlist to sync only a few gigs of my most played music. HP play is built on songbird which I may have to switch to, and I understand is extendable so maybe an smb syncing songbird extension could be made? That way if they decided to start working on HP Play again and/or your code is implemented into openWebOS it would be a silky transition.

Last thing I think having the preferences in the app menu is fine since they shouldn't need to be adjusted all that often. Thanks again for all your hard work.
    @Stanley The service is definitely running then, did the last command successfully change the netbios name in smb.conf? It might be a case of plugging your device in, running 'palm-log -f com.shiftyaxel.wifisharing' from your pc and posting the logs. And I think you can copy/paste via the right click menu in windows' commandline. Oh yeah, and is your workgroup WORKGROUP? I figure it must be since the TP worked, but it's worth asking.
    1. No changes in smb.conf Which is why, I imagine, that the data returned from that last call looks so empty.

2. WORKGROUP is a default for Windows networking workgroups. My own network is called Stanville. In Windows, with workgroups, one can still map drives living on devices in other workgroups, so long as they're on the same bit of network. Which is why the Touchpad works.

3. Will get some logs recorded.

4. Don't know how the Windows command line can talk to the Palm. In Novaterm, a right-click indeed brings up a copy/paste menu, but none of those menu commands actually do anything.

-- stan
    1. No changes in smb.conf Which is why, I imagine, that the data returned from that last call looks so empty.
    However, WiFi File Sharing DOES show the changed netbios name setting.

Hmmm. Could it be that these settings are stored in a file other than smb.conf ?? Could there be another smb.conf that is getting used ??

Such an excellent mystery. Of course, when solved, it will all appear simple and obvious .... <grin>
    Last edited by Stanley Krute; 03/05/2012 at 11:21 AM.
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast